PDA

View Full Version : Communications jamming

mad_red
18th Jun 2010, 18:22
One thing that I've always found lacking in games is the fact that well-funded organizations tend to have intercoms, earjacks, and whatnot. When a guard sees or hears something suspicious, they sometimes to radio it in. When he hears gunfire or spots a body, the whole area is sure to be on alert. I've heard about a few games that have tried to incorporate this concept into the gameplay, but I've never played such a game. The AI in DX1 was notoriously poor, but at least it some part it meshed well with the gameplay, skill limitations, etc.

Communications jamming is a current technology. It seems useful in that once you're spotted, they'd can't alert the whole area unless they send someone out (or maybe ground lines). And even after the whole area is on alert, it will again buy you some time if you manage to evade and get spotted in another part of the level.

It makes sense to me from a realism point of view. Anyone think it could make good gameplay? Would it be too intrusive/complicated/difficult/not fun/etc.?

On the other hand, can it even be programmed? Anyone ever play a game that includes enemy communications? Was it fun? Was it well implemented?

Kodaemon
18th Jun 2010, 18:29
Yes! Metal Gear Solid 2 (and probably the later games, but I'm a PC guy) did that. When alerted, troops would radio in for reinforcements, and a dispatcher would reply and send them in. You could actually shoot the radio of an enemy troop to stop him from reporting. Some places even had guards periodically reporting in every now and then, and if you took them out, someone would come check up on them.

Basically, it was awesome.

ZakKa89
18th Jun 2010, 18:30
I think it would make for awesome gameplay and would improve stealth gameplay a lot. Sounds terrific.

Hertzila
19th Jun 2010, 16:29
Yes! Metal Gear Solid 2 (and probably the later games, but I'm a PC guy) did that. When alerted, troops would radio in for reinforcements, and a dispatcher would reply and send them in. You could actually shoot the radio of an enemy troop to stop him from reporting. Some places even had guards periodically reporting in every now and then, and if you took them out, someone would come check up on them.

Basically, it was awesome.

Also in MGS3, in which you sneaked in Soviet jungle 1964, not every soldier had radios; intead areas usually had one or two radiomans. So when you were spotted, sometimes you heard "Radioman, call us backup!" after which the aforimentioned soldier started calling. Suppose the poor bastards were dead or soon to be dead, the enemy was left with no way to get reinforcements.

And in both of them and in MGS1, you had chaff grenades, which dispersed a lot of metal chaff around, disabling pretty much everything that used radiowaves (and apparently they also caused an EMP field, since cameras also stopped functioning). Of course, your radar was also disabled, so you could not just throw them around without seriously risking detection. (This has nearly been done with augs in DX1, with the grenade and rocket detonation system, so seeing this as an aug wouldn't be an impossibility.)
And as said, it was awesome in all of them.

MGS4 has these too but enemy radios are very hard to hit without killing them, and chaff grenades are very rare to get, so you seriously won't be using them for anything less than few geckos (a mech) bothering you or at the very end.

mad_red
20th Jun 2010, 15:40
Thanks, that's interesting.

I was always a bit put off by the story in the Metal Gear games, but the gameplay sounds pretty cool. Chaff grenade sounds a bit gimmicky, but I suppose they wanted limited uses. I wouldn't mind seeing comm usage in Deus Ex, then.