PDA

View Full Version : Which platform would you most likely get DX:HR for?

Rindill the Red
13th Jun 2010, 21:24
Just wanted to see where people were on this with the issue of "consolization" floating around.

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 21:25
PC yo! PC rulz! :eek:

-~::Edit::~-
Ah, a poll!

Um, without a doubt a store-bought copy.

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:29
Windows, Definitely. Store-bought too. High-five Pinky!

Ilves
13th Jun 2010, 21:29
I'm so confused right now. Did I just enter an alternate reality? :nut:

edit: No really, where'd the other thread go? Was it... pirates?

Rindill the Red
13th Jun 2010, 21:35

Depends, you see the same black cat walk by twice?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:36
Windows DVD, no question.

PS. Collectors' Edition

Tecman
13th Jun 2010, 21:37
I'll get it on Steam if it's available (and it should be, damn it), otherwise Windows DVD.

ZakKa89
13th Jun 2010, 21:38
pc duh. on DVD.

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:42
Depends, you see the same black cat walk by twice?

You know, I did. And what the hell...the windows just disappeared.

Kodaemon
13th Jun 2010, 21:45
I'll get it on Steam if it's available (and it should be, damn it) Only, ONLY if the boxed copy doesn't require Steam. If it does require it, I won't be getting the game at all until there's a workaround.

Irate_Iguana
13th Jun 2010, 21:46
If I buy it; windows, DVD. Everything else is communism.

Kodaemon
13th Jun 2010, 21:47

This.

Tecman
13th Jun 2010, 21:51
Mmm. Thinking about it, SupCom 2 was a Square-Enix product and it was based on Steamworks. I hope you don't get shafted... :(

I just want both of us to be happy: a clean DVD version for you guys and the Steam version for people like me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/tecman).

Fluffis
13th Jun 2010, 21:53
Steam or D2D, or whatever online-store has it, most likely. Windows, of course. :-)

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:53
Mmm. Thinking about it, SupCom 2 was a Square-Enix product and it was based on Steamworks. I hope you don't get shafted... :(

I just want both of us to be happy: a clean DVD version for you guys and the Steam version for people like me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/tecman).

So was Just Cause 2. Didn't have any trouble with that.

Kodaemon
13th Jun 2010, 22:01
I won't rant again about how Steam sucks for people with weak internet connections, since that's old. Instead, I'll mention how Valve's recent update broke half of the mods for Source-based games (http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/new-update-breaking-new-and-old-mods/). Yay for messy bloatware!

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 22:07
I won't rant again about how Steam sucks for people with weak internet connections, since that's old. Instead, I'll mention how Valve's recent update broke half of the mods for Source-based games (http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/new-update-breaking-new-and-old-mods/). Yay for messy bloatware!

Source engine problems relate to DX:HR how?

Kodaemon
13th Jun 2010, 22:09
Not do HR, to Steam. The problem could be largely avoided if not for Steam's mandatory updates.

Spartalk
13th Jun 2010, 22:11
I chose download because my laptop has no disk drive, but I'm also buying the collector's edition, just to get the stuff.

Kodaemon
13th Jun 2010, 22:15
I chose download because my laptop has no disk drive, but I'm also buying the collector's edition, just to get the stuff.

If you're buying the (boxed, I assume) collector's edition anyway, wouldn't it be smart to just transfer the game to the laptop via an external hard drive or something? Buying two copies like that just seems like a collossal waste of money.

Tecman
13th Jun 2010, 22:18
Not do HR, to Steam. The problem could be largely avoided if not for Steam's mandatory updates.

I could point out that you can set a game to not update itself, but I've seen that functionality break as well. :(

(and don't get me started on Relic patches... redownload the entire game, yay!)

St. Mellow
13th Jun 2010, 22:19
PC physical copy, like with any other game.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 22:51
Xbox 360

eGO_Duality
13th Jun 2010, 22:58
I guess it really depends on any differences between the systems and how big of a resource hog it would be for the PC.

I'd definitely say PC unless somehow the 360 offered more.

ShadowXOR
13th Jun 2010, 23:03
Why not the option for multiple?

I will probably get it for Xbox 360 because I think it's a great system and I enjoy achievements.

However I want the full Deus Ex feel which to me is a PC, so I'll probably get the PC version too. This is likely what I'll buy.

Xbox 360 Collector's Edition plus PC Steam version.

I have physical media, if I have the option I always get digital. No reason not to.

Kruxs
13th Jun 2010, 23:04

Well, paint me red and call me Pinko! :rasp:

super...
13th Jun 2010, 23:26
ON LIVE!

having played games over on live myself i think it will be a fantastic way to play this game.

Also it will feel more like your in the future because it's all cloud computing!

maybe i will get a physical copy some time down the road, you know for nostalgias sake. maybe even forgo a dvd edition in favor of like 12 CDs

Ashpolt
14th Jun 2010, 00:54
If I buy it, it'll be PC and store bought (or more likely bought online - Play.com have a lovely habit of letting you pre-order PC games for £17.99.) Personally I hope it'll then run on Steam, because I like not having to have the disk in the drive.

MaxxQ1
14th Jun 2010, 01:07
The only platform it *should* be played on: The PC. And store-bought - not having a physical disc makes me paranoid.

If it's good enough, I may buy a second copy for my kids to play on their 360, but since they don't live with me, I don't have to put up with having a console in my house.

sonicsidewinder
14th Jun 2010, 01:35
PC for inevitable modability.

Gaunt88
14th Jun 2010, 01:53
360, cos it's the only thing I have that's capable of playing the game. No way in hell my laptop will be able to handle it.

ShadowXOR
14th Jun 2010, 05:45
The only platform it *should* be played on: The PC. And store-bought - not having a physical disc makes me paranoid.

If it's good enough, I may buy a second copy for my kids to play on their 360, but since they don't live with me, I don't have to put up with having a console in my house.

Are you my grandma?

Slaughts208
14th Jun 2010, 05:51
Store-bought copy PC DVD.

Romeo
14th Jun 2010, 06:03
Option 5: PC (Storebought) if my laptop can handle it, and if there's an SDK. Otherwise, Xbox 360. Hell, judging by the screens, my laptop wont be able to run it, so I'm just gonna go ahead and pick the 360. lol

Sotsiak
14th Jun 2010, 06:44
PC, physical copy.
I like to have a nice collection of hard copies with their manuals etc etc.
Of course If I buy the game.

DisaFear
14th Jun 2010, 07:41
Depends on the price, over here in Aus, hard copies are so overpriced, therefore imay go Steam
Otherwise, I love those shiny boxes with their shiny manuals and the shiny disk!

Ceri
14th Jun 2010, 07:42
Either PS3 or Xbox. Whichever port is more refined.

rokstrombo
14th Jun 2010, 07:59
I'm going to get it on Steam. I don't like to have software boxes taking up space, especially since they are often only used once. Seems to be kind of a waste to me.

MaxxQ1
14th Jun 2010, 08:03
Are you my grandpa?

Fixed.

Not hardly. Not unless you're a 2 week old baby born 5 weeks early. ;)

Ceri
14th Jun 2010, 08:05
I'm going to get it on Steam. I don't like to have software boxes taking up space, especially since they are often only used once. Seems to be kind of a waste to me.

I like to collect the boxes and the manuals. Especially if they're shiny.

II J0SePh X II
14th Jun 2010, 08:27
Been console gaming since 1979, wouldn't dream of gaming with a mouse and keyboard. XBOX 360.

Badmaker
14th Jun 2010, 08:53
Pc ftw

7h30n
14th Jun 2010, 09:29
PC physical copy (although that will be like month late in my country)

I hope it goes with awesome manual (I love reading those)

super...
14th Jun 2010, 11:52
those of you without a PC that can take it (myself included) should really look into OnLive, they will have the game and honestly the games look fantastic over the service.

TezJaggs
14th Jun 2010, 12:02

why is it the only platform it should be played on?
pc elitists like u make me sick.
its a shame for your *edited out*

Destroyerzero
14th Jun 2010, 12:09
I would do two things :) Just like I do with the Original DeusEx as for some reason EIDOS-published/developed games work well...

1) I would have the game on Windows 7, which works fine.

2) I would use Linux + Wine (or the other programs for playing games) to see if I can make it work combined with an Nvidia card.

I wont touch it with a console because it looks like when the game is released most of us will have to upgrade our comps to make the game look good.

Badmaker
14th Jun 2010, 12:14
@Destroyerzero, what specs u have atm ?

@TezJaggs, fail

TezJaggs
14th Jun 2010, 12:17
@Destroyerzero, what specs u have atm ?

@TezJaggs, fail

fail???
are you a nerd?

ilweran
14th Jun 2010, 13:31
As I played DX on PC then PS2 and IW on Xbox then PC, I'm thinking I'll play it on PC first (assuming we've managed to buy a new one), then on 360.

If we've not bought a new PC it'll be 360 only :(

Sotsiak
14th Jun 2010, 13:54
why is it the only platform it should be played on?
pc elitists like u make me sick.
its a shame for your *edited out*

I am not the one who will answer to your question, because you didn't quote me.
But a fair warning, if you continue to reply like that and poisoning threads, we will not see your posts for much longer.

TezJaggs
14th Jun 2010, 14:16
I am not the one who will answer to your question, because you didn't quote me.
But a fair warning, if you continue to reply like that and poisoning threads, we will not see your posts for much longer.

i dont really care, i am fed up of reading all these posts by these stupid pc elitists mugs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2010, 15:52
Check your PM box... the rest is up to you.
I never make a polite request twice, so I hope you will do what I asked you to do.
If not, I'll do it myself and you're outta here. Job done.

All up to you now...

K.Karisma
14th Jun 2010, 16:05
Yeahh...there was no real need for that ''only platform it should be played on'' rubbish, or Tez's response. Anyway, 360 for me, i've always had terrible computers and I don't really have the money for upgrades, 360 just makes it a pretty simple process.

Rindill the Red
28th Aug 2010, 15:43
And here it is.

Khaeru
28th Aug 2010, 15:48
from Steam, if the game it's worth.

Dr_Bob
28th Aug 2010, 16:08
Instead, I'll mention how Valve's recent update broke half of the mods for Source-based games (http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/new-update-breaking-new-and-old-mods/). Yay for messy bloatware!

Wow, you think Steam sucks because of an engine update to a classic game?

Valve have repeatedly stated that it was completely the modders' responsibilities to ensure that their mods are updated to use the most recent engine files.

I may not know the specifics, but I do know that it's not Valve's fault and Steam does not "suck" because of the update.

Mandatory updates ensure that everyone is running the same and latest version of their software.

As for what version I will buy, I am at a loss here.

The thought of a physical copy entices me, but if it's a Steamworks title, then I will definitely consider buying it on Steam for the inevitable pre-purchase discount.

If I buy it, it'll be PC and store bought (or more likely bought online - Play.com have a lovely habit of letting you pre-order PC games for £17.99.) Personally I hope it'll then run on Steam, because I like not having to have the disk in the drive.

Me too, I love just running games by double-clicking the executable, without having to fetch the disc just to confirm that I "own" it (see Mass Effect 2).

Bad Company 2 handles this very well; during installation, you can choose to have online authentication, as opposed to the other option of disc-checking.

Daeda
28th Aug 2010, 20:13
Depends on whether I can get a review copy or not. If not, probably PC...

luce
28th Aug 2010, 22:40
Playstation 3 if it isn't a botched version like it usually is.

Unfortunately I don't have a beefy enough PC

pha
28th Aug 2010, 23:09
;1418427']PC physical copy, like with any other game.

This.

Slack
28th Aug 2010, 23:52

yeah ... they censored me ... sad, but true.

Dead-Eye
29th Aug 2010, 06:11
I just hope it isn't a games for windows live title. I can handle steam works title but a live title would be the last nail in the coffin for me never buying the game.

Dr_Bob
29th Aug 2010, 11:58
I just hope it isn't a games for windows live title. I can handle steam works title but a live title would be the last nail in the coffin for me never buying the game.

GFWL fails on so many levels.

Attempting to emulate Xbox LIVE on the PC was a big and costly mistake.

xsamitt
29th Aug 2010, 12:23

I fear this as well.

bryt
29th Aug 2010, 17:30
i'll be buying this game on Steam... but i'll also get it on PS3 or store bought PC-DVD if there are any limited edition packages that are worth buying. Steel case + art book + soundtrack + behind the scenes.... i have a weakness for such stuff.

i always like laughing at behind the scenes video game documentaries because most of the time... the people they interview sound absolutely retarded in their justifications for the things they did. If you are curious about what I'm referring to... the Halo 2 documentary was a hilarious example.

Anasumtj
29th Aug 2010, 19:15
i always like laughing at behind the scenes video game documentaries because most of the time... the people they interview sound absolutely retarded in their justifications for the things they did. If you are curious about what I'm referring to... the Halo 2 documentary was a hilarious example.

Complete with Hoobastank soundtrack, no less.

nathanj
29th Aug 2010, 20:57
pc without a question.........this of course will be determined by how the game actually plays. normally i would up and buy a game like this such as i did with fallout 3 and oblivion but this game falls into the category of "watching youtube gameplay videos first". consoles are too limited in every area i can think of....graphics, physics, controls, load times, etc.

if there are too many viewpoint changes and to many cutscenes ill wait for the bargain bin or for a really good steam sale. i have a dozen or so games that i bought that i havent even started or havent finished yet, and several others are coming out fairly soon such as the witcher 2. i certainly dont have a shortage of stuff to keep me occupied. :)

ROCK STARTIST
29th Aug 2010, 21:49
PS3, this will be barely be my fourth game since I bought the system 2 years ago. Although thats subject to change if I don't pick up the widely acclaimed Red Dead Redemption or the upcoming LA Noire in the Fall.

Rindill the Red
29th Aug 2010, 23:20
yeah ... they censored me ... sad, but true.

Lol. Time-warp conversation.

phlebas
30th Aug 2010, 02:06
Windows, store bought DVD like most people here. Although it would be great if Eidos offer people with physical DVD versions a download version as well, just in case we need a backup (like what blizzard did with sc2).

mad825
30th Aug 2010, 03:43
Windows, store bought DVD like most people here. Although it would be great if Eidos offer people with physical DVD versions a download version as well, just in case we need a backup (like what blizzard did with sc2).

SE/Eidos≠Blizzard/Activision

in other words: they simply wont.

singularity
30th Aug 2010, 03:57
Simple choice. Not a fan with the way the PC market is run and haven't been for almost 8 years. Besides, my laptop can't handle it (I'm sure). Right now I could buy 2 used 360s for the what it would likely cost to get my laptop into "DX condition".

Sadly, 360 has become my gaming platform of choice over the last few years. Plus, it's hassle free, no codes, DRM, or compatibility issues... sorry, but I'm happy to take the hit in graphics to save money, know for a fact I can play it all the time, and not have to worry about being treated like a criminal by the company I just gave my money to.

Also, I have a lot of friends who are now very interested in DX with the release of the upcoming sequel. A 360 copy I can pass around and have everyone borrow, in the hopes of making them converts. That's a little harder to do with a PC version.

If the mod community for the title really takes off, I'll buy it again in a year or two for PC.

Tverdyj
30th Aug 2010, 05:11
PC, without a question. probably a DVD, but i'll see some reviews first.
hope my lappy can handle this, my videocard's not the best, but I never owned a console, would never entertain the idea of spending money on something that's just for games and no other purpose (sorry, I grew up in Eastern Europe, where Nintendo was a sign of extreme luxury), on top of which, if it's a true DX game, it needs to be played with keyboard and mouse to account for all the possible options (and also to let me map out the input the way I like instead of what the devs made for me).

avenging_teabag
30th Aug 2010, 07:12
PC is my only option.

DXeXodus
30th Aug 2010, 11:38
Most definitely PC. I am just really hoping that we are not forced to use Steam or GFWL. Not that I have anything against them, it is just that I do not have an internet connection for my gaming machine at the moment.

Dr_Bob
30th Aug 2010, 14:04
Most definitely PC. I am just really hoping that we are not forced to use Steam or GFWL. Not that I have anything against them, it is just that I do not have an internet connection for my gaming machine at the moment.

If only Steam had a method for offline activations.

gh0s7
30th Aug 2010, 17:36
PC only, and probably will be a physical DVD unless of course Steam has a "better offer". :)

sesc
30th Aug 2010, 18:02
PC DVD, says it all

Angel-A
30th Aug 2010, 19:50
Oh my, 72% for PC. If this game suffers from consolization, I swear to God...

Welly, I'll be using a PC myself.

pha
30th Aug 2010, 23:24

This is the part where someone will say "the forum community doesn't accurately reflect the customers (so we can shaft the PC version as we please)".

actripxl
1st Sep 2010, 01:20
I played the first 2 on PC's, but I don't need all that horse power so now I just use a Macbook. Thankfully the PS3 is getting this and the decision was easy especially after the douchbag move from MS to raise Live.

Xenoc
1st Sep 2010, 07:59
Microsoft Windows - Download

ikeblade
15th Dec 2010, 19:56
Which system are you going to get Deus Ex: Human Revolution on, and why?

I'm torn between PC and PS3, personally. Always worried about lag on PC but the controls are better in my opinion.

EDIT: Gah, how do I make it a real poll?

Corpus
15th Dec 2010, 20:04
I've ordered for PC, no idea if I can run it. Gonna cost a bomb if I end up buying for PS3.

Darth Eclipse
15th Dec 2010, 20:07
I'm getting it for my Xbox 360...Because my PC sucks.

Sear
15th Dec 2010, 20:35
PC. Never been much of a console gamer.

MaxxQ1
15th Dec 2010, 20:41
I believe there's already an existing poll for this subject. IIRC, it was pretty much in favor of PC.

Edit: Found it, on page 9: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=110047

Deus_Ex_Machina
15th Dec 2010, 20:48
I'm picking it up (used) for XB360.

IH-Denton
15th Dec 2010, 21:07
resurrection

CoDEllite
15th Dec 2010, 21:29
xbox 360 duh

Shralla
16th Dec 2010, 00:39
I'm picking it up (used) for XB360.

So you're really already that dead-set against the game?

3nails4you
16th Dec 2010, 00:46
PC the day it comes out :D can't wait.

Deus_Ex_Machina
16th Dec 2010, 01:57
So you're really already that dead-set against the game?

As I've said before in other threads, I've already decided for myself that DXHR will be an interesting enough cyberpunk FPS with RPG elements, but it won't be a true DX game, certainly not comparable with the original DX.

Since I feel that way, I might as well pick it up used so EM doesn't get a dime from me.

3nails4you
16th Dec 2010, 02:19
As I've said before in other threads, I've already decided for myself that DXHR will be an interesting enough cyberpunk FPS with RPG elements, but it won't be a true DX game, certainly not comparable with the original DX.

Since I feel that way, I might as well pick it up used so EM doesn't get a dime from me.

Well TECHNICALLY, they have probably built into the price the fact that the people who buy it new will, with a certain percentage, likely be reselling it, so if not directly, they are getting some of your money in a more economic-philosophical sense.

The person you buy from surely bought it planning to resell it, so a certain amount of money he invested into the game was set aside so that he would only be paying PART of it, and you are really paying for the other part.

Darth Eclipse
16th Dec 2010, 03:23
but it won't be a true DX game

Well, considering it's called Deus Ex: Human Revolution it technically is a Deus Ex game.

Daracus
16th Dec 2010, 03:27
PC, if a SDK is announced and eventually released. If not, then I'm skipping DXHR completely.

Rindill the Red
16th Dec 2010, 03:32
If Invisible War was a true DX game, then you can keep your DX games and give me Human Revolution!

Though, I must say I would have preferred the name, Deus Ex: Multiple Hour Chasms.

Pinky_Powers
16th Dec 2010, 03:35
PC, if a SDK is announced and eventually released. If not, then I'm skipping DXHR completely.

But then you'll miss out on the PEPS gun!! :eek:

Geralt z Rivii
16th Dec 2010, 05:13
Pc ;)

AlexOfSpades
16th Dec 2010, 05:30
I wont be playing Deus Ex Human Revolution because i was here in the forum two years ago and Eidos didnt heard me when i asked for the main character to be named "Alex Of Spades" and have my picture in the cover.

Therefore no way i'm buying that game >: (

Also i told them not to include third person takedowns because that would make me ignore all the story, artistic concept, amazing soundtracks, high replaying value, state-of-the-art graphics and overall innovations, since all that matters in a game is that there's no third person.

Also, i'm stuck in time and i cant play anything that doesnt look or feel like 1999.

So i'm not buying this game at all.

Gosh, really. **** you guys.

Deus_Ex_Machina
16th Dec 2010, 05:58
If Invisible War was a true DX game, then you can keep your DX games and give me Human Revolution!

Though, I must say I would have preferred the name, Deus Ex: Multiple Hour Chasms.

Invisible War was not a true DX game IMO.

lithos
16th Dec 2010, 06:23

This is the part where someone will say "the forum community doesn't accurately reflect the customers (so we can shaft the PC version as we please)".

THE ARE NO AMERICAN TANKS NEAR BAGHDAD.

Seventy-six-point-five-five percent (at time of writing)?! That's silly. It's quite obvious that the people voting are just massive trolls who have no intention on buying the game and have only joined the forum to stir up trouble. Everyone knows PC gaming's dead and that it's just not worth developing for PC, because no one actually uses one for gaming.

Anyone who does play this game on PC will be a pirate, because they've got to justify the ignorance of the platform somehow. As we all know, piracy does not exist at all on other platforms:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/used.jpg

Haven't you been listening to the PR spin? If you're interested in this game - hell, even if you know of its existence at this point in time - then it's not for you! It's designed for people who have never played a game before in their life - it's much more sensible to appeal to an unknown market than a known one. Duh. The PC market might be a big one, but, because we know nothing of the segment of the population that hasn't played a game before in their life (the target demographic of Deus Ex 3,) it could, quite possibly, be one hundred-billion-kajillion times bigger. That's not unreasonable, given the knowledge of that demographic.

So it just makes sense to appeal to the non-gamers. It's the only logical thing to do! The shareholders demand it!

spiderferi
16th Dec 2010, 06:36
PC . An original pc game could be played by a console ?:rolleyes:

Donvermicelli
16th Dec 2010, 06:49
I'm one of those people who likes their game boxes as proof that they were there at the beginning, so I'm definitely getting it from the store and for PC too. Should anything in the form of an SDK ever be released I will have found a new place to spend my free time.

EDIT:

THE ARE NO AMERICAN TANKS NEAR BAGHDAD.

Seventy-six-point-five-five percent (at time of writing)?! That's silly. It's quite obvious that the people voting are just massive trolls who have no intention on buying the game and have only joined the forum to stir up trouble. Everyone knows PC gaming's dead and that it's just not worth developing for PC, because no one actually uses one for gaming.

Anyone who does play this game on PC will be a pirate, because they've got to justify the ignorance of the platform somehow. As we all know, piracy does not exist at all on other platforms:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/06/used.jpg

Haven't you been listening to the PR spin? If you're interested in this game - hell, even if you know of its existence at this point in time - then it's not for you! It's designed for people who have never played a game before in their life - it's much more sensible to appeal to an unknown market than a known one. Duh. The PC market might be a big one, but, because we know nothing of the segment of the population that hasn't played a game before in their life (the target demographic of Deus Ex 3,) it could, quite possibly, be one hundred-billion-kajillion times bigger. That's not unreasonable, given the knowledge of that demographic.

So it just makes sense to appeal to the non-gamers. It's the only logical thing to do! The shareholders demand it!

The industry has grown up.

For some reason it fits perfectly there.

cartridge
16th Dec 2010, 07:33
PC all the way... Once I see some gameplay.

7h30n
16th Dec 2010, 09:23
I'm gonna buy it for PC. But I'll wait to see if it is worth my money

SyphonX
16th Dec 2010, 09:25
I'm willing to bet that most of the people claiming "they won't buy DX:HR new", are people that buy every Call of Duty on-or-near release date.

Just sayin'.

Some exceptions may be present.

Irate_Iguana
16th Dec 2010, 09:40
Gosh, really. **** you guys.

So you finally cracked. :(

Kvltism
16th Dec 2010, 10:22
PC - retail copy.

MaxxQ1
16th Dec 2010, 11:11
Well, considering it's called Deus Ex: Human Revolution it technically is a Deus Ex game.

Sure, and Warren could have called Epic Mickey "System Shock: Epic Mickey", but that wouldn't make it a System Shock game.

You really don't get what he's saying?

Slapping a name on something doesn't automatically - technically, or otherwise - make it that something. "Deus Ex" is more than just the name.

neilthecellist
17th Dec 2010, 08:04
PC. Direct X 11, hello?!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Dec 2010, 12:51
Sure, and Warren could have called Epic Mickey "System Shock: Epic Mickey", but that wouldn't make it a System Shock game.

Is there something in the narrative, characters etc of Epic Mickey that relates to System Shock? :eek:
Wow, never knew that....

Joking aside. Kind of a far-fetched comparison imo.
DX:HR draws upon elements of DX. We obviousy haven't been given all the details (and many of us don't want to know as would rather play the game to find out for ourselves), but we've already seen the likes of Tong and the Versalife street sign.

It's a Deus Ex game. :cool:

Jerion
17th Dec 2010, 16:16
There's more to a sequel than simply redelivering the same thing with new sets though. It's not that closed of a definition.

MaxxQ1
17th Dec 2010, 16:23
Is there something in the narrative, characters etc of Epic Mickey that relates to System Shock? :eek:
Wow, never knew that....

Joking aside. Kind of a far-fetched comparison imo.

No, not really. I was simply being ridiculous, to show how silly the assertion is that because Deus Ex: Human Revolution has "Deus EX" in the title, it *must* be a Deus Ex game.

DX:HR draws upon elements of DX. We obviousy haven't been given all the details (and many of us don't want to know as would rather play the game to find out for ourselves), but we've already seen the likes of Tong and the Versalife street sign.

It's a Deus Ex game. :cool:

Name-dropping Tong and Versalife does *not* make it a Deus Ex game.

As you said, we don't have much information to determine that it's *not* a Deus Ex game, but the opposite is true as well - you don't have enough information to determine that it *is* a Deus Ex game. That is simply your opinion based on the info we have, whereas my (and others) assertion that it's not a DX game is also our opinion. Is our opinion less valid than yours, when it's all based on the same information?

Unless Jerion has been slipping you info on the sly...

There's more to a sequel than simply redelivering the same thing with new sets though. It's not that closed of a definition.

Was this directed at me? If so...

I understand that. I'm not asking for DX with updated graphics, you know. Based on the info we have, I have not gotten the DX vibe from this game. That vibe is what makes DX what it is, and it's missing from DX:HR - so far as I've seen. You have a bit of an advantage, but you'll forgive me if I don't change my mind based on one man's opinion.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Dec 2010, 16:57
Apparently, you believe that DX:HR should not contain "Deus Ex" in the title. I think this is ridiculous.
BUT, I have no wish to argue with your opinion, you're entitled to it.

You know, just the fact that it has Deus Ex in the title strongly suggests to me that EM have made a DX game. Logically speaking, that is. Otherwise they studied and played the original game(s) for absolutely no reason at all. That would be absurd, don't you think? It's a DX game. I'm 100% sure of it.

We'll have to wait and see. I doubt I'll be disappointed - but I can't speak for you, obviously. :)

Still, this is off topic and I'm so bored with reading these arguments.
This thread is about which platform we would most likely get DX:HR for.
Let the discussion continue...

Jerion
17th Dec 2010, 16:59
Was this directed at me? If so...

I understand that. I'm not asking for DX with updated graphics, you know. Based on the info we have, I have not gotten the DX vibe from this game. That vibe is what makes DX what it is, and it's missing from DX:HR - so far as I've seen. You have a bit of an advantage, but you'll forgive me if I don't change my mind based on one man's opinion.

Directed at you, and others. Don't strawman this- I'm not talking about that silly DX with shiny graphics bit. ;)

You look at some of the sequels out there, and all they are is the same formula, in fact pretty much the same thing with new sets, new places, new faces. That's one end of the spectrum, with the other being the much-disapproved-of slapping of the franchise name on a title and calling it a day. A sequel isn't restricted to the one end. That's all I was saying.

Now, as for not getting the DX vibe -- and that's really as good a measure of a sequel as anything for this -- based on the way they've marketed this game, I don't think that's ridiculous. The video material they've been putting out hasn't shown that. They've been marketing an action game, which although that might sell, doesn't convey the larger understanding of this title.

Pinky_Powers
17th Dec 2010, 17:01
Name-dropping Tong and Versalife does *not* make it a Deus Ex game.

How about the fact that Manderley has a prescience in the game? Or that Human Revolution is about the same themes of H+, corruption, Cyberpunk? No? How about that it takes place in same universe, and holds true to the continuity of the Deus Ex Bible?
And then of course there's all the gameplay comparisons (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1415105&postcount=22)...

But no, you're right, it's only Deus Ex in name. :rolleyes:

MaxxQ1
17th Dec 2010, 18:10
Apparently, you believe that DX:HR should not contain "Deus Ex" in the title. I think this is ridiculous.

I did not say that, not directly at least, and I can see how you might think that.

I have every reason to believe that EM *want* to make a good DX game - I just don't think, based on what I've seen so far, that they have succeeded.

Not completely anyway.

Thank you. At least you and a few others realize that opinions are valid, no matter which side they support.

You know, just the fact that it has Deus Ex in the title strongly suggests to me that EM have made a DX game. Logically speaking, that is. Otherwise they studied and played the original game(s) for absolutely no reason at all. That would be absurd, don't you think? It's a DX game. I'm 100% sure of it.

We'll have to wait and see. I doubt I'll be disappointed - but I can't speak for you, obviously. :)

Call me cynical, but my impression is that putting Deus Ex in the title is nothing but a name-recognition grab. I'm not saying that everyone knows the DX name, but enough do that it will catch their attention.

Admittedly, I've only become that cynical over the past couple months. Back when all this started, I was as hopeful and enthusiastic as you. Some changes they've made are good (hacking, improved AI, conversations, etc.) and others are not good, IMO (third-person anything, no locational damage, no melee, etc.) On the other hand, I've gone from absolutely hating health regen, to accepting it, simply because I feel it's a decent compromise between the original DX and Halo-style that we originally feared it would be.

Still, this is off topic and I'm so bored with reading these arguments.
This thread is about which platform we would most likely get DX:HR for.
Let the discussion continue...

Agreed. After this post, I'll drop it.

Directed at you, and others. Don't strawman this- I'm not talking about that silly DX with shiny graphics bit. ;)

Oh, I know. I just threw that in there because I could see *someone* saying it, and since it's one of the biggies in Copypasta, it deserved to be mentioned here at *some* point.

You look at some of the sequels out there, and all they are is the same formula, in fact pretty much the same thing with new sets, new places, new faces. That's one end of the spectrum, with the other being the much-disapproved-of slapping of the franchise name on a title and calling it a day. A sequel isn't restricted to the one end. That's all I was saying.

100% agreed.

Now, as for not getting the DX vibe -- and that's really as good a measure of a sequel as anything for this -- based on the way they've marketed this game, I don't think that's ridiculous. The video material they've been putting out hasn't shown that. They've been marketing an action game, which although that might sell, doesn't convey the larger understanding of this title.

Thank you. That's all I've really been saying, and why I've stressed so much that my opinion (that this is not a DX game) is based solely on what has been publicly revealed.

I admit though, that your opinion after your playthrough raised my hopes somewhat, but again, I can't change my mind based on one man's opinion.

How about the fact that Manderley has a prescience in the game?

Prescience? Is Manderley somehow predicting the events of DX in HR? :D

Oh... *presence*! I get it now. Well, TBH, I forgot that he was in it as well. But, to answer your question, no, it doesn't make a difference. Again, based on the info we have, my opinion is that it is *not yet* a Deus Ex game.

Or that Human Revolution is about the same themes of H+, corruption, Cyberpunk? No? How about that it takes place in same universe, and holds true to the continuity of the Deus Ex Bible?
And then of course there's all the gameplay comparisons (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1415105&postcount=22)...

Any game could include all of that and still not be a Deus Ex game. As I said to Jerion, I'm just not getting the vibe. That *may* change in the future, if we get more info and EM/Squeenix stop marketing the game as an actioner. As of now, I will not call it a Deus Ex game. I'm not completely off the game though. I still wear my DX:HR T-Shirt and DX3 hat I bought from the EM store a few months ago. I still mention it to others, and try to point them this way, although I've mentioned before that most people I talk to about it aren't interested because it's not like CoD, Halo, GoW, and has no MP component.

But no, you're right, it's only Deus Ex in name. :rolleyes:

Now you're just being petty. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right. I'm only voicing my opinion, and backing it up with what I know. Unfortunately, I'm not eloquent enough to be able to put my feelings down in a way that people might be able to understand.

Kodaemon
17th Dec 2010, 18:14
Manderley has a prescience in the game

Manderley has psychic powers now? OMG, they really are making this a Metal Gear Solid game! :eek:

MaxxQ1
17th Dec 2010, 18:14
Manderley has psychic powers now? OMG, they really are making this a Metal Gear Solid game! :eek:

Ninja'd! :rasp:

Kodaemon
17th Dec 2010, 18:18
Drat and double drat!

Pinky_Powers
17th Dec 2010, 18:33
Unfortunately, I'm not eloquent enough to be able to put my feelings down in a way that people might be able to understand.

Nah, I get what you're saying, I do. I just can't understand it.

You take everything I brought up, all the gameplay, all the setting, all the themes and characters and connections... if you look at them as individual pieces, you're right, any game could have a few of 'em. But if you take it as a whole, you have a product that could only be considered Deus Ex.

And thus my immense frustration with the repetitive sentiments that it should have been called something else. It's senseless! :eek:

nomotog
17th Dec 2010, 18:53
80% for PC. I am both surprised and not by this. This is the most PC militant console hatting form I have ever been on. Don't be offended I don't go to many forums. On the other hand. My wall-mart has all but stooped selling PC games. I went to buy my copy of FalloutNV for the PC and they didn't have a copy. I had to go to game stop and they only had one copy. A pre-order that no one wanted, so they didn't order any extra PC copys. PC gaming is dieing and dieing fast. Of course PC gameing has been dieing for years before today and it can't truly die till we put molding on console, but my pie in the sky crystal ball says that PC gaming will be dead before SC heart of the swarm.

68_pie
17th Dec 2010, 19:19
Nah, I get what you're saying, I do. I just can't understand it.

You take everything I brought up, all the gameplay, all the setting, all the themes and characters and connections... if you look at them as individual pieces, you're right, any game could have a few of 'em. But if you take it as a whole, you have a product that could only be considered Deus Ex.

And thus my immense frustration with the repetitive sentiments that it should have been called something else. It's senseless! :eek:

I guess nothing will be as Deus Exxy as Deus Ex thus the questioning of HR's Deus Exness.

Jerion
17th Dec 2010, 19:22
I guess nothing will be as Deus Exxy as Deus Ex thus the questioning of HR's Deus Exness.

Eloquently spoken, sir!

Entropy
17th Dec 2010, 20:38
Pc ftw.

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Dec 2010, 20:56

You know, just the fact that it has Deus Ex in the title strongly suggests to me that EM have made a DX game. Logically speaking, that is. Otherwise they studied and played the original game(s) for absolutely no reason at all. That would be absurd, don't you think?

I'm not necessarily accusing EM of this, but Codemasters did exactly that with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Throughout the development cycle they touted it as "a true sequel to OFP" and they also claimed "we're all massive fans of OFP". Long story short, Codemasters lied their asses off.

Again, not accusing EM of this, but it does have a basis within the industry, and OFPDR is not the only example.

charrrrr271
18th Dec 2010, 11:37
was going to on xbox but apparently there is no multiplayer so ill get a store bought DVD for pc and hopefully it will be modded in. still, im much more excited about the single player, i would just like to see some of the mods the community might create

[FGS]Shadowrunner
18th Dec 2010, 11:43
Store bought windows, probably will buy the quickest/cheapest and later buy a collectors/GOTY version. I'll use the first one to recruit.

Would a moderator be able to shed light on the Japanese market please? I presume this will sell in Japan, but on what platform? Also I would be interested to know about the first title, if it sold in Japan and what platforms.

And guys, can't you see already in the EG vids, that is Deus Ex lol. A lot of it seems very like the first title as well, textures, conversations etc.
I appreciate a lot of people don't care, they want gameplay, but obviously calling it Deus Ex, the devs will be concentrating hard on living up to that as well.

Ashpolt
18th Dec 2010, 15:44
I'm not necessarily accusing EM of this, but Codemasters did exactly that with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Throughout the development cycle they touted it as "a true sequel to OFP" and they also claimed "we're all massive fans of OFP". Long story short, Codemasters lied their asses off.

Again, not accusing EM of this, but it does have a basis within the industry, and OFPDR is not the only example.

Yeah, I don't get this "argument" either.

"Hello there sir, would you like to buy some wine?"
"Maybe, but that stuff you're holding is black. Wine shouldn't be black."
"It's a modern wine for the modern wine drinker. Have a smell!"
"It doesn't smell like wine. It smells like coke."
"No, it's wine. It says 'wine' on the label, see, right there? Have a taste."
"It tastes like coke."
"Well, I assure you our company set out to make wine, and it says wine on the label. Thus, this is most definitely wine."

Alai
18th Dec 2010, 22:09
Windows for me. I just love to use my Logitech G13 + my Razer Naga mouse. These things are blazing in terms of computer gaming. I once played a game against a guy who swore to use a console-gamepad, and ran around circles of him hitting him in the eyes before he even knew what was happening. He said, "what's a circle-strafing goddammit!"

CHANCE-PHOENIX
18th Dec 2010, 22:45
on pc/laptop ...

CHT
21st Dec 2010, 11:08
On my PC if it supports the 360 controller natively! :D
Does anybody know if it will?

lithos
21st Dec 2010, 11:24
Windows for me. I just love to use my Logitech G13 + my Razer Naga mouse. These things are blazing in terms of computer gaming. I once played a game against a guy who swore to use a console-gamepad, and ran around circles of him hitting him in the eyes before he even knew what was happening. He said, "what's a circle-strafing goddammit!"

You know how the Xbox and PCs were meant to be able to network with each other? Cross-platform multiplayer?

That's exactly why it they don't do it. MS did some in-house tests, and the PC guys just owned the boxjockeys.

Dekieon
21st Dec 2010, 16:41
PC, store bought DVD. Augmented Edition....Only if i am not forced to use steam to install/play it.

Rheinhold
21st Dec 2010, 16:55
In store. No question for me.

That PC gamers have an edge to console gamers has always been obvious, at least to me. They may only win when they have superior knowledge and reflexes. In the case of the games I play, it will be next to impossible to have both... :P

Shralla
21st Dec 2010, 20:19
PC, store bought DVD. Augmented Edition....Only if i am not forced to use steam to install/play it.

So you just won't get it then?

lithos
22nd Dec 2010, 03:29
You know, just the fact that it has Deus Ex in the title strongly suggests to me that EM have made a DX game.

Ah, twisted semiotics: the basis of all modern marketing!

If I piss in a bottle labeled "Chardonnay," would you still take it to a dinner party?

Rindill the Red
22nd Dec 2010, 05:03

If I piss in a bottle labeled "Chardonnay," would you still take it to a dinner party?

Yes, but what a rude surprise it would turn out to be!

Kvltism
22nd Dec 2010, 07:12

So you just won't get it then?

There's nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. Any anti-piracy measure beyond a disc-check or serial number is overkill, and it does nothing to stop piracy anyway.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Dec 2010, 10:11

A bit far-fetched. :p
We've had a taste of DX:HR. And the taste is definitely Deus Ex.

lithos
22nd Dec 2010, 10:53
Yes, but what a rude surprise it would turn out to be!

Would you like to buy some wine?

Darth Eclipse
22nd Dec 2010, 13:46

BUT Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was still great and their community is still massive.

lithos
22nd Dec 2010, 15:06
BUT Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was still great and their community is still massive.

Which begs the question: why bother piggybacking at all? No confidence in their developers?

St. Mellow
22nd Dec 2010, 15:16
We've had a taste of DX:HR. And the taste is definitely Deus Ex.

We did? How could I miss this? :rasp:

Shralla
22nd Dec 2010, 18:57
There's nothing wrong with voting with your wallet. Any anti-piracy measure beyond a disc-check or serial number is overkill, and it does nothing to stop piracy anyway.

Steam games always take a couple weeks to crack, far longer than any other form of DRM in existence, not to mention the client itself provides a useful and convenient service for the user, as opposed to being a completely useless, completely shady piece of software that you never see or hear from again after installing the game. I know some people don't like Steam but as far as DRM goes, it's the best option that's out there, both for the developer/publisher and the consumer.

MaxxQ1
22nd Dec 2010, 19:13
Will Deus Ex: Human Revolution require Steam/Games For Windows Live?

Steam sucks!

Steam rawks!

;)

Kvltism
24th Dec 2010, 07:59
Steam games always take a couple weeks to crack, far longer than any other form of DRM in existence, not to mention the client itself provides a useful and convenient service for the user, as opposed to being a completely useless, completely shady piece of software that you never see or hear from again after installing the game. I know some people don't like Steam but as far as DRM goes, it's the best option that's out there, both for the developer/publisher and the consumer.

lol Securom.

Steam is great if you have a good enough connection to download titles/patches and choose to use the service. But I object to publishers forcing people into installing the client to activate a game - or worse, selling retail discs that make you download the game via Steam. Good thing the latter has never happened to me; I'd go ballistic. As I've said before, I won't pay full-price for titles that force Steam/online activation as a matter of principle. That may include Human Revolution.

Then again, I deliberately hold off games that are going to be "completed" with DLC too, such as Fallout 3, (I waited for the GOTY edition) Dragon Age, etc. That strategy has worked out very well so far.

SPTX
24th Dec 2010, 09:47
Seems like we are a majority taking it for PC. So why bothering us with ******* ****ty consoles features that we DO NOT want?

Shralla
24th Dec 2010, 09:55
Then again, I deliberately hold off games that are going to be "completed" with DLC too, such as Fallout 3, (I waited for the GOTY edition) Dragon Age, etc. That strategy has worked out very well so far.

Yeah, but you really knew all that was coming right from the beginning. I really don't think Deus Ex is going to end up with DLC like that. We're definitely going to get the whole story in the main game. I would expect any DLC to be extra little side missions that probably represent a self-contained little story, or perhaps they make up a story themselves. But that of course supports your idea, so I can see where you're coming from.

JCpies
24th Dec 2010, 10:42
Seems like we are a majority taking it for PC. So why bothering us with ******* ****ty consoles features that we DO NOT want?

There are still the 40,000 who like Deus Ex 1 and 2 who will buy it on consoles because A. Their PCs suck. B. They're consolers.

There are the 50,000 who saw the CGI trailers and go '0Mg whAt is dIs gAmE!?? Im g0nnA call myself xXx-AdamSn1p3z-xXx onlIne!!!11!!!'

CoDEllite
24th Dec 2010, 16:59
There are still the 40,000 who like Deus Ex 1 and 2 who will buy it on consoles because A. Their PCs suck. B. They're consolers.

There are the 50,000 who saw the CGI trailers and go '0Mg whAt is dIs gAmE!?? Im g0nnA call myself xXx-AdamSn1p3z-xXx onlIne!!!11!!!'

Thanks for showing us the "pc elitist" face of this forum, guys. And what if gamers buy this game for their consoles or because they thought the trailers were really cool (and who didn't? :))? Will that make your enjoyment of the game any less on your tiny 20 inch monitor? How is EM wrong in trying to market this game to the biggest audience in today's gaming market?

ZakKa89
24th Dec 2010, 17:33
Thanks for showing us the "pc elitist" face of this forum, guys. And what if gamers buy this game for their consoles or because they thought the trailers were really cool (and who didn't? :))? Will that make your enjoyment of the game any less on your tiny 20 inch monitor? How is EM wrong in trying to market this game to the biggest audience in today's gaming market?

Look at the poll. I know it isn't representative for all gamers, but not all games sell best on consoles. Take Dragon Age for example, that game sold a lot more on pc than on consoles. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (if I remember correctly) sold better on the pc inat least in it's first week. I remember there being a lot more players playing the game in the first weeks than both consoles combined! At least that's what I read on Kotak.

So just because the biggest market is theconsolemarket does not mean it's best for EM to market to just that audience. This game could potentionally sell more on pc than on consoles, altough not likely.

Also, you are kind off missing the point

Oh and that tiny "20 inch screen" comment which is obviously intended to insult pc gamers is not only ridiculous, but also really stupid in so many ways.

SPTX
24th Dec 2010, 23:48
How is EM wrong in trying to market this game to the biggest audience in today's gaming market?

It's called dumbing down, and it's obviously what happened.

I don't even talk about their lies to try to keep us, their not-really-targeted audience-which-is-not-a-loss-anyway because-they-are-pirates-anyway and would not buy our dumbed down industrial-soulless-product-which-is-a-rip-off-of-the-popular-games-developed-back-then-that-sold-whatever-its-quality-that-because-it-sold-we-have-to-do-the-same-thing.

I am ok with copying, we all copy, that's called inspiration. But when the devs design a game, they should try to copy the good things, not the popular mainstream ****.

Harlequin Shadowlands
25th Dec 2010, 01:08
Where is the option for my Tandy Color Computer 3?! Or command line linux (ASCII graphics rule!)? damn... well I suppose with these limited choices PC on steam then.. ;)

lithos
25th Dec 2010, 05:29
Look at the poll. I know it isn't representative for all gamers, but not all games sell best on consoles. Take Dragon Age for example, that game sold a lot more on pc than on consoles.

That doesn't help, unfortunately. Mike Laidlaw was asked by a PC gaming mag if DA: O did better on PC than on consoles. He merely muttered the non-committal phrase "We had good attach across all platforms."

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (if I remember correctly) sold better on the pc inat least in it's first week. I remember there being a lot more players playing the game in the first weeks than both consoles combined! At least that's what I read on Kotaku.

It's not whether or not the game does well, there's no doubt a massive effort on the part of Sony and especially Microsoft to push their hardware. Bioware made a big stink about Dragon Age: Origins be a love-letter of sorts to PC gamers, PC gamers rewarded them...then look what happened on the sequel. They've stated they deliberately want to appeal to the more action-oriented console crowd.

Funny, it never happens the other way around, does it? "Our game didn't do too well on PC, so we'll be trying to make it more appealing to PC gamers."

When a cross platform game does poorly on a console, it's because it was too-PC oriented or too complex. When a cross platform game does poorly on PC, it's because we're all filthy, thieving pirates. (Funny, I don't hear publishers whinging about secondhand console game sales, which are sorta the same thing as PC piracy, but worse.)

Which makes it a very catch-22 situation, no? If we don't buy a game on PC because we think its crap, well, then, obviously we pirated it. Duh - because developers always make perfect games! If we say, fine, we'll support the games industry and buy every piece of poorly-ported, low-brow crap they sling our way - hey, the devs don't need to change a thing!

So just because the biggest market is theconsolemarket does not mean it's best for EM to market to just that audience. This game could potentionally sell more on pc than on consoles, altough not likely.

I find it quite telling that the poll shows the PS3 to be the *least* popular platform for HR - and yet it's the platform the game is leading on (whether EM say so or not - all the demos so far have been run on PS3.) Five'll get you ten that it's Square trying to desperately reinvigorate the Japanese game market...by making a western-oriented game with a few token Japanese elements.

Oh and that tiny "20 inch screen" comment which is obviously intended to insult pc gamers is not only ridiculous, but also really stupid in so many ways.

He doesn't have much of a grasp of perspective, does he? My 22" monitor sitting eighteen inches away from my face fills more of my field of view than my 40" LCD TV six feet way.

ZakKa89
25th Dec 2010, 10:45
He doesn't have much of a grasp of perspective, does he? My 22" monitor sitting eighteen inches away from my face fills more of my field of view than my 40" LCD TV six feet way.

Exactly, so does my 24". And don't forget the huge difference in resolution lol, what matters a lot more than ZOMG BIG SCREEN. Also, I could hook my pc up to my HDTV anytime I want. :nut:

You make a good point about when PC games don't sell well and how developers and gamers both interpret that

lithos
25th Dec 2010, 13:14
Also, I could hook my pc up to my HDTV anytime I want.

I never saw how "You can play consoles on TVs!" was any sort of argument for gaming on consoles because PCs have been able to do that since, well, forever. Basing arguments on sheer ignorance never helps.

You make a good point about when PC games don't well and the interpretation of that by both gamers and developers.

I think it's BS that "piracy" is killing PC gaming; I'll only believe that once the games industry loads up a massive class action against the games stores that trade used games, which is more reprehensible than downloading a game of Bittorrent (because not only are the original creators of the IP not getting paid, but someone is making money off their work.)

Until that happens, they can STFU about piracy, far as I'm concerned.

ZakKa89
25th Dec 2010, 13:24
I agree. Kotaku had a good article in which they argued piracy isn´t a big problem at all. Can´t seem to find it though.

jd10013
25th Dec 2010, 13:24
I think it's BS that "piracy" is killing PC gaming;

I'm sure it's not helping. anyway, you'd think they'd try harder to sell PC copies. the one big advantage with the PC version is they don't have to pay royalties to whatever console it sold for. That was something Levine had said over on the TTLG boards (when he used to post there) when reassuring people that the PC version of BS wasn't going to be just a cheap port. He said because they didn't have to pay royalties to MS on PC version sales, they had a strong financial incentive to sell as many, if not more, PC copies.

CoDEllite
25th Dec 2010, 15:17
IThat was something Levine had said over on the TTLG boards (when he used to post there) when reassuring people that the PC version of BS wasn't going to be just a cheap port. He said because they didn't have to pay royalties to MS on PC version sales, they had a strong financial incentive to sell as many, if not more, PC copies.

Just like in HR's case right? EM hasn't really reassured you guys in the same way as Levine but maybe they are actually developing a version specifically for the computer so that it doesn't turn out to be a cheap console port as in Bioshock's case? With lean keys and optional 3rd person and all that silly stuff you like :) . Who knows.

reticulate
25th Dec 2010, 15:19
That doesn't help, unfortunately. Mike Laidlaw was asked by a PC gaming mag if DA: O did better on PC than on consoles. He merely muttered the non-committal phrase "We had good attach across all platforms."

It's not whether or not the game does well, there's no doubt a massive effort on the part of Sony and especially Microsoft to push their hardware. Bioware made a big stink about Dragon Age: Origins be a love-letter of sorts to PC gamers, PC gamers rewarded them...then look what happened on the sequel. They've stated they deliberately want to appeal to the more action-oriented console crowd.

Funny, it never happens the other way around, does it? "Our game didn't do too well on PC, so we'll be trying to make it more appealing to PC gamers."

When a cross platform game does poorly on a console, it's because it was too-PC oriented or too complex. When a cross platform game does poorly on PC, it's because we're all filthy, thieving pirates. (Funny, I don't hear publishers whinging about secondhand console game sales, which are sorta the same thing as PC piracy, but worse.)

Which makes it a very catch-22 situation, no? If we don't buy a game on PC because we think its crap, well, then, obviously we pirated it. Duh - because developers always make perfect games! If we say, fine, we'll support the games industry and buy every piece of poorly-ported, low-brow crap they sling our way - hey, the devs don't need to change a thing!

Piracy is definitely a piece of that decision, but there's a couple of important points there.

With the Dragon Age example, that game had a bunch of enhancements for PC gamers, sure. But the game was still interminably boring beyond a few good set pieces. If I'm a developer and looking at what was successful as a mechanic and what wasn't, I'd probably pay attention to the stats that suggest combat in DAO was ******* awful, to the point of being nothing less than a trial to get to the next conversation cutscene. Bioware, before anything else, want to tell a story - and disgruntled gamers quitting out before any major plot points because combat was such a crapshoot probably suggest that they got the balance wrong. Min/maxing is not where the modern, popular RPG sits right now, for better or worse.

Further, Bioware are very open about collecting gameplay stats from players in order to work out where playtesting scenarios failed. They took it very seriously in Mass Effect, for instance, and we ended up with ME2 - a game widely regarded as being some manner of mix between RPG and corridor shooter that just sort of worked.

I find it quite telling that the poll shows the PS3 to be the *least* popular platform for HR - and yet it's the platform the game is leading on (whether EM say so or not - all the demos so far have been run on PS3.) Five'll get you ten that it's Square trying to desperately reinvigorate the Japanese game market...by making a western-oriented game with a few token Japanese elements.

If the 360 isn't the lead platform I'll eat my hat. It's the most extensible and gives a good balance of effects for the porting guys to work on. The PS3 is a great exclusives platform, no doubt, but is not a lead platform by any stretch.

My LCD TV also has a very comfy couch in front of it. That is, for me, an important point.

CoDEllite
25th Dec 2010, 15:55
Min/maxing is not where the modern, popular RPG sits right now, for better or worse.
...They took it very seriously in Mass Effect, for instance, and we ended up with ME2 - a game widely regarded as being some manner of mix between RPG and corridor shooter that just sort of worked.

:thumb: +1 . Totally agree sir. In fact more rpgs and rpghybrids (like Human Revolution) should look up to Mass Effect 2. That game is a pinnacle of good rpg game making (if not good video game making period) for the modern generation. The days of D&D rule sets and number crunching stat grinding are long over and actionheavy shooter rpg hybdrids Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Human Revolution are the future of the genre.

reticulate
25th Dec 2010, 16:08
:thumb: +1 . Totally agree sir. In fact more rpgs and rpghybrids (like Human Revolution) should look up to Mass Effect 2. That game is a pinnacle of good rpg game making (if not good video game making period) for the modern generation. The days of D&D rule sets and number crunching stat grinding are long over and actionheavy shooter rpg hybdrids Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Human Revolution are the future of the genre.

I think what Mass Effect has come to represent is a completely new genre beyond what we would call an RPG. Rock Paper Shotgun called it a "Gunplay and Conversation" game, which I think probably puts it best. It's got stats, but any dice rolls are very well hidden behind a veneer that includes some excellent scripting and voice work. I don't know if it necessarily supplants the classic RPG, but handily points out that the proper number-crunching types are and always have been a niche. That niche has done well precisely because developers couldn't come up with better interactive replacements, and now they more or less have.

Take WoW, as an example. It has a fairly deep dice-roll mechanic going on there, but a player is only ever going to be interested in a few specific results (DPS, for instance). It pays nothing to retain complexity beyond what the player actually cares about, and WoW has managed a very successful balance. I tend to think of it like a GM fudging dice rolls to keep the story moving - being pedantic only ruins the experience, which in the end is what we're all after.

I think there will always be a place for a proper hardcore RPG amongst gamers. But I don't tend to think it being mass-market, or attractive to developers. Most gamers don't want hardcore, they want an experience. This is not a bad thing, but shows the fundamental difference between a gamer and a proper, enthused fan of a genre. If I were a developer, I'd have to think very carefully where I want my mechanics to sit.

lithos
25th Dec 2010, 16:20

Mass Effect 2 was an RPG?

ZakKa89
25th Dec 2010, 16:31

RPG shooter hybrids should look up to the first Deus Ex. I love Mass Effect 2 but it´s still Deus Ex´s bastards child if you want to compare them. Saying a game in the Deus Ex franchise should look up to mass effect is almost an insult, because Deus Ex and other games paved the way for RPG/shooter hybrids like Mass Effect, Bioshock (if you call that terrible game a rpg) and others. There maybe wouldn't even be a Mass Effect without games like Sytem Shock and Deus Ex. The first Deus Ex is still superior to any RPG/shooter hybrid that exist today, so I suggest you get of your 360 and play it

Mass Effect 2 was an RPG?

Hehe it kind of was ;p

SPTX
25th Dec 2010, 17:53
Just like in HR's case right? EM hasn't really reassured you guys in the same way as Levine but maybe they are actually developing a version specifically for the computer so that it doesn't turn out to be a cheap console port as in Bioshock's case? With lean keys and optional 3rd person and all that silly stuff you like :) . Who knows.
That ignorance.
Maybe they won't charge us for DLCs too ! Maybe we won't have a radar and be given true melee instead of cinemalol john woo takedowns.

Be serious, they don't give a **** about PC gamers, else they would not have made an half automated game and it would be moddable on release.

:thumb: shooter rpg hybdrids Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Human Revolution are the future of the genre.
Those are barely remotely rpgs in their dynamics, do not call them rpgs, you can still try though. Even world of warcraft is more an rpg than those. Also they have no gameplay, much like interactive movies.

Rock Paper Shotgun called it a "Gunplay and Conversation" game,

It's "gears of war with dialogue options"

ZakKa89
25th Dec 2010, 18:52
SPTX you bring it a bit too far. Mass Effect 2's combat is a lot more fun than gears of war, that's just insulting haha. At least in Mass Effect 2 you had powers which you could combo which made the combat a lore more fun.

Pretentious Old Man.
25th Dec 2010, 18:59
Glorious PC gaming master race will win forever.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs235.ash2/50500_332561550002_3894078_n.jpg

ZakKa89
25th Dec 2010, 21:27
Glorious PC gaming master race will win forever.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs235.ash2/50500_332561550002_3894078_n.jpg

I am part of a master race?

Awesome

http://www1.linkclub.or.jp/~clubey/wolf.gifs/FAQ.trivia%20graphics/Keen.gif

Shralla
26th Dec 2010, 05:06
What the hell? Is SPTX the "hater" version of CoDEllite? They're like the same person, but on opposite sides.

Quit trolling us, *******s.