PDA

View Full Version : Big Man Barret

pringlepower
12th Jun 2010, 03:59
Hi guys, new to the forum, noticed there wasn't much about Barret, who i think is a pretty interesting guy?

Just wondering, what are you opinions on him, his role in game, his design, voice, etc.?

Personally I think the name is a nod to a similar large, gun-arm guy from a certain Japanese RPG, especially since Square Enix owns Eidos now. He's a big, heavily-augmented soldier guy with a well-animated minigun-arm, and his voice is really growing on me (well the 10 words that he says in the trailer). Compared to all the high-tech conspiracy and general badassness, it's nice to hear some Southern dialect in there.

Clearly he's gonna be the enforcer of whatever organization is against Adam, but I can picture a rivalry growing between the two (strength vs agility? etc.)

Shralla
12th Jun 2010, 04:02
Some people don't like the line "I'll take you to hell" because it sounds too cliche.

I disagree completely. "Go to hell," sure. "I'll send you to hell," yeah, I've heard it. This is literally the first time I've ever heard "I'll take you to hell."

I think it really separates it from the others because it makes it more personal. You're not just telling them to piss off there. You're not packaging them up and shipping them off there. You personally are dragging them kicking and screaming into hell, and I think it makes the line much more powerful.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

steelle
12th Jun 2010, 04:14
Barret is pretty cool guy. He takes you to hell and doesn't afraid of anything?

KSingh77
12th Jun 2010, 04:21
He's clearly gonna be a nemesis and boss fight possibly.

Adam would have pulled on his nose ring if that thing wasn't covering part of his face.

Hiver
12th Jun 2010, 04:26
Im not really excited about him. I guess he irritates me and that can be viewed as a good thing cause i would definitely want to kick that butt off a skyscraper, or shoot with a sniper from a mile away, or push into helicopter blades.

I just dont like big guys shouting silly things as characters.

JackShandy
12th Jun 2010, 05:25
I thought he was pretty cool in the trailer. Then the PC gamer preview mentioned him blurting "Well lookey here, we got ourselves a boy scout!" before telling adam that he'd "Done well to get this far" but "It ends here".

hem dazon 90
12th Jun 2010, 05:30
I thought he was pretty cool in the trailer. Then the PC gamer preview mentioned him blurting "Well lookey here, we got ourselves a boy scout!" before telling adam that he'd "Done well to get this far" but "It ends here".

But we must remember the 28th rule of artistic creation:

Thou shalt always have an ungodly cheesy character in order to provideth comic relief and feelings of hatred

Amen.

Irate_Iguana
12th Jun 2010, 07:31
But we must remember the 28th rule of artistic creation:

Thou shalt always have an ungodly cheesy character in order to provideth comic relief and feelings of hatred

Amen.

He looks almost exactly like John Matrix from the movie Commando. With that kind of 80's action star background the dude is entitled to incredibly cheesy lines.

pringlepower
12th Jun 2010, 08:04
cheesy in a lovable way?

hem dazon 90
12th Jun 2010, 08:11
cheesy in a lovable way?

yes

ZakKa89
12th Jun 2010, 08:49
He is really cheesy and looks and sounds like a cliche bad-guy.

Still like him

pringlepower
12th Jun 2010, 08:53
He is really cheesy and looks and sounds like a cliche bad-guy.

Still like him

reminds me of them infamous deus ex voiceovers.

Corpus
12th Jun 2010, 13:42
I like him, he's a walking tank full of rage. Gonna be one heck of a showdown I bet.

Pinky_Powers
12th Jun 2010, 13:44
I don't like him at all.

He pales in comparison to Hermann.

Corpus
12th Jun 2010, 13:53
I don't like him at all.

He pales in comparison to Hermann.

That's pretty much why he's there, can't put Hermann in so just have someone like him.
He's not really supposed to be an in-depth character, a thoughtless grunt is the epitome of a 'proxy soldier' since he's never gonna talk about his employers because he knows nothing.

Pinky_Powers
12th Jun 2010, 14:26
That's pretty much why he's there, can't put Hermann in so just have someone like him.
He's not really supposed to be an in-depth character, a thoughtless grunt is the epitome of a 'proxy soldier' since he's never gonna talk about his employers because he knows nothing.

It's not about returning Gunther, but creating a new character on-par with him. But instead we've got Barrett. :hmm:

jtr7
13th Jun 2010, 08:58
It's not just a bad line, but bad delivery of a bad line. I wouldn't find it powerful and scary, but it would begin to make me laugh if it wasn't for the pain and suffering and need to focus. It makes him sound like a meat-head dumbass, and if his only threat is hulk-smash brutality, then there is no threat unless the game forces a physical confrontation. Although, a DX1-style boss "fight" where little has to happen would make sense. :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 09:16
I have a feeling that one of the main female antagonists will be kicking ass more than Big Man Barrett! :cool:

PS. I'm sure his name has two t's at the end.

loke13
13th Jun 2010, 10:23
Here's a thought what would be a better choice of words?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 10:29
"So, you don't like my cookies?!! You're gonna die for that!" :mad:

Ilves
13th Jun 2010, 10:35
How are people complaining about cheese in context of a Deus Ex game? :D

I don't much like how much of an ugly bastard Barrett's turned out to be in comparison to earlier conceptart, but all in all a huge angry southerner with a flattop and a nose ring spells good things in my book.

Destroyerzero
13th Jun 2010, 12:50
Kind of reminds me of a cross between Virgil (Xenosaga) and Barret (FF VII)...I hope its not another military clone grunt. :(

Sabretooth1
13th Jun 2010, 13:01
Adam would have pulled on his nose ring if that thing wasn't covering part of his face.

That's not a nose ring, it's just that his nose is augmented.

Badmaker
13th Jun 2010, 13:30
@Sabretooth, u meant....augmented nose ring ? :D

pringlepower
13th Jun 2010, 20:01
How are people complaining about cheese in context of a Deus Ex game? :D

I don't much like how much of an ugly bastard Barrett's turned out to be in comparison to earlier conceptart, but all in all a huge angry southerner with a flattop and a nose ring spells good things in my book.

The old design was... I dunno, didn't look quite right. Maybe it was the haircut. With the new Barrett they're clearly taking more of a human tank look as opposed to some badass soldier.

Just noticed he had a bull belt buckle on the old design too

rokstrombo
14th Jun 2010, 06:20
Barrett sounds a bit like a Super Mutant from Fallout 3 to me.

Ubersuntzu
14th Jun 2010, 06:30
Some people don't like the line "I'll take you to hell" because it sounds too cliche.

I disagree completely. "Go to hell," sure. "I'll send you to hell," yeah, I've heard it. This is literally the first time I've ever heard "I'll take you to hell."

I think it really separates it from the others because it makes it more personal. You're not just telling them to piss off there. You're not packaging them up and shipping them off there. You personally are dragging them kicking and screaming into hell, and I think it makes the line much more powerful.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

I agree. He sounds like he has some kind of personal stake in the fight. He seems to care too much about whether or not Adam finds "them."

Jerion
14th Jun 2010, 07:21
Barrett sounds a bit like a Super Mutant from Fallout 3 to me.

Uglier and meaner though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Jun 2010, 22:33
Here's a thought what would be a better choice of words?

Looks like I'm the only one who wanted to play your game.
Shame, it could have been fun.

hardwired
17th Jun 2010, 17:52
He reminds me of one of the testosterone-mutants from Gears of War, awkward actionflic-voiceacting included.
Only thing missing is the fake ludicrous evil laugh (HU-HAHAHA!). So overall he is really a chlique. Not good for the immersion. I really dont in which kind of world some people live.

I prefer smart enemys with a normal physique, who simply say nothing, if they dont really have something to say.
And if I fight against them a subtil mimic or gestic with expression of exertion, anger or readiness to combat is enough.

Hope he will be quite different in the game.

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2010, 18:21
He reminds me of one of the testosterone-mutants from Gears of War, awkward actionflic-voiceacting included.
Only thing missing is the fake ludicrous evil laugh (HU-HAHAHA!). So overall he is really a chlique. Not good for the immersion. I really dont in which kind of world some people live.

I prefer smart enemys with a normal physique, who simply say nothing, if they dont really have something to say.
And if I fight against them a subtil mimic or gestic with expression of exertion, anger or readiness to combat is enough.

Hope he will be quite different in the game.

Jesus! I don't know what to say. So, you "prefer" your enemies to be exactly the same character, over and over again? I agree that Barrette is a cliché of his own, but it's just as clichéd if every antagonist was just as your described.

Diversity is the key. I love it when a bad guy surprises me with his personality and quirks. Heath Ledger's Joker is a good example of that. Zerg from Fifth Element. Agent Smith from The Matrix; outwardly, he seemed very controlled. But as the movie progressed he began to show just how savage he really was. Umm... Bricktop from Snatch. :D

hardwired
17th Jun 2010, 19:04
Jesus! I don't know what to say. So, you "prefer" your enemies to be exactly the same character, over and over again? I agree that Barrette is a cliché of his own, but it's just as clichéd if every antagonist was just as your described.

Diversity is the key. I love it when a bad guy surprises me with his personality and quirks. Heath Ledger's Joker is a good example of that. Zerg from Fifth Element. Agent Smith from The Matrix; outwardly, he seemed very controlled. But as the movie progressed he began to show just how savage he really was. Umm... Bricktop from Snatch. :D

I dont want to have always the same enemy and sorry, but: that conclusion seems a bit simple minded, anyway.

In the case of Barrett, I prefer, that he shut up. Who acts and talks that way? Its Hollywoodbull**** (Im ok with that, but i the case of Deus Ex ...).

I liked The Fifth Element, Matrix and Snatch, but they all share the same problem (all pretty much mainstream-movies/blockbuster), as the trailer (...where its even worse). So my cheese-senses tingled.
But,I dont like Shakespeare either, but cant say he just had written crap and all people who like his work dont have taste.
So maybe taste is the keyword.

But besides the flaws in Deus Ex its seemed quite different. In comparsion to the new game i see a lot less of pathos and overemotional dialog and atmosphere.
And thats the point, where Human Revolution fails, even they probably never wanted to do it: The loss of a constant in appereance.
Thats why I dont like Alien 4, too. The somehow realistic universe of the 3 previous movies was broken and it seemed pretty comic-like (the bullet-stunt in sportshall or the captain who touched his brain for example).

And for me its a much bigger problem then "casualisation" and "consolisation", so generally changes in gameplay, even Im not that pleased with some of them.

I liked Deus Ex primary for the time to develop itself, the music, the atmosphere, many of the dialogs, some characters, the complexity, the story and details.

LisuPL
17th Jun 2010, 19:16
Apparently he's gona act as a main peon of the actual enemy.

Just like Walton Simmons was a bottom bi*ch for Bob Page in original Deus Ex.

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2010, 19:18
I dont want to have always the same enemy and sorry, but: that conclusion seems a bit simple minded, anyway.

Not at all. You described a VERY specific character-type, and said "this is what I prefer my enemies to be like". There's no room for diversity in that. If all your baddies were just as you described, they'd all be the same character, just with different names and shirts.

And your statement that Snatch was a main-stream movie is laughable. You need to do a little research on that. Sure, it was Guy Richie's first studio-backed film, but he was still way off the main-stream path of things and allowed to do his own weird thing.

I specifically mentioned The Fifth Element and The Matrix because they were wildly unique movies that still to this day have no clones. And they were filled with great characters.

PenguinsFriend
17th Jun 2010, 19:19
Barrett is Adam's cybernetic brother - just like Paul was for J.C. :)

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2010, 19:23
That makes perfect sense.

LisuPL
17th Jun 2010, 19:35
Barrett is Adam's cybernetic brother - just like Paul was for J.C. :)

Obviously he was agumented, by one of the agumentation companies, that want to take over the market in 2027 and he works for them.

PenguinsFriend
17th Jun 2010, 19:37
Yes, and he's angry becuase Adam got all the "good" genetic material and he got all the junk dna :)

WildcatPhoenix
17th Jun 2010, 20:20
And your statement that Snatch was a main-stream movie is laughable. You need to do a little research on that. Sure, it was Guy Richie's first studio-backed film, but he was still way off the main-stream path of things and allowed to do his own weird thing.

He's probably being thrown off by the way every heist/caper flick since "Snatch" (including Ritchie's subsequent work) has tried to copy the style, attitude, and music from that film. It's hard to go back and experience how ground-breaking it was at the time now that we've been inundated with copycats.

Back on topic...

Barrett seems like your typical Marcus Fenix, John Matrix, Jesse-Ventura-from-Predator musclehead grunt from the trailers. His dialogue does have a bit of a personal bent to it, but that's just inference at this point. It's mostly just typical tough-guy trailer nonsense. Hopefully he's got more to him in the actual game.

After all, Gunther was a meathead too, but he had plenty of wonderful character moments: his pathetic obsession with Anna Navarre, who probably treated him like dirt the whole time. His passwords and constant requests for skull-guns and whatnot. The "I see you" infolink moment atop the Paris cathedral roof. And of course, the soda machine conspiracy.

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2010, 20:29
After all, Gunther was a meathead too, but he had plenty of wonderful character moments: his pathetic obsession with Anna Navarre, who probably treated him like dirt the whole time. His passwords and constant requests for skull-guns and whatnot. The "I see you" infolink moment atop the Paris cathedral roof. And of course, the soda machine conspiracy.

This is what I've been saying in the past. Hermann was a wonderful character and quite deep, though he was still the Muscle Guy archetype. It all comes down to writing. A good writing team can do wonders for any sort of character. But based on the Trailer, I don't see that Barrette is going to be any good.

I'm fully prepared for some evidence to the contrary. But so far, all we've got is the trailer. :hmm:

pringlepower
18th Jun 2010, 22:14
well that was brought up in GlobalNode's analysis of the trailer on youtube is that Barrett's nosering might have some symbolism (along with the bull references)
basically in the myth of Icarus and Daedalus the whole point of the wings was to escape King Minos' labyrinth (which Daedalus designed). Anyways, is Barrett the metaphorical Minotaur?

Pinky_Powers
18th Jun 2010, 22:20
well that was brought up in GlobalNode's analysis of the trailer on youtube is that Barrett's nosering might have some symbolism (along with the bull references)
basically in the myth of Icarus and Daedalus the whole point of the wings was to escape King Minos' labyrinth (which Daedalus designed). Anyways, is Barrett the metaphorical Minotaur?

I think he's a real Minotaur, with thick toughs of hair jutting from his bum.

pringlepower
19th Jun 2010, 01:40
and augmented horns?

sonicsidewinder
19th Jun 2010, 02:11
Big Man Barret is a Big bad wigga, an he'z takin u to hell if u think otherwise. nuff sed.

rhalibus
19th Jun 2010, 06:00
I agree that Gunther had a more philosophical bent than what I've seen from Barrett, although we don't have a lot of dialogue to make an extensive analysis. Gunther had a simple nihilism to him, like the way he spoke about the "Gentlemen's Agreement" with UNATCO to kill JC in exchange for any upgrades he wanted.

True villain menace has always been through dialogue and subtext; that's why villains are usually played by great actors:

Hans Gruber in Die Hard when threatening someone to get a safe code: "That's a nice suit; it would be a shame to ruin it".

Commodus in Gladiator, in response to Gracchus' plea to help the lepers: "Have you ever held the hand of a leper?" "No, but if you question me again, I am sure you will"...Subtle threats are always more menacing.

Walter Simons, threatening JC and his heroism: "There's only one cure, you know. Once you have the disease."

I hope Barrett has been given some depth and intelligence, even wit; it makes a better adversary.

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 06:31
I hope Barrett has been given some depth and intelligence, even wit; it makes a better adversary.

So do I. The character isn't beyond hope. Admittedly, we've seen very little of him to judge. But from that little, I am displeased.

Kodaemon
19th Jun 2010, 06:41
Apparently he's gona act as a main peon of the actual enemy.

Just like Walton Simmons was a bottom bi*ch for Bob Page in original Deus Ex.

The Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon), you mean. I got that impression too.

About Gunther: Yeah, I loved his philosophising, his quirks, his self-irony. he was not stupid. A bit slow, maybe, a bit awkward, but not stupid. One of my favourite characters in the game, really.

Barrett seems like someone who's filled with a sort of righteous rage. The outrageous texan accent makes that impression stronger. Maybe he's one of the people who are fanatically against augmentation? You know, fighting fire with fire?

"I'll take you to hell!" = "I know I'm going to hell for what I've become, but at least I'm taking as many of you freaks as I can with me!"?

Irate_Iguana
19th Jun 2010, 12:07
Wow, I find myself alone in the notion that not every character needs to be this deep person. What is wrong with just having him as a hommage to 80's action stars? I'm sure there will be plenty other characters to fill the interesting and deep character role.

Ilves
19th Jun 2010, 12:46
Seconded. Bring on the cheesecake!

jtr7
19th Jun 2010, 13:05
I'm thinking he's made this way for the usual reason of making the baddy easy to hate and not too hard on the conscience to kill off.

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 20:06
All characters should have depth, even if they are cheesecakes.

Ilves
19th Jun 2010, 20:50
Although technically Barret probably qualifies as beefcake... http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/33.gif

Irate_Iguana
19th Jun 2010, 21:02
All characters should have depth, even if they are cheesecakes.

Barrett is simply a bad enough dude to kidnap the scientist.

remmus
19th Jun 2010, 21:11
Barret raises a question, will we be able to "loot" augmentations from the bosses, because his minigun arm is sweet :3

pringlepower
19th Jun 2010, 22:01
Barret raises a question, will we be able to "loot" augmentations from the bosses, because his minigun arm is sweet :3

Why loot a minigun arm when Adam can just pull out guns from his ridiculously-large video game inventory

remmus
19th Jun 2010, 22:09
Why loot a minigun arm when Adam can just pull out guns from his ridiculously-large video game inventory

because it´s a minigun arm...do I really have to explain why that be sweet to have?

Jerion
19th Jun 2010, 22:11

Might not have to steal his to get one like it. In the super-ultra-duper-high-quality 1080p version of the trailer, you can make out he Sarif Ind logo on it when it's changing from hand mode to gun mode.

pringlepower
19th Jun 2010, 22:12
Might not have to steal his to get one like it. In the super-ultra-duper-high-quality 1080p version of the trailer, you can make out he Sarif Ind logo on it when it's changing from hand mode to gun mode.

And yet he fights Adam. Conspiracy!

LisuPL
19th Jun 2010, 22:33

Maybe he turns on your side....later in the game....or in one of possible storylines...

Pinky_Powers
19th Jun 2010, 22:34

Sarif makes the augmentations for anybody with the money to pay. So Barrett doesn't have to be an agent of Sarif to have one of their arm cannons.

pringlepower
19th Jun 2010, 22:55
where is this logo anyways. is it after the "great innovation" part?

ThePrecursor
23rd Jun 2010, 12:12
My take on this is that Barrett represents the Minotaur (that was held in the Cretan Labyrinth of King Minos in the Greek myth) as others have already stated. If you know the myth, it states that the minotaur was a monster and became uncontrollable by it's mother (Pasiphae, the wife of Minos) and thus had to be locked away. What we've seen from Barrett is that he's a brute, half man-half machine (the Minotaur was half man- half beast) with some rather cheesy dialogue (it's debatable whether it's actually cheesy or just dull-brained - since those aren't exactly the same). If he represents the Minotaur, he clearly does a good job as the Minotaur wasn't an intelligent being itself. So what may just appear to be a brute, mindless character put in the game for the sake of it, could very well be a representation of the Minotaur as a form of symbolism (of what he might represent to Adam in the story).

michal.lewtak
23rd Jun 2010, 16:37
I just didn't like how he started shooting Adam during the cutscene. It's just plain stupid.

JablesKage
23rd Jun 2010, 16:38
Not to keen on his accent

ThePrecursor
23rd Jun 2010, 16:43
I just didn't like how he started shooting Adam during the cutscene. It's just plain stupid.

So it's stupid for someone to shoot an enemy at sight? What would you have liked him to do then?

JablesKage
23rd Jun 2010, 16:50

Ah, so you wanted the classic bond moment where he keeps him talking long enough to escape or perhaps attack???

That could be a classic QT event that would fail epically

pringlepower
23rd Jun 2010, 22:02
Ah, so you wanted the classic bond moment where he keeps him talking long enough to escape or perhaps attack???

That could be a classic QT event that would fail epically

No you're not thinking hard enough. He must talk and explain the entire evil plot with all its weaknesses, name every single conspirator, and THEN let Adam escape.

Icarus7
24th Jun 2010, 00:47
haha this guy looks good for a boss but it would be more awesome if he was one of the people who killed him...i think adam is clinicly dead but his body is alive right?

Icarus7
24th Jun 2010, 00:49
right im a greek and i know about the icarus and the minotaur but u never know they even puted da vinci :P

Pinky_Powers
24th Jun 2010, 01:14
right im a greek and i know about the icarus and the minotaur but u never know they even puted da vinci :P

People aren't going to like you if they can't understand you.

Well, maybe they'll like you more, actually.

KSingh77
26th Jun 2010, 20:57
What about the bald 47 guy with the shades?

Think he'll be different from Barrett?

Besides Barrett and his destructive ways,this one must the thinker and plans tactical.Looks like he isn't augmented but since he's armed with a pistol,my guess is that he has some sort of eye targeting augmentation,being highly accuate with any weapon.

These two could opposite in my opinion.

xsamitt
26th Jun 2010, 21:30
Gunter was given wit,a certain kind of dangerous charm,dignity along with great voice acting along with intelligence and ability to reason albeit even it was from his own view point.That character was well fleshed out as far as ruff guys go.Plus Gunter never had to shout to be taken serious.
I sincerely hope EM avoid the mistake of making him just a ruff reference beefcake bad-guy.

Cylon
26th Jun 2010, 22:27
maby hes upset because adam told barret, the armor he wears looks like he has the toilet seat flap stuck in his face?

His armor made me think how the 'ell does that guy eat!? Hugs his kids/wife, kisses them etc( If the armor is a cybernetic uppgrade that is). Maby hes furious about all the times his armor has blinded his kids, and the cost having to take em' to the limb clinic all the time?

Im not to happy about the 'ill take you to hell' line either, it makes me think of the really bad voice overs you hear sometimes.

pringlepower
26th Jun 2010, 23:29
maby hes upset because adam told barret, the armor he wears looks like he has the toilet seat flap stuck in his face?

His armor made me think how the 'ell does that guy eat!? Hugs his kids/wife, kisses them etc( If the armor is a cybernetic uppgrade that is). Maby hes furious about all the times his armor has blinded his kids, and the cost having to take em' to the limb clinic all the time?

Im not to happy about the 'ill take you to hell' line either, it makes me think of the really bad voice overs you hear sometimes.

As if anyone with a minigun arm would be good with kids

Ilves
26th Jun 2010, 23:31
Or women. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/20.gif

Cylon
27th Jun 2010, 07:18
dont be judgmental! just because he has a gun-arm dosnt mean he dosnt have feelings!!! :P
hmmm maby THATS why he has such chezzy lines? 'your a loser becuz u gotz a gunarm, loser!' 'I'll take you TO HELL!!!!, but first lunch!' 'leave some dougnuts for me plezzz??' 'you'll never find EM!!!!'