PDA

View Full Version : Why everyone on this forum is going to end up playing DX:HR.

Rindill the Red
13th Jun 2010, 05:26
Everyone on this forum is going to play DX:HR (and most likely purchase it), no matter how much you ***** about it...

Because you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't love DX and want to love a sequel (or in this case, a prequel).

Because you played DX: IW at least once (if not more), no matter how much you say it sucked.

Because DX:HR is going to be awesome!:D:D:D:D:D:D

loke13
13th Jun 2010, 05:37
inb4 the haters swarm.

JackShandy
13th Jun 2010, 05:54
Awww, Rindill the Red. You're adorable! This thread is like watching a puppy run in front of a frieght train.

jtr7
13th Jun 2010, 05:57
I don't even understand the mentality behind this, but it comes up every month or so. Some of us really do have the ability to not have to possess a consumer product that shares names and traits with something we like. I love the original Star Wars trilogy, but am deeply disappointed about the new stuff, and have no problem whatsoever not wishing to possess a copy for myself, or watching and reading anything that comes out under that brand. If the new games don't have the same factors that made me fall in love to begin with, then it has to go into a separate category. Being passionate fans for one thing doesn't mean a natural transition to something "other", especially if it does not have factors that won us over in the first place. I don't confuse eye-candy for a good game. I'm sure DX:HR will be a great game, but will it have the things that will make me personally care?

Deus_Ex_Machina
13th Jun 2010, 07:21
I don't even understand the mentality behind this, but it comes up every month or so. Some of us really do have the ability to not have to possess a consumer product that shares names and traits with something we like. I love the original Star Wars trilogy, but am deeply disappointed about the new stuff, and have no problem whatsoever not wishing to possess a copy for myself, or watching and reading anything that comes out under that brand. If the new games don't have the same factors that made me fall in love to begin with, then it has to go into a separate category. Being passionate fans for one thing doesn't mean a natural transition to something "other", especially if it does not have factors that won us over in the first place. I don't confuse eye-candy for a good game. I'm sure DX:HR will be a great game, but will it have the things that will make me personally care?

Very nicely put.

Irate_Iguana
13th Jun 2010, 10:04
Oh, hey. It's the same thing they said when Fallout 3 was in production. Guess which game I ended up NOT playing?

loke13
13th Jun 2010, 10:25
Oh, hey. It's the same thing they said when Fallout 3 was in production. Guess which game I ended up NOT playing? God save you. Fallout 3 was a good game.

ZakKa89
13th Jun 2010, 10:26
Oh, hey. It's the same thing they said when Fallout 3 was in production. Guess which game I ended up NOT playing?

You should bro, it's a good game. Not as good as fallout 1/2 but still good.

I think there is a huge fallout 3 discount on steam right now (50 percent)

Bluey71
13th Jun 2010, 10:29
I don't even understand the mentality behind this, but it comes up every month or so. Some of us really do have the ability to not have to possess a consumer product that shares names and traits with something we like. I love the original Star Wars trilogy, but am deeply disappointed about the new stuff, and have no problem whatsoever not wishing to possess a copy for myself, or watching and reading anything that comes out under that brand.

If the new games don't have the same factors that made me fall in love to begin with, then it has to go into a separate category. Being passionate fans for one thing doesn't mean a natural transition to something "other", especially if it does not have factors that won us over in the first place. I don't confuse eye-candy for a good game. I'm sure DX:HR will be a great game, but will it have the things that will make me personally care?

Nothing else to say really - jtr7 hit the nail on the head square and fair. QFT

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 10:36
I can't say I agree with everything OP said, but no matter which way you look at it, it seems the recent poll results pretty much confirm that people are going to end up playing DX:HR. So, in a broad sense, OP is correct.

Senka
13th Jun 2010, 10:39
God save you. Fallout 3 was a good game.

Fine - Poor game: very bad choice of engine (for a shooter, even a RPG shooter), plothole big enough for a drunkard to navigate the deathstar through, repetitive overall, lost interest and immersion quickly after leaving your vault. AI also poor for a shooter, but this links back to the engine. I'm sure there are some good mods out there to make it a better game, but I don't see how vanilla could be considered good.

Some good dialogue, Radio was a risky idea but it really worked, although not a game worthy of any real recognition.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 10:42
^
You can surely express yourself in a better way than that, so please edit and put forward your argument.

EDIT: Thank you for editing.

Bluey71
13th Jun 2010, 10:43
Sure I agree too - I think it's obvious why people are here - because we all loved the original game and I cant see many DX1 fans not playing a game with Deus Ex in its title. The key point is when they buy it. Due to what has been revealed so far I think a lot of people will decide to wait, wait for independant/gamers reviews and for the price to fall.

And if no changes are made to the game I can see others waiting for the game to be hacked, so that they can play the way they want to.

Irate_Iguana
13th Jun 2010, 10:50
God save you. Fallout 3 was a good game.

You should bro, it's a good game. Not as good as fallout 1/2 but still good.

Look, I already played Oblivion so I have a pretty good idea how the gameplay will be. The writing in Fallout 3 is piss poor, the characters are terrible and the combat looks ridiculous. Besides the lip-service to the old Fallout's I can't see why I should play this.

ZakKa89
13th Jun 2010, 11:04
Look, I already played Oblivion so I have a pretty good idea how the gameplay will be. The writing in Fallout 3 is piss poor, the characters are terrible and the combat looks ridiculous. Besides the lip-service to the old Fallout's I can't see why I should play this.

Listen man I really hated oblivion and liked fallout 3 a lot. The games are very, very different.

Senka
13th Jun 2010, 11:06
Not really, especially movement, the way the game feels, the day/night cycles, combat (melee at least), sneaking/stealing etc. I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't played Oblivion. But if I player OB after I'd probably consider it the great game.

68_pie
13th Jun 2010, 11:18
the biggest problem was that it didnt feel like the originals - which is part of what i'm worried about for DXHR

Senka
13th Jun 2010, 11:22
Well if won't be easy to recreate the experience - It'll be similar, but with a modern flavour.. (hopefully)

TezJaggs
13th Jun 2010, 11:29
totally agree with the OP.
theres alot of p-ussyholes in this forum.

Ulysses
13th Jun 2010, 11:32
I can't say I agree with everything OP said, but no matter which way you look at it, it seems the recent poll results pretty much confirm that people are going to end up playing DX:HR. So, in a broad sense, OP is correct.

Bit much to look at that "poll" as representative of anything, no ? As for the OP, your point is silly - people are here as they're interested in discussing DX3 or finding out more about it. Whether or not they actually play it, depends on what results from that. Such shill like behaviour, tsk.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 11:58
Bit much to look at that "poll" as representative of anything, no ?

Not really, it's a public poll on this official forum, so the results are valid enough in that sense.
PS. There were actually two polls, not one:

Who will/will not buy this game?
I'll buy the game = 45
I'm so undecided - I'ma gonna wait 'n see = 39
I won't buy this game = 8

Are you interested to buy this game?

certainly = 34
I wait for more info = 20
No, this game doesn't interest me anymore = 6
I don't care about Deus Ex HR = 0

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109337
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109599

But these aside, once we get to see real gameplay footage, a new poll will surely be something we can all agree is representative. :thumb:

Daedalus Ciarán
13th Jun 2010, 12:14
Not really, it's a public poll on this official forum, so the results are valid enough in that sense.
PS. There were actually two polls, not one:

Who will/will not buy this game?
I'll buy the game = 45
I'm so undecided - I'ma gonna wait 'n see = 39
I won't buy this game = 8

Are you interested to buy this game?

certainly = 34
I wait for more info = 20
No, this game doesn't interest me anymore = 6
I don't care about Deus Ex HR = 0

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109337
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109599

But these aside, once we get to see real gameplay footage, a new poll will surely be something we can all agree is representative. :thumb:

The problem with those polls, and polls in general, is that the terms force you into certain paths without being representative of your own thoughts and opinions on the matter. I mean, I'm interested in buying the game but I'm not preordering, or getting it on the first day. I'll wait 'til it's good and cheap and then get it, or maybe just rent it. But there's no section catering to that opinion, and any others who share that opinion. So already your results are skewed when I, or anyone else, is forced to pick a position we only half agree with.

And no-one would be on here if they weren't in some way interested in getting to play the game so the second poll just leaves you hanging if you say: Well I want to play it, but just so satisfy my morbid curiosity. Where's the option of rent or buy on the cheap? There is none, instead we have to pick I'll buy it, I'll wait and see if I the game is worth playing, or no I won't.

It's like DX:HR; the developers want you to debate the question of transhumanism and ponder the implications of it, but refuse to let you make the choice not to augment in the game. Your opinion isn't really catered for and you're forced down a particular path which you might not be comfortable with. However, if your opinions fit closelywith those of the questioner - EM or the poll creator - then you're going to be fine and you won't have a problem.

In short, more opinions on the polls, otherwise they're kind of useless.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 12:23
I really don't want to join a debate about the functionality of forum polls.

I was just making reference to them in my earlier comment because, whether they are perfectly worded with appropriate options or not, they remain valid to some degree. People placed their votes and we can choose to consider the results, or not; as the case may be.

Ulysses
13th Jun 2010, 13:54
Ah I thought you were referring to one more recently, the options in that one are poor as well. But is such a small sample size, that it's not indicative of what the majority of the users on this forum are doing and doesn't do much to back up the OP's point. Even if it is just saying "haha you whiners will play anyway, so stfu".

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 15:02
We can choose to ignore the polls completely if you like.
As has already been mentioned, it seems that most people on this forum are intending to buy and play the game.

This goes without saying really because sensible people really wouldn't frequent a forum relating to a game they say they completely and utterly dislike and would never play. How silly would that be?! :D

JCpies
13th Jun 2010, 15:05
Everyone on this forum is going to play DX:HR (and most likely purchase it), no matter how much you ***** about it...

Because you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't love DX and want to love a sequel (or in this case, a prequel).

Because you played DX: IW at least once (if not more), no matter how much you say it sucked.

Get the hell back to COD you consumer sheep!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 15:07
Where the hell is Bo-Peep when you need her?

JCpies
13th Jun 2010, 15:13
Where the hell is Bo-Peep when you need her?

Maybe she's searching for... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOKt1z1TkvU&feature=related

Ashpolt
13th Jun 2010, 15:14

You missed two:

-Because there will (hopefully) be a demo, and playing that will count as playing DXHR

-Because one day it's going to be about £2 on Steam / in the bargain bin at your friendly neighbourhood games store, and at that price curiosity will win out

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 15:17
-Because one day it's going to be about £2 on Steam / in the bargain bin at your friendly neighbourhood games store, and at that price curiosity will win out

Interesting.
So, how many years will it take for DXHR to cost only £2?
Even the less curious won't want to wait very long.

Malah
13th Jun 2010, 15:29
Umm... yeah, this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/5wktic.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 15:33
^ :eek:

Presidential propaganda?

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 16:07
Oh my dear god.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 16:11
This degree will make him a brother of pirates and corsairs....

It's deep, very deep. :eek:

TezJaggs
13th Jun 2010, 22:07
ashpolt your a ****
if you hate this game so much then jog on and dont post about it.
go play with your ******* with your fingers like you usually do.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 22:57
^

psycho much?

68_pie
13th Jun 2010, 23:33
ah the classic "if you're pessimistic then gtfo".
that's strange Tez I thought you were the one who said that you were leaving?
not quite sure what's with your attitude mate but i certainly don't think that that level of insult is really necessary.
I can envisage some moderation in the near future.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 23:37
this forum is a warzone

we need a hero!

Anasumtj
14th Jun 2010, 00:00
Quoting to save the moment.

FrankCSIS
14th Jun 2010, 00:05
we need a hero!

Can I narrate? I really enjoy doing voice overs.

KSingh77
14th Jun 2010, 00:08
Pirates of the Cyber Carribeans.

Jerion
14th Jun 2010, 00:10
He's long-since been given an infraction and warned, guys. You can stop reporting the post.

mad_red
14th Jun 2010, 00:22
Let me see if I understand you:

People here played DX:IW even though it sucked.
And they will play DX:HR because it will be awesome and because they like Deus Ex in general.

Now let me see what I think about that:

I think people will play DX:HR even though it will only suck a little less than DX:IW.
I also think that how good DX:HR will be is more relevant than how many pessimists will play it. But you seem to care a lot about the latter. Have fun with that.

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 00:57
Can I narrate? I really enjoy doing voice overs.

Sure why not?

now who wants to be the vilain?

Senka
14th Jun 2010, 01:03
Shotgun!

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 01:11
okay now all we need is the plucky sidekick and the villain's top henchman

Rindill the Red
14th Jun 2010, 02:15
Get the hell back to COD you consumer sheep!

Anyone who is not intricately involved in a game's development, and yet purchases and plays the game is a consumer. And really, in the end, the only thing you can consume is what the developers feed you (and what gets modded afterwards). When you bought and played Deus Ex, you were a "consumer sheep".

Coming on to this forum and whining about aspects of the game that they have decided on that you don't think you'll like will *NOT* change their minds.

Broadcasting that if so and so happens, or if the devs implement this, or if they don't do this, then you will never play the "horrible" game is entirely immature and most likely *NOT* true. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

To believe that you have a better grasp of what elements and game mechanics will work or not work, without having seen the game in action, and without having played the game or been part of its development is naive.

I understand your frustration. :mad2: You want a really good game, and you are concerned about the decisions being made.

People whine when they feel irritated, overwhelmed, and insecure. You want as good an experience as Deus Ex and so, through some immature, misguided notion, you feel that coming onto this forum and expressing a childish emotional reaction is the best way to achieve what you want.

Well, it isn't.

Sometimes in life you have to recognize that things are out of your control and maybe even influence. If you want to enjoy what Eidos is making, the best thing to do is to become a "consumer sheep" and appreciate the fine points of what they are doing. Approaching the game with an open and optimistic mind is psychologically proven to increase the chances of actually enjoying and getting something out of the experience that will be this game.

So, think about why you are on this forum, and make sure you are here for the right reasons. :group_hug:

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 02:17
Anyone who is not intricately involved in a game's development, and yet purchases and plays the game is a consumer. And really, in the end, the only thing you can consume is what the developers feed you (and what gets modded afterwards). When you bought and played Deus Ex, you were a "consumer sheep".

Coming on to this forum and whining about aspects of the game that they have decided on that you don't think you'll like will *NOT* change their minds.

Broadcasting that if so and so happens, or if the devs implement this, or if they don't do this, then you will never play the "horrible" game is entirely immature and most likely *NOT* true. The only person you are hurting is yourself.

To believe that you have a better grasp of what elements and game mechanics will work or not work, without having seen the game in action, and without having played the game or been part of its development is naive.

I understand your frustration. :mad2: You want a really good game, and you are concerned about the decisions being made.

People whine when they feel irritated, overwhelmed, and insecure. You want as good an experience as Deus Ex and so, through some immature, misguided notion, you feel that coming onto this forum and expressing a childish emotional reaction is the best way to achieve what you want.

Well, it isn't.

Sometimes in life you have to recognize that things are out of your control and maybe even influence. If you want to enjoy what Eidos is making, the best thing to do is to become a "consumer sheep" and appreciate the fine points of what they are doing. Approaching the game with an open and optimistic mind is psychologically proven to increase the chances of actually enjoying and getting something out of the experience that will be this game.

So, think about why you are on this forum, and make sure you are here for the right reasons. :group_hug:

Good point but I'm pretty sure he was being facetious .

FrankCSIS
14th Jun 2010, 02:20
Sure why not?

Oh Yeah! (http://www.zshare.net/audio/77205594a347c790)

Rindill the Red
14th Jun 2010, 02:22
Good point but I'm pretty sure he was being facetious .

Oh yeah. I knew that... so was I. :whistle:

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 02:31

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3412906950_511fed3a73.jpg

WIN OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL!

you sound like marlon bando

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 06:41
so...

anyone else think frankcis has a great voice?

mad_red
14th Jun 2010, 13:55

You're wrong buddy. Sheep don't complain and just follow the herd. You're the sheep, we're just consumers.

Other than that I liked the original Deus Ex? I like interthematic discussions. Now tell me, why do you think you called me a sheep? Was it for the right reasons?

Fluffis
14th Jun 2010, 14:04
Anyone who is not intricately involved in a game's development, and yet purchases and plays the game is a consumer. And really, in the end, the only thing you can consume is what the developers feed you (and what gets modded afterwards).

No... You can also refrain from consuming. You don't have to take any **** you don't want to. You can just walk away. I'm still on the fence, but if things pan out in a way that doesn't please me... I'll walk away. It's as simple as that.

Ilves
14th Jun 2010, 14:13

Reading your forum posts will never be the same again. I shall imagine you typing them casually hunched over an Underwood, in the midst of a cloud of blue smoke, wearing a fedora.

Rindill the Red
14th Jun 2010, 16:38
No... You can also refrain from consuming. You don't have to take any **** you don't want to. You can just walk away. I'm still on the fence, but if things pan out in a way that doesn't please me... I'll walk away. It's as simple as that.

Yes, that's why I said, "the only thing you can consume". Although I do understand now how "consumer sheep" differs from "consumer", thank you.

I'm totally for honest intelligent discussion. I love it! And that's the point I was trying to make.

I'm just finding it hard to believe that people who are SO interested in DX:HR will just completely and forever ignore it.

I'm not saying that its decreed that you must love DX:HR, nor am I saying that I will necessarily love DX:HR. I'm simply saying that making statements to the effect of "I'm never going to enjoy this game" doesn't really add anything to our discussions here.

Fluffis
14th Jun 2010, 16:44
Yes, that's why I said, "the only thing you can consume". Although I do understand now how "consumer sheep" differs from "consumer", thank you.

I'm totally for honest intelligent discussion. I love it! And that's the point I was trying to make.

I'm just finding it hard to believe that people who are SO interested in DX:HR will just completely and forever ignore it.

Believe it. A lot of people were massively burned by IW, and are not willing to go through that again.

I'm not saying that its decreed that you must love DX:HR, nor am I saying that I will necessarily love DX:HR. I'm simply saying that making statements to the effect of "I'm never going to enjoy this game" doesn't really add anything to our discussions here.

But it does. That's the beauty of it. If you don't have someone with an opposing view, discussions become boring very quickly. When you have someone to offer perspective (on both sides), your own views may soften or you may soften the other person's views. It's these kinds of discussions I wish devs would sit down and read more often. Just to get a real feel of the expectations.

beastosterone
14th Jun 2010, 16:47
Of course we're all going to play it. It's Deux Ex.

Will we support it? Remember it? Be proud of it? ...buy it?

That is what's in question.

Rindill the Red
14th Jun 2010, 17:03
Believe it. A lot of people were massively burned by IW, and are not willing to go through that again.

But it does. That's the beauty of it. If you don't have someone with an opposing view, discussions become boring very quickly. When you have someone to offer perspective (on both sides), your own views may soften or you may soften the other person's views. It's these kinds of discussions I wish devs would sit down and read more often. Just to get a real feel of the expectations.

Polarization as opposed to intelligent discussion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_polarization

Fluffis
14th Jun 2010, 17:12
Polarization as opposed to intelligent discussion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attitude_polarization

That's a risk I'm willing to take, if it means the chance to avoid a forum where everyone just says/wants the same thing.

K^2
14th Jun 2010, 18:26
I don't think it matters if everyone on this board will play the game. Yeah, I'm sure everyone will, at some point or another. Yes, they wouldn't be here if they weren't at least somewhat interested, and it is going to get the better of them eventually.

But what EM should be keeping in mind that it does not mean that everyone on this board will buy the game when it comes out. Some people will wait for bargain bins. Some will buy it on e-bay. Some will rent the game. A number of other options is also open to the people.

Whether or not fans of DX will be happy with the game will make a huge impact on sales, even if every single one of them plays the game. Just thinking that fans will purchase the game to play it is a non-plan, and if that's really what EM marketing counts on, they'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm sure they'll blame it on piracy too.

Kodaemon
14th Jun 2010, 20:10

I stole this for youtube. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwxGqsrpjIU

hem dazon 90
14th Jun 2010, 20:13
I stole this for youtube. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwxGqsrpjIU

I cannot find the win button right now so you will have to do with this

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/359087786_8fb025c4a0.jpg

FrankCSIS
14th Jun 2010, 21:51
Reading your forum posts will never be the same again. I shall imagine you typing them casually hunched over an Underwood, in the midst of a cloud of blue smoke, wearing a fedora.

I actually own 3 Biltmore fedoras, so it's not that big of a stretch ;)

mad_red
15th Jun 2010, 17:19

You're right with that last sentence. But this thread got me thinking. A few years back when I heard there would be a new Half-life or a new Black Isle studios game or something, I really had to play it even if it was bad. But now I don't feel so much inclined to play new games anymore just because they're part of a series I love. Like you said, I'd still love the idea of a new Deus Ex, just because it's Deus Ex, but I guess brand-loyalty is just wearing off or something.

edit: FrankCSIS, CHEERS & BEERS! That 800-pound gorilla in the living room was just asking to be made into a vid.
I don't know if this counts as synchronicity, but I just saw the flick "Idiocracy". Forget Deus Ex, Idiocracy is the future.