PDA

View Full Version : How long are the take down animations?

booheads
8th Jun 2010, 06:05
If i play a melee only character will i always be having to watch these? What if enemies are firing at me while I can't control my character due to this takedown stuff. :scratch:

ShadowXOR
8th Jun 2010, 06:15
In reality when you do a takedown, you can get shot. Don't see how this would be any different. Are you supposed to be magically invincible? Teleport into an alternate dimension?

Also I think it's likely there is melee combat that includes standard hits, I don't think everything is a takedown, but I could be wrong.

Gaunt88
8th Jun 2010, 06:20
They'll probably take only a few seconds at most. Eidos aren't stupid, I'd say this aspect of combat is gonna go through a huge amount of playtesting before the game ships.

hem dazon 90
8th Jun 2010, 06:22
I doubt more then 2 seconds

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jun 2010, 06:34
They'll probably take only a few seconds at most. Eidos aren't stupid...

Makes perfect sense to me (both sentences).

68_pie
8th Jun 2010, 06:43
I wouldn't say that they are stupid...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jun 2010, 06:50
I wouldn't say that they are stupid...

Some people do. Now that is stupid. :D

Sabretooth1
8th Jun 2010, 07:03
I'm quite certain that each animation will be an elaborate struggle of life and death with dramatic dialogue lasting some 4 hours each.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jun 2010, 07:04
Better stock up on the popcorn then.

Kodaemon
8th Jun 2010, 07:06
Ah, but you can't eat the popcorn because your hands are busy with the QTE.

Irate_Iguana
8th Jun 2010, 07:18
In reality when you do a takedown, you can get shot. Don't see how this would be any different. Are you supposed to be magically invincible?

Generally these kinds of moves do make you invincible. The animation plays and during that time hit registration doesn't function properly. Remember the counter-attacks in AC? You were invincible during those as well.

Some people do. Now that is stupid. :D

Why? Until we know the specifics both opinions are equally valid.

I'm quite certain that each animation will be an elaborate struggle of life and death with dramatic dialogue lasting some 4 hours each.

Hideo Kojima is making this game?

booheads
8th Jun 2010, 14:40
In reality when you do a takedown, you can get shot. Don't see how this would be any different. Are you supposed to be magically invincible?

In reality, take downs aren't uncontrollable, if you got shot while trying to look fancy you'd drop what you're doing and run the hell away :hmm:

sigh...

sonicsidewinder
8th Jun 2010, 14:43
arn't the takedowns only to do with your augments? I dunno if this has been asked, but are there mele weapons u can hold in ur hands? Surely if there are, u cant do takedowns with those.

mad_red
8th Jun 2010, 14:48
Also, I hope the takedowns will fit in with Adam's personality. Grabbing a guys head and spinning him is just about as elaborate as I'd like him to get. I'd loathe to watch Adam doing all kinds of cool moves like he's some sadistic psychopath, when a quick and clean stab through the neck or somesuch will achieve the same results.

Or at least give some kind of control over the takedowns, so that if you do want to play a sadistic psycho, you can.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jun 2010, 14:51
Why? Until we know the specifics both opinions are equally valid.

I never said they weren't valid. I was adding my opinion.

Ah, but you can't eat the popcorn because your hands are busy with the QTE.

No hands needed. Just suck it up with a giant straw. :cool:

beastrn
8th Jun 2010, 18:03
That's some deep stuff, mad_red - stuff that's very likely to go over the heads of the developers for the sake of "DAT LOOKS FULLY SICK! WHAT A BADASS! THE PLAYER WILL FEEL SO BADASS! (even though he just pressed A)"

Ilves
8th Jun 2010, 18:51
Also, I hope the takedowns will fit in with Adam's personality. [...] I'd loathe to watch Adam doing all kinds of cool moves like he's some sadistic psychopath, when a quick and clean stab through the neck or somesuch will achieve the same results.

I've expressed the same concern earlier. I loathe how sadism has become an accepted form of mainstream entertainment. After hearing EM promise cool multikill aug galore I was worried HR would go down that same road. How gory the game will turn out remains to be seen, but strangely I found the violence in the trailer to be of the stylish variety.

Maybe I'm degenerating as well. :hmm:

dropthesky
8th Jun 2010, 19:25
I've expressed the same concern earlier. I loathe how sadism has become an accepted form of mainstream entertainment. After hearing EM promise cool multikill aug galore I was worried HR would go down that same road. How gory the game will turn out remains to be seen, but strangely I found the violence in the trailer to be of the stylish variety.

Maybe I'm degenerating as well. :hmm:

Probably, it looked like he crushed someones face with his split hand aug.

LyreOfNero
8th Jun 2010, 20:10
Either that or he broke his own hand.

Ilves
8th Jun 2010, 20:15
You mean where the poor chap has his head unscrewed? That is pretty gruesome.

Malah
8th Jun 2010, 20:18
But the titties! Show them and you will be crucified!

Sideboob from the sex simulator Mass Effect!

http://hostanyimage.com/files/40577167561694746245.jpg

Fluffis
8th Jun 2010, 21:12
I'd prefer no "takedowns" at all... it's the kind of thing developers add to distract gamers from weak plots and shoddy gameplay. " Hey, the story sucks, but check out this sweet move!"

Eabin
8th Jun 2010, 23:35
i didn't mind the no-kill takedown sequences in Alpha Protocol - although the game is already 3rd person. they are quick and there are really just 3 sequences. one punching the guy in the throat, which takes about 1 second, the second one kicking him in the stomach (about 2.5 seconds) and a third one strangling him from behind until he's unconscious (which would take about forever in reality but is only 2 seconds in the game). the sequence are realistic, not sadistic at all and fit the purpose quite well.

i don't know about the kill sequences, i didn't use them that often. i can only remember a "cutting the throat" sequence.

Angel/0A
9th Jun 2010, 01:09
If i play a melee only character will i always be having to watch these? What if enemies are firing at me while I can't control my character due to this takedown stuff. :scratch:

In reality when you do a takedown, you can get shot. Don't see how this would be any different. Are you supposed to be magically invincible? Teleport into an alternate dimension?

Generally these kinds of moves do make you invincible. The animation plays and during that time hit registration doesn't function properly. Remember the counter-attacks in AC? You were invincible during those as well.

This was kinda the idea behind my suggestion (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1411647#post1411647) in the 3rd-person thread. If they made it optional, where you could either go for the quick kill and be done with it, or choose to "show-off" and look awesome by going into an extended sequence where you are vulnerable. As I mentioned, this idea is based on from a multiplayer game (Halo: Reach) where you're dealing with other actual people, but what's wrong with being stylish in a single-player game?

Probably, it looked like he crushed someones face with his split hand aug.

When I saw that, it reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrJOF7jhgAQ).

Fluffis
9th Jun 2010, 01:14
but what's wrong with being stylish in a single-player game?

If it's not optional, it could get annoying as hell. Most of the time, things like this do. After seeing a couple, I just want to get on with playing the game, without having it disrupted by Stylish & Coolâ„¢.