PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Augmentation. Would you?

ChrisVCB
7th Jun 2010, 23:05
If you really had the option, would you get yourself augmented? I mean, you, yourself, not ingame.....and if so, how far would you go? An odd sneaky aug here and there? Or full on circus freak golem, Gunther style?

Personally, i'd be torn. The bad-assness of some augs would tempt me. Plus, me, I suffer from Myopia, so I could probably use some new eyes - so long as I get cool Adam Jensen style shades :cool: But on the other hand - changing a fundamental part of myself - I'm pretty happy with who I am, and i'm not sure i'd feel 'me' anymore - plus, it's not something you can really reverse once it's done.....

Seemed like a fun idea to discuss whilst we wait for more DX3 news :D

El_Bel
7th Jun 2010, 23:22
I will wait for nano-augmentation. Powers are good, but looking like a robot is not.

I would get some life extension augmentations no matter the cost though. And i am thinking about a titanium tooth now that one of mine is going to be taken out. On the other hand, i could wait for steam cell's to give me a new tooth.

ShadowXOR
7th Jun 2010, 23:24
I would be scared, but probably. Doubt I would go for robot parts though I would probably do nano. I would be pretty torn though.

Definitely eyes so I didn't have to wear contacts/glasses though.

El_Bel
7th Jun 2010, 23:27
You can get eyesight correction surgery people! Its cheap too!

I would like to augment mine, a zoom function would be kick ass! Oh and an infrared receiver, so i could watch woman naked without them knowing! But again, i wouldnt want my eyes to change. That's why i will wait for nano.

ShadowXOR
7th Jun 2010, 23:29

Unless you're rich you can hardly classify it as cheap...it's multiple grand.

Irate_Iguana
7th Jun 2010, 23:51

Pretty expensive if you want to have it done at a reputable clinic. Even then your eyes can still deteriorate. Not to mention you only have one pair.

sonicsidewinder
8th Jun 2010, 00:01
Well now u mention it...

Reinforced plating to my bone stucture. -
Allows my bones to be stonger while reinforcing my muscles in ways that are not humanely possible.

Sub Dermal mechanical implants
These release performance enhancing cocktails that give me strength, speed and a hearty supply of Birdseye Fish Finger's OMEGA 3 for better mental functions. Of course they will have to be topped up monthly through use of Hypodermic seringes.

Ocular HUD
Similar to Adam's glasses, cept they fully encase the eye. The rear of the implants can improve electical impulses of the eye's nerve for incredible eye focus, for short and long distance viewing. It also allows me to see important information about my health, sub systems, energy levels and whether or not i want Pizza or Pie for Dinner.

Arm housed PDA
This will basically count as a comunication device, watch and mini computer that is housed on the outer layer of my skin from the wrist to the middle of the forearm. (On the left arm, as i am right handed - it will be easier to use.)

CODEC
This will be linked to the PDA. If i recieve a call, the Codec will beep and the PDA will vibrate my arm. All i need to do is Push the Select button..on the PDA. The CODEC's reciever directly stimulates the small bones of my ear. No one but me will be able to hear it.
This also acts as built in headphones. I can listen to all my MP5 songs(come on it's the future)

Integrated Flash or HardDrive
This will be placed in the skull. It will also have built in functionality with the Arm PDA and Ocular HUD. Information can be entered through the PDA, be stored in the HDD, and be viewed through the HUD. The HUD can also Print Screen... I mean, The HUD can also capture photogenics and store them in the HDD.

That's just a few :cool: haha.

Romeo
8th Jun 2010, 00:03
I would, without a second thought. Hell, I'm already hooked up to an insulin pump, and that just brings me up to normal human level. A few more bits and parts to exceed that? Hell yes I would.

I should note though, I'd treat myself the same way I treat my cars: Wait for the stock part to fail, then replace it with something better.

BlazeL
8th Jun 2010, 00:17
I guess no. I would augment my eyes only to correct my myopia, but i wouldn't replace or modify them cause you know, "eyes are the mirror of the soul" and all that.

In fact, i can get everything i need in form of gadgets (glasses, night vision goggles, binoculars, kevlar suits, helmets, jump stilts, hammers, portable phones and computers, etc.) and i don't want to implant them into my body. Of course if i would be some spec-op guy who needs all of these in the same time, i would go for it, but (un)fortunately that's far from me.

Blade_hunter
8th Jun 2010, 00:22
He he I would wear an exoskeleton :) no surgery needed and I can have plenty of gadgets with

FrankCSIS
8th Jun 2010, 00:23
My main concern with augs is they are likely to evolve at the same rate any other gadgets do, once they become democratised and a full-grown market. Imagine the pain of having to change your augs every four months, the way we change cell phones today. Even every two or three years, like a computer, would be ridiculous.

And honnestly, if I were to invest in an aug, I'd be pretty annoyed if only a few years later I was to have some ridiculously low-tech stuff implented in me. So I'm with Blaze on this one, so far I'll go for external tech, suits and attachable prosthetics.

FreedomForever
8th Jun 2010, 00:51
I think I would if they were free and were actually tested to not have many sideffects.

Ill prefer nano though.

Just imagine the potential you will have because of them. It will be amazing.

hem dazon 90
8th Jun 2010, 02:05
hell yeah son.

Gizmostuff
8th Jun 2010, 02:23
Unless you're rich you can hardly classify it as cheap...it's multiple grand.

About 4k with insurance. And I'm far from rich.

Pretty expensive if you want to have it done at a reputable clinic. Even then your eyes can still deteriorate. Not to mention you only have one pair.

The good thing with a reputable clinic is they will do it again if you need it done later in life for free. You gotta spend the dough for it up front first though. You get what you pay for.

My main concern with augs is they are likely to evolve at the same rate any other gadgets do, once they become democratised and a full-grown market. Imagine the pain of having to change your augs every four months, the way we change cell phones today. Even every two or three years, like a computer, would be ridiculous.

We're at the point where new cpus are out every 6 to 9 months. 6 cores for 200 bucks. I never would have thought I'd see the day. I usually upgrade my computer yearly. Phone every 2. As for augs being changed every 2 to three years I don't see that happening. Think of an augmentation like a drug. You put it in your body. And you damn well expect it to work the way it's supposed to. Drugs are tested for years on end before you ever see them out on the market. I think it would be the same for an augmentation. And expect it to cost a pretty penny; even if they are accepted into our culture. And that's a big if.

Considering I've already been though the eye augmentation, I'd do it again. Especially if I can get better than 20/20. As for an appendage, eh, no thanks. Not unless I loose one in an accident or something.

demon boy
8th Jun 2010, 03:34
Nothing as obvious as Adam's prosthetic arms but yeah, I'd be interested. I have perfect distance vision but color blindness so I would want synthetic eyes. I'd tell them to throw in night-vision and thermal while they're at it.

As for improving my physical abilities; I'd probably want to go with nanotech on that front.

LyreOfNero
8th Jun 2010, 05:08
Memory enhancement, increased reflexes, and possibly communications for me. I'm a stage actor so those would be most useful to me, but I can't take anything too disfiguring. It'd ruin my chances for a stable career (as much as there is one in the theatre).

II J0SePh X II
8th Jun 2010, 05:45
I already have a titanium plate in my forearm after going over the handlebars of my bike and breaking my arm along the dorsal plane, add to that a hardened boxer fracture in my hand and I have a very mean right.

I'm also undergoing treatment at the end of the month to bridge all the remaining molars with pins and bridges top and bottom on both sides of my mouth. I have a three pin bridge where my front four teeth should be.

I'd be interested in anything that would extend life.

Kodaemon
8th Jun 2010, 06:23
I will wait for nano-augmentation. Powers are good, but looking like a robot is not.

As a proud member of the last.fm group people who are robots I take personal offense at that last statement.

Sotsiak
8th Jun 2010, 08:23
Nice choices there, too bad you will take them after they dug you in the grave.

I would probably augment my dick, so I can have indefinite orgasms.
Augmeted eyes would be nice too, something like El bel's so I can see women naked.
And a bigger tongue so i can lick bigger ice-creams and lolipops.

Kodaemon
8th Jun 2010, 08:26
About those orgasms... thought about augmenting your brain instead?

Sotsiak
8th Jun 2010, 08:29
About those orgasms... thought about augmenting your brain instead?

I am not much into books... err science..

MaxxQ1
8th Jun 2010, 08:47
I usually upgrade my computer yearly. Phone every 2.

I upgrade my comp every two years (this coming tax return - the one I'll get in 2011 - will be going towards that), and the last time I spent $1400.

I'm still using the same cell phone I bought over 6 years ago. If it ain't broke (the phone), don't replace it. I don't text, I have a pefectly acceptable camera and mp3 player, and I never go anywhere except work or to visit my kids, so if I want to get online to check my email or do whatever, I just get on my computer.

Hiver
8th Jun 2010, 09:48
I would definitely go for a titanium alloy spine first and foremost. Something like a nice casing around my own creaky one.
My eyes are fine so a pair of shades that would work as a virtual overlay with all the info i need would be nice too.

xParoxysm
8th Jun 2010, 09:54
I would definitely go for a titanium alloy spine first and foremost. Something like a nice casing around my own creaky one.
My eyes are fine so a pair of shades that would work as a virtual overlay with all the info i need would be nice too.

Like a power scanner? XD

I totally would go the whole hog and get a Gunther-esque upgrade. In fact, I'd just get as much cool **** as I could. With an imposing figure like Gunther's, I'd walk into maths and beat the f**k outta the class dicks I have to endure.

Decay
8th Jun 2010, 11:02
Deus Ex gives a vision of mechanical augmenting the body, but I believe it's only a substitution of stem cells. Once we finaly manage to unblock these, idea of mechanical augmenting the lost limbs should be forgotten, or at least definitely not as popular as it is now (well, in close future i believe and presently in game :) ). What is good about augmenting - people can merge with some crucial mechanisms like f.e. microcomputers, flashbacks etc, as well as install some augs, but not for the price of losing limgs, for instance modified sight or hearing. In my opinion stem cells, when they are finally availble, will be not only more safe and cheap but also more preferable by customers, as also "moral" issues are important to some. Let's just hope that physician's lobby won't boycot stem cells :nut:. Augmenting gives a chance of being stronger, faster, and more resist on attacks, but the price is steep - you not only lose some parts of the body, but also have to repair and pay a lot of intention on your new limbs. I also suppose that some activities may be forbidden like swimming, as augs are to heavy and you can drown, or just water damages them. If we decide to replace legs, than it is even worse. People have already found out that such big augs must be always charged with a different source of energy, and heart is not enough here. Maybe that box on Barret's back is such battery. So a normal leaving is definitely more difficult, than even without them! But on the contrary to these facts, I am pro some small augs like eye sight etc - they are small enough that dont bother us in leaving but also as significant that boost us. So all in sum, I wouldn't aug myself heavily like Adam or Gunther (or Barett). Instead I would wait for stem cells. And btw. have you seen Gamer? Movie with Gerard Butler and Michael C. Hall? Ken Castle, main bad character was heavily augmented but... Nano! This guy was able to control telepathically others who had their normal cells replaced with special obedient to that guy's cells.

Gizmostuff
9th Jun 2010, 01:17
I upgrade my comp every two years (this coming tax return - the one I'll get in 2011 - will be going towards that), and the last time I spent $1400.

I'm still using the same cell phone I bought over 6 years ago. If it ain't broke (the phone), don't replace it. I don't text, I have a pefectly acceptable camera and mp3 player, and I never go anywhere except work or to visit my kids, so if I want to get online to check my email or do whatever, I just get on my computer.

Yikes! I really couldn't see myself with my old Moto Razor phone. I love my new Incredible. I get money back every year through taxes as well, plus my company bonus checks help me upgrade my computer. Thinking of doing an entirely new build pretty soon.

I'd take the skul-gun aug just like everyone else.

El_Bel
9th Jun 2010, 01:23
Deus Ex gives a vision of mechanical augmenting the body, but I believe it's only a substitution of stem cells. Once we finaly manage to unblock these, idea of mechanical augmenting the lost limbs should be forgotten, or at least definitely not as popular as it is now (well, in close future i believe and presently in game :) ). What is good about augmenting - people can merge with some crucial mechanisms like f.e. microcomputers, flashbacks etc, as well as install some augs, but not for the price of losing limgs, for instance modified sight or hearing. In my opinion stem cells, when they are finally availble, will be not only more safe and cheap but also more preferable by customers, as also "moral" issues are important to some. Let's just hope that physician's lobby won't boycot stem cells :nut:. Augmenting gives a chance of being stronger, faster, and more resist on attacks, but the price is steep - you not only lose some parts of the body, but also have to repair and pay a lot of intention on your new limbs. I also suppose that some activities may be forbidden like swimming, as augs are to heavy and you can drown, or just water damages them. If we decide to replace legs, than it is even worse. People have already found out that such big augs must be always charged with a different source of energy, and heart is not enough here. Maybe that box on Barret's back is such battery. So a normal leaving is definitely more difficult, than even without them! But on the contrary to these facts, I am pro some small augs like eye sight etc - they are small enough that dont bother us in leaving but also as significant that boost us. So all in sum, I wouldn't aug myself heavily like Adam or Gunther (or Barett). Instead I would wait for stem cells. And btw. have you seen Gamer? Movie with Gerard Butler and Michael C. Hall? Ken Castle, main bad character was heavily augmented but... Nano! This guy was able to control telepathically others who had their normal cells replaced with special obedient to that guy's cells.

My thoughts exactly! I would augment my body, but i will not destroy it in the process! Stem Cells and NANOMACHINES are the future i think.

Fluffis
9th Jun 2010, 01:28
Honestly, the only thing I would like to integrate into my own life from Deus Ex: Quicksave/-load.

Spyhopping
9th Jun 2010, 01:31
Hell yes, I would be a stonking transhumanist if I was born in the right era for it. Assuming there is a way around... things, I'd get my legs augged for speed, and perhaps some visual enhancements to get rid of my short sightedness and annoying lack of night and telescopic vision. I'd think twice about my arms cause they are pretty damn good as they are, and I could carry a blade or something on my person if I really needed to.

MaxxQ1
9th Jun 2010, 08:56
Yikes! I really couldn't see myself with my old Moto Razor phone. I love my new Incredible. I get money back every year through taxes as well, plus my company bonus checks help me upgrade my computer. Thinking of doing an entirely new build pretty soon.

I'd take the skul-gun aug just like everyone else.

Well, like I said, I have no need for all the gee-whiz pretty-pretties, and the phone still works just as well as the day I bought it. I'm not stuck with a contract, since it's a pay-as-you-go-type phone (Virgin Mobile), and I usually have to add $20 to it every three months or it gets disconnected. That's how little I use the phone - it more or less works out to about $7/month, unless I make or recieve a lot of calls, which isn't often.

I also hate the idea of Bluetooth. It's so annoying when you think someone is talking to you, and then you realize that they're on the damn phone. When I was a security guard, at one of my posts, a customer was talking to someone on their BT, swearing up a storm. I asked him to take it outside, and he got all in my face about "listening to his private conversation." I told him the whole damn world could hear his side of this "private conversation, and we didn't *want* to hear it.

Shut him up.

Decay
9th Jun 2010, 21:37
My thoughts exactly! I would augment my body, but i will not destroy it in the process! Stem Cells and NANOMACHINES are the future i think. Your thoughts=my thoughts :-) Seriously i think that the Stem Cells are the future, not replacing limbs...

Carlton
10th Jun 2010, 01:19
idk. mechanical upgrades could be awkward in some situations lol. but they'd be cool. i guess i'd rather have more of a suit, so my body would still be completely organic, but i could have the powers.

AuspexAO
10th Jun 2010, 09:03
Hell yeah. I am one of those "body is just a shell" types. I'd go full cyborg like those dudes in Ghost in the Shell. Nano augs will probably be a lot less intrusive, but if someone told me that I could go out right now and get the ability to leap of a three story building and land without a scratch, take a bullet, or see through walls I would totally be in to it.

JimHefti
10th Jun 2010, 12:20

If it were cheap, I'd have it done. I hate glasses, and I can't even afford contacts right now, so Laser Surgery is out-of-range. As for other mechanical augs, right now I wouldn't really bother, as I'm just shy of 30. But as I get older, and stuff starts to deteriorate, hell yes. Why get old when you can get augmented?

MingusMajor
10th Jun 2010, 12:29
Most def. But I'd still keep my original limbs in stasis somewhere in case they came up with nanite-augs or whatever.

Slaughts208
10th Jun 2010, 12:42
If anything, it'd be either for my eyesight (I can't afford eye surgery, I can't even buy myself a 9 dollar steak right now) or for my feet because I'm flat-flooted and trying to jump from anything and landing hurts like hell :hmm:

Shralla
10th Jun 2010, 19:41
I'm going to be FIRST on the chopping block.

for my feet because I'm flat-flooted

THIS guy knows what's up. What's going on, fellow flat-footer? How flat are we talking here? My left isn't TOO bad but it's still way flatter than it should be, but my right foot literally contacts the floor with every single spot on my sole. The roll-in is so bad that when I get new shoes, it's not because my old ones are totally worn out, it's just the inside of my right foot that has no treat at all, while the outside still has almost all of it, making the roll-in about a MILLION TIMES WORSE AND IT MESSES UP MY ANKLE, KNEE, AND HIP.

Sucks.

Romeo
10th Jun 2010, 23:02

And honnestly, if I were to invest in an aug, I'd be pretty annoyed if only a few years later I was to have some ridiculously low-tech stuff implented in me. So I'm with Blaze on this one, so far I'll go for external tech, suits and attachable prosthetics.
Still, even if your augmentations become outdated in a few months, you're still above the human level. Does it matter that your 2GB of RAM will surpassed in a few months if your original PC only had 1GB? Is it not still preferable to have bicycle when your alternative is walking, even if you know there's a car waiting for you in the future? To hermit from technology under the philosophy that it will continue to evolve is silly. If you're always waiting for the next big thing to replace what's out, you never enter the market and reap what available.

Bevacur
13th Jun 2010, 11:27
New eyes (i hate being short-sighted) and maybe some new arms just like Adam Jenson. I don't care if it gets old as long my mechanical arms are nice and sleak, modern looking, multi-function and work fine without breaking down then i am happy.

Sushi...Scientist
13th Jun 2010, 14:51
Perhaps not this total machine looking prosthetics, but maybe one with lab grown tissue or artificial tissue cosmetic features.

Bevacur
13th Jun 2010, 14:54
If it were cheap, I'd have it done. I hate glasses, and I can't even afford contacts right now, so Laser Surgery is out-of-range. As for other mechanical augs, right now I wouldn't really bother, as I'm just shy of 30. But as I get older, and stuff starts to deteriorate, hell yes. Why get old when you can get augmented?

This. Augments might expand life expectancy! But my god...the amount it would cost. Just imagine the insurance on it if it breaks down.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Jun 2010, 15:09
When it comes to matters of physical ability, health and well-being - it is a choice many will willingly make and an opportunity they will happily take.

Dunecat
13th Jun 2010, 15:47
I would've been most interested in life-prolonging augmentations, but installing them only as bodyparts required "repair", unperformable by current medicine. Performent enchancing and otherwise "dangerous" augmentations might be limited for a civillian use, but I wouldn't mind serious leg enchancement [I always fancied idea of jumping like a giant frog] and a skull-gun. However the prices might become a problem, especially early on, before transhumanism will be widely accepted [if it ever will]. As for nano - stem cells - mech. aug. problem - all of them, eventually, can become one solution - fully mechanicly augmented person might eventually transfer brain and nervous system into either an advanced replica of human body, filled with nano-mechanisms instead of, for example, blood, or cloned organic body, possibly "optimized" by stem cells. The problem is to survive long enough - and be augmented. And here rises a question - if humans are ready to kill for a handfull of money, what will they be able - and ready to do for a possible immortality?

Bevacur
13th Jun 2010, 15:54
If they are even released they would be very expensive but give it a few years prices would be cheap. Crime will jump dramatically. Man, being robbed by a theif with mechanical arm which can snap your neck instantly is a scary thought! There should be a certain Police force who are also fitted with augments like Adam Jenson to stop criminals with augments.

Religion would shun augments instantly.

ChrisVCB
13th Jun 2010, 16:06
Let's say price is no issue for the sake of the topic question.

Destroyerzero
13th Jun 2010, 16:11
One does not need a mechanical augmentation unless it relates to something physical. I was one of those "born different" and "persecuted" for "being different" in a land where everyone says "being different is cool and unique" yet every entity tries to make everyone the same and punish anyone who is "different."

I wouldn't really get any augmentation unless I was injured to the point I would die if I didn't get an augmentation implanted. The issue of Nanoaugmentation and the sciences deal with what I mentioned in the very first paragraph...

"Being Different"

Anywhere you go, anything you do these days...the expectation is your result is the same as everyone elses or a result to "benefit the whole." Before science and engineering were the mainstream go-to for technological advancements, people were being born different....with different perceptions, abilities in which Psychiatry decided to use a "Conventional opinion of the majority" in order to "medicate" the "minority." Even before that, culture made people very different..Compare Athenian life to spartan life for those who read history.

My problem is because I was born different, I followed the convention to seek out people who were similar to me out of expectation to see how others had lived. Unfortunately, like the wise artist once said "Characters we love to see, are the worse we wish to befriend."

Its cool to "want" nanoaugmentations, but many people with a gift, a decent ability or developed skill or a disability will tell you outright what it means to have something others don't have it. My personal feeling to this, is some of what I have I wish I did not have and other things I have, I can be happy about. I guess the feeling is for the most of us.. How many of us have something we wish we could turn back time for?

Remember how Paul Denton was when his Augs were shut off? Like his life was meaningless, worthless and was completely dependent on bioenergy. I wouldn't want to end up like that. Trust me. I would love to be the friend to many of you, but I wouldn't want any of you to be me.

Trioptimum
14th Jun 2010, 06:34
Anything better than what i have now is an improvement. I'd to it. for sure, i would love to improve my eyesight. i also have myopia :( I want to do that correction proceedure, i just have to round up the cash.

Also it would be awesome to plate my bones with titanium...

rokstrombo
14th Jun 2010, 07:08
I wouldn't get mechanical limbs unless I lost my meat limbs. I enjoy being able to maintain my body with food alone, and sensing things without any specific task or purpose in mind.

Sotsiak
14th Jun 2010, 07:10
I wouldn't get mechanical limbs unless I lost my meat limbs. I enjoy being able to maintain my body with food alone, and sensing things without any specific task or purpose in mind.

Oh my gosh, now that you mentioned it. If I changed many parts of my body with mechanical, should I eat less food too ! ?
No, no....NO.

slayer1309
12th Aug 2010, 16:20
I definatly would, I am a supporter of most forms of human enhancement.

Would probably's start with skeletal reinforcement e.g. the Titanium plates, and then eye upgrades (fix my colour blindness, add some kind of HUD and targeting system). From there, would invest in a form of human-computer interface al la Invisible War Neural Interface and Bot Domination, and finish the process off with enhancing the muscles in my body, improving strength and speed.

Nano Tech preferably, but mech would do.

:P

Nyysjan
12th Aug 2010, 18:16
Depends on cost, reliability, functionality, ease of use and availability fo spare parts.

but if the cost is not prohibitive, service plan is not too draconian, it functions as well, if not better, than a meat and bones one, and learning to use it won't take too long, then yes, immediatly.
I think i'd get myself a mechanical right arm and right eye, and possibly hearing aug (not replacing my ears, but enhancing what's already there).
Style: Arm obvious grey metal, eye clearly mechanical (but only due to coloration/markings, no potruding parts pls.)

Cronstintein
12th Aug 2010, 21:16
The retractable tactical shades would be pretty cool with night/thermal/long-distance visions. Preferably with the least amount of visible mutilation while not in use (retracted).
Anti-aging stuff would be cool, or a full brain upload into a robot body once this one's about to give out I would definitely consider.

Some links that I found interesting on this subject--

Robot controlled by rat brain in a jar -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QPiF4-iu6g

Rat controlled by human via brain implants and a quadriplegic controlling a computer with just his brain -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EvOlJp5KIY

EDIT: had to add one more-- monkey with robotic arm (how many marshmallows are they going to feed this poor monkey!!!?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxIgdOlT2cY&feature=related

So these things aren't as sci-fi as they sound, really just a matter of time.

Romeo
13th Aug 2010, 05:20
Right off the bat I'd get a working pancreas. =P

Following that would be useful stuff, like night-vision and some form of self-defense. Maybe crazy-strength. lol

avenging_teabag
13th Aug 2010, 05:29
I'd really like a bionic knee - will help me to play volleyball as I used to. And a new pair of eyes, cause my old ones have gone to **** a long time ago. For new cool powers though - nope.

Cylon
13th Aug 2010, 08:18
well, I bake my own bread, so what about a arm that morphs into a 'kitchen helper arm'? that would be coooool! :p

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 06:39
I'd really like a bionic knee - will help me to play volleyball as I used to. And a new pair of eyes, cause my old ones have gone to **** a long time ago. For new cool powers though - nope.
WITH NIGHT-VISION ABILITIES! Or thermal. I gotta say, thermal would be pretty useful as a mechanic. And in paintball. :rolleyes:

luminar
14th Aug 2010, 15:32
Well now u mention it...

Reinforced plating to my bone stucture. -
Allows my bones to be stonger while reinforcing my muscles in ways that are not humanely possible.

Sub Dermal mechanical implants
These release performance enhancing cocktails that give me strength, speed and a hearty supply of Birdseye Fish Finger's OMEGA 3 for better mental functions. Of course they will have to be topped up monthly through use of Hypodermic seringes.

Ocular HUD
Similar to Adam's glasses, cept they fully encase the eye. The rear of the implants can improve electical impulses of the eye's nerve for incredible eye focus, for short and long distance viewing. It also allows me to see important information about my health, sub systems, energy levels and whether or not i want Pizza or Pie for Dinner.

Arm housed PDA
This will basically count as a comunication device, watch and mini computer that is housed on the outer layer of my skin from the wrist to the middle of the forearm. (On the left arm, as i am right handed - it will be easier to use.)

CODEC
This will be linked to the PDA. If i recieve a call, the Codec will beep and the PDA will vibrate my arm. All i need to do is Push the Select button..on the PDA. The CODEC's reciever directly stimulates the small bones of my ear. No one but me will be able to hear it.
This also acts as built in headphones. I can listen to all my MP5 songs(come on it's the future)

Integrated Flash or HardDrive
This will be placed in the skull. It will also have built in functionality with the Arm PDA and Ocular HUD. Information can be entered through the PDA, be stored in the HDD, and be viewed through the HUD. The HUD can also Print Screen... I mean, The HUD can also capture photogenics and store them in the HDD.

That's just a few :cool: haha.

This! Also maybe some kind of onboard tactical computer with a sexy female voice giving me advice about how to approach situations, people, combat, buildings etc. and otherwise just updating me about my surroundings and the like. It would also be nice to have some kind of mini emp/electro current device in my body I can pulse out or direct through certain parts of my body. Also some kind of agility/balance/perception enhancer.

Romeo
14th Aug 2010, 18:21
This! Also maybe some kind of onboard tactical computer with a sexy female voice giving me advice about how to approach situations, people, combat, buildings etc. and otherwise just updating me about my surroundings and the like. It would also be nice to have some kind of mini emp/electro current device in my body I can pulse out or direct through certain parts of my body. Also some kind of agility/balance/perception enhancer.
...Microsoft Anna?

'Turn left in one hundred fifty metres.' :rasp:

luminar
14th Aug 2010, 18:27
...Microsoft Anna?

'Turn left in one hundred fifty metres.' :rasp:

pretty much! Lol!

atheelogos
16th Aug 2010, 06:37
If you really had the option, would you get yourself augmented? I mean, you, yourself, not ingame.....and if so, how far would you go? An odd sneaky aug here and there? Or full on circus freak golem, Gunther style?

Personally, i'd be torn. The bad-assness of some augs would tempt me. Plus, me, I suffer from Myopia, so I could probably use some new eyes - so long as I get cool Adam Jensen style shades :cool: But on the other hand - changing a fundamental part of myself - I'm pretty happy with who I am, and i'm not sure i'd feel 'me' anymore - plus, it's not something you can really reverse once it's done.....

Seemed like a fun idea to discuss whilst we wait for more DX3 news :D

Well I'm all for Transhumanism so I would love to augment myself, though I don't want to be like Gunther. I'm not going to cut off my legs so I can run faster. But with nano augs hell yeah I would go crazy. I would also fix this whole aging problem that my body is going through. I would prefer to be ageless. I would also love to have my mental faculties expanded.

tartarus_sauce
16th Aug 2010, 07:01
I think you have to assume that nano-augmentations aren't availible. I can't think of any reason you would choose mechanical over nano if both were availible.

If only mechanical augmentations were availible, well, it depends on what the specs are. Deus Ex never really went into detail regarding mech capabailities. I mean, you only run into three mechs in the whole damn game, right?

I'd need more information about the risks vs. rewards, and what effect they would have on my health. Assuming things like infection, phantom limb, power supply, and maintenance are all completely mitigated... yeah, I'd go mech. Why not? Your body isn't a "fundamental" part of yourself, it's just the meat that's the stuff that supports your brain. Are you the bulb that carries the light, or are you the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?

atheelogos
17th Aug 2010, 03:21
I think you have to assume that nano-augmentations aren't availible. I can't think of any reason you would choose mechanical over nano if both were availible.

If only mechanical augmentations were availible, well, it depends on what the specs are. Deus Ex never really went into detail regarding mech capabailities. I mean, you only run into three mechs in the whole damn game, right?

I'd need more information about the risks vs. rewards, and what effect they would have on my health. Assuming things like infection, phantom limb, power supply, and maintenance are all completely mitigated... yeah, I'd go mech. Why not? Your body isn't a "fundamental" part of yourself, it's just the meat that's the stuff that supports your brain. Are you the bulb that carries the light, or are you the light of which the bulb is a vehicle?

"I can't think of any reason you would choose mechanical over nano if both were availible." Indeed. I'm guessing the op was talking about the time frame that human revolutions takes place in which means that its mostly mechanical. So if we were to fast forward to 2027 and I could be the age I am now then I would be for mechanical enhancement but I don't think I would do it myself. At least not to my limbs. I'm in my prime so there is no reason to cut off my legs or arms when they work just fine.

But I would go crazy with mental and social augs.

tartarus_sauce
17th Aug 2010, 06:19
"I'm in my prime so there is no reason to cut off my legs or arms when they work just fine."

You ain't THAT prime. If they had legs that would let me jump 50 feet and arms that would let me slice and dice like Jensen, I'd give up my original parts in a heartbeat.

nathanj
24th Aug 2010, 05:23
i would replace every single part of my body with augments except my *****. im sort of attached to that.... i might get some kind of nanotube carbon "cup" that was bullet proof though. :)

AxiomaticBadger
25th Aug 2010, 12:57
Everything. All that would be left of me is a brain and possibly a spine. If it would be possible to have them stored somewhere in a bunker whilst i control my body via wireless, then so much the better.

avenging_teabag
25th Aug 2010, 13:00
^Sad to say, but your spine would've to be upgraded first of all to support all that hardwire.

AxiomaticBadger
25th Aug 2010, 13:16
Depends on how the chassis is built really.The only reason I wouldn't get my neural tissue replaced is that I doubt a actual transfer into a piece of hardware is feasable.

avenging_teabag
25th Aug 2010, 13:19
That's the spirit!

AxiomaticBadger
25th Aug 2010, 13:21
...Please say the pun was unintentional :P

avenging_teabag
25th Aug 2010, 13:25
Lol, it wasn't. Begging your pardon :)

atheelogos
26th Aug 2010, 05:17
well now that I think about it. It depends on how the mechanical augmentation works. If its like ghost in the shell where they are augmented under the skin but look normal on the outside then hell yeah I would do it. If not then I would wait until my organic parts break down.

Solus501
7th Oct 2010, 14:03
Yes gunther looked kind of crazy but the main character of human revolution is mechanically augmented and I see nothing wrong. The human body has many flaws so I see no problem with improving it. If there were ever experiments and they asked for volunteers, then I would be the first in line. I think it might help that I am a former US Marine as well :)

Combining mechanical and biomodification would make you more then human. (but I wouldnt want a kill word like gunther or navarre)

AlexOfSpades
7th Oct 2010, 15:00
I'd LOVE augmentations.

I want ceramite or carbonfiber bones for extra agility and resilience. Modified muscle fibers for super strength, a a modified ear to prevent dizziness...

Secondary heart for more blood pumping, so i can have more adrenalin and better regeneration...

Secondary kidney for extra blood filtering so i wont be poisoned and a secondary lung to breath underwater.

Take off my digestive system and replace it with batteries, using the electricity to animate my heart, muscles and brain (Since they work by electric pulses anyways). Coat my skin with nanoparticles that absorb sunlight and allow me to regenerate electricity under the sun.

I dont wanna eat or sleep anymore, i wanna be eternal. Untouchable, unmatched. Godlike.

Heh.

Imagine me in the bed. Wow!

JCpies
7th Oct 2010, 15:08
I'd augment my legs, and maybe my arms.

A few problems I have with it, expense, and the fact if it was widely available people could get out of control. All security forces would need augmentations just to be able to combat rowdy civilians.

AlexOfSpades
7th Oct 2010, 15:14
No, no.

I wanna be the only augmented one.

No others.

):

Heh, i'd be a sexmachine.

Imagine JC Denton if he was in the... movie career.

Jenna Jameson: Jesus Christ, Denton! Wooh!
Eva Angelina: Oh, wow, JC! What a bomb!

Vasarto
7th Oct 2010, 19:44
Only if I could expand my life span with it. Otherwise it is pointless.

Blade_hunter
7th Oct 2010, 20:31
I prefer exoskeletons, you can have all the awesomeness without having to cut my limbs.

Facebyface
7th Oct 2010, 20:36
I prefer exoskeletons, you can have all the awesomeness without having to cut my limbs.

How do they wire it to your nerves then?

bryt
13th Oct 2010, 13:37
I'm not sure that mechanical augs will apeal to me unless the sex is just as good as now, or better. If i look like a monster i can imagine things in the sac might go down hill.

Rindill the Red
13th Oct 2010, 14:54
Mechanical augmentation has a lot of appeal to those who are crippled or injured physically in some way.

I don't know, if it was a safe procedure, and I was ridiculously rich, I might get my legs or back replaced (as I have certain disorders which cause me a lot of pain).

Shralla
13th Oct 2010, 18:37
Only if I could expand my life span with it. Otherwise it is pointless.

I can see how running faster, having more stamina in general, lifting several times the amount of weight you can right now, and being able to punch through relatively structurally sound walls (no brick or anything), could POSSIBLY be perceived as useless.

Well maybe the walls thing, but honestly if you think the rest of it is useless then you're just plain unimaginative.

How do they wire it to your nerves then?

They don't have to. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UpxsrlLbpU)

I'm not sure that mechanical augs will apeal to me unless the sex is just as good as now, or better. If i look like a monster i can imagine things in the sac might go down hill.

On the other hand, you might just start attracting a specific group of people. I'll admit to having a little bit of a "biomechanical" fetish. I would be incredibly surprised if there weren't a whole lot of girls into the same thing.

LeMoN_LiMe
14th Oct 2010, 06:18
id give myself an enormous.........arm :D

Brockxz
14th Oct 2010, 06:38
I can see how running faster, having more stamina in general, lifting several times the amount of weight you can right now, and being able to punch through relatively structurally sound walls (no brick or anything), could POSSIBLY be perceived as useless.

Well maybe the walls thing, but honestly if you think the rest of it is useless then you're just plain unimaginative.

No, He is just more realistic. So ok, you will have mechanical arms so that you can punch through walls. How does it help you? Are you going to punch through walls all over the place? It's all useless to normal people.

I can imagine augmented vision could help for those who lost theirs or have poor eyesight or i can see how mechanical arm can replace the lost arm in some accident but for normal people mechanical arm is useless. Of course mechanical arms and legs can boost ability to lift heavier objects but how many times do you have to do that in your life?

IdiotInAJeep
16th Oct 2010, 23:52
I have terrible eyesight so augmented vision all the way. Preferably with some sort of hud.

Pinky_Powers
16th Oct 2010, 23:59
My right thumb doesn't bend. The knuckle joint is frozen. So I wouldn't mind replacing it with a new one... maybe something that has a built-in lockpick or something.

Podunks
18th Oct 2010, 09:40
Being military, etc this is exceptionally interesting.

First I would have to go with only ones that let me look fully human, or at least mostly, staying the blade from sensitive areas, or areas that would really blur the line of humanity.

Vision: Eyes that allow me to see up to 2000yrds further if possible, thermal, IR, and physical health monitoring. Also, the capabilities to dissect certain things images with them, i.e. looking at a crowd of people and pulling the faces of certain people for closer examination.

Arms: Strength is obvious, enhances reflexes, and flexibility. My Hand eye coordination is superb as is but if it can be upgraded do it. reinforced bone structure, impact resistance.

Legs: Strength, reflexes, flexibility. Speed, and impact resistance for long jumps, or free falling. Ability to still grow leg hair so as not to lose masculinity if possible.

Skins: The ability to change skin tone, make and erase scars to alter appearance etc. Cloaking, and stealth so that others with augs will have a hard time detecting me.

The idea of being able to produce weapons from your arms/legs is very exciting. Swords leave a lasting impression.

Mind: The big one, to change or not to? If I were to, it would be protection, memory management, and longevity. The utmost aug to keep myself from being hackable. That would be the biggest fear.

None of this if there was not a way to keep EMPs from effecting me, that would be the worst to be emp'd and not be able to move or think.

FrankCSIS
18th Oct 2010, 14:44
Speaking of military, did you see Lockheed's HULC exoskeleton? Of course it's just a suit which can be removed, but it's certainly another step into mechanical mods lore.

JCpies
18th Oct 2010, 18:25
Of course mechanical arms and legs can boost ability to lift heavier objects but how many times do you have to do that in your life?

On your monthly trip to Ikea.

BigBoss
23rd Oct 2010, 05:28
In a heartbeat

OwlSolar
23rd Oct 2010, 05:30
I would certainly like to have four arms.

QiX
23rd Oct 2010, 05:36
I would certainly like to have four arms.

I have this as a recurring wish. Changing my baby boy's diapers is not easy task sometimes :D

Aosar
2nd Nov 2010, 17:23
I'd go with just a Brain Computer Interface and until nanoaugs came out I would keep most of that stuff external. External stuff is easier to update.

And even with nanoaugs I would settle for a good headcomputer, stuff to keep me healthy and long lived(that is ten to hundred fold current human norm, possibly as long as I want). And some stuff to help me survive in space, should that become pertinent.

But I would certainly jump at the chance to have a BCI implant, being a programmer the typing is bit of a chore. Especially on my Nordic keyboard.

Icarus AI
4th Nov 2010, 00:39
All the way until I am a posthuman god that is roaming the cosmos. Unlimited lifespan, intelligent billions of times larger, extensive senses and being pretty much limited only by laws of physics and your own imagination sound kind a fun.

Fluffis
4th Nov 2010, 02:25
All the way until I am a posthuman god that is roaming the cosmos. Unlimited lifespan, intelligent billions of times larger, extensive senses and being pretty much limited only by laws of physics and your own imagination sound kind a fun.

Until someone sticks a banana in your tailpipe.

TrickyVein
4th Nov 2010, 02:27
Woah...I just stumbled into the wrong thread.

Apparently.

Fluffis
4th Nov 2010, 02:40
Woah...I just stumbled into the wrong thread.

Apparently.

You've got a dirty mind.

TrickyVein
4th Nov 2010, 03:08
I know.

:(

...:D

TheMorten
8th Nov 2010, 14:37
Bring on the transhumanism!

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body!

Pinky_Powers
8th Nov 2010, 15:09
Bring on the transhumanism!

Oooo Ooooo! I know that one! From my favorite show! Battlestar Galactica!

That series wrecked me with it's unequaled awesomeness.

TheMorten
8th Nov 2010, 18:02
Oooo Ooooo! I know that one! From my favorite show! Battlestar Galactica!

That series wrecked me with it's unequaled awesomeness.

Hear hear. And, in spite of generally being disgusted with the Cavil character, that line of his is so true!

Falcon084
9th Nov 2010, 08:17
I wouldn't mind having my bones replaced with titanium. I lift heavy stuff on occasion and a titanium spine would help pus the aug would be on the inside and stop me from looking freakish.

Romeo
10th Nov 2010, 00:52
I wouldn't mind having my bones replaced with titanium. I lift heavy stuff on occasion and a titanium spine would help pus the aug would be on the inside and stop me from looking freakish.
Titanium rubbing on itself (As the spine needs to move) would be a terrible wear item, and would likely erode itself to the point of self-destruction rapidly. An oiling system would prevent/diminish that, but humans have a nasty habit of dying with oil swimming through their body.

Problematic in the mean time.

OwlSolar
10th Nov 2010, 02:08
From what I know, that applies to bones as well, which is why we have cartilage.

Romeo
10th Nov 2010, 04:20
From what I know, that applies to bones as well, which is why we have cartilage.
I don't think grafting cartilage onto titanium would work, given the hardness of titanium. I'm betting it would manage to severe through, in very little time.

OwlSolar
10th Nov 2010, 06:31
Not literal cartilage. I was thinking that they could just use similar principles and have something between the bones to prevent scraping.

...Come to think of it, how would a titanium spine even work? The spine is part of the nervous system, right? It's supposed to transmit signals or whatever. How effective would titanium be at that? It seems to make more sense to use machinery or cords for the spine, although maybe it could be armored with titanium...

Well, it'd probably work for other bones, at least. Wait, would it?

Donvermicelli
11th Nov 2010, 00:16
Call me insane but I believe that someday the tech to merge man and machine like JC does in the Helios ending or what they do in Ghost in the Shell will come to pass. Also I believe that someday to not be that far away any more considering the growth curve of technology we have at the moment. I guess I will not augment myself as long as I can do without but should I age I will most certainly aug myself to the extent where I am more machine than man. Considering what I said before not even sure if a body will be needed by then.(you can just find a new one in a couple of minutes then.)

Romeo
11th Nov 2010, 02:11
Not literal cartilage. I was thinking that they could just use similar principles and have something between the bones to prevent scraping.

...Come to think of it, how would a titanium spine even work? The spine is part of the nervous system, right? It's supposed to transmit signals or whatever. How effective would titanium be at that? It seems to make more sense to use machinery or cords for the spine, although maybe it could be armored with titanium...

Well, it'd probably work for other bones, at least. Wait, would it?
Well, I can't see total replacement of the spine ever working, as it is designed as housing for the spinal cord and spinal fluid, on top of it being a mounting point for ribs. However, one simply can't remove the bone and replace it with titanium, as it would allow all the spinal fluid to leak out in the mean time. I think you nailed the best solution, which would be armoring what's already there, via a titanium "wrap".

Call me insane but I believe that someday the tech to merge man and machine like JC does in the Helios ending or what they do in Ghost in the Shell will come to pass. Also I believe that someday to not be that far away any more considering the growth curve of technology we have at the moment. I guess I will not augment myself as long as I can do without but should I age I will most certainly aug myself to the extent where I am more machine than man. Considering what I said before not even sure if a body will be needed by then.(you can just find a new one in a couple of minutes then.)
I think neural interfacing will be adventageous in almost every concievable way (Warfare intelligence transfer, civilian general usage, information sharing, etc...) but just like you said, I think the most intriguing possibility it opens up is intellectual immortality.

Malovane
4th Nov 2011, 19:10
Would I want to have cybernetic augmentations to improve myself in body & mind? Absolutely.
Would I trust human organizations to not take advantage of those augmentations, be it through such things as body & mind control through the technology, financial servitude for life, and various other manipulations envisioned in cyberpunk lore? Absolutely not.

Thus I would only do it if the technology was hack-proof, able to go stand-alone. Such lofty requirements can't happen without a utopian human society, or a benevolent AI like Helios overseeing us with total omniscience.

Jibbajabba
4th Nov 2011, 19:40
...... only if there's an app for that :nut:

imported_the_guy
4th Nov 2011, 20:02
Ooooh it's a hard'un. The things is you can't go back or change your mind afterwards (duh :rolleyes: ). And if there were to be some drug like neuropozyne that you had to take regularly that would be a pain. And they would require a lot of maintenance. And you might have a rejection syndrome. But if I did lose a limb of something then I guess I would.

ECM_specialist
4th Nov 2011, 22:08
Personally I wouldn't implant myself with some fancy augs ,which does not necessary. In real life, it's different from the game.
Jump enhancement? Gimme a break. A ladder is cheaper.
Takedown? Shocker. Most weapons are better.
Lung enhancement?Rebreather.
Sprint longer? Oxygen rebreather.
Sprint faster? motoroller.
Implanted armor? Did ever Jensen told you, what is easier -- take bullets out of a bulletproof vest or your own skin?
Cloak? Wait, wasn't there a handheld version in Explosive mission pack?
Icarus system? I bet there exists armor with one.
X-ray vision? I bet goggle or helmet version simpler and cheaper.

I would not like to be a tool box, full of tools, which you cannot drop without going to clinic.

I would get augs, which could not be replaced by tools or some exoskeleton.
That is:
Implanted medical system.
HUD.
Brain-computer interface(infolink), thouroughly checked by me, OpenSource design ;) .
Perhaps inner ear for better balance.
That's pretty much all. Don't take all you may need, take only that you can't live without :cool: .

kooaznboi1088
5th Nov 2011, 01:46
Maybe Augmented Eyes for better gaming vision!

Praedor
8th Nov 2011, 15:37
Do you mean would I go out and give up my perfectly good arms and/or legs and have them replaced by some biomechanical thing that requires batteries? No. Absolutely not. If I lost an arm or leg(s) would I do it? Sure, until the biotech is available to regrow a real replacement part and then I'd go back to the real deal.

I WOULD be willing to gratuitously augment my eyes (not replace them, ENHANCE them) with IR capability (perhaps an implanted chip) but would even there prefer a genetically engineered solution to that too before really going for some silicon chip in my eye (would likely restrict you from doing anything that could put pressure on your eyes like scuba diving, skydiving (pressure differences). Something as simple as the old radial keratotamy (what came before Lasik) prevented you from being able to be a pilot or go snorkling or scuba diving because the cuts that were placed in the cornea to do the fix could reopen and wreck your eye...having a chip in you eye would be a hazard too.

An implanted communication device? Sure, so long as I can turn it off and prevent it from being a tool to track me with.

An augment to improve my memory or thinking (somehow)? Sure. An augment to allow for directly jacking into a computer? Probably. Again, all such things would have to come with no strings like being used as a tracking device and NOT require some permanent drug regimen to make it stick.

Perhaps something to make me immune to many toxins (cyanide, nerve agents, carcinogens).

Short answer: yes but only for small enhancements and tweaks, not wholesale and gratuitous replacement of body parts.

Praedor
8th Nov 2011, 15:51
Well, I can't see total replacement of the spine ever working, as it is designed as housing for the spinal cord and spinal fluid, on top of it being a mounting point for ribs. However, one simply can't remove the bone and replace it with titanium, as it would allow all the spinal fluid to leak out in the mean time. I think you nailed the best solution, which would be armoring what's already there, via a titanium "wrap".

I think neural interfacing will be adventageous in almost every concievable way (Warfare intelligence transfer, civilian general usage, information sharing, etc...) but just like you said, I think the most intriguing possibility it opens up is intellectual immortality.

Bone is NOT just some structural device to keep you in a human shape. It is THE primary source for calcium and phosphorus in your body. Bits of bone here and there could be safely replaced if needed but replacing a lot is out of the question. You'd die very quickly. Bone is also the home for the stem cells that produce your blood and immune cells.

Titanium is a fairly decent metal for use in prosthetics BUT it is not trouble-free. There can be inflammation and rejection issues. You could possibly replace a few vertebrae with a titanium replacement (better would be to grow a new bone replacement).

As for the spinal cord, if you have a means of interfacing a chip to neurons (like for a brain-jack for direct computer connections) then you have a path to replace the cord with an artificial cord that could be mostly immune to a lot of the damage your spinal cord is subject to. It would be VERY complicated to hook it into all the motor and sensory nerves, however.

kabukiman1973
9th Nov 2011, 14:09
I would probably only replace failing organs/members. Until then, neuroware to boost my memory and get some chips to use specific knowlege that I don't want bother to learn.

ECM_specialist
12th Nov 2011, 00:50
Titanium is a fairly decent metal for use in prosthetics BUT it is not trouble-free. There can be inflammation and rejection issues. You could possibly replace a few vertebrae with a titanium replacement (better would be to grow a new bone replacement).
The issues with titanium I know of are only allergic-like reaction to titanium dioxide and tiny bits of titanium in wrong places. It forms, if titanium corrode in biologic tissue. Properly processed titanium alloy(with proper treatment in nitrogen chamber) is pretty biologically inert.
The greatest implant would be titanium sponge, "grown" into the bone, reinforcing it(it is already possible ;))

As for the spinal cord, if you have a means of interfacing a chip to neurons (like for a brain-jack for direct computer connections) then you have a path to replace the cord with an artificial cord that could be mostly immune to a lot of the damage your spinal cord is subject to. It would be VERY complicated to hook it into all the motor and sensory nerves, however.
Considering all the innervation to internal organs and limbs... I would use term "unrealistically hard without advanced nanotechnology ;)"

Olgerth Heidern
12th Nov 2011, 02:43
Depends. If I had no choice (i.e. had my limbs blown off), yes. Regardless of whether I would have to take Nu-Poz or not. Getting shots beats sitting in a wheelchair or not being able to dress yourself.

Voluntarily? If I was like AJ, then yes. Hell, I'd go as far as Barrett and have myself made into a goddamn walking tank.
But, if I had to be on the Nu-Poz for the rest of my life, then no. I'd stick it out until nano-augs were available.

kelticfury
12th Nov 2011, 20:17
Plus, me, I suffer from Myopia, so I could probably use some new eyes - so long as I get cool Adam Jensen style shades :cool:

I would definitely get ocular implants, the jensen hud glasses... I like the shades, but I don't need a hud in rl, unless its to remember the names of people I met at a party or someting similar.

As far as limb replacement, yeah I'd probably go for that too.

jeyeichkey
14th Nov 2011, 21:35
As a response to the topic; I would go all the way. If I could augment/cyborg my brain (like Ghost in the Shell) I would. And if I didn't need food to get energy from, that would be so blissful.

Spyhopping
14th Nov 2011, 22:38
I saw a man at a train station today showing off pretty advanced looking metallic prosthetic legs (by showing off, I mean he was wearing shorts. And it was cold). His gait was really natural, fast, and he negotiated the crowds extremely well. Was rather cool!

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 14:28
Nothing as obvious as Adam's prosthetic arms but yeah, I'd be interested. I have perfect distance vision but color blindness so I would want synthetic eyes. I'd tell them to throw in night-vision and thermal while they're at it.

As for improving my physical abilities; I'd probably want to go with nanotech on that front.

Just curious...by color blindness do you mean you see NO colors or that your color perception is limited? Perhaps missing receptors for blue, or yellow, etc?

TrickyVein
15th Nov 2011, 14:34
As a response to the topic; I would go all the way. If I could augment/cyborg my brain (like Ghost in the Shell) I would. And if I didn't need food to get energy from, that would be so blissful.

You wouldn't want to eat? Isn't that one of the reasons to stay alive, to keep exploring and revisiting amazing tastes and delicious meals? I couldn't do without having to eat, at least I think life would be much less bearable. The joy of cooking, feeding other people and making them happy for it - not having this would be blissful for you?

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 15:09
You wouldn't want to eat? Isn't that one of the reasons to stay alive, to keep exploring and revisiting amazing tastes and delicious meals? I couldn't do without having to eat, at least I think life would be much less bearable. The joy of cooking, feeding other people and making them happy for it - not having this would be blissful for you?

Eating is certainly one pleasure but WHAT ABOUT SEX!? Replace your bio parts with mechanical gears, struts, cables? Bah! Sex would be the most important thing you would be giving up.

Chicks DON'T dig robots kiddo. No more skin-to-skin contact, no more pleasure of touch of ANY kind. No friggin' thanks!

jeyeichkey
15th Nov 2011, 15:28
@TrickyVein, Praedor
At this moment I still havent eaten lunch/dinner today. I don't just feel like it. Still my body needs energy, annoying..
About sex, it's all about electrical impulses stimulating during repeated vibration. That could be done even if one was built from scratch with nanotech/cyborg technology.
I don't see any of this as a problem. By this technology one could enhance the senses, that is feeling more during the time wanted, or hearing better or seeing farther.. The reason for me to be completely augmented is to get rid of the unnecessary needs of the human body such as feeling cold, hungry, tired although one has had one full nights sleep, feeling ache and so on.. I gladly trade all that away for being fully augmented.
Then of course there is other things as virus for the mechanical parts, but one could change the parts effected.

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 15:41
@TrickyVein, Praedor
At this moment I still havent eaten lunch/dinner today. I don't just feel like it. Still my body needs energy, annoying..
About sex, it's all about electrical impulses stimulating during repeated vibration. That could be done even if one was built from scratch with nanotech/cyborg technology.
I don't see any of this as a problem. By this technology one could enhance the senses, that is feeling more during the time wanted, or hearing better or seeing farther.. The reason for me to be completely augmented is to get rid of the unnecessary needs of the human body such as feeling cold, hungry, tired although one has had one full nights sleep, feeling ache and so on.. I gladly trade all that away for being fully augmented.
Then of course there is other things as virus for the mechanical parts, but one could change the parts effected.

No, sex is NOT merely electrical impulses. It is a LOT more than that. There are mental and inseverable physical aspects. People do NOT get off on machinery. They do NOT look at a piece of machinery and think, "I'd love to get naked on that!". No matter how you try to intellectualize it, you cannot escape from the fact that you are not going to get sex partners if you are a piece of machinery. The skin is an organ. It is the most sensitive organ in your body. It has a pleasant texture, look, smell, etc. Hardware does not. We are evolved for human body love, not merely anything that claims to be human in whatever form. You give up your dick or vagina and most of your skin, you are giving up your humanity AND you ARE giving up sex. You are not merely a mechanism that can be incorporated into any shape or device and still be human in all its meaning. Sex, eating, sleeping are all pleasures and necessary (plus, go without sleep too long and you die - literally. This applies to ALL vertebrates in existence.) You are not some "ghost in the machine, you ARE the machine. You are inseparable from your body.

As for eating being annoying. Sometimes but not always. Same with having to pee or take a dump. One way or another, be you machine or biological, you have to do the equivalent of peeing or taking a dump. No escape there (and there is pleasure in releasing the pressure or tension involved in emptying your bladder or colon too. Thank Cthulhu for evolution's blessings and the sensual blessings of being biological.

You wont get the chicks being a machine. Sorry.

Olgerth Heidern
15th Nov 2011, 16:05
No, sex is NOT merely electrical impulses. It is a LOT more than that. There are mental and inseverable physical aspects. People do NOT get off on machinery. They do NOT look at a piece of machinery and think, "I'd love to get naked on that!". No matter how you try to intellectualize it, you cannot escape from the fact that you are not going to get sex partners if you are a piece of machinery. The skin is an organ. It is the most sensitive organ in your body. It has a pleasant texture, look, smell, etc. Hardware does not. We are evolved for human body love, not merely anything that claims to be human in whatever form. You give up your dick or vagina and most of your skin, you are giving up your humanity AND you ARE giving up sex. You are not merely a mechanism that can be incorporated into any shape or device and still be human in all its meaning. Sex, eating, sleeping are all pleasures and necessary (plus, go without sleep too long and you die - literally. This applies to ALL vertebrates in existence.) You are not some "ghost in the machine, you ARE the machine. You are inseparable from your body.

As for eating being annoying. Sometimes but not always. Same with having to pee or take a dump. One way or another, be you machine or biological, you have to do the equivalent of peeing or taking a dump. No escape there (and there is pleasure in releasing the pressure or tension involved in emptying your bladder or colon too. Thank Cthulhu for evolution's blessings and the sensual blessings of being biological.

You wont get the chicks being a machine. Sorry.

If one makes a conscious decision to divorce yourself from the more physical aspects of humanity, then I don't think lack of sexual intercourse or other physical sensations would be a problem to begin with. Someone who would voluntarily choose full-on augmentation would probably have a mind that will readily accept the concept of being beyond human.

I'll agree with you on sleep; however, other "pleasures" are far from necessary. That is a concept fostered largely by quack-ridden American school of psychology, and popular opinion that "we are all sensual beings."

You are not giving the human mind enough credit. Most of us haven't progressed beyond animal stage, but that doesn't mean that animal stage is all there is to it.

jeyeichkey
15th Nov 2011, 16:15
@Praedor
That's your experience and limitations. I say, sex can be so much more than just the physical organ down below. On the other hand, you might be a Purist, or follower of Taggarts with that speech. ;^)

Maintenance of the body will be necessary no matter what physical form one takes, I'll grant you that. But I don't see the other basic needs following me into the enhanced body. Depending on what kind of body one builds.
I said; "tired although one has had one full nights sleep" not implying sleep wouldn't be necessary at all. I believe sleep will be necessary no matter how augmented one gets. It's like recharging. But even if one sleeps that might not be enough. One can be tired even if one got 8h's of good sleep and feel very refreshed after only 4 h's of sleep in other cases. That is something I would like to remove from my life. I see augmentation with the focus of recharging effectively as a solution.

Btw, I just can't let it slip any longer.. Who decided that I'm into "chicks"? Don't assume that I'm following the norm.

Praedor
15th Nov 2011, 16:21
@Praedor
That's your experience and limitations. I say, sex can be so much more than just the physical organ down below. On the other hand, you might be a Purist, or follower of Taggarts with that speech. ;^)

Maintenance of the body will be necessary no matter what physical form one takes, I'll grant you that. But I don't see the other basic needs following me into the enhanced body. Depending on what kind of body one builds.
I said; "tired although one has had one full nights sleep" not implying sleep wouldn't be necessary at all. I believe sleep will be necessary no matter how augmented one gets. It's like recharging. But even if one sleeps that might not be enough. One can be tired even if one got 8h's of good sleep and feel very refreshed after only 4 h's of sleep in other cases. That is something I would like to remove from my life. I see augmentation with the focus of recharging effectively as a solution.

Btw, I just can't let it slip any longer.. Who decided that I'm into "chicks"? Don't assume that I'm following the norm.

You are meat and meat is human. You cannot divorce yourself from your meat (all of it) and still be human. Sex is NOT an electrical impulse, nor is the sensuality of eating a good meal, of giving or feeling a touch, a smell, etc. Meat.

As for "chicks", it is a metaphor that simplifies the longer argument. You can't get the chicks if you are a device. Don't be too literal here. Replace 'chicks' with 'dudes' if you wish. Or 'dudes and/or chicks' if you wish. If you STILL indicate you don't follow the "norm" as expressed here, then we will have a problem cuz it means children, non-human animals, etc. It means pathology.

jeyeichkey
15th Nov 2011, 16:59
@Praedor
Now that is the interesting part. As the novel/anime Ghost in the Shell debates alot, what is human and where is the ghost (e.i the soul) located? Where will the boundary be for not being human anymore? A person with a cybernetic arm, two arms? The legs not being functional, hence exo-skeleton or perhaps replacing those non functional legs with cybernetic ones? Pacemaker, does that change anything in a human? Cyborg eyes perhaps?

I believe being human is more than just the meat. Being able to make choices, good or bad. Reflect on those choices. Engage in social activity, extending it into different relationships. Being able to use morale and/or being emotional. Acting out on goodwill despite not getting anything out from that action.

The meat, as you call it, is the vessel for the brain in my opinion. It works as a complex factory to make the brain function and give me all these options of interaction, making choices, using my morale, intelligence to create and/or destroy. This is just a fraction of the capability of the human brain. If you have read my previous posts I said something like wanting the augmentation for my body, but the brain might be tricky. If it were possible that would be awesome, but I'm afraid it isn't.

Edit;
Oh yeah, right. "Sex" is also a release of chemical products. Sorry I missed that.

kabukiman1973
17th Nov 2011, 13:36
If sex was just chemical and reactions it would be way easier to deal with.

Spyhopping
17th Nov 2011, 17:22
What else could it be? Every whisper of sensation comes down to even less than a cocktail of chemicals. Everything you think and feel is just a result of a big, beautiful, immensely complicated bundle of on/off switches. And that, in it's simplicity takes nothing away from how amazing it is.

"The meat" gives us a tactile, functional connection with one another. Sure it'd be difficult to simulate the subtleties of that artificially, but because of the simplicity of what it all boils down to, it's very possible.

EricaLeeV
17th Nov 2011, 17:46
Yep, the body makes it pleasurable so that we want to do it (of course this is not true of all things).

Kind of like how babies trigger a maternal/paternal response of being 'cute' because we have to take care of them for a looong long time.

Jerion
17th Nov 2011, 18:17
Cough cough...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/drama.png

jeyeichkey
17th Nov 2011, 20:25
@kabukiman1973
That's "love" you are talking about. I can agree that that is a totally different story.. ;^)

@Erica
Did you know humans like puppy doggies more than human babies? I saw it on TED, they had made a test to see where most "awww"'s came from. Puppy dogs won.. big. :^D

EricaLeeV
17th Nov 2011, 20:51
@Erica
Did you know humans like puppy doggies more than human babies? I saw it on TED, they had made a test to see where most "awww"'s came from. Puppy dogs won.. big. :^D

That doesn't surprise me. C:

I have seen several documentaries about dogs (once such is called Dogs Decoded (http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/dogs-decoded/)) and read several good articles about how in many ways they have evolved along with us (http://news.discovery.com/animals/humans-dumbed-down-dogs.html).

For instance, there was an experiment done with a wolf and a dog. They had a treat behind a cage (which obviously only a man could open). Both had been in captivity their whole lives and were accustomed to human interaction. When given the puzzle of the treat inside a cage the dog tried to open it for about a minute and then gave up and looked up to the man nearby for help and stopped trying. The wolf, however, went several minutes before it stopped trying to get the treat for itself; it never once looked to the man nearby for help.

Dogs can understand human emotion much better than other creatures and tend to remain 'puppies' their entire life. Always depending on their human companions, always being super affectionate and obedient (although this also has a lot to do with group dynamics as well). In a way, dogs seem to take advantage of humans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwYJzAY1go) because we help raise their puppies (among other reasons) with near no death rate amongst the puppies while dogs/wolves in the wild don't have such luck.

So many things trigger the human mind, it's amazing really.

I keep a bird, fish, frogs and lizard though. :V Had dogs before.

jeyeichkey
17th Nov 2011, 20:54
Let's augment some puppies!

EricaLeeV
17th Nov 2011, 20:59
You mean dogmentation? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePjx3CmDx8&feature=related)

jeyeichkey
17th Nov 2011, 21:26
@Erica
Right on. I figured those junkies haven't patened it yet ;^)

Mirror deja vu
20th Nov 2011, 09:55
Let's try to summarize the technoevolution ladder for the humans as it is represented in the sci-fi.
Bioengineering would be the first step to transhumanism many humans could take easily. "Meat" perfecting + pleasure requirements in that option will be prime targets making bioengineering a highly privileged thing. After that the society would shift swiftly to nanotechnologies. I guess the right sequence (purely psychologically for us) after nanomachines inside a human body would be introduction of the biomechanical synthesis, i.e. turning us into cyborgs. The question of sex chemistry there would transform itself into electrostimulation of the nerves. You can still have an orgasm, and a lot of tremendously powerful orgasms - like a Pavlov's dog (brain areas stimulation by electric current). After chewing this through we humans would inevitably enjoy the neural networked society. We will finally unite in one big Matrix. Ending up there will raise three problems: artificial intellect rebelling and subduing humans (Matrix Architector), some cute humans insatiable desire to control the rest of us (Zhao+Hyron (btw, looks like she had a sort of orgasm there in the Hyron Core, and the biggest plug hole in her spine was directly opposite to her vagina, not brain), loss of human personality and becoming an egregore which feeds on itself till its ultimate self-destruction. Breaking through these three hells with the providence help deliver us into the Ghost in the shell position: development of humans into self-contained condensed energy fields with the cold nuclear synthesis cycle. The alchemical body of the light in the future noire. May be I missed something. The question is: at what stage of that evolution you'd want to quit, and where you would go.

jeyeichkey
20th Nov 2011, 23:08
I sure hope Windows never makes augmentaions....

Mrow
20th Nov 2011, 23:38
People do NOT get off on machinery. They do NOT look at a piece of machinery and think, "I'd love to get naked on that!"

Allow me to introduce you to Hajime Sorayama (http://www.sorayama.net/) and the BBC documentary, My Car Is My Lover (http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/292/my-car-is-my-lover.jsp).

It's true that a hunk of chrome won't feel anything. But a hunk of flesh won't either if it doesn't have any nerves.

If I didn't have to deal with neuropozyne for the rest of my life I'd definitely get augmented. First thing I'd do is get a new pair of eyes. My vision's so horrible that I can't read anything more than two feet away from me unless it's really big. Myopia doesn't make me beautiful, it makes me unfit to drive.

Mirror deja vu
21st Nov 2011, 13:54
Allow me to introduce you to Hajime Sorayama (http://www.sorayama.net/) and the BBC documentary, My Car Is My Lover (http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/292/my-car-is-my-lover.jsp).

It's true that a hunk of chrome won't feel anything. But a hunk of flesh won't either if it doesn't have any nerves.

If I didn't have to deal with neuropozyne for the rest of my life I'd definitely get augmented. First thing I'd do is get a new pair of eyes. My vision's so horrible that I can't read anything more than two feet away from me unless it's really big. Myopia doesn't make me beautiful, it makes me unfit to drive.

Sure. We just need a balanced approach to the bodily transformation, the thing totally lacking in the existing sci-fi as it presents all advances in that area as apocalyptic. It should not be necessarily so in reality, though in the games and movies it is a must of the genre we all are fascinated so much of.

kabukiman1973
24th Nov 2011, 12:19
In theory bioengenering would be more acceptable for most people. But your forgeting that most religions are blantly against them, and usually politicians have afraid of those... On the other hand, augmentation as long as it is not made on purpose (like getting an arm choped off voluntary) would probably face less resistance. Tricky, isn't?

TrickyVein
25th Nov 2011, 02:16
I sure hope Windows never makes augmentaions....

LOL. Everything would come with a set-up and install wizard. You'd close your hand automatically whenever you extended your arm because of "autoformatting."

kabukiman1973
25th Nov 2011, 12:23
Talking about augmentation, read this paper...

http://iopscience.iop.org/0960-1317/21/12/125014