PDA

View Full Version : Destructible Environments?

K.Karisma
15th Jun 2010, 00:37
As it's been confirmed we can punch through walls, what are people's thoughts on the possiblity of destructible environments in DXHR? It seems likely it could just be in certain set-pieces or solely for ''punch through wall, snap guards neck'' maneuvers, but then, i'm sure this game is going to hold a few suprises, whether good or bad.

Although it could be implemented well, it certainly wouldn't feel DX-like for me,

Thoughts?

Jerion
15th Jun 2010, 00:48
As it's been confirmed we can punch through walls, what are people's thoughts on the possiblity of destructible environments in DXHR? It seems likely it could just be in certain set-pieces or solely for ''punch through wall, snap guards neck'' maneuvers, but then, i'm sure this game is going to hold a few suprises, whether good or bad.

Although it could be implemented well, it certainly wouldn't feel DX-like for me,

Thoughts?

Well, flimsy/thin walls can be smashed through with enough force in HR, and small flimsy buildings and such will collapse if major sections are taken out that way. So destruction of some sort will be there, though to what extent we don't know.

Dead-Eye
15th Jun 2010, 00:53
It would be awesome if some building could be destroyed with C4 like in BF:BC2. That would just open a whole world of craziness that was never seen in DX1.

Edit: then again that's more of a Multiplayer thing isn't it? I sure hope we get a multplayer patch after release, like what happened with the old DX.

Jerion
15th Jun 2010, 01:16
Crysis handled it pretty well in single player where flimsy construction and vegetation could be blasted (or punched) apart. Terrain couldn't be altered though, which was a pity but understandable. BF:BC2 SP did not handle it so well, where wood buildings were so much tissue paper. :D

Ashpolt
15th Jun 2010, 01:22
^^ Yeah, I was going to ask if we should be expecting roughly Crysis-level destruction. That would be pretty good, IMO.

Angel-A
15th Jun 2010, 02:07
Plot critical NPCs and all level architecture from DX1 are the two most indestructible substances known to humankind.

JackShandy
15th Jun 2010, 02:22
I've got the feeling it'll be similar to the vents. Well, if you could create vents at will with your fists, and if making a vent would allow you to snap a mans neck.

Pretty much exactly the same, then, really.

Pinky_Powers
15th Jun 2010, 02:40
^^ Yeah, I was going to ask if we should be expecting roughly Crysis-level destruction. That would be pretty good, IMO.

Thank you! I was almost sure you would be against that sort of thing. I brought this up months ago, but Crysis did a great job with that sort of thing. And a Deus Ex game can only benefit from physics with that breadth of ramification.
Crysis 2, which is taking place in New York, is continuing it in a more realistic way... compared to Bad Company 2.

I can't tell you how much I would like to throw a LAM into a building full of hostiles, and have everything inside tare apart in the explosion... and maybe have the building collapse. :D

ArcR
15th Jun 2010, 02:59
It seems like it's walls only. The article that was linked in another thread (I think the one that had the demo) stated that you can see when a wall is weak. Nuances like cracks or maybe a certain type of wood are visible without augs. One visual aug will scan a wall and tell you if it is destructible. I think if you enhance the same Aug you can also see what/who is on the other side. I think it's great. Hopefully we will be able to punch through doors and grates. Maybe when stealth isn't required we can punch through locked items and save on lockpicks (if they're still in).

pringlepower
15th Jun 2010, 03:35
according to some article I read, there are "physics based puzzles" so that, with the flimsy walls might be crysis-inspired

ArcR
15th Jun 2010, 03:42
physics based puzzles make me think of Portal and HL2

Pinky_Powers
15th Jun 2010, 04:17
physics based puzzles make me think of Portal and HL2

And Deus Ex... though it was more subtle about it.

ArcR
15th Jun 2010, 04:57
And Deus Ex... though it was more subtle about it.

Physics: a bit
Physics puzzles: no

Tomb Raider had it in subtle ways.

Pinky_Powers
15th Jun 2010, 05:04
Physics: a bit
Physics puzzles: no

Tomb Raider had it in subtle ways.

Broaden your mind Luke...

Anytime you used a crate to get to a landing or somesuch, that is a puzzle, though an emergent puzzle.

TheYouthCounselor
15th Jun 2010, 07:24
It seems like it's walls only. The article that was linked in another thread (I think the one that had the demo) stated that you can see when a wall is weak. Nuances like cracks or maybe a certain type of wood are visible without augs. One visual aug will scan a wall and tell you if it is destructible. I think if you enhance the same Aug you can also see what/who is on the other side. I think it's great. Hopefully we will be able to punch through doors and grates. Maybe when stealth isn't required we can punch through locked items and save on lockpicks (if they're still in).

That sounds like Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was a very enjoyable aspect of the game.

Broaden your mind Luke...

Anytime you used a crate to get to a landing or somesuch, that is a puzzle, though an emergent puzzle.

They definitely count as stacking puzzles, but there weren't really any physics involved aside from objects moving. There was no consideration into speed, weight, or momentum.

Obnoxious Frog
15th Jun 2010, 11:03

I hope it doesn't feel contrived. I love when this kind of mechanic is employed, but I hate it when it's always conveniently placed right where you need it. The 'bad guys trap you in a room and pump it full of toxic gas, but wait...that wall there looks weak' type of thing.

I like the door/grate idea too. That'd be one hell of an entrance.

Edit: Another thought. Destructible cover would make things pretty interesting.

auric
15th Jun 2010, 12:53
I would hope its limited to things like:

Walls, Windows & Doors made of
- Glass
- Wood
- Concrete

Metal will be his limits
Maybe make some tiny dents.

ZakKa89
15th Jun 2010, 13:13
according to some article I read, there are "physics based puzzles" so that, with the flimsy walls might be crysis-inspired

Link to article please? That sounds really interesting especially because I am a big fan of physics based puzzles. Even if it is really simple/subtle.

TrickyVein
15th Jun 2010, 13:42
I remember that in TRLegend in order to get the gold reward within the secret Karbonek facility in kazakhstan, you HAD to push a certain platform from an elevated position in order for it to acquire enough momentum to slide up again on its overhead rail-track; if you didn't continue to push it all the way along its rails from where it was initially idle, the reward was unobtainable. Good use of physics. Always fun.

El_Bel
15th Jun 2010, 13:52
Plot critical NPCs and all level architecture from DX1 are the two most indestructible substances known to humankind.

Dont be so sure about plot critical NPC's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QV406DsY1M

Pinky_Powers
15th Jun 2010, 15:14
They definitely count as stacking puzzles, but there weren't really any physics involved aside from objects moving. There was no consideration into speed, weight, or momentum.

You spoiled kids these days! You see complex systems like Havok, and can't imagine a lesser system having anything to do with physics. When Warren Specter was making his interview-rounds for Deus Ex, the "impressive physics engine" was a major talking point. It was mind-blowing to have a system where you could pick up and move almost anything.

You might not see crate-stacking as a physics game. But in 2000 it was. :)