PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia identified!

Kodaemon
9th Jun 2010, 21:55
All credit goes to Weasel @ TTLG

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8715/obraz011ai.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1589/philadelphiaskyline.jpg

ChrisVCB
9th Jun 2010, 21:57
Ooooooooh. Well spotted Weasel. Being British, the only thing I know about Philly - "In west Philadelphia, born and raised, on the playgrounds, is where I spent most of my days....."

*waits for someone clever to do a DX version*

TrickyVein
9th Jun 2010, 21:59
As a local Baltimoron, I am none too pleased about being passed up like this.

Dead-Eye
9th Jun 2010, 22:00
@ChrisVCB: You're moving to a Swedish boarding school in MJ12's care?

Kodaemon
9th Jun 2010, 22:04
So, that gives us two officially confirmed cities (Shanghai, Detroit) and two identified from concept art (Montreal, Philadelphia). Hmm, wasn't it mentioned somewhere we'd be visiting five cities? That would give us just one more left...

ChrisVCB
9th Jun 2010, 22:06

JC Denton is 'The Fresh Prince of UNATCO'....

Oh and I really hope the last one to be ID'd is a none US city. We want a globetrotting conspiracy!

Blade_hunter
9th Jun 2010, 22:10
Montreal was mentioned but I don't remember about Philadelphia.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 22:11
I don't see the resemblance.

Deus_Ex_Machina
9th Jun 2010, 22:18
Ooooooooh. Well spotted Weasel. Being British, the only thing I know about Philly - "In west Philadelphia, born and raised, on the playgrounds, is where I spent most of my days....."

*waits for someone clever to do a DX version*

In western New York, born and raised

On the streets is where I spent most of my days

Lockpicking, hacking, relaxing all cool

And all shooting some terrorists outside of a school

When some NSF guys, they were up to no good

Started making trouble in my neighborhood

I got in one little fight and Manderly got scared

And said "J.C., you're moving in with your bro Paul in Bel-air!"

I whistled for a chopper and when it came near

The name plate said "JOCK" and it had dice in the mirror

If anything I could say this chopper was rare

But I thought, nah, forget it, yo Jock to Bel-air!

I landed by a house about seven or eight

And I yelled to the pilot, "yo Jock, smell you later!"

Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there

To sit on my throne as The Prince of Bel-air!

Best I could do without butchering the original.

JackShandy
10th Jun 2010, 01:35
That...

:flowers:that was beautiful.

St. Mellow
10th Jun 2010, 01:41
You, sir, have just won not just one, but TWO internets.

hem dazon 90
10th Jun 2010, 02:03
make that OVER 9,000!11!

Icky6
10th Jun 2010, 02:14
Nice catch, I cannot believe I didn't notice that myself, having spend most of my life 20 minutes outside the city myself. As a current Boston student, I do hope to find this city too! Go Flyers, btw. And Celtics.

Freedom_of_Speech
10th Jun 2010, 02:30
Seems this game will take you through various locations throughout the globe! I can't wait
Wonder if it will reach out to the west.

KSingh77
10th Jun 2010, 02:40
*Now back to the Fresh Prince of Deus Ex.*

Sabretooth1
10th Jun 2010, 05:03
There's a question that arises from the photo: why is the building from the right exactly as unfinished in 2027 as it is now? Or is this an avant-garde architectural design I'm not familiar with? Most importantly, this image is still finalised concept art and not the actual game.

Kodaemon
10th Jun 2010, 05:12
I thought the same about the unfinished building, but then sometimes construction projects just stall for years because of various reasons like changing owners.

Sabretooth1
10th Jun 2010, 05:34
I thought the same about the unfinished building, but then sometimes construction projects just stall for years because of various reasons like changing owners.

17 years and it's exactly as today? o___O

Jerion
10th Jun 2010, 05:37

Eh, the Boston skyline looks pretty much the same today as it did back in the early 90s. It's plausible. You'd think that building would be at least a little more finished though.

EDIT: It actually looks like an artist got lazy with the concept art and drew the landing pad, pilot + VTOL, then just dropped in that stock image of Philadelphia and fiddled with the color.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2010, 09:17
Nice find!!!!
Thanks for this, Kodaemon.

Serendip1ty
10th Jun 2010, 16:31
Eh, the Boston skyline looks pretty much the same today as it did back in the early 90s. It's plausible. You'd think that building would be at least a little more finished though.

EDIT: It actually looks like an artist got lazy with the concept art and drew the landing pad, pilot + VTOL, then just dropped in that stock image of Philadelphia and fiddled with the color.

I like how you make use of the word "lazy". Concepts artists of course get all the time of the world to make their designs & never have to even consider working for a deadline :).
The skyline picture is clearly used as filler so all time could be spent on the more important stuff.

Pinky_Powers
10th Jun 2010, 17:10
I like how you make use of the word "lazy". Concepts artists of course get all the time of the world to make their designs & never have to even consider working for a deadline :).
The skyline picture is clearly used as filler so all time could be spent on the more important stuff.

This is a good point. That picture is clearly a concept piece, not an in-game shot. So there's no reason to be mean.

ChrisVCB
10th Jun 2010, 17:19

Which brings the question; was Philadelphia deliberately used or did the artist, trying to do concept for a Pilot in a generic city, google image search "cityscape" and pick a picture with tall towers? It'd be cool if they were aiming to do the city though, rather than it being coincidence.

ZakKa89
10th Jun 2010, 17:27
excellent find!

St. Mellow
10th Jun 2010, 18:21
Which brings the question; was Philadelphia deliberately used or did the artist, trying to do concept for a Pilot in a generic city, google image search "cityscape" and pick a picture with tall towers? It'd be cool if they were aiming to do the city though, rather than it being coincidence.

Who knows? In any case, Philly has good reason to appear in a game about conspiracies, and I don't think they would just use a random picture that popped up on a search. They may have been lazy, but I think the fact that it is the Philadelphia skyline is deliberate.

jjc
19th Jun 2010, 14:26

The unfinished building on the right is the Comcast Center, currently the tallest skyscraper in Philadelphia. It was completed in late 2007/early 2008, depending on what your definition of completed is. My guess is that this is an early piece of concept art, DX3 being announced in Nov of 07, when more shots of the city skyline would include the unfinished CC.

For those of you interested in the particulars, the helipad appears to be slightly north of City Hall and looking westbound toward the Schuylkill River. The towers, from left to right, are Liberty 2, Liberty 1, Mellon Bank Center (where Tom Hanks in the movie Philadelphia worked), and of course the unfinished Comcast Center.

As a Philadelphian and DX fan, I am supremely excited at the potential of my beloved city being used as a locale.

EDIT: I just thought of one more thing. We all know that triangles or the Greek delta plays some thematic part in DXHR. If you look at the skyline of Philadelphia, make of our towers have trianglular peaks. There is another one, the G Fred DiBona building, which is obscured by the Mellon Bank Center. Also, it's rumored that at the top of the Mellon Bank Center a secret club known as the Pyramid Club meets.

KSingh77
19th Jun 2010, 16:05
Hopefully we get to see the Rocky statue.

AaronJ
19th Jun 2010, 16:06
Philly and Detroit...it will be interesting to see how they make two big cities in the same country that different, especially if there are only five locations.

It's a Swiss school.

jtr7
19th Jun 2010, 16:45
Anybody recognize the cityscape below Adam/Icarus as he ascends? Is it arbitrary or intended to be that place, and does it really correlate to where Adam was given his augmentations? Since we were left with the impression that there's more to analyze in the trailer then has been, it's fair game. :p

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/DXHR_CityBelow_IcarusFlight.jpg

LisuPL
19th Jun 2010, 16:51
Electronic Old Men are already preparing a throne for you in the Mythical City in the Hills, for this discovery !

D. Denton
19th Jun 2010, 22:59
In the Dutch magazine PowerUnlimited they indeed mentioned Montreal as a city...

pringlepower
19th Jun 2010, 23:02
Montreal was mentioned a long time ago
It's good to know that the conspiracy has finally reached Canada. we've had it too good for too long

AaronJ
19th Jun 2010, 23:35
Anybody recognize the cityscape below Adam/Icarus as he ascends? Is it arbitrary or intended to be that place, and does it really correlate to where Adam was given his augmentations? Since we were left with the impression that there's more to analyze in the trailer then has been, it's fair game. :p

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/DXHR_CityBelow_IcarusFlight.jpg

It's Vatican City.

KSingh77
20th Jun 2010, 00:11
I always thought it was Florence.

Pinky_Powers
20th Jun 2010, 03:30
Smells like Kansas City. ...strong wafts of BBQ.