PDA

View Full Version : The Trophy / Achievement Discussion ...

GrievousOdyssey
10th Jun 2010, 19:14
Here's our table for all who whishes to talk about their opinions and such on trophies / achievements (which means that those who are not interested in these things should gtfo right this instant , or take a seat over there and eat muffins) ...

You can and should talk about anything that is related to this mindless system created by evil game developers right here ...
Talk about your favorite trophies / achievements , the hardest you obtained , the ones you never got to obtain and all sorts of other trivial experiences you had and like to share or even raise important questions ...

And you can show your mighty trophy cabinet / achievemnt collection too ...

Now i'll begin first by discussing the problem of all trophy / achievement lists ... none of them are fully satisfying and challenging at the same time , they're either too easy (for example they'll give you tons of silver trophy and a gold one Just by completing the game) or just too damn stupid (think of those excessive requirement of online grinding) ... i've yet to see a game where we might actually be Proud of obtaining all its trophies , what do you think ? ...

Brackstone17
10th Jun 2010, 20:16
I desperately hate competitive multiplayer achievements. They are always incredibly boring and pointless. Some are okay if they are something crazy or fun to complete, but ones like "reach the top of the leaderboard" or "win 5 deathmatch games in a row" are just ridiculous.

JackGordon
10th Jun 2010, 20:42
Grievous, one fine example of bull**** achievements are Gears of War's 'Seriously' (Kill 10,000 people in versus ranked match total, has to be done online and here's the kicker: it's glitched.) and Gears of War 2's 'Seriously 2.0' (Kill 100.000 enemies), both worth 50G. F--- those. :hmm:

And I do have one game where I think the achievements and trophies were perfect: Bioshock. Own both the 360 & PS3 versions, one with the 1100G and one with the Platinum trophy.
Bioshock introduced me to this generation of consoles; it's the reason I bought a 360 Elite back in '07. And I bought it again because the PS3 version had exclusive DLC (challenge rooms) AND an exclusive Survivor difficulty.

Anyways;

Hardest achievements obtained, top 3:
3. Gears of War - Commando (30G); Insane difficulty, solo. Wasn't on live back then and don't have gamer friends in real life. Was a huge challenge. I now help others through it regularly on co-op. In fact, it's my specialty.:cool:
2. Resident Evil 5 - War Hero (70G); Professional difficulty, solo (yes, ugh...) up until the battle with Wesker & Jill (chapter 5.3), after that I went co-op because Sheva's AI is broken... Never again. Oh and f--- this game.
1. F.E.A.R. - Fearsome (100G); Extreme difficulty, solo. Never again.

Hardest trophies obtained, top 3:
3. Wipeout HD Fury - WipEout Disciple (Silver); obtain 100.000 loyalty points for any team. Not hard but one of those annoying, time-consuming trophies and I didn't have enough trophies to brag about besides n°1 & n°2...
2. Bioshock - I Chose the Impossible (Gold); Survivor difficulty without using vita chambers. Skipped Hard difficulty and went straight to Survivor. Was a great challenge, would do it again because I love this game so much. Unlocked 4 other trophies in the same run; "Seriously Good at This" (Bronze - Completed the game on the Hard), "Brass Balls" (Gold - Complete the game on Hard difficulty without using a Vita-Chamber), "A Man Chooses" (Gold - Complete the game on Survivor difficulty) and the Platinum. One epic run :cool:
1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Charted! - Crushing (Gold); finish the game in Crushing Mode. Got my Platinum with it too. Never again.

GrievousOdyssey
10th Jun 2010, 21:04
I know that "Seriously" achievement (i do not own a 360 but I Do look at achievement lists for 360 exclusive titles) , and it is my personal belief that it's a trick made by Epic games to see who are actually 'no-life' gamers ...

I'm pretty sure Game developers have a way to track the trophies and achievement obtained by players , this could explain why some games have got at least twenty trophies Just For Completing The Damn Game , i bet they have a chart that allows them to see statistically how many gamers finished the game and how many only reached point B / C /D and etc of said game ...

How else can we explain this incredible lack of imagination from the developers ? ...
Look , i know it feels satisfying for gamers to obtain 'something' once completing some hard sections of a game , but Trophies and Achievement should be reserved for challenges set by the developers that require a harder effort from the player to obtain them ...
If they're really desperate in offering gamers some reward for progressing through the game , why don't they add in bonus materials , in which you earn points by playing the game , and after finishing it you can buy extra videos or costumes or cheats ... but leave the Trophies / Achievement for challenging stuff ! ...

Don't we all agree ? or do you all prefer simple easy trophies that pops in every thirty minutes ? ...

PS : Charted was harder than I choose the impossible ? ... Seriously ? ...

ohitspatty
11th Jun 2010, 05:45
Like I said before I used to be an achievement whore but I don't have enough of patience for some achievements/trophies and now I'm just doing stuff for fun like Fallout 3 trophies for example...there is not a single one so far that's been bothering me and most are even fun such as the "quest" related ones.

However, there shouldn't be any achievements and trophies for storyline. One for beating the game on hardest difficulty is awesome but really the storyline related trophies/achiveos are lame. The developers should spend more time trying to come up with more creative stuff.

But well, what can you do...

P.S I love the pictures of Fallout 3 trophies! I think those are one of the best ones I have seen.

JackGordon
11th Jun 2010, 10:55
If they're really desperate in offering gamers some reward for progressing through the game , why don't they add in bonus materials , in which you earn points by playing the game , and after finishing it you can buy extra videos or costumes or cheats ... but leave the Trophies / Achievement for challenging stuff ! ...
That's what they did with both Uncharted games, correct? I'm happy with that. But they also left in trophies to unlock for people that care about those. So, everybody's happy.

PS : Charted was harder than I choose the impossible ? ... Seriously ? ...
Yes because if you screwed up once on Crushing, you could practically just restart your checkpoint (remember the church battle with Sully near the end?). And don't get me wrong, Survivor is really hard but it is a bit more forgiving than Crushing.

GrievousOdyssey
11th Jun 2010, 11:59
I was asking because i got Charted , but didn't dare to play Bioshock on very hard Without the Vita Chamber (i got A man chooses , of which i like the trophy title a lot more than 'i choose the impossible' which sounds rather silly) ...

And so if you say that Charted was harder , well , i might go after Bioshock in my spare time then ...

JackGordon
11th Jun 2010, 13:01
Keep in mind that for the first few "stages", the description they give you for Survivor is, shall we say, very accurate. Up until Fort Frolic; every bullet does count. Useful tips:
- Get ALL of your research done as quickly as possible.
- Know every enemy's weakness by heart.
- When in trouble, improvise with what you have and be creative.
- Save very often.

I thought Survivor was a lot of fun and the way Bioshock was meant to be played for experienced players. Good luck!

GrievousOdyssey
11th Jun 2010, 14:51
The biggest mistake i've made with Bioshock is that instead of having fun with it , i aimed for the Brass Balls trophy ... on my first playthrough ...

Stupid , wasn't it ? ... i guess it's somewhat because of that that i'm so relunctant at playing survivor with no vita chambers ...

Still , when i finished Bioshock for the first time , i earned all three trophies (defeating Atlas , finishing on hard and Brass Balls) all on the Fourty Seventh minute of the hour ...

It felt so cool ...

JackGordon
11th Jun 2010, 16:52
Stupid , wasn't it ?
Yes. Insanely stupid.

True story: before I was on xbox live, Bioshock and Condemned were pretty much the only games I owned. I finished Bioshock on Hard and and kept my checkpoint of the final bossfight. I always do that with my games if possible, to relive those epic moments.
Time went by and I did get on live eventually. A friend of mine came over one day and he wanted me to show him how I beat Atlas on Hard. After starting up the game, I got an update. Didn't know what it was for so I just reloaded my checkpoint and beat Atlas again. Suddenly: *bip-bup* Brass Balls unlocked. Turns out that the checkpoint I saved was from a Vita-Chamberless run!

GrievousOdyssey
11th Jun 2010, 17:01
What can i say ? ever since Dead Men i always start my first playthrough on the hard difficulty setting , and when i saw that you only get a gold trophy for finishing it Without them vita chambers , well ... i did it ...

Luckily though ever since that time i told myself never look at the trophy list of a game i'm playing until after i finish it , so that i will Play First , without trophies in mind to alter the way i play the game , and only Hunt for the Trophies later ...

This did lead to one embarassing moment where after finishing Killzone 2 on hard mode i got no trophies for it , then again playing it on hard for the first time made me ready to take on the very hard difficulty on the second playthrough , and it became a bit easier than for most people who make the jump from normal to very hard ...

Edit : And your story makes me want to rally up the whole village to start lynching your ass ...

JackGordon
11th Jun 2010, 17:14
Hey now, I made up for it by skipping the Hard difficulty on the PS3 version and going straight to Survivor. *pushes grievous off a cliff for no damn reason*

GrievousOdyssey
11th Jun 2010, 17:33
Well i'm damn proud of myself for completing Bound in Blood , World at War AND Arkham Asylum on hard mode on first playthrough (in fact it's Exactly how this game should be played) ...

It's a damn shame that God of War Collection's tophies are non difficulty related , which makes them a embarassement to society and unworthy of me ! (at least God of War III has one for completing Hard , again , did it on first try , but no trophies for the infamous Very Hard ? SHAME) ...

And yes i was talking all while falling off the cliff ... marvelous ...

GrievousOdyssey
12th Jun 2010, 16:26
. . .

Assassin's Creed 2 ...
I just got the "Show your color" trophy ... in which you had to go to every city in the game wearing a particulare cape , a cape that you can only obtain by collecting one hundred feathers ...

Problem is ... that ... i didn't get the trophy for collecting all one hundred feathers ...

So ... yeah ...

I'm trying VERY HARD right now not to go on a Rampage ...
I'm Trying ... i'm trying ...

EDIT : In yet another rather awkward coincidence ...
This guy over here has ran into the same issue ...
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/assassins-creed-2/54609-trophie-didnt-poped-up.html

JackGordon
22nd Jun 2010, 19:17
Sweet. Just got my 3rd Platinum trophy; Uncharted 2.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 20:06
I don't need no platinum ... I'm too good for it ! ...

Honestly though , i still haven't seen a game worthy of being my first platinum , otherwise i've got six games that i can platinum in a hour , but i've left them at 95-99% ...

I have issues , i know ...

JackGordon
22nd Jun 2010, 20:14
I'm going to try and finish Heavy Rain (91%), buy the Uncharted 2 dlc and try to finish those trophies and then hopefully The Last Guardian will be released.

Shut up, let me dream.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 20:39
I just don't understand why people wants to even build a 'hype' or 'anticipation' on a game like The Last Guardian , it'll come out when it comes out , don't worry about it ...

And holy crap you buy DLCs ? BOO !!!! ...

ohitspatty
22nd Jun 2010, 22:31
I don't need no platinum ... I'm too good for it ! ...

Honestly though , i still haven't seen a game worthy of being my first platinum , otherwise i've got six games that i can platinum in a hour , but i've left them at 95-99% ...

I have issues , i know ...

Which games are those? Cause I think you should platinum Arkham Asylum since you got all the other ones, right?

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 22:42
Dead Space , Prince of Persia , The Return of Matt Hazard , The Force Unleashed , Arkham Asylum , God of War III , and now , thanks to that trophy glitch i have to recollect one hundred pigeon feathers for Assassin's Creed 2 , otherwise it'll be set to go as well ...

So that means i have seven platinum at my doorstep , meaning i got practically all of the trophies , leaving only one or three really easy ones to avoid getting the platinum ... but i didn't collected any of them because none of the platinums seems ... Worthy enough in itself , i mean these were all fairly 'easy' games to platinum , sure the hard modes for Matt Hazard and Force Unleashed were a pain in itself to achieve , but overall ... i just don't want Any of them to be my first platinum ...

Dog Days maybe ? i don't know , if it's got online related trophies i doubt i'll be going for it ...
Hitman V then ? yeah , in two years then ...

Or i can still dream for a trophy patch for Dead Men's single player and co-op , i'll be the first one to obtain them all , hell yeah ...

ohitspatty
22nd Jun 2010, 23:03
LMAO. Well, it sure is fuggin strange.
I'm pretty sure Dog Days will have online trophies.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 23:28
You don't know the other half of it ...
Fact i'm telling you now ...

If you take a look at my trophy list you'll see that ...
Hey wait , you guys do Know how to look at another PS3 user's trophy cabinet , right ? ...
http://us.playstation.com/psn/trophies/index.htm
Simple , you just type in a person's PSN ID and it'll show you his trophy list , don't even need to sign up , though you can compare yours with it if you do sign up , anywya it's a neat lil feature on the official Playstation website ...
Wonder why Microsoft never had the same system ...

Anywya , you'll see i 'hunt' for platinums in a very ******* weird way , it's because i made a couple of rules to myself ...

First , i'm not going to hunt for platinums if it has Online related trophies (i'm making a exception for IO's games) , so for example Far Cry 2 , Killzone 2 and Bound in Blood are all excluded from the hunting list ...
Yep , even Grand Theft Auto IV (though in order to calm my urge , i've 100% the single player trophies) ...

Second is that the Name of the Platinum trophy must be something Original , meaning if it's simply called 'Platinum trophy' , then i'll be avoiding it ...
So you'll see that Fallout 3 , Bioshock , Uncharted and Infamous are out of the list ...
Dubious mention to The Saboteur , whose platinum name is the same as the platinum trophy description , "Completed all other trophies" ... i know Pandemic was close of being shut down , but this is just lame ...

However , that being said , i still collect for Golds and Silver trophies from these 'excluded' games , though not all of them , of course ...

Brackstone17
22nd Jun 2010, 23:30
Microsoft does have the same system.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 23:40
I can't find it on their website , it's too hard ! ...

Brackstone17
22nd Jun 2010, 23:50
All you do with xbox is go to their profile, choose compare games, and it will give a game by game comparison on your total gamerscore (if you're logged in that is). Choosing an individual game will take you to an achievement by achievement comparison for that game.

GrievousOdyssey
22nd Jun 2010, 23:57
Ah ! so the system hasn't changed , i was talking about a system that allows for public viewing , since i don't own a 360 i don't have a account for it years ago i couldn't check on my friend's achievement cabinet , and it was a pity since he was pretty proud of having more than sixty thousand gamerscore , or something like that ...

So yeah , the system hasn't changed , so Sony wins again ! ...

PS : one could , of course , argue that Nintendo wins even more by not having anything that resembles trophies / achievements , and yet it sell games more than the two other companies ...

That's a achievement right there ...

Brackstone17
23rd Jun 2010, 00:01
Go to his profile and click "played games".

Edit: Ok, nevermind, they don't let you do that without an account. Never noticed that before. If you have a live ID it should work though.

GrievousOdyssey
23rd Jun 2010, 00:04
I can't even enter his profile , it keeps sending me to Create a Xbox Live account page ...