PDA

View Full Version : Concerns Of A DX Fan...

Deus_Ex_Machina
9th Jun 2010, 07:37
I recently read an interview (http://www.nowgamer.com/features/724/deus-ex-3-qa?o=0#listing) with Jean-Francois Dugas from EM, and I was troubled by something I read.

"It is really important to us to respect the core values that made the original game outstanding but we also know that we need to bring new ideas to the table that will elevate the experience for old fans while adding new levels of excitement and surprises that will draw newcomers into the Deus Ex world." - Jean-Francois Dugas

This really bothers me because this sounds exactly like what Codemasters said prior to the release of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. I was, and still am, a MASSIVE fan of the original Operation Flashpoint: Coldwar Crisis. I was hyped beyond belief when a sequel was announced. The first thing about OFPDR that bothered me was when Codemasters changed the title from "Operation Flashpoint 2" to "Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising". The next thing that really bothered me is when Codemasters started saying things like "accessibility" and "expanding the audience". I'm starting to see startling similarities between OFPDR and DXHR.

I REALLY hope this isn't the case. However, I have been disappointed so many times in the past few years by devs ruining franchises I love. If EM ruins DX for me, I will SERIOUSLY consider giving up gaming because I'm so sick and tired of the deception and disappointment that follows.

One way or another, I guess we'll find out next week at E3. That is, if EM gives us some actual in-game footage. If they don't, that will only increase suspicion for me and every other DX fan.

Dead-Eye
9th Jun 2010, 08:27
I have feelings that fall along the same lines. I'm getting really tired of playing all these games that are too much like that last one I played. The fact that I am wasting my life playing these games is becoming more, and more apparent in these new games that are "appealing to the larger audience".

JackShandy
9th Jun 2010, 08:29
Every post on this forum could be called "Concerns of a Deus Ex fan".

I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement in itself- he's just saying that they have to do some new things, instead of completely ripping off Deus Ex level-by-level. There's a lot of stuff that has people worried, though. People are like that. Worriers.

I'm curious, what happened to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon rising? Was it dumbed down? I heard the original was insanely realistic.

II J0SePh X II
9th Jun 2010, 08:45
I was amped (bigger than hyped) for Red Dead Redemption. Turned out to be a bummer and I haven't played it since the second day I got it.

You win some you lose some! It's taught me a few valuable lessons about hype, gameplay announcements and all the things that happen in pre-release build-ups. I'm totally on the fence about this one.

Badmaker
9th Jun 2010, 08:59
They should not rip-off the DX1. If they do, they will make same mistake as Ubisoft with their Assassins Creed franchise. AC2 is just better engine + some aditional combat moves. Thats about all. Basicly. is the same game with different storyline (but a good storyline :))

Deus_Ex_Machina
9th Jun 2010, 09:04

I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement in itself- he's just saying that they have to do some new things, instead of completely ripping off Deus Ex level-by-level. There's a lot of stuff that has people worried, though. People are like that. Worriers.

I'm curious, what happened to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon rising? Was it dumbed down? I heard the original was insanely realistic.

The original Operation Flashpoint: Coldwar Crisis was so realistic that the US Department of Defense wanted it's own version for simulation training. Bohemia Interactive developed a version for the DoD called VBS1 (Virtual Battlespace Systems 1).

OFPDR, on the other hand, is a semi-realistic buggy/glitchy trainwreck on par with Two Worlds that was toned down for the Halo/COD crowd.

AlexJacobson
9th Jun 2010, 09:06
Dragon Rising had all the signs. I had bad feeling about it from the start. First Codemasters stole the name from original developers. How can you expect them to respect original game when they stole the name and ideas from original developers? Before release they didnt show much gameplay. Codemaster had not made a single FPS before. Have they ever made a great game?
I have good feeling about DX:HR so far. After E3 we should know more.

Dead-Eye
9th Jun 2010, 10:40
There's a lot of stuff that has people worried, though. People are like that. Worriers..

I was never worried and am never worried. Whatever happens happens.

Streakfury
9th Jun 2010, 10:54
I've got a feeling I'll like the game, whatever happens. Then again, I don't play as many games as most people here, so I've got far less experience with which to judge it when it finally does get released.

Daedalus CiarĂ¡n
9th Jun 2010, 11:38

Sounds like a potential book.

"Concerns of a Deus Ex Fan: An Inside Look At The Fans Of the Greatest Video Game Ever Made"

Ashpolt
9th Jun 2010, 11:58
^^ "Dr. Spector, or How I Learned to Stop Hoping For a Proper Deus Ex Sequel."

beastrn
9th Jun 2010, 12:50
The first two posts in this thread represent me completely.

Thank you, Xbox 360. :\