PDA

View Full Version : So this is how you treat your fans?

harryfrodo
16th Jun 2010, 23:56
I have been a loyal fan of this franchise for many years. Deus Ex is without a doubt my favorite game of all time. Despite all the harsh criticism, Deus Ex: Invisible War got several playthroughs by my hand. When I heard that Deus Ex 3 was announced, I metaphorically shat my pants. I was happy. But there was stagnant information. I checked this site about once a week, praying for some new information. Concept art and screenshots occasionally rolled through, and while it was enough to impress me, none of my friends cared without the introduction of gameplay.

With the E3 2010 trailer, everything changed. I showed my friends and they shat their pants with glee as though it was their first time blowing up Navarre on the NSF Airfield, hours before initial confrontation. It was glorious, and they were all very excited to see what was new. And then the PC Gamer article was brought to my attention by one of my friends; they were in the thick of the hype as much as I was, and the demo sounded excellent. I wanted to see it. I wanted to see it so bad. And so did they.

I went to the IGN stream feed every day in anticipation. I wanted to see the gameplay so bad. I waited. I sat in pain through the Kinect demonstrations, the Miyamoto fails of the Zelda demo, and the endless prodding by Kevin Butler. Some of it was enjoyable, but to tell you the truth I did it all just to watch Deus Ex 3 gameplay. This afternoon I heard the crucial, golden words. IGN would reveal Deus Ex 3 information. I dropped everything I was doing. I sat right in front of my laptop and glued my eyes to the screen. Minutes passed like hours.

But there it was. Finally! The interview. But as the lines of dialogue strolled past, my anticipation and excitement diminished. There was no controller in either of your hands. I was worried. Was there no demo? And to make matters worse I couldn't even hear the interview over the playback of the trailer I already watched dozens of times. And that's not hyperbole. I really did. And so did my friends.

But it never came. You regurgitated the same information I already knew, and carried off an air of elitism that felt offensive to me, like doing an interview and passing on new information was some kind of menial task. I was annoyed. I was confused. But most of all, I was disappointed. Here it was, your time of glory. Your time to show to the world how amazing your game is. But you didn't. You showed the trailer that has already been viewed 350,000 times and arrogantly spat out information that was given over a year ago. You made the interviewer look like an ******* though it was really your fault for being so ambiguous.

And then I found out that there was a demo. It was being shown at E3. And then I found out that it was behind closed doors. I was no longer annoyed or disappointed--I was left out. So much of my excitement of E3 hinged on seeing Deus Ex 3. You basically knocked the wind out of my sails. It was as if someone outright just walked up and kicked me in the balls.

So this is what is going to happen. All those people that saw that trailer are going to continue being impressed, but are going to hone their sights on better presentation. Dead Space 2 is completely stealing the show. It will end up winning best of E3 awards while nobody knows any better of Deus Ex 3 which, from what I can assume, is of the same caliber. You essentially shot yourself in the foot of properly creating a hype machine all in the name of keeping it all under wraps. And for what purpose?

I just don't understand. Please make this make sense to me.

AaronJ
17th Jun 2010, 00:14
I feel burned as well. Rene mentioned here on the forums that there would be much to analyze in the new E3 trailer. The trailer came out early. I completed my analysis. There was really nothing. I was pretty let down, but then I said "wait, E3 is coming up." No new information.

No more hype for this game. When stuff is announced, **** it. When stuff is released, I'll look.

Worst. Hype. EVER.

chechof
17th Jun 2010, 01:21
You took the words out of my mouth, and i dont think the game will be bad because of this but is just ******* disappointing, still i wont stop entering this forum daily just to watch something new...

but i mean how came to this, gameplay being shown behind-closed-doors that SUCK SO BAD i mean i was waiting FOR THIS AND NOW THEY COME AND TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY GAMEPLAY im not asking about a gameplay of 2 hours or even 10 mins just one of 2 or 5 mins JUST THAT so i can replay it until the game comes :D this is pretty ****ed up, but as i said this doesnt mean the game will be bad or something is just disappointing because we waited so much time for this;

"GAME EXPOSITION!" (<--- This guys doesnt really know what that means) and then we get nothing...:mad2: nevermind be patience i know that ill stop entering the forum daily then one day ill go to gametrailers then there will be "DEUS EX: Human revolution Lethal-takedowns gameplay" or something like that.:hmm::thumb:

sonicsidewinder
17th Jun 2010, 01:22
Passionately spoken Mr. Frodo. But we can't give up yet. There still be The Ring to toss into the crack of doom!

Nuff sillyness. The trailer was the hype machines downfall. If the trailer came out yesterday or even today, it wouldnt have been so bad. But man...something...

I wanted to see SOMETHING god damnit!!! *GRRRRR* :(

mr_cyberpunk
17th Jun 2010, 01:32
I agree, I think we were OWED gameplay footage at this point in time, firstly they over hyped the god damn teaser trailer (with a teaser trailer! WTF?!) and then they released the trailer.. void of any gameplay.

Stop misleading us you bastards. also learn how PR works.

chechof
17th Jun 2010, 01:40
"Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
It appears to be as much of a shooter as it is a role-playing game—and original Deus Ex creators Warren Spector and Harvey Smith aren't involved—and the game's focus on mechanical human implants and a regenerative health system appear to be substantial departures for the series. At least it's fashionable! We're looking forward to seeing more than trailers at E3." http://kotaku.com/5558602/e3-2010-preview-these-are-the-big-rpgs-we-think

I dont know why im starting to think that they are hiding something i dont think they are like so silly to not show anything remember is deus ex so there is going to be surprises :D

nah, i dont know ihqjw3ueyowqw31239821390

mr_cyberpunk
17th Jun 2010, 01:43
They're referring to private screenings there, don't get your hopes up.

chechof
17th Jun 2010, 02:16
Damn! xD

itsalladream
17th Jun 2010, 02:43
QQ. Confirmed release in 9 months or less. Just sit tight.

Big Orange
17th Jun 2010, 02:46
Moderate development problems papered over by clumsy PR?

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 02:46
You took the words out of my mouth, and i dont think the game will be bad because of this but is just ******* disappointing, still i wont stop entering this forum daily just to watch something new...

but i mean how came to this, gameplay being shown behind-closed-doors that SUCK SO BAD i mean i was waiting FOR THIS AND NOW THEY COME AND TELL ME THAT THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY GAMEPLAY im not asking about a gameplay of 2 hours or even 10 mins just one of 2 or 5 mins JUST THAT so i can replay it until the game comes :D this is pretty ****ed up, but as i said this doesnt mean the game will be bad or something is just disappointing because we waited so much time for this;

"GAME EXPOSITION!" (<--- This guys doesnt really know what that means) and then we get nothing...:mad2: nevermind be patience i know that ill stop entering the forum daily then one day ill go to gametrailers then there will be "DEUS EX: Human revolution Lethal-takedowns gameplay" or something like that.:hmm::thumb:

It just annoys me that I sat there counting the minutes, excited to finally see the game in action only to find that the guys being interviewed looked like they didn't even want to be there. They shrugged their shoulders, looked at each other and gave circular answers. It made me feel stupid for getting my hopes up. It made me feel stupid for wasting all those hours just waiting for the golden words to blip onto my screen.

To be fair, DX3 wasn't the only game at E3 I was looking forward to. Fallout: New Vegas, Halo: Reach, Medal of Honor, and Dead Space 2 were all at the top of the list too. But I didn't sit and watch the stream to see them. Still, they all went all out. New trailers, but new gameplay to go with it. You got to sit and watch as Isaac grav pulled arms off the floor and shoot them back as improvised ammunition. Reach's Firefight gets completely reworked and revealed at E3. Space fights. The scope of Reach at this point is so wide I cannot manage to spread my cheeks enough to receive all of its full glory. Nay. I told myself. Deus Ex 3 will be better. It will be glorious. Divine.

Instead, Eidos hands us the same trailer, shoulders shrugged.

I am just perturbed.

KSingh77
17th Jun 2010, 02:47
Yep,in 9 months this game will be release.But wait!We'll have to wait another 9 months,then a year or two.

Suddenly 2012 comes,the world ends and we never got to see the game.

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 02:52
QQ. Confirmed release in 9 months or less. Just sit tight.

Yeah no ****. You're missing the point.

My aggravations aside, the bigger question on my mind is why they made such a decision. It's hard to make a blockbuster when you don't let anyone see it. This is not Final Fantasy. Nobody knows what Deus Ex is, and Square-Enix cannot be dilly dallying on getting the word out on this game to the public if they don't let us see it.

It's true. It's just E3. Not many people watch E3. But more people watch E3 and pay attention to games while E3 is occurring than when it's not. They could have focused our attention to this game right then and there. Instead, gameplay will be released maybe a few months from now when nobody gives a damn and Square-Enix is fighting to publicize this game by word-of-mouth when competing against established franchises that will sell over a million copies in their first week.

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of Deus Ex being a sleeper hit.

ShadowXOR
17th Jun 2010, 02:59
Yep,in 9 months this game will be release.But wait!We'll have to wait another 9 months,then a year or two.

Suddenly 2012 comes,the world ends and we never got to see the game.

lol

Serendip1ty
17th Jun 2010, 03:25
The most plausible reason why we don't see any ingame footage:
The game is too unpolished/buggy atm to be shown to the wide public.

Maybe the team at eidos montreal worked very hard to get an E3 demo out there on time for the world to see but had to cancel it the last week beforehand & decided (with utmost regret) to go with a closed presentation instead.

It's possible isn't it? I mean, why wouldn't they want to show it considering all the marketing hype Square Enix created around the game? It makes no sense & feels like a missed opportunity.

IH-Denton
17th Jun 2010, 04:04
Fresh twitters, people it's OSM!:

sdastous: DXHR the MOST POPULAR game at E3 according to Gamespot http://bit.ly/a7JRiq
good for you

sdastous: DXHR 2nd E2 nomination, and the show is far from being over! Kick butt I say! http://twitpic.com/1xdktf
very good for you

sdastous: DXHR Games Radar "Reason to live" award!! Now that special ! http://twitpic.com/1xf7u6
WUT? Realy? I woud say "Reason to leave" all our hopes.

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 04:30
I'll be blunt. You all (those who are whining about the lack of footage as though its some horrific injustice to humanity) sound pathetic. These guys are trying to do their job as best they can. From what I've heard, they sound like they know what they are doing. Those that are complaining have either never been in a position where they are providing a service to people or have done so, butt forget what it's like to have multitudes of arrogant, self-righteous little cretins like yourselves, b*tching incessantly about why you're hard done by.

The game is going to come out next year sometime, so why not grow up in the meantime and stop acting as though some gameplay footage is going to make it come out faster...or stop acting as though you deserve it because you're a loyal fan...or for whatever reason.

hem dazon 90
17th Jun 2010, 04:34
I have been a loyal fan of this franchise for many years. Deus Ex is without a doubt my favorite game of all time. Despite all the harsh criticism, Deus Ex: Invisible War got several playthroughs by my hand. When I heard that Deus Ex 3 was announced, I metaphorically shat my pants. I was happy. But there was stagnant information. I checked this site about once a week, praying for some new information. Concept art and screenshots occasionally rolled through, and while it was enough to impress me, none of my friends cared without the introduction of gameplay.

With the E3 2010 trailer, everything changed. I showed my friends and they shat their pants with glee as though it was their first time blowing up Navarre on the NSF Airfield, hours before initial confrontation. It was glorious, and they were all very excited to see what was new. And then the PC Gamer article was brought to my attention by one of my friends; they were in the thick of the hype as much as I was, and the demo sounded excellent. I wanted to see it. I wanted to see it so bad. And so did they.

I went to the IGN stream feed every day in anticipation. I wanted to see the gameplay so bad. I waited. I sat in pain through the Kinect demonstrations, the Miyamoto fails of the Zelda demo, and the endless prodding by Kevin Butler. Some of it was enjoyable, but to tell you the truth I did it all just to watch Deus Ex 3 gameplay. This afternoon I heard the crucial, golden words. IGN would reveal Deus Ex 3 information. I dropped everything I was doing. I sat right in front of my laptop and glued my eyes to the screen. Minutes passed like hours.

But there it was. Finally! The interview. But as the lines of dialogue strolled past, my anticipation and excitement diminished. There was no controller in either of your hands. I was worried. Was there no demo? And to make matters worse I couldn't even hear the interview over the playback of the trailer I already watched dozens of times. And that's not hyperbole. I really did. And so did my friends.

But it never came. You regurgitated the same information I already knew, and carried off an air of elitism that felt offensive to me, like doing an interview and passing on new information was some kind of menial task. I was annoyed. I was confused. But most of all, I was disappointed. Here it was, your time of glory. Your time to show to the world how amazing your game is. But you didn't. You showed the trailer that has already been viewed 350,000 times and arrogantly spat out information that was given over a year ago. You made the interviewer look like an ******* though it was really your fault for being so ambiguous.

And then I found out that there was a demo. It was being shown at E3. And then I found out that it was behind closed doors. I was no longer annoyed or disappointed--I was left out. So much of my excitement of E3 hinged on seeing Deus Ex 3. You basically knocked the wind out of my sails. It was as if someone outright just walked up and kicked me in the balls.

So this is what is going to happen. All those people that saw that trailer are going to continue being impressed, but are going to hone their sights on better presentation. Dead Space 2 is completely stealing the show. It will end up winning best of E3 awards while nobody knows any better of Deus Ex 3 which, from what I can assume, is of the same caliber. You essentially shot yourself in the foot of properly creating a hype machine all in the name of keeping it all under wraps. And for what purpose?

I just don't understand. Please make this make sense to me.

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tldr_trollcat.JPG

IH-Denton
17th Jun 2010, 04:39
The game is going to come out next year sometime, so why not grow up in the meantime and stop acting as though some gameplay footage is going to make it come out faster...or stop acting as though you deserve it because you're a loyal fan...or for whatever reason.
Yes, but... even Mickey has a gameplay footage! And there is Warren Spector!! http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266357/?hd=1&tag=top_stories%3Bplay_btn%3B3 :D

KSingh77
17th Jun 2010, 04:41
They are keeping it a secret,more secret than Area 51 or the Illumanti combine.

And if anyone attempts to video record or take pictures of gameplay,they are never heard from again.

hem dazon 90
17th Jun 2010, 04:43
They are keeping it a secret,more secret than Area 51 or the Illumanti combine.

And if anyone attempts to video record or take pictures of gameplay,they are never heard from again.

It's obvious that Eidos is working with Korok from john dies at the end in order to take over the world!

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Jun 2010, 04:45
I'll be blunt. You all (those who are whining about the lack of footage as though its some horrific injustice to humanity) sound pathetic. These guys are trying to do their job as best they can. From what I've heard, they sound like they know what they are doing. Those that are complaining have either never been in a position where they are providing a service to people or have done so, butt forget what it's like to have multitudes of arrogant, self-righteous little cretins like yourselves, b*tching incessantly about why you're hard done by.

I too will be blunt.

Why don't you get off your high horse, preacher man?

I'm a veteran gamer, as are many on these forums. And the reason we're being "pessimistic, whiny *****es" is because as veteran gamers, we know how the industry operates. When several developers have pulled the same **** over and over again, we see patterns emerge before others do. Simply put, we're calling it like we see it. Whether or not you agree with us or even like us is irrelevant, as our calling it like we see it requires no input from the likes of you.

Good day.

/end

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 04:53

Self-righteous? I'm just annoyed they didn't deliver on what is expected. I don't exactly base my entire life around this franchise. I mean for God's sake, I've only written like a dozen posts in the span of seven years.

That being said, it is my favorite, and it annoys me that Eidos Montreal is being incredibly unsupportive to their fans when every other developer is bringing out the big guns left and right.

Or did you forget what E3 was about entirely?

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Jun 2010, 04:57

iz e3 abowt teh buuth baebz?

http://www.shoteka.com/image/E3BB.jpg

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 04:58
irt Deus Ex Machina

Excuse me, but it is you are the arrogant ones, acting as though this is such a huge deal and that its a personal injustice that there is no gameplay footage. As long you know you're being "whiny b*tches", then I suppose that's fine. I'd appreciate it if you didn't act as though your elite status as veteran gamer (a title I suppose I would hold as well), justifies your self-importance - it doesn't. "We see patterns emerge before others do"...who's high horse was that? Haha - the world would be much less interesting without irony.

Anyway, I don't need your permission to disagree with you and certainly won't be told I'm not allowed to either. So I'll repeat my message: if you're to go anything beyond mild disappointment that there was no in game DX:HR footage and whine about it on the forums (as some have been doing on this thread), then you are pathetic...need to give your head a shake and realize that your feelings are a lot less important than you think they are (that means you Mr. Veteran Gamer).

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 05:00
Self-righteous? I'm just annoyed they didn't deliver on what is expected. I don't exactly base my entire life around this franchise. I mean for God's sake, I've only written like a dozen posts in the span of seven years.

That being said, it is my favorite, and it annoys me that Eidos Montreal is being incredibly unsupportive to their fans when every other developer is bringing out the big guns left and right.

Well, your post was admittedly an enjoyable read. I took at as a bit more than 'annoyance' that they didn't deliver on the footage, that's all. And for the record, it's not been me whining about lack of information - never has been.

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 05:04
Excuse me, but it is you are the arrogant ones, acting as though this is such a huge deal and that its a personal injustice that there is no gameplay footage. As long you know you're being "whiny b*tches", then I suppose that's fine. I'd appreciate it if you didn't act as though your elite status as veteran gamer (a title I suppose I would hold as well), justifies your self-importance - it doesn't. "We see patterns emerge before others do"...who's high horse was that? Haha - the world would be much less interesting without irony.

Anyway, I don't need your permission to disagree with you and certainly won't be told I'm not allowed to either. So I'll repeat my message: if you're to go anything beyond mild disappointment that there was no in game DX:HR footage and whine about it on the forums (as some have been doing on this thread), then you are pathetic...need to give your head a shake and realize that your feelings are a lot less important than you think they are (that means you Mr. Veteran Gamer).

It's amusing you keep going on about this "arrogance" and "self-righteousness," calling us a bunch of "veteran gamers," but I think you're misinterpreting my feelings. I don't hate Eidos Montreal. I'm just disappointed and I feel awfully left out. Gameplay footage is there. We just can't see it. What gives? I don't care if the game looks buggy as hell. I mentioned my loyalty to this franchise not because of some elitist griping but because I genuinely love this franchise and want nothing else but to see it succeed.

And I don't feel like showing it off behind closed doors is going to create a success story. It's going to create a sleeper hit.

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 05:05
Read my above post. I'm done with you, it's this Deus Ex Machina d-bag I'm responding too.

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 05:08
Read my above post. I'm done with you, it's this Deus Ex Machina d-bag I'm responding too.

So I'm to be used, abused, and discarded at a whim not by just Eidos but also the hand of other fans?

I no longer know what is home.

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Jun 2010, 05:10

Goodbye! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MngGyN8Q294)

Can't say I'll miss the responses of an EM apologist.

hem dazon 90
17th Jun 2010, 05:13
So I'm to be used, abused, and discarded at a whim not by just Eidos but also the hand of other fans?

I'll treat you right.

KSingh77
17th Jun 2010, 05:20

Home....

Home is where the heart is.

So is the whisky,cigerettes,and a big ass tv screen.

Also the two commando dudes rushing in.

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 05:56
Goodbye! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MngGyN8Q294)

Can't say I'll miss the responses of an EM apologist.

An EM apologist? Who? You mean the guys who are making the f**king game so you can sit their on your fat fa*got a.ss and enjoy the next installment of a legendary game series? Yet you sit there like the f**king snob that you are, nose turned up the people who are making the game when they don't give you a 10 minute gameplay preview of some obscure level that shows Jensen fighting a robot. You obviously don't get it...these people don't owe you anything whatsoever, you are not that important to them. It's absurd that you think that by being a fan of a game series, you suddenly have gained the rights to be treated to demos and previews and whatever else you want...and that that gives you the right to demand anything?

If you don't like how EM is doing things, then gtf off the forums and don't buy the game...it's just that simple. We're trying to discuss the game and you're complaining about how they're not treating you fairly. Just by being a fan of something does not give you the right to b*tch about it. In fact, nothing gives you the right to b*tch about anyone else's hardwork, so shut up and stop acting like a little girl who lost her lollipop.

harryfrodo
17th Jun 2010, 06:15
Why do I get the feeling you're the angriest person in this thread?

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Jun 2010, 06:18
An EM apologist? Who? You mean the guys who are making the f**king game so you can sit their on your fat fa*got a.ss and enjoy the next installment of a legendary game series? Yet you sit there like the f**king snob that you are, nose turned up the people who are making the game when they don't give you a 10 minute gameplay preview of some obscure level that shows Jensen fighting a robot. You obviously don't get it...these people don't owe you anything whatsoever, you are not that important to them. It's absurd that you think that by being a fan of a game series, you suddenly have gained the rights to be treated to demos and previews and whatever else you want...and that that gives you the right to demand anything?

If you don't like how EM is doing things, then gtf off the forums and don't buy the game...it's just that simple. We're trying to discuss the game and you're complaining about how they're not treating you fairly. Just by being a fan of something does not give you the right to b*tch about it. In fact, nothing gives you the right to b*tch about anyone else's hardwork, so shut up and stop acting like a little girl who lost her lollipop.

"While I disagree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it." :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, I don't feel that Eidos Montreal, or any developer for that matter, owes me anything. I'm also well aware that the vast majority of developers care nothing of me or anyone else so much as the money in our wallets and in our bank accounts.

However, I do expect a developer to do what they say. EM said that we would be getting substantial updates at E3. And what do they have to show for it? A recreation of Adam's apartment, interviews that consist of EM employees reading off scripted responses and, yes, of course, a demo that we aren't allowed to see. Not so substantial, is it?

As for me leaving the forums, while that is a possibility in the future, I won't be doing so at the moment. Despite my "negative" and "snobbish" comments regarding DXHR, I still remain cautiously optimistic/hopeful that it will be on par with DXIW, as I seriously doubt it will come even close the being on par with the original DX. As I've said before, if DXHR can't even manage to be on par with DXIW, I will gladly leave the forums and do everything I can to prevent sales of DXHR, much like I did with OFPDR.

Regarding your comments about nothing giving me the right to *****, I have only this to say (http://www.rochester.edu/college/psc/images/Courses/Spring2008/FirstAmendment.png).

"And that's all I have to say about that."

Graeme
17th Jun 2010, 06:40
@frodo

because I am.

@DXMachina

Firstly, about time you said what you did. No, it isn't substantial but so f**king what? Whining about it like this thread is, is not done with the intent of making anything happen. This is pure self-indulgence. If you care that much, send a letter to them, make a thread telling as you did so and although I may not say anything, I wouldn't trash that thread. This is just pointless crying so we can all feel better about ourselves.

Secondly, its substantially obvious to anyone who read what I previously posted that I wasn't referring to your constitutional rights to say what you want to say. I know you think you're slick, but you failed to address my main point. I obviously wasn't advocating that you be censored and arrested for what you're saying. I was using the term 'rights' in a much more general sense...i.e. you have no logical basis for why you deserve to have your voice listened to when it comes to matters of protestation against EM.

So spare me the Voltaire/Beatrice Hall...this isn't a debate concerning the freedom of speech. I need not your permission nor your defense, but thanks.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Jun 2010, 08:18
EM are not ready to release gameplay footage just yet, I'm sure they have their reasons.
If anyone wishes to rant, please do so in general discussion thread. Thank you.