PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution - E3 Trailer Analysis

AaronJ
18th Jun 2010, 21:55
While some elements make me remain a little skeptical, overall I found that this trailer captured the magnitude of the events pre-Deus Ex, and sets up an excellent story to be told.

Also, for everyone that asked, this analysis is so late because it kept failing on YouTube. It's been done for over a week, it's just YouTube.

Watch it here in terrible YouTube-o-Vision! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1g0BZAkDY)

Esnuk
18th Jun 2010, 22:09
The video does not tell the truth. the song is available, and you can find here: http://www.deusex.com/blog/dxhr-cgi-trailer-soundtrack

AaronJ
18th Jun 2010, 22:35
A very epic first sentence. I already edited that in the description.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2010, 00:34
Thank you for this analysis. :thumb:

I noticed the nods to DX1 too, pleased to see you pointed these out.
And about the scientists looking similar to those from IW - this really intrigues me because I've been hoping that DX:HR will tell us more about the original scientists who later modified themselves to become the Omar. DX:HR is about transhumanism and that's what the Omar were - a global black market transhuman syndicate.

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 01:23
I wanted to punch something when he complained about the symbolism being too "in your face". Because Barrett has a nose ring like a bull? That's not "in your face". That sort of imagery is actually quite subtle and cleaver. I think your real problem is that there is symbolism at all.

[/ends rant]

Fluffis
19th Jun 2010, 01:28
That sort of imagery is actually quite subtle and cleaver.

Sharp as a hatchet, one might say?

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 01:32
Sharp as a hatchet, one might say?

It's multi-functioning.

Fluffis
19th Jun 2010, 01:37
It's multi-functioning.

Ah, the new Swiss Army Axe?

AaronJ
19th Jun 2010, 02:09
I wanted to punch something when he complained about the symbolism being too "in your face". Because Barrett has a nose ring like a bull? That's not "in your face". That sort of imagery is actually quite subtle and cleaver. I think your real problem is that there is symbolism at all.

[/ends rant]

Protagonist Adam Jensen has a vivid dream about the Icarus myth, with himself as Icarus. The myth's message is very close to the plot structure of the game.

JC DENTON ON A CROSS.

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 03:45
Protagonist Adam Jensen has a vivid dream about the Icarus myth, with himself as Icarus. The myth's message is very close to the plot structure of the game.

JC DENTON ON A CROSS.

Yes. And how is that a bad thing? Since when have themes and analogies and symbolism become laughable?

Also, Jensen's dream might have just been a trailer thing. I don't care either way, so long as it all works in the context of the narrative.

Sabretooth1
19th Jun 2010, 04:00
TBH, it was a fairly basic analysis with general info and mostly opinion. There was a lot of stuff that you missed that has been pointed out by myself and 2-3 other guys in the original analysis thread. Only new points I saw here were: Barrett-Minotaur link that I had missed, the screen reading Terminal and that the hacker room was the same as the one from the concept art.

Also, agreed 100% with Pinky: the trailer was hardly a bad example of symbolism. What would be good symbolism in your eyes? Adam reading a book titled Daedalus and Icarus, and Other Greek Stories? At least they're trying to get some educated references into the game than just lay a grungy art style with sweaty muscular men whipping aliens.

Fluffis
19th Jun 2010, 04:29
than just lay a grungy art style with sweaty muscular men whipping aliens.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

super...
19th Jun 2010, 04:33
Trailer looks good , thanks for the analysis.

While its all a matter of taste i really like the links between ghost in the shell and the symbolism presented in the trailer. If your making trans-humanist fiction drawing inspiration from ghost in the shell is a great idea.