PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Invisible War non-canon?

ShadowXOR
11th Jun 2010, 03:36
Someone on another forum posted saying Warren Spector disavowed IW as non-canon.

I'm just curious if this is true?

Personally in my own world it's non-canon because I thought the story was even worse than the gameplay (which wasn't actually that bad if it wasn't a sequel to the legendary beast known as DX).

To me it did the #1 cardinal sin that before I even played it I said it could not do:

I said I would hate it if it destroyed the Paul/JC Denton characters, which it most certainly did. I liked the options they gave you surrounding them, particularly your options when opposing them, but feel they just completely destroyed the characters. I'm shocked the same writer made the second, guess he was a one hit wonder.

Kodaemon
11th Jun 2010, 04:31
Someone on another forum posted saying Warren Spector disavowed IW as non-canon.

That someone was fantasising.

Romeo
11th Jun 2010, 06:00
See, ironically, I'm a complete 180 from the OP. I thought the gameplay was a step-down from the original (I should say, I found the original better after, IW was my virgin experience with the genre) whereas I didn't mind the plot at all. In fact, I replayed that game many times exclusively for the story.

Still, to each their own, I suppose.

demon boy
11th Jun 2010, 06:10
wishful thinking

ShadowXOR
11th Jun 2010, 06:18
See, ironically, I'm a complete 180 from the OP. I thought the gameplay was a step-down from the original (I should say, I found the original better after, IW was my virgin experience with the genre) whereas I didn't mind the plot at all. In fact, I replayed that game many times exclusively for the story.

Oh I agree I thought the original was a huge step down in gameplay. I'm just saying I didn't think the gameplay was as much of a slap in the face as the story. Though they both were.

Cylinder_1024
11th Jun 2010, 06:23
I didn't mind the plot at all. In fact, I replayed that game many times exclusively for the story.

I'm in agreement with you, there were a few memorable moments in IW as far as story goes. It's been a while but I still recall waking JC and having the discussion about Helios ruling. The real pain for me with IW was it's inventory system and guns/ammo.

Anasumtj
11th Jun 2010, 07:13
IW's story was pretty good, but the game's structure and span didn't give any of the factions enough space to fill out and get interesting. And ultimately I found its anti/pro augmentation debate less satisfying than Deus Ex's overall preoccupation with conspiracies. I predict having similar feelings towards HR's emphasis on transhumanism.