PDA

View Full Version : DX Community Sitrep

Deus_Ex_Machina
12th Jun 2010, 22:38
I made this thread to guage the DX community concerning how everyone feels about the new DXHR info we've been getting.

Ashpolt
12th Jun 2010, 22:39
Isn't that what this forum as a whole is for? :scratch:

[EDIT] Ah, a poll, I get it. That wasn't there before.

Malah
12th Jun 2010, 22:40
Good luck.

You might want to wear this:

http://hostanyimage.com/files/68738303094217750229.jpg

Deus_Ex_Machina
12th Jun 2010, 22:41
Isn't that what this forum as a whole is for? :scratch:

Yes, but I like visual aids such as polls.

FrankCSIS
12th Jun 2010, 22:43
Where is the "There has better be some in-game footage at E3 before I decide" poll option? ;)

Malah
12th Jun 2010, 22:47
Where is the "There has better be some in-game footage at E3 before I decide" poll option? ;)

It was cancelled due to this: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109981

Deus_Ex_Machina
12th Jun 2010, 22:47

I didn't include an option for that because, in all likelihood, there won't be any official in-game footage shown at E3, which means that people will then want to change their poll option to "I HATE DXHR!!1111". :D

Ilves
12th Jun 2010, 22:49
[...] in all likelihood, there won't be any official in-game footage shown at E3 [...]

This just baffles me. :nut: Seriously, what gives?

Irate_Iguana
12th Jun 2010, 22:52
This just baffles me. :nut: Seriously, what gives?

EM Marketing's motto: "We are not happy until you are not happy"

Deus_Ex_Machina
12th Jun 2010, 22:57

I thought their motto was, "Kane and Lynch is teh bezt gamez evar!!11 If ju givez uz a "fare" skore, we maek sur ju get fired!!111" :rolleyes:

Malah
12th Jun 2010, 22:59

http://hostanyimage.com/files/93860955885616424934.jpg

Ashpolt
12th Jun 2010, 23:03

Quoted for win.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Jun 2010, 23:14
How do I feel about the new DXHR info we've been getting?
I feel good... so much so, I voted for the first option. The second option, cautiously optimistic, would have got my vote but I'm not feeling particularly 'cautious' about what I've heard or seen lately. Had the option just said "optimistic" I would have gone with that.

Jerion
12th Jun 2010, 23:15
Predict the number of people on here dissatisfied with HR to be...Five. No, Six.

ZakKa89
12th Jun 2010, 23:17
Optimists for the WIN! woohoo I am loving everything i'm reading and seeing so far!

(I chose the first one, I agree with myimmortal)

Malah
12th Jun 2010, 23:18
@MyImmortal

.. you're not even getting paid for this and I doubt anyone but a down can be optimistic about this game, does the trolling really make it worth your time?

ZakKa89
12th Jun 2010, 23:21
@MyImmortal

.. you're not even getting paid for this and I doubt anyone but a down can be optimistic about this game, does the trolling really make it worth your time?

So he's trolling because he has a different opinion? :rasp:

Jerion
12th Jun 2010, 23:22
So She's trolling because he has a different opinion? :rasp:

Fixed that for ya. ;)

ZakKa89
12th Jun 2010, 23:23
Ah didn't know that, thanks : )

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Jun 2010, 23:25
LOL, I'll get you back Mr K. :p

ShadowXOR
13th Jun 2010, 00:47
I'm cautiously optimistic. Gameplay footage will pull me off the fence.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 00:53
I like the results I see.

JackShandy
13th Jun 2010, 00:59
I voted for "I LOVE HR" because I am well and truly on board the hype train. Destination: MY HEART. CHOO CHOO.

Surely this poll can't be accurate, though? Only two people don't like what they're seeing, and only one hates it? The forums seem to say otherwise.

68_pie
13th Jun 2010, 01:01
at the moment there's not a chance in hell of me buying it. Gameplay footage/demo may pull me back in.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 01:01
^

give it a day

Deus_Ex_Machina
13th Jun 2010, 02:37
I voted for "I LOVE HR" because I am well and truly on board the hype train. Destination: MY HEART. CHOO CHOO.

Surely this poll can't be accurate, though? Only two people don't like what they're seeing, and only one hates it? The forums seem to say otherwise.

The poll isn't accurate and won't be accurate unless EVERYONE on these forums votes.

Ashpolt
13th Jun 2010, 02:56

A lot of the people who dislike the direction the game is heading in have been banned or simply left due to boredom.

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 03:10
A lot of the people who dislike the direction the game is heading in have been banned or simply left due to boredom.

I think there were...what, a grand total of three people who didn't like the game direction that have also been banned in the last two years? I'd put boredom as the leading cause there.

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 03:27
I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's the verbal combat conversation system that's got me a little concerned right now.

I don't hate it. In fact, I'm all for innovation in these areas. But until I handle it myself, and see it's range and complexity, it will forever concern me. For if this system does not work in the end, the whole game will suffer tremendously under it's failure.

This is the way of things in the innovation business; dangerous and unpredictable. And so I am cautious... yet optimistic.

K^2
13th Jun 2010, 03:30
I've been rather, no disappointment is not the word, disillusioned by some of the recent info. I'm not liking what I'm seeing at the moment, and I don't think that's going to change at least until I see some gameplay video.

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 03:46
K^2, where have you been? Hopefully a little under-the-weather, am I right?

Concerning my delight at your ill prospects: we are enemies... right? It's been a while, and I can't keep track. If not, well, we can be... if you fancy it.

Righto
13th Jun 2010, 05:49
Cautiously optimistic. Really like the sound of the overwhelming majority of info that's been released so far (had the opposite experience with Invisible War before it came out). What makes me cautious is that they're still releasing bullshots, concept art, CG trailers, and having behind closed doors gameplay demos to promote a game that will supposedly be released within a year.

It might not mean anything, and maybe they're right on track for early 2011, but I'd still be more optimistic if they announce that the game has been delayed. The last thing I want is a buggy, unfinished game that shows signs of how great it could have been.

hem dazon 90
13th Jun 2010, 06:21
suprised how many optimists are here

Destroyerzero
13th Jun 2010, 06:53
My feelings are the it should be a lot better than DX:IW, but the question is if it matches the original or surpasses it. I am just happy a new DX game is in the works. I'll judge it when its released. Thats all I can do.

Ilves
13th Jun 2010, 09:06
You know this whole poll is crooked anyway, as we all read the options coming from such different places.

I voted “cautiously optimistic”, and yet I don’t consider myself part of the happy camp on this forum. Part of me is pissed at how EM definitively departed from what DX was. Based on the ever more detailed info released in the last days it’s clear as day to me that HR really is dumbed down, there’s no other euphemism at hand.

This bit in particular rubbed me the wrong way:

Dugas: Above all it comes down to how the range of possibilities is presented to the player. Will he allocate an experience point here so it has an effect over there, and will he then get tangled up in a submenu of a submenu… Frankly this way he actually loses options, because they aren’t presented clearly to him. The first Deus Ex is a good example: The game never clearly told you that you had gained experience points. You’d possibly not thought about them for a while and then at some point found yourself with a pile of experience points. It’s not like we have curtailed experience points or augmentations. We’re just presenting them more clearly

The epitome of my fears is that HR would flash tutorials in your face at every turn, taking you by the hand, guiding you safely through the scary customization process. (loading screen pro-tips already confirmed!)

On the other hand; the art direction is magnificent. The thing looks, feels and sounds amazing. I think Adam might well turn out to be an instant icon of gaming. Reading about the design process makes me tickle; Belletete and crew make game design sound like the greatest job in the world. That’s what I love in entertainment; when hints of that genuine love for the craft on part of the creators shines through. Somehow I get that vibe off EM. That’s enough reason to be optimistic about the product, not as a glorious 2010 rendition of classic DX, but as a reboot in a changed gaming industry.

Edit:

Heh. I seriously can't think of a single rational reason why they wouldn't want to show off the functioning demo after building all the trailer hype. What are they afraid of? Everybody in the public is eager enough...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 09:08
suprised how many optimists are here

I'm not surprised at all, I think it goes without saying that most people remain fairly (or very) optimistic. :)

IOOI
13th Jun 2010, 18:12
The epitome of my fears is that HR would flash tutorials in your face at every turn, taking you by the hand, guiding you safely through the scary customization process. (loading screen pro-tips already confirmed!)

If there's such thing I hope we can turn it off in the menu.

Heh. I seriously can't think of a single rational reason why they wouldn't want to show off the functioning demo after building all the trailer hype. What are they afraid of? Everybody in the public is eager enough...

Apparently they're holding the cards tight to the chest again. Maybe they'll show it once the dev-blog is up (Did they get a new Community Manager already?).

Ilves
13th Jun 2010, 18:18
Maybe they'll show it once the dev-blog is up [...]

Hoho, quite hilarious, that one. :D

68_pie
13th Jun 2010, 18:39
the dev blog still makes me laugh

FrankCSIS
13th Jun 2010, 20:55
The Dev Blog is the real conspiracy. I fully expect it to be featured in-game.

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 20:58
(Did they get a new Community Manager already?).

Soon. And not EM soon, either.

No, Immortal, it's not me.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:11
No, Immortal, it's not me.

It isn't? :o

It would of been a nice and easy transition. Oh well... :(

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:23
It isn't? :o

It would of been a nice and easy transition. Oh well... :(

Yeah, but they're looking for someone who has several years of experience doing it, my only major applicable qualification is my time here, being a Mod. I don't mind though.

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 21:23
It's actually going to be me. :cool:

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:26

:o We're all NANOMACHINESed.

FrankCSIS
13th Jun 2010, 21:29
What use is a guy with years of experience with their marketing strategy anyway? I say K all the way!

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 21:30
:o We're all NANOMACHINESed.

I have a seven-step plan that'll lead us all into a bright new age of steep, steep weirdness.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:32

OMG! I hope that's true, Pinky! You are GOD!!! :cool:

Pinky For God!!!!!

:D

Irate_Iguana
13th Jun 2010, 21:33
The Dev Blog is the real conspiracy. I fully expect it to be featured in-game.

If they managed to get that in there I'd be impressed.

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:41
OMG! I hope that's true, Pinky! You are GOD!!! :cool:

Pinky For God!!!!!

:D

Your loyalty isn't worth much! :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:45
Your loyalty isn't worth much! :rasp:

He's around more than you are! :mad:

Anyway, what are you doing here? Earlier, I imagined you to be in Los Angeles getting prepared for E3. :p

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:47

Anyway, what are you doing here? Earlier, I imagined you to be in Los Angeles getting prepared for E3. :p

You might have a point. :hmm:

E3? What would I be doing at E3?

Ilves
13th Jun 2010, 21:48
You might have a point. :hmm:

Smuggling out gameplay footage, duh. You're our inside man, remember?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:49

No real reason, I just imagined you would be there if you could. :)

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:51
Inside man on the east coast maybe.

No real reason, I just imagined you would be there if you could. :)

I wish. I can't afford those registration prices.

FrankCSIS
13th Jun 2010, 21:52

All you need is a ventilation shaft...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:54

Yeah, costly. :(
Would it have been too cheeky to ask Rene if he could get you a pass or take you in with the EM team?
Maybe that wouldn't be allowed... but always worth asking.

All you need is a ventilation shaft...

Yeah, you could have tried this too. :p

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 21:57
Yeah, costly. :(
Would it have been too cheeky to ask Rene if he could get you a pass or take you in with the EM team?
Maybe that wouldn't be allowed... but always worth asking.

Haven't heard back. :whistle:

Pinky_Powers
13th Jun 2010, 21:59

I've been around a lot this last week, but that's only because of all the pre-E3 news flood we've been getting. Once things settle down again, I will get depressed and move out of the forum's basement for a while.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 21:59
Haven't heard back. :whistle:

Oh right. Fair enough... :hmm:

Jerion
13th Jun 2010, 22:08
Oh right. Fair enough... :hmm:

He doesn't check his work email on the weekends. I expect I'll get some kind of reply around 11 AM my time Monday.

Spyhopping
13th Jun 2010, 22:35
Hope you get a result!

I'm going to be far from PC access over E3, not cool! Enjoy, hope it's all good news.