PDA

View Full Version : What is Deus Ex?

Freedom_of_Speech
9th Jun 2010, 02:50
Well I am new to the series, ive heard of it before but i had never taken the liberty to get a copy and play it. Basically I really would love to know what this game is about. Is it an FPS or is it Third person? What kinda of gameplay do you get from Deus, is it free roam or is it one line of story where you just pursue one goal? I just want to know a little bit of background before I really get into talking about the game and how i feel about it. If anyone can answer much appreciated.

ArcR
9th Jun 2010, 02:55
I'll bite...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_(video_game)

Ashpolt
9th Jun 2010, 09:04
^^ Agreed. It's ridiculously cheap on Steam, and will run on pretty much any PC currently available, so give it a go. The first level doesn't hold your hand, and the graphics and AI are very dated by today's standards, so it can be a bit hard to get into - but once you do, be prepared for one of the best gameplay experiences of your life. :)

As a tip: Before you start the game, you can allocate skill points. Your pistol skill is already at "trained", while the rest are at "untrained." Put pistol up to "advanced," and then spend the rest of the points however you want. Trust me, high pistol skill really helps early on, and is still useful later if you have any intentions of being slightly sneaky!

MaxxQ1
9th Jun 2010, 09:18
As a tip: Before you start the game, you can allocate skill points. Your pistol skill is already at "trained", while the rest are at "untrained." Put pistol up to "advanced," and then spend the rest of the points however you want. Trust me, high pistol skill really helps early on, and is still useful later if you have any intentions of being slightly sneaky!

Here's another tip (admittedly, it's a bit of an exploit - read, cheat): when prompted during character setup to allocate your skill points, don't. However, also *reduce* your pistol skill to "untrained" (since, as Ash says, the pistol skill is already set at "trained"). Once you appear on the docks, go into your skills menu - lo and behold! - your pistol skill is back up to "trained" *and* you have the extra points you took away from it beforehand to allocate elsewhere.

I know for sure this work on the GOTY edition (which is already patched, and is the version from Steam), because I do it every time I play. Of course, I have the original disc version of the GOTY, and not the Steam version, so this *may* not work, but I think it will.

Badmaker
9th Jun 2010, 09:37
Here's another tip (admittedly, it's a bit of an exploit - read, cheat): when prompted during character setup to allocate your skill points, don't. However, also *reduce* your pistol skill to "untrained" (since, as Ash says, the pistol skill is already set at "trained"). Once you appear on the docks, go into your skills menu - lo and behold! - your pistol skill is back up to "trained" *and* you have the extra points you took away from it beforehand to allocate elsewhere.

I always though i forgot to untrain the pistol skill :). Thanks for opening my eyes, have a cookie.

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 10:24
I would suggest that you install Deus Ex HDTP (High Def texture pack) and shifter mod before playing.

Deus Ex is a first person immersion simulation. The focus is on the story and your next goal, but it is a bit free roam. Usually you are on a hub and you can take lots of side missions/stories. Deus Ex lets you play the way you want to. Want to go in guns blazing? Go for it. Stealth? DX has excellent stealth. There are things that can help you. Hacking, so you dont have to worry about cameras and turrets. Lockpicking and electronics skills that let you conserve resources when you unlock a door, disable a camera. If you install Shifter mod, you will have to upgrade your demolition skill so you can gain access to the place you want to go from less guarded paths, that are filled with proximity bombs.

Also half the magic of the game is the story! The conversations are fantastic and there is consequences for your actons. Dont expect a Neverwinter nights, but it is there. For exapmle in the first mission if you choose to kill lots of people, some of the people think that you should not be so inhumane and kill all those people and some gun-ho's will congratulate you. I wouldnt want to spoil a surprise, but visit the womans bathroom at the first level in your HQ. Especially if you like conspiracy theories. First level of the game takes shots at Trilateral commission and modern governments and their relationship to big industries. The game has some good conversations about limited government and freedom. Multiple solutions, lets you play the way you want to.

I would tell you to read some of my gaming experiences from deus ex, but they are filled with spoilers, so just play the game and find out yourself.

Streakfury
9th Jun 2010, 10:59
For £2 on Amazon, it's worth buying and playing for yourself. I'd also recommend playing Invisible War too, although that's not as good as the original.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 11:25
For £2 on Amazon, it's worth buying and playing for yourself. I'd also recommend playing Invisible War too, although that's not as good as the original.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's still better to play it than not to play it.

xaduha
9th Jun 2010, 11:35
Here's useful page http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 12:30
Thank for the link man!

7h30n
9th Jun 2010, 12:42
And one warning. Although the game is from First Person perspective it is NOT First Person SHOOTER

You need skills, patience and tactics to be good at rambo-style combat (though later via Augmentations and Skills you can become true Rambo)

Fluffis
9th Jun 2010, 13:53
And one warning. Although the game is from First Person perspective it is NOT First Person SHOOTER

You need skills, patience and tactics to be good at rambo-style combat (though later via Augmentations and Skills you can become true Rambo)

^^^ This is very true.

If you try to go head-on, guns blazing, in the beginning... be prepared to use a lot of health packs.

Freedom_of_Speech
10th Jun 2010, 02:09
Woah, thanks for the links! Very helpful
:]
Looks like ill be using steam once again been about a year haha