PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer??? - No, it isn't...

pringlepower
20th Jun 2010, 20:40
http://na.square-enix.com/e310/fan-poweredqa.html#/Deus Ex: Human Revolution

In the new Q&A by Square Enix, the first question asks the DE team if the game'll stay true to its roots.

So Dugas says the usual, different feature, same DE experience, yadda... then adds "Players will still have to deal with the combat, the stealth, the hacking and, in MULTIPLAYER, how to take care of their challengers"

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 20:42
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What a shame. Really, this time. What a shame.

ZakKa89
20th Jun 2010, 20:43
What? It has been said there will be no multiplayer.

pringlepower
20th Jun 2010, 20:44
hey DE had some really sick multiplayer. FPS with augs? cmon
as long as multiplayer doesn't detract from their work on singleplayer, there's no problem.
uh.. right?

Badmaker
If the single player experience will be mind-blowing, i can close my eyes on multiplayer.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
I wonder if this is a mistranslation or something because all other articles/interviews confirmed NO multiplayer.
Weird. :nut:

ZakKa89
20th Jun 2010, 20:48
I wonder if this is a mistranslation or something because all other articles/interviews confirmed NO multiplayer.

Yeah highly possible. With square enix being japanese and all ;p.

Maybe he just meant "multiple people" like in "multiple enemies". and not multiplayer.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 20:48

I think it's probably not a mistranslation, even though Dugas isn't particularly articulate at the best of times. I think that there will, alas, be multiplayer.

Just so long as it's a bolt on feature that didn't take too much time to develop, I guess it's tolerable. Disconcerting, though.

pringlepower
20th Jun 2010, 20:49
seems weird for them to translate from english to japanese, then back to english

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2010, 20:49
Maybe he just meant "multiple people" like in "multiple enemies". and not multiplayer.

Yup, that's what I was thinking.
So don't panic just yet...

Will alert Rene to this and we should get an answer on Monday.

Ilves
20th Jun 2010, 20:50
Multiplayer

Well, it seems rather inevitable. :hmm:

ZakKa89
It certainley will help them sell more games. Lots of "casual" gamers only buy stuff if there is multiplayer included.

Badmaker

This happens a lot, especially when the French, Japanese and English languages are involved :D

@Pretentious Old Man, it has beed confirmed-no multiplayer.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 20:54
This happens a lot, especially when the French, Japanese and English languages are involved :D

@Pretentious Old Man, it has beed confirmed-no multiplayer.

I've been taking Eidos "confirmations" with a pinch of salt for a while now, with a number of games! :o

Romeo
20th Jun 2010, 21:03
Yes, I don't think there is multiplayer to be had. If there was, Eidos wouldn't be sheepishly denying it - they'd be promoting it.

Sulix
20th Jun 2010, 21:05
As long as it doesn't distract from the singleplayer focus...

However, as a rather moderate FPS on it's own ( I guess ), I wonder what kind of features they would advertise to make them stand out in the mass of todays multiplayer shooters. I mean, even one of the teams members said, that the sum of all gameplay core elements makes this game outstanding, while the elements for themself (e.g. the FPS part ) can't compete with all the dedicated games ( as you obviously can't spend that much ressources on it as your competition does ).

Well, I hope, the multiplayer ( if there really will be any ) wasn't just built in to justify the products final price. I'm gonna pay my bucks solely for the single player, the multiplayer is just a nice to have, therefore, I'm also gonna judge the game by it's single player mode. As long as the singleplayer lives up to it's ( awesome ) promises, they shall do whatever helps their sale numbers.

Dead-Eye
20th Jun 2010, 21:06
What do you guys have against multiplayer? Deus Ex had it and it was great, for what it was.

Romeo
20th Jun 2010, 21:08
If it's there, it'll be great fun in my books. If it's not, not a big loss, as I'm always more interested in single-player anyways.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 21:08
What do you guys have against multiplayer? Deus Ex had it and it was great, for what it was.

Agreed, but that was patched in later. If this gets done, it'll be cutting into necessary dev time for the game (cough*Bioshock 2*cough)

I already sincerely doubt that Human Revolution will be anything like as long as the original. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm still finding secret areas and convos 10 years later!

Absentia
20th Jun 2010, 23:58
Doing a search for "deus ex" also brings up the following statement by David Anfossi:

Deus EX: Human Revolution is a reboot. We decided to play with a new main character and new story, but it is based on the same universe, which is very important. During concepting, we decided to make some cameos of different characters and different organizations, which will surprise our fans.

A reboot?!

Exsqueeze me? A baking powder?
Perhaps I'm just being picky about words or getting confused here, but I'm pretty sure that a prequel and a reboot are not the same thing. Yes, the game's setting doesn't require it to be too well constrained by the first game (and boy have they made that clear...) but a 'reboot' seems to imply that it doesn't really have to be constrained by the canon at all, whereas a prequel kinda does.

If they had told us in the beginning that we should view DX:HR as a kind of "spin-off" then I think the initial disappointment would have waned away once we started seeing screenshots. But they advertised it as a prequel, which means it has to make sense, but by the looks of everything so far it seems like that was never their requirement.
I mean, the game looks great, it just makes me feel we've been...used.

Either that or David Anfossi is just wrong.

Tecman
21st Jun 2010, 00:16
Perhaps I'm just being picky about words or getting confused here, but I'm pretty sure that a prequel and a reboot are not the same thing.

The way I've understood that term used in some of the video interviews, it's mostly a bad word choice, but it's also trying to convey to people that aren't familiar with the franchise yet (don't look at me like that) that while it does belong in the universe, it's trying to do its own thing in a way, tackle its own problems. Essentially, marketing in the terms of "Don't be afraid to look at our game if you're not familiar with its predecessors / canon-successors!"

But then again, the usage I heard was "sort-of reboot". :)

Jerion
21st Jun 2010, 00:22
It's a very weird choice of words. It's not a traditional reboot a la Batman Begins because this story ties directly into existing stories in the franchise and universe. It's not a total prequel though because they're making a couple changes (euphemism: updates) to the canon for the late 2020s time period, to tie it closer to a world prediction based on today's reality. The alternative would have been taking from the prediction of 2052 as made from 1998 and then working back 25 years. So in the sense that they're modifying the canon, yes, it's a reboot, but in the sense that it's directly tied into the existing games, characters, and stories, it's a prequel.

So....It's a Preboot?

Fluffis
21st Jun 2010, 00:32
It's not a total prequel though because they're making a couple changes (euphemism: updates) to the canon for the late 2020s time period, to tie it closer to a world prediction based on today's reality.

I have just one question about that:

Why?

Edit: Maybe I should explain myself a bit further... in my world, there are very few words that I abhor. One of the worst ones, in connection to any form of media with a canon, is "Retcon".

Jerion
21st Jun 2010, 00:40
I have just one question about that:

Why?

You'd have to ask the dev team. If I were to hazard a guess though, It'd that it's much easier to ground environments, technology, world themes, politics etc. in reality than working backwards from a pre-exisiting fiction. Hell, most of the tech in Deus Ex (except for the nanotech part) is already on the horizon for us in 2010, and were mere pipe dreams in '98. Transparent displays exist right now, and commonplace holographic displays are probably going to show up in 10-15 years.

Since DX:HR is a fairly self-containted story set in a larger, unchanged event timeline, Retcon in this case really can't do any harm to the other games as long as those stories are respected (which it sounds like they are). All that's changing is the representation of a fictional past that we were told about in snippets. About as harmless as Retcon can get.

Fluffis
21st Jun 2010, 00:48
I hope you're right, Mr. K. I just take issue with one thing:

About as harmless as Retcon can get.

Retcons have a tendency to spiral out of control, if not very closely monitored. They are very, very rarely harmless (metaphorically speaking, of course). I don't think I need to say any more than "Hayden Christensen" and "Return of the Jedi"... do I?

I guess that explains how we go from Adam's augs to Günther and his sticking actuator...

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 00:54

Are you aware of the full extent of what you have just said? DX multiplayer...is...great? Compared to the game which supplied the engine on which it is based...need I even say its name?

So what is it exactly? I would say it was an afterthought, as others have said, experimental and unrealized, made for *****s and giggles.

xsamitt
21st Jun 2010, 00:56
I'd prefer that they sink all their time,money and resources into the Game itself.We don't need a another IW fiasco surly.

Jerion
21st Jun 2010, 01:01
I hope you're right, Mr. K. I just take issue with one thing:

Retcons have a tendency to spiral out of control, if not very closely monitored. They are very, very rarely harmless (metaphorically speaking, of course).

I guess that explains how we go from Adam's augs to Günther and his sticking actuator...

Actually, I had a thought about that specific case. Bear with me here:

Event 1: A late 2020s bloom in Mech Augmentation popularity and technology. Celebrated and Hated new realm of technology and civil debate.

Event 2: Over the next 20 years, Mech Augmentation becomes a well-understood and mature field.

Event 3: At some point in the intervening time span between Events 1 and 4, there is a near-total global economic collapse. Industry slows, taking the pace of R&D down with it.

Event 4: United Nations (?) pays for baseline-suitable augmentations for various UNATCO agents. (When was the last time you saw a government pay out big money for what is considered mainstream-level technology?)

Event 5: JC Denton arrives on Liberty Island, in 2052. At this point Gunther's augs are old and starting to break down a bit, requiring frequent tuneups and maintenance. In addition they were not the fancy models to begin with.

And thus we go from Adam receiving very-high-end experimental mech augs in 2027 to Gunther having low-functionality, barebones mech augs in 2052.

Fluffis
21st Jun 2010, 01:11
Event 4: United Nations (?) pays for baseline-suitable augmentations for various UNATCO agents. (When was the last time you saw a government pay out big money for what is considered mainstream-level technology?)

You got me there. :)
But then again: UNATCO were run by a technology- and knowledge-centric secret organization. I would think they'd trick out their agents with the best materials.

I can go along with Günther's augs starting to break down, but it's kind of weird that they wouldn't hedge their bets a bit. I mean, Paul and JC were, basically, just prototypes.

Anyway, thinking about it along your line of thinking, makes me somewhat less concerned about the retconning. Thanks. :)

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 01:13

Why ask a question that's been answered? How can you read that people have a problem, and never notice pages of explanation? It's been answered generally in posts above yours, and there are threads dedicated to going into, yes, the extremist opinions, but also the most reasonable concerns and facts. The most supportive arguments for MP are based on gameplay that has nothing to do with major components and acclaimed aspects of Deus Ex, and that's when it's not based on pure fantasy notions of what the person would like to see, totally disregarding how development of MP detracts from time and resources and playtesting and level design and storytelling of the intended SP experience.

TrickyVein
21st Jun 2010, 01:15
Dude...chill out. Some of us have terribly short attention spans.

pringlepower
21st Jun 2010, 01:17
I think they're handling the augs perfectly, even if that means they need to adjust the fiction a bit. I mean Deus Ex has always been praised for being grounded in reality, and having a setting that you can relate to (that being the weakness of IW), but the mech-augs really stood out like a sore thumb. Clearly, with the focus being nano-augmentation, the mechs were more of a passing thought, and definitely broke that realism for me. If you look at Gunther or Anna's arms, they just haphazardedly shoved random rods, servos, and plates into the flesh. Not only would be that excrutiatingly painful all the time, it's more of a liability, especially if you get shot in the squishy bits between the motors. Ion Storm was clearly going for that scary scifi look, and it didn't work for me.

Especially in hindsight, 10 years later we can see how advanced actual, non-ridiculous prosthetics are compared to the DE mechs. The DE:HR augs look fictional , but they seem believable, possible. How you can criticize IW for being too futuristic when you defend DE mechs?

JackShandy
21st Jun 2010, 11:40
The interesting thing with a DE style multiplayer is that a lot of multiplayer games already sort of embraced the Deus Ex style. For a start, all multiplayer maps have to have multiple routes, etc, just like a Deus Ex map. Team Fortress 2 kind of provides a simplified Deus Ex style hacking/stealth/rambo style choice in how you approach the battle, just by letting you decide whether to play as an engineer/spy/heavy etc. Hell, even Modern Warfare has an RPG level-up stats system, with different equipment upgrades and everything. All these games are a lot more streamlined/simpler than the Deus Ex multiplayer was, of course.

Weirdly, it seems like multiplayer games are more like Deus Ex than singleplayer ones- not a lot of singleplayer games have really tried/succeeded in the deus ex thing.

René
21st Jun 2010, 14:19
Sorry everyone, but that's just a plain mistake. DXHR has no multiplayer.

I'm not sure how it happened, but we've asked them to fix it.

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 14:57
Thanks. So much misinformation!

Ashpolt
21st Jun 2010, 15:06

Phew, good news. Thanks René.

Kodaemon
21st Jun 2010, 15:22
I have a sneaking feeling the multiplayer will come out as a DLC :rasp:

AaronJ
21st Jun 2010, 15:30
I don't think I need to say any more than "Hayden Christensen" and "Return of the Jedi"... do I?

*erupts to tears*

Dead-Eye
21st Jun 2010, 17:19
...it'll be cutting into necessary dev time for the game (cough*Bioshock 2*cough) !

I think Bishock 2 sucked because it's Bioshock 2. I mean what where you expecting? Something good?

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jun 2010, 21:51
I think Bishock 2 sucked because it's Bioshock 2. I mean what where you expecting? Something good?

You speak to the most ardent Bioshock hater EVAR.

Trioptimum does not approve of you.

http://www.lgclassics.net/files/0001/m010400.png

jtr7
22nd Jun 2010, 01:00

I'm not sure how it happened, but we've asked them to fix it.

Well, they fixed it, all right.

TrickyVein
22nd Jun 2010, 01:10
Just hearing the humming sound which accompanies that Trioptimum logo sends chills down my spine.