PDA

View Full Version : Mary DeMerle - DX:HR Head writer

pringlepower
20th Jun 2010, 09:25
uh... this probably isn't deserving of a whole new thread but
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/19/interview-writing-deus-ex-human-revolution/
well PC Gamer is finally up to date with their deus ex week, and in their interview with the head writer, it says she has experience working on The Journeyman Project, Mysts 3 and 4, and Homeworld 2, which all had fantastic stories.

I guess i'm just strying to raise some hopes, i dunno.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2010, 09:32
I'm glad someone has started a thread to discuss Mary. :)
One of the questions I asked to her (via Jordan for E3) was whether or not the DX:HR story will also be published as a book. I'd love to have a copy to read.

Bluey71
20th Jun 2010, 09:55
I think this is the interview I most enjoyed out of the whole weeks worth. I'm glad she mentioned 'emotional hooks', and what she thought was bad about IW.

The interviewer failed with the Sheldon Picotti thing though, he should have pressed harder. Wimp.

Pinky_Powers
20th Jun 2010, 10:02
Yes, her interview was most excellent. She seems to have a good literary head on her shoulders. Though, her every-day talk is a bit "girlish" and not what you'd expect from a writer. But her ideas and understanding of the craft are quite encouraging.

APostLife
20th Jun 2010, 10:02
I think this is the interview I most enjoyed out of the whole weeks worth. I'm glad she mentioned 'emotional hooks', and what she thought was bad about IW.

Haha, nice! IW was epic fail. It was really really bad. I didn't knew how else it could of stink.

Pinky_Powers
20th Jun 2010, 10:07
Haha, nice! IW was epic fail. It was really really bad. I didn't knew how else it could of stink.

Invisible War was far better than Deus Ex in every way!

Jerion
20th Jun 2010, 10:09
invisible war was far better than deus ex in every way!

It's a trap!

JackShandy
20th Jun 2010, 10:12
Mary DeMerle seems like a classy lady. Nothing more to be said.

BlackDove
20th Jun 2010, 10:19
Interview couldn't have painted a better picture of her.

Definitely a positive source.

Shadowdagger
20th Jun 2010, 10:33
PCG: When was JC born, relative to this game?

DeMerle: Two years later. 2029. Yeah, I think Paul Denton’s, like, eight years old.

So this means that the "Adam-is-the-father"-theory is wrong. Too bad - it would make a really interesting story.

LisuPL
20th Jun 2010, 11:05
It's a trap!

Electronic Old Men and their ...flexibility agree.

Random
20th Jun 2010, 14:35
PCG: But my guess is a brother, and through his associations with the unsavory element of the augmentations industry he gets himself killed, and that’s why Tong is against technology.

Tong was against technology? Since when? It was only during the DX1 story that he decided a new dark age was the best solution, before then he was tech-crazy. That's why JC went to see him to get his killswitch deactivated in the first place, because Tong had all this advanced tech and knew more than anyone about augmentations. Tong's dark age plan had more to do with Bob Page's global communication control, and little to do with augmentation tech.

3rdmillhouse
20th Jun 2010, 15:01

LOL, you funny troll. :rasp: I see you.

AaronJ
20th Jun 2010, 16:12
PCG: When was JC born, relative to this game?

DeMerle: Two years later. 2029. Yeah, I think Paul Denton’s, like, eight years old.

Seven.

Pinky_Powers
20th Jun 2010, 17:44
LOL, you funny troll. :rasp: I see you.

I figured if he was going to make a miserably wrong statement about Invisible War, then I should too. :cool:

Vagelis4DE
20th Jun 2010, 17:59
Tnx for posting..great interview...i liked what i read...shes very close to my way of thinking and playing the game, too...so far i like the way the game seems to go... of course, unless u play it yourself, u never know what it is all about, but hopping it turn out good ... :)

Fluffis
20th Jun 2010, 18:13
That was really interesting, thank you for posting it. It's always nice to see a game from a writer's point of view. Especially about her reaction when seeing Adam doing a takedown. It was really funny, and also... interesting.

AaronJ
20th Jun 2010, 18:17
I too enjoyed this interview. She sounds like a great writer, and she's very well-spoken. Excitement +10.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 18:36
Hmmm. It sounded OK. She seemed well versed in the lore, at least.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but I do expect writers to be somewhat more articulate (and to not put pacers such as "like" after every other phrase), but I guess the fact that she understood IW's problems makes her seem more palatable to me.

(No culinary/cannibal references intended. Peace out)

Dead-Eye
20th Jun 2010, 20:53
She seems like kind of a weird individual.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2010, 21:00
Maybe I'm just getting older, but I do expect writers to be somewhat more articulate (and to not put pacers such as "like" after every other phrase)...

Interesting that Einstein never bothered much with mathematics until he needed it; so you can still be a genius in your field without being particularly articulate at it. Perhaps in Mary's case, her genius lies in imagination and the written word, rather than the spoken.

pringlepower
20th Jun 2010, 21:04
Interesting that Einstein never bothered much with mathematics until he needed it; so you can still be a genius in your field without being particularly articulate at it. Perhaps in Mary's case, her genius lies in imagination and the written word, rather than the spoken.

Maybe it's because she's French? You see Jean-Francois Dugas and Jean-Jacques Belletete saying like a lot too

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 21:05
Maybe it's because she's French? You see Jean-Francois Dugas and Jean-Jacques Belletete saying like a lot too

I thought they were Canadian?

Slaughts208
20th Jun 2010, 21:21
I thought they were Canadian?

Canadian, but from Quebec.

Pretentious Old Man.
20th Jun 2010, 21:30
Canadian, but from Quebec.

Yeah, that was my point, Quebecois as opposed to Frenchmen. ;)

Slaughts208
20th Jun 2010, 22:32
Yeah, that was my point, Quebecois as opposed to Frenchmen. ;)

Bah, they act the same to me =P

Bit anyway, the interview made me hopeful, it seems the writing staff know what the hell they are doing.

xsamitt
20th Jun 2010, 23:38
Well since it's gonna cost 30 million I would imagine EM are taking this project serious enough not to mess it up.

Dead-Eye
20th Jun 2010, 23:55
Warren talked about successes of a game vs. cash input in one of his master class videos. He said that there was a study that found any company that spends more or less then 10 million on a game (in 2002) produced a successful game. But company's that spent around 10 million, the games always did poorly.

St. Mellow
21st Jun 2010, 00:06

RRRRAAAAAAAAAGGG--- Oh, wait, it's Pinky. :p

Marses
21st Jun 2010, 00:07
Maybe I'm just getting older, but I do expect writers to be somewhat more articulate (and to not put pacers such as "like" after every other phrase), but I guess the fact that she understood IW's problems makes her seem more palatable to me.

(No culinary/cannibal references intended. Peace out)

Are you serious? A spoken interview?

It seems like half this forum is willing to jump through four burning hoops to whine about a game that isn't even out yet.

Great_Ragnarok
21st Jun 2010, 03:38
I'm glad someone has started a thread to discuss Mary. :)
One of the questions I asked to her (via Jordan for E3) was whether or not the DX:HR story will also be published as a book. I'd love to have a copy to read.

What was her answer?

Pinky_Powers
21st Jun 2010, 04:33
;1425138']RRRRAAAAAAAAAGGG--- Oh, wait, it's Pinky. :p

Quite right. F**k that creep!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jun 2010, 08:19
What was her answer?

I asked through Jordan; and I don't know if he asked her, he didn't say he had... so no idea. :(

jtr7
21st Jun 2010, 10:47
Are you serious? A spoken interview?

It seems like half this forum is willing to jump through four burning hoops to whine about a game that isn't even out yet.

What's the connection you are going out of your way to make between the discussion of the game itself and someone nitpicking the writer's manner of speech?

And don't confuse a potentially great game with more potentially great Deus Ex. A complaint about something that exists and is known isn't automatically unjustified if it's a part of a whole.