PDA

View Full Version : Sarif and the Seraphim soldiers - The Illumiati connection

Sabo
8th Jun 2010, 20:46
I believe this is a very possible plot twist in the game.

Adam is a clone or at least made in a lab and got designed genes as the first trailer shows a baby and the words "what we are is but a steppingstone to what we may become". The name Adam suggests he is created by someone who want to play god, the illuminati. He is later trained in a secret military camp as he seem to be very skilled in fighting and knows a lot about weapons. One reason why they took away the weapon aim proficiency from the game also fits well because this character knows how to handle weapons from start. Adams memory of his real background is modified and now he believes he was given these arms because of an accident and recieved them by charity (which also make him even more servile) while he actually have been a test subject in the same building he now think he is working to protect.

Sarif is secretly run på Illuminati but pretends to be against them. The Sarif name can be related to the words Seraph/seraphim which is a hebrew name of a kind of archangel in the bible but also something else in the Deus Ex universe:
(This is an interesting qoute from a book you can find in the first DE game.)

"Righteous Angels: Perspectives on UNATCO
by Wendi White
Chapter II. The New Seraphim
As the giddiness that greeted the new millenium faded to grim apathy in the face
of the plague, famine, and the inevitable waves of national convulsions that
followed in their wake, the United Nations found itself increasingly outmoded
and unable to cope with the worldwide rise in terrorism. Tensions between the
affluent -- walled away within private enclaves -- and those less fortunate
escalated rapidly as basic medical care facilities collapsed under the weight of
each new outbreak. The very pervasiveness of the Net fractured communities into
smaller and smaller special-interest groups. And as local police grew
increasingly ineffectual and access to deadlier weaponry more commonplace,
conflicts spilled over national borders and onto the streets of major urban
cities.
The United Nations was forced to admit that their own military was both outmoded
and unequipped to deal with these threats, so a new organization was required --
UNATCO, an army of seraphim, divinely charged to mete out impartial justice with
burning wings and flaming swords..."

As the title name suggests a "new" Seraphim it means there was an old one.
That could mean Adam is the embryo of the future UNATCO soldiers. An early experiment.
He is the first seraphim/angel and this angel symbolism can be found a lot around Adam as you have seen in the trailer. Of course the developers are clever enough to distract us from the angel idea so we only focus on the Icaros myth.

But as JC was a very important metaphore for Jesus Christ in the first game the Adam name could very well mean "the first" and also the fall of man, as the Eidos has told us that the characters decision may have a great impact on the whole world. This idea will be exciting to explore.

What do you think?

Kodaemon
8th Jun 2010, 21:07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharif

Also of note: your pilot's name: Faridah ("unique", "precious") Malik (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik)

Sabo
8th Jun 2010, 21:26
Arabs in my Deus ex? o.O

I still think the name Sarif could connect to the technological angel-vision described in the book.

Hiver
8th Jun 2010, 22:26
Very nice theory. I wouldnt be surprised if it turns out largely right.

ArcR
8th Jun 2010, 22:42
We don't if will be involved before, during, or after the Illuminati MJ-12 schism.

sonicsidewinder
8th Jun 2010, 23:58
Wish i hadn't read this now. It seems so good it could be true. No point to play haha.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 00:33
I agree, that seems like a very grounded theory. Most of it, anyway. The connections in particular are hard to deny or ignore.

Fluffis
9th Jun 2010, 00:50
I think Adam may be instrumental in destroying the Knights Templar, setting the stage for MJ12 to make their move.

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 00:58
Rene said that the embryo from the first trailer was a metaphor, not a real person.

Knights templar were destroyed in the year 2051 by Manderley, according to Deus Ex bible.

AaronJ
9th Jun 2010, 02:21
I believe this is a very possible plot twist in the game.

Adam is a clone or at least made in a lab and got designed genes as the first trailer shows a baby and the words "what we are is but a steppingstone to what we may become". The name Adam suggests he is created by someone who want to play god, the illuminati. He is later trained in a secret military camp as he seem to be very skilled in fighting and knows a lot about weapons. One reason why they took away the weapon aim proficiency from the game also fits well because this character knows how to handle weapons from start. Adams memory of his real background is modified and now he believes he was given these arms because of an accident and recieved them by charity (which also make him even more servile) while he actually have been a test subject in the same building he now think he is working to protect.

Sarif is secretly run på Illuminati but pretends to be against them. The Sarif name can be related to the words Seraph/seraphim which is a hebrew name of a kind of archangel in the bible but also something else in the Deus Ex universe:
(This is an interesting qoute from a book you can find in the first DE game.)

"Righteous Angels: Perspectives on UNATCO
by Wendi White
Chapter II. The New Seraphim
As the giddiness that greeted the new millenium faded to grim apathy in the face
of the plague, famine, and the inevitable waves of national convulsions that
followed in their wake, the United Nations found itself increasingly outmoded
and unable to cope with the worldwide rise in terrorism. Tensions between the
affluent -- walled away within private enclaves -- and those less fortunate
escalated rapidly as basic medical care facilities collapsed under the weight of
each new outbreak. The very pervasiveness of the Net fractured communities into
smaller and smaller special-interest groups. And as local police grew
increasingly ineffectual and access to deadlier weaponry more commonplace,
conflicts spilled over national borders and onto the streets of major urban
cities.
The United Nations was forced to admit that their own military was both outmoded
and unequipped to deal with these threats, so a new organization was required --
UNATCO, an army of seraphim, divinely charged to mete out impartial justice with
burning wings and flaming swords..."

As the title name suggests a "new" Seraphim it means there was an old one.
That could mean Adam is the embryo of the future UNATCO soldiers. An early experiment.
He is the first seraphim/angel and this angel symbolism can be found a lot around Adam as you have seen in the trailer. Of course the developers are clever enough to distract us from the angel idea so we only focus on the Icaros myth.

But as JC was a very important metaphore for Jesus Christ in the first game the Adam name could very well mean "the first" and also the fall of man, as the Eidos has told us that the characters decision may have a great impact on the whole world. This idea will be exciting to explore.

What do you think?

The best post since the new trailer. Nice research, lets hope the devs are smart enough to make this connection.

Sabo
9th Jun 2010, 13:09
Eidos has said Adam has a rich backstory, they probably needed to do this to further anchor the player in the illusion. So Adam is made to believe he he got a real history with family,friends etc, and later got pushed/kicked out of a window in a murder attempt, that there was a slaughter of the scientists and the girl who screams, is probably a love interest, who is either kidnapped or killed. These events and the fact that he failed to protect the company but was yet trusted and given another top mission fuels his motivation to stay faithful to Sarif and it also fuels his hate and disgust for this other group who is supposed to have done all these things.
He is now a the perfect dog unleashed to find the enemies of the Illuminati and the Sarif interests.
"They can't stop the future"
- means he is sent after a shady but powerful group of conservatives or luddites, who are against augmentations, a.k.a this new dawn of humanity.

Luddites are often portrayed as a weaker enemies of transhumanism in cyberpunk. Like these poeple in the crowd who get slaughtered by the police.
But this game could add something new and they could also be some rather powerful factions at least rich guys who are protected by soldiers since they know the threat and connections of the Illuminati.

I do not think the illuminati need to hide, since they are everywhere.
Anyone could belong to them.
Only the real enemies of the Illuminati should need to hide out.
This also confirms something the developers has said, it is going to be hard to know who to trust.

It will be interesting later when Adam finds out that the Illuminati he has been searching for has always been around him. The moment where he shows his stubborn nature and says "I'll never stop lookin" could be at a point later in game when he has find found out about himself and is now looking for the boss of Sarif who might have disappeared and his Illuminati companions.

The trailer gives this feeling that he also seems to have a personal vendetta against those he wants to find. This is mirrored in the end whe he makes a brutal killing, when he is not even provoked by a soldier. Like whenever he sees one of these he wants to kill them. They are pure filth, that needs to be terminated for good.
Only rage coming from feelings of hate and revenge as well as polarizing mechanisms like I'm good, they are evil, triggered by the reptilian brain would fuel actions like that.
And again this also shows the characters true form as a formidable killing machine.

Maybe these more powerful luddites know about the Adam experiment and thats why they send soldiers to kill him, as seen in the first teaser trailer when they infiltrate his apartment.
This Adam seems to be a very important key character for the Illuminati and their enemies want him dead.

But these are just speculations and I know there are some flaws, so I still admit we really don't know what will happen in this game yet, we can only guess.

Damn Im really loking forward to E3. This game is now my nr 1 in my anticipation list.
Adam seem to be a very beauftifull sopfisticated strong and intelligent beast of a man and it's going to be fun to play as him.
DE:HR could very well be one of the best games ever.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 13:14
Sabo, you shall be our official Deus Ex researcher.

Here, have a trophy.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3909/650351-180px_crazy_cartoon_cheat_trophies_super.png

Sabo
9th Jun 2010, 20:32
Thanks Pinky, I hope you can turn that guy into a smiling one. ^^
I'm new to this forum and it's great that someone give me credit for my findings.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 20:36
I have a rather profound fame for being kind and generous with the n00bs.

hem dazon 90
9th Jun 2010, 21:05
you are an exellent cryptographer.

you win a night with the mod of your choice