PDA

View Full Version : Story/Conspiracy Speculation Superthread

Sabretooth1
9th Jun 2010, 10:43
What we know:

- The head of Sarif (we'll call him Sarifdude) will be Adam's mission-giver in the early part of the game, something like Manderley. His stance is strongly pro-augmentation and he seemingly dreams that augmented humans are the future of mankind.

- A mysterious enemy that hides and fights via proxy soldiers has something that belongs to Sarifdude. This almost certainly means the Illuminati, but then maybe they're playing us, since the Illuminati is what would be obvious in this case.

- Mysterious enemy appears to oppose human augmentation. This would fit the Illuminati's description, as a world full of augmented humans would be difficult to control, and the Illuminati's primary objective is always to maintain status quo.

- Barrett is antagonistic to Adam and apparently works for the people who have whatever it is that Sarifdude and Adam want. Since the Illuminati wouldn't consider it wise to get an augmented agent working for what is an anti-augmentation organisation, Barrett most likely works for a company or organisation that is a front for the Illuminati.

- Adam had a sister/girlfriend who worked at Sarif as a (presumably) scientist. We do not know if she is kidnapped (and part of what Sarifdude wants), or if she was killed during the attack.

- What were the objectives of the attack on Sarif? It would seem that the attackers needed something from Sarif Industries, which is crucial to Sarif's research since depriving them of it would hamper their drive for cyborgification of the human race.

- Whatever it is, it is retrievable and Adam is out to find it.

- Is the drive to nano-augmentation a theme present in the latter half of the game? What if Sarif was pioneering the technology to nano-augmentation? The Illuminati would certainly like to get their hands on such technology. Around the same time, they break off into a splinter cell called the MJ12, who found the UNATCO (which we know will happen in the game).

- Eliza is somehow involved in this. It's safest to assume that Eliza is an AI, since that appears to be the clues so far. While appearing to be an intelligent-looking news bot, she probably has a far more sophisticated frame beneath her. More accurately, I believe that she may be something of a big brother bot for the Illuminati - a way to collate information from the Net, but in plain sight. Perhaps she is the precursor to Morpheus, even?

- We know that Shanghai is a hotbed of augmentation technology and that Adam visits it. Why does he do this? Most likely the materials stolen from Sarif went to a rival corporation based in Shanghai? Corporate espionage and sabotage doesn't sound very far-fetched for Deus Ex. This corporation can conveniently be a front for the Illuminati, and maybe even... *drum roll* VersaLife! We know that VersaLife dabbled in nano-augmentation technology.

- Adam is seen fighting at the Shanghai docks. This fits in - Adam might be tasked to intercept a shipment for the above company.

- The riot instigated in Detroit may also be the work of the Illuminati, and Sarifdude most likely knows this too.

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 10:50
- What were the objectives of the attack on Sarif? It would seem that the attackers needed something from Sarif Industries, which is crucial to Sarif's research since depriving them of it would hamper their drive for cyborgification of the human race.

Well if they wanted something stolen, they could do it with espionage, no need for a massacre. I think it was about sabotage. Maybe Sarif was close at producing something? Of course stealing is also on the picture.

I agree with everything else.

Badmaker
9th Jun 2010, 10:55
-In the trailer, we can see that Adam looks at his robotic hands and say: I never asked for this.
I one way or another, he doesnt like the augmentation idea.
I think that later in the game, he joines the an anti-augmentation organization and Barret, ofc, works for Sarif IMO.

PerfectTear
9th Jun 2010, 10:58
Just wondeirng, does MJ12 alredy exist in DE3 at start, or is it formed later like UNATCO?
If i remember corectly MJ12 is formed when the Knights are defeated and they steal their gold or something.

Badmaker
9th Jun 2010, 11:01
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_12

Official sources say that they are formed in 1947 :)

Dead-Eye
9th Jun 2010, 11:01
The game will end with an epic battle between Adam and Barret on the statue of liberty. (We all know it was MJ12 that bombed the statue and formed UNATCO right?)

Badmaker
9th Jun 2010, 11:02
@Dead-Eye, OMFG dont spoil the game lol.
Whats the point of watching the movie if u know how it will end ?

PerfectTear
9th Jun 2010, 11:08
The game will end with an epic battle between Adam and Barret on the statue of liberty.
Could be, since at that time UNATCO is formed. It says in the DE1 intro that Unatco was formed after the "terorist atack" on the statue of liberty, if i heard that right.

Do you think that the knights will have any significant role in DE3? I remember that the Unatco boss has the pasword knight killer on his comp ( always wondered why), and that the MJ12 has goten all that gold in DE1 by defeating the knights?

Sabretooth1
9th Jun 2010, 11:50
Just wondeirng, does MJ12 alredy exist in DE3 at start, or is it formed later like UNATCO?
If i remember corectly MJ12 is formed when the Knights are defeated and they steal their gold or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_12

Official sources say that they are formed in 1947 :)

As far as I know, the MJ12 in Deus Ex is not the same as the real-life MJ12. In Deus Ex, the MJ12 was formed by Bob Page to rebel against the Illuminati's conservative policies. MJ12 was a more radical idea of creating a world government governed by Page, using a fusion of nano-technology and highly advanced AI.

However, we know that the characters of Deus Ex won't appearing in major roles for this game, so Page is out of the picture.

The Deus Ex wiki (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic-12) has a more detailed history of this, but it doesn't list any sources. Much of it sounds a little bogus.

Irate_Iguana
9th Jun 2010, 11:56
Copypasta-ing myself from another thread;

We know of a few factions that are still in the game at this point. The Knights Templar still exist and are a subgroup of the Illuminati. The same goes for Majestic 12. The Illuminati still wield considerable power instead of being forced into the shadows. I'm not entirely convinced that the Illuminati will operate as a single entity at this point in the timeline. We know that they will start to decline, that the Knights Templar and MJ-12 will separate from the main group and that their power will diminish. We also know that this game portrays the events that will lead to the formation of UNATCO.

My guess is that you are going to see quite a few factions within the Illuminati. Both pro- and anti-augmentation. Probably a side-group or three trying to get a piece of the Illuminati pie. They have fallen from power in DX and it hasn't been explained why. All we know is Bob Page taking MJ-12 and running, Manderley exterminating the Knights Templar and UNATCO secretly being formed by MJ-12. Those events would still leave the Illuminati with considerable resources. There has to be an additional reason why they fall.

PerfectTear
9th Jun 2010, 12:00
So which factions do you think will exist and we will be able to see in DE3?

(UNATCO, NSF, Silhouette)- probaly don't exist yet at that time.
The only 2 that come to my mind are the Illuminati and their subgroup(bankers) the Knights templars.
And i'm not yet sure about the MJ12.

So apart from these 2 groups, and other gueses of which groups will be present in DE3?

Edit: I didn't see the post above mine , when i wrote this

Irate_Iguana
9th Jun 2010, 12:07
(UNATCO, NSF, Silhouette)- probaly don't exist yet at that time.

Don't know if Silhouette is already formed in HR. Even if they were they are nothing more than a very local problem. Definitely not active on the same scale as in DX. They are pretty much out of the running for this game.

Sabretooth1
9th Jun 2010, 15:31
Don't know if Silhouette is already formed in HR. Even if they were they are nothing more than a very local problem. Definitely not active on the same scale as in DX. They are pretty much out of the running for this game.

According to the "Know Your Enemy" entry on Silhouette from the first game, their "meme war" took place circa 2050. I'd assume their formation was sometime in the 2040s, because if they were formed before 2027, they've been a really ineffectual organisation. Besides, Chad and Nicolette looked fairly young - Silhouette was a young and radical revolutionary group around 2052, so I think we can safely rule them out from the game.

The NSF is also out as they were created in 2042.

The Templars have a good chance - the UNATCO entry says that they were destabilised in a UNATCO/Interpol raid in 2051, so they have been fairly active till then. The UNATCO entry describes them as mere bankers and extortionists controlling global wealth, and only being descendants of the "secret society" of the Templars. No reason to believe that. I think the Templars would go by a different name to hide their identity, though.

So as far as organisations go, we're pretty scarce.

It should be noted that Sarif may be a powerful faction in the game. In the trailer, Adam says that "Corporations have more power than governments", and Sarif is about as huge as a corporation gets. They sound like they're the Dow Chemical of their age, and even have specially employed pilots and aircraft (Faridah Malik).

I suppose EM will be coming up with new secret societies to keep the story in their own stride.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Jun 2010, 15:45
-In the trailer, we can see that Adam looks at his robotic hands and say: I never asked for this.
I one way or another, he doesnt like the augmentation idea.
I think that later in the game, he joines the an anti-augmentation organization and Barret, ofc, works for Sarif IMO.

Not too convinced he will join anti-aug factions. If anything, he owes his life to it:

Jensen nearly died in the attack. He survived only because someone found him, and performed an operation of mechanically augmenting him. The choice was not his own, he can't cope with it, and that's why he starts tracking the people responsible for the attack, and find out why they did it. - explains De Marle.

More details in this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109859

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 16:06
Could be, since at that time UNATCO is formed. It says in the DE1 intro that Unatco was formed after the "terorist atack" on the statue of liberty, if i heard that right.

Do you think that the knights will have any significant role in DE3? I remember that the Unatco boss has the pasword knight killer on his comp ( always wondered why), and that the MJ12 has goten all that gold in DE1 by defeating the knights?

Manderley destroyed the knights at 2051. Thats why his password is knight killer.

As far as I know, the MJ12 in Deus Ex is not the same as the real-life MJ12. In Deus Ex, the MJ12 was formed by Bob Page to rebel against the Illuminati's conservative policies. MJ12 was a more radical idea of creating a world government governed by Page, using a fusion of nano-technology and highly advanced AI.

However, we know that the characters of Deus Ex won't appearing in major roles for this game, so Page is out of the picture.

The Deus Ex wiki (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic-12) has a more detailed history of this, but it doesn't list any sources. Much of it sounds a little bogus.

MJ12 from Dx is the same as the one in real life. They rebelled from Illuminaty, at 2040's when Illuminaty did nothing for the non sponsored terrorism that killed off its members. Lots of illuminaty joined Bob Page in MJ12 because they thought that Illuminaty leadership was weak.

Secretly Bob Page still feared Everet because he was smarter then him.

Fluffis
9th Jun 2010, 17:09
Like I wrote in another thread, I think Adam will be, in some part, responsible for the rise to power of UNATCO and MJ12.

ChrisVCB
9th Jun 2010, 17:46
I thought in the first mission you get some info from Alex Jacobsen on the Statue of Liberty attack - which is blamed on Silhoutte. Ofc, that doesn't mean that Silhouette were responsible, but....that means the attack was sometime after they were formed (if i'm remembering correctly).

I think we'll see Illuminati, and thier breakaway subfactions - MJ12 and Templars. Illuminati is almost certainly confirmed, given the Pyramid/Eye symbol in the trailer. I personally think the plot will center around the split and downfall of the Illuminati, and the rise of MJ12.

I would also be suprised if we don't see some old faces - we already know from the PC gamer preview that there are some recurring characters (same voice actors). Now, there aren't many who'd be old enough. Most of these would be relatively young (20s), with a few slightly older; Beth Duclare, Morgan Everett, Bob Page, Tracer Tong, Lucius Debeers, Josef Manderly, maybe even Gunther and Anna (it'd be interesting to see them as young, yet-to-be-augmented agents), Stanton Dowd, or General Sam Carter.