PDA

View Full Version : I think we can accept health regen, but what about limb damage?

seniorsassycat
9th Jun 2010, 15:18
health regen makes sense. It keeps you from scrounging the level for food or sitting at a water fountain getting one HP.

On the other hand it makes the game alot easier, you never have to worry about trying to take on a group of much better armed people.

I think health packs should remain in the game, and be used to heal limbs, broken legs would make you walk slower, broken arms would make you less accurate.
now you might be thinking "wait a minute, his arms (and legs?) are prosthetics."

That gives more credibility to being able to survive with broken limbs, and still move. Instead of med packs they should be nano epoxy or some general hight tech fix-it solution to fix your automated limbs.

beastrn
9th Jun 2010, 15:22
"Limb specific damage? Too complex for Billy Halo of Duty. Cut it!"

Ashpolt
9th Jun 2010, 15:23
Firstly, talk for yourself. I don't accept health regen, I think it's an unecessarily simple gameplay mechanic that's being presented in this case as a solution to a problem that actually never existed in the first place.

Secondly, I agree limb damage was great and I would love to see it back, but sadly the PC Gamer preview has confirmed that it's no longer in there.

Malah
9th Jun 2010, 15:23
http://i50.tinypic.com/2e2m6c7.jpg

ArcR
9th Jun 2010, 15:24
I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise between health regen and limb loss...

Get shot in the leg... no keyboard
Get shot in the arm.. no mouse

You may want to fine tune your system IE shot in the left leg no "D" or "Right arrow" key but now you have the basic framework. :P

beastrn
9th Jun 2010, 15:27
Just knowing that there's health regeneration in this game already tells you it's going to be;

run to the objective marker

set piece fights instead of open world

pretty much Bioshock (horrible game - great style and things, but as a game - disgustingly dumbed down)

game.

Do not want.

ArcR
9th Jun 2010, 15:36
I think I've come up with a reasonable compromise between health regen and limb loss...

Get shot in the arm.. no mouse

You may want to fine tune your system IE shot in the left leg no "D" or "Right arrow" key but now you have the basic framework. :P

Blade_hunter
9th Jun 2010, 15:38
Firstly, talk for yourself. I don't accept health regen, I think it's an unecessarily simple gameplay mechanic that's being presented in this case as a solution to a problem that actually never existed in the first place.

Secondly, I agree limb damage was great and I would love to see it back, but sadly the PC Gamer preview has confirmed that it's no longer in there.

But is there an health bar ? because it sounds to not have it

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 15:53
I could possibly accept HRegeneration, if we had localized damage model and it started regenerating only after the battle and the battles were long and enemies would try to snuff you out with flanking and grenades.

killfish
9th Jun 2010, 17:19
Well Adam is technically the mech-augmented type , so he will have some none-flesh body parts. The damages inflicted on the none flesh parts wouldnt be exactly be fair compared to the damages done on the flesh part of his body. As if it would take a rocket laucher to tear up his arms but only a few bullets to damage the body. Would seem pretty weird if such a system was implemented. Hell of a confusion too, specially if you can customise the mechanical augs.

Guess he wont be able to swim either :/

Shralla
9th Jun 2010, 18:25
health regen makes sense. It keeps you from scrounging the level for food or sitting at a water fountain getting one HP.

People keep using words like "scrounge" and I don't in any way see where they're coming from. Whenever I play Deus Ex, I explore probably 80% of each area, and that yields OODLES of medkits. I mean seriously. Literally the only way I can see to run out of medkits and be stuck and an impasse is if you both suck terribly at the combat, and also don't deviate at all from the A---->B storyline path.

JackShandy
10th Jun 2010, 02:33
Here's a personal story about health in Deus Ex.

I once convinced a friend of mine to play Deus ex. He got through the first few levels, before finding himself stuck at the NSF generator- in his only usable save, he had two broken legs. Frustrated, he gave up on the game.

A while later, I came over to his house- and between us, with my help, we managed to crawl through the sewers, hack into the terminal right under the soldiers noses, and blow up the generator and head for the roof- all with both legs broken. It was one of the most memorable moments I've ever had with the game.

So, for an experienced player, even having the medpack system back you into a corner like that is just fine. But my newcomer friend was prepared to throw the game away and never come back.

...I'm not sure whether the story supports health regen or not.

FrankCSIS
10th Jun 2010, 02:59
in his only usable save, he had two broken legs.

In the eternal words of Sierra, "save early, save often"

That friend, he's a prime example of perseverence. Earned his place in history, as the man who threw a fit at the first sign of challenge.

ShadowXOR
10th Jun 2010, 03:05
Here's a personal story about health in Deus Ex.

I once convinced a friend of mine to play Deus ex. He got through the first few levels, before finding himself stuck at the NSF generator- in his only usable save, he had two broken legs. Frustrated, he gave up on the game.

A while later, I came over to his house- and between us, with my help, we managed to crawl through the sewers, hack into the terminal right under the soldiers noses, and blow up the generator and head for the roof- all with both legs broken. It was one of the most memorable moments I've ever had with the game.

So, for an experienced player, even having the medpack system back you into a corner like that is just fine. But my newcomer friend was prepared to throw the game away and never come back.

...I'm not sure whether the story supports health regen or not.
It supports both. And whenever my legs broke I always had medkits and instantly healed them. Limb damage is cool but one of the less important features for people to cry about not sure why it's getting so much attention.

Jerion
10th Jun 2010, 03:46
Limb damage is cool but one of the less important features for people to cry about not sure why it's getting so much attention.

Welcome to fandom, where every little change requires a 3,000 word essay of protest! :D

Shralla
10th Jun 2010, 05:16
I disagree. Limb damage is an interesting concept that practically doesn't exist outside of Fallout anymore. Getting too much damage on pretty much any part of your body adversely affected gameplay somehow. It was awesome.

IOOI
10th Jun 2010, 05:53
^^ And it worked very well in First-Person because it affected the characters movements thus giving you an experience that players can't get when playing in Third-Person.

LordLeckie
10th Jun 2010, 06:01
For me in Deus Ex limb damage was a non issue, any difficulty above normal meant that i was either instakilled via a headshot or extensive torso damage, for me having my legs or arms broken never ever happened. It just doesnt seem all that important when most things that will damamge your arms and legs will probably just gib you outright in the first place.

ShadowXOR
10th Jun 2010, 06:43
I played Fallout 3 for 60+ hours and never noticed any limb damage. I know it was there but it made 0 impact on the gameplay. All I can say is: Cry more.

Shralla
10th Jun 2010, 07:41
I played Fallout 3 for 60+ hours and never noticed any limb damage. I know it was there but it made 0 impact on the gameplay.

To be completely blunt: You're wrong as ****.

Movement speed and aiming ability were both adversely affected by suffering too much damage on an individual limb.

ZakKa89
10th Jun 2010, 08:13
To be completely blunt: You're wrong as ****.

Movement speed and aiming ability were both adversely affected by suffering too much damage on an individual limb.

This is true.

beastrn
10th Jun 2010, 08:57
Welcome to fandom, where every little change requires a 3,000 word essay of protest! :D

It's not "fandom". It's just wanting GOOD features (that are 95% of the time complex features that everyone knows will be cut for the new console audience) to be reimagined in a way that compliments what made deus ex (and other older games) so good in the first place.

Something tells me the mods around here would be happy with a modern version of IW...:mad2:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2010, 09:09
Something tells me the mods around here would be happy with a modern version of IW...:mad2:
Say what? :) The Omar rocked! :cool:

Anyway, back to reality. I'd be happy for DX:HR to be a very good game. End of.

PS. Go edit the rest of your post and remove that name-call please. Thanks.

beastrn
10th Jun 2010, 09:13
Sure :)

Here's the edited version again for your convenience;

"It's not "fandom". It's just wanting GOOD features (that are 95% of the time complex features that everyone knows will be cut for the new console audience) to be reimagined in a way that compliments what made deus ex (and other older games) so good in the first place.

Something tells me the mods around here would be happy with a modern version of IW...:mad2:"

I knew you'd say that, too. Nearly word for word. I was thinking of a way I could put a timed sentence in my post so after you posted it would unlock and you could see you played right into my hand.

"As long as it's good I'll be happy."

That thinking pretty much shows why any DX1 player will hate HR.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jun 2010, 09:14
Something tells me the mods around here would be happy with a modern version of IW...:mad2:"

I already answered that. :p

PS. Thanks for making the edit. :)

EDIT: (to answer your later edit)

I knew you'd say that, too. Nearly word for word. I was thinking of a way I could put a timed sentence in my post so after you posted it would unlock and you could see you played right into my hand.

"As long as it's good I'll be happy."

That thinking pretty much shows why any DX1 player will hate HR.

Firstly, if you're going to quote me, quote me correctly. I said: "I'd be happy for DX:HR to be a very good game."
Note the 'very' which elevates to above average status, as opposed to just 'good'.

Secondly, my thinking doesn't show why any DX1 player will hate HR (in this game). I've played games with and without HR, and using different management systems, and some of the games I've enjoyed playing, and some of them not at all.

maikaal
10th Jun 2010, 09:21
Let's make it clear people: noone ever scrounged for med packs in Deus Ex. Those who did it were either retards or noobs. So, please, stop protecting health regen with these idiotic talks about sweeping levels for med packs!

68_pie
10th Jun 2010, 09:38
^
this

beastrn
10th Jun 2010, 09:40
^
^
truth

Blade_hunter
10th Jun 2010, 09:52
I suggest people to play SWAT 4 GOLD this game have lot of things that DX 3 needs

Also regenerating health if it's pure resourceless system (consider that it doesn't have any resource to complete it)
Kills the whole purpose of a limb system, since there is practically no consequence when we are penalized, plus second their objectives in therms of health system is to make a frustrating less health system, so a noob friendly system.

IOOI
10th Jun 2010, 14:27
Well Adam is technically the mech-augmented type , so he will have some none-flesh body parts.
Guess he wont be able to swim either :/

I can see it already: JC and AJ confronting eachother. JC would easily win.
He would just need to carefully lead Adam to a river's edge and JC would kick him while screaming "THIS IS DEUS EX!!!"

Pinky_Powers
10th Jun 2010, 14:32
Or JC would use the killphrase "Icarus' Ballox". And Adam would esplode!

Irate_Iguana
10th Jun 2010, 14:36
Or JC would use the killphrase "Icarus' Ballox". And Adam would esplode!

JC would be limited to the killphrases "Threaten", "Sarcastic", "Joke" and "Inquisitive".

Neveos
10th Jun 2010, 15:08

Get shot in the arm.. no mouseHahaha, just wanted to say I thought this was funny.

El_Bel
10th Jun 2010, 15:22
I would really like to see someone who can win against a fully augmented JC. Bladed weapons and bullets are useless, with 95% protection even Dragons Tooth cant take more then 7 damage. Energy protection protects him from even the powerfull plasma rifle. Aggressive defensive system protects him from rockets and bombs and the noob who uses it against him, will pay, when his rocket explodes in his face. Health regeneration augmentation is not necessary, but if we put that in, JC is really invulnerable.

Pinky_Powers
10th Jun 2010, 16:29
JC would be limited to the killphrases "Threaten", "Sarcastic", "Joke" and "Inquisitive".

From the Eurogamer article, it sounds like the Emotion System is used for the vocal combat, but there was a vague hint of more to the way your character wound interact in conversation. We'll have to wait and see.