PDA

View Full Version : Great example for deus ex 3!

luminar
20th Jun 2010, 23:55
I just started watching a review for bioshock by antisocialfatman on youtube. I just have to say this guy needs to get into game design now! He hit the nail on the head at all point as to why Bioshock is inferior to system shock 2 (a game which I REALLY want to get. By the way does anyone know wether ss1 and 2 would be workable on a fairly basic xp computer?) I really feel like deus ex 3 will be like bioshock is to ss2 similiar but with dumbed down gameplay. Also as with bioshock I feel deus ex 3's saving grace will be storyline. Anyway I really recommend watching this review even if your not interested in bioshock merely for the thought provoking comments on modern game design.

ShadowXOR
21st Jun 2010, 00:09
I disagree. I feel Deus Ex 3 is shaping up to be a much more faithful sequel than Bioshock, and yes, SS2 was far superior. And with a few minor tweaks they will work on XP depending on your hardware.

Unstoppable
21st Jun 2010, 00:12
Bioshock is linear Deus Ex 3 is not.

luminar
21st Jun 2010, 00:21
It may be a truer sequel than bioshock was (well spiritually anyway) to ss2 but not a better game than deus ex or ss2. What kinda tweaks are we talking about?

Keiichi81
21st Jun 2010, 01:34
BioShock was very overrated in my opinion. I remember playing System Shock 2 way back in the day and being legitimately afraid to progress through areas because the game creeped me out so much. With BioShock, I was just like "Ho hum." It just didn't have the same unsettling ambiance that SS2 had.

luminar
21st Jun 2010, 01:50
Agreed. This coming from the guy who when I was younger was afraid of the elites in halo!

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 02:02
If you're running XP and are fit to play most of today's games, then SS2 will be a real *female dog* to run on your machine, but it's possible.

Make sure to get the SS2 tool. It will fix everything you need. I've tried fixing and tweaking all sorts of stuff manually, but just double click on this executable, and voila, all your troubles should be fixed.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=392.msg938#msg938

luminar
21st Jun 2010, 02:07
Thanks! I guess I should have been more specific when I said fairly basic, I meant several years out of date. I doubt I could even play the original halo.

Great_Ragnarok
21st Jun 2010, 06:25
It's very easy to point mistakes for a game that isn't even out because
you are criticizing imagined possibilities. shouldn't be so quick to judge.

luminar
21st Jun 2010, 21:59

Well I would agree but after seeing that demo footage... I can't really pin it but it just feels strange. I was on the fence about TPC until now and I'm definetly starting to dislike it. The takedown that I saw looked ok but I would have liked something slightly more skillful than a hook to the jaw. Although if the others are of a similiar length it wont be too bad.

SquidPirate
22nd Jun 2010, 02:57

Perfectly stated.

I seem to be one of the only true agnostics left around here; in the last three weeks, this site has gone from a place I enjoyed visiting to a place I'm considering deserting altogether. The cool topics of discussion have degenerated into a p*ssing match, largely started by those who are "certain" that DX:HR will be terrible. These people should play the lottery with their new-found psychic powers.

I have no idea how DX3 will be. I am very upset with the dialogue wheel, neutral on TPV, and a fan of everything else I've seen. My impression from the trailers and interviews with the writer is that this will be a very good sequel, and that the cries of "another IW" are tantamount to willful ignorance.

But at the end of the day, we'll see what happens. It's just a shame that the culture 'round here has become so toxic and irrational.

luminar
24th Jun 2010, 04:10
Perfectly stated.

I seem to be one of the only true agnostics left around here; in the last three weeks, this site has gone from a place I enjoyed visiting to a place I'm considering deserting altogether. The cool topics of discussion have degenerated into a p*ssing match, largely started by those who are "certain" that DX:HR will be terrible. These people should play the lottery with their new-found psychic powers.

I have no idea how DX3 will be. I am very upset with the dialogue wheel, neutral on TPV, and a fan of everything else I've seen. My impression from the trailers and interviews with the writer is that this will be a very good sequel, and that the cries of "another IW" are tantamount to willful ignorance.

But at the end of the day, we'll see what happens. It's just a shame that the culture 'round here has become so toxic and irrational.

I have a very similiar point of view. Third person cover and the takedowns are my main concerns. But after a second watching of the videos it looks more tolerable. But maybe thats the desensitisation effect. Oh and regen health.

Invictus Sol
24th Jun 2010, 04:46
I've been much more pleased with what I've seen so far from this game than I was at a comparable stage in IW. It may still end up being a POS, of course, but at this point and time, IMO, there's no real reason to be trashing it (not directed at anyone in particular; I just mean generally).