PDA

View Full Version : A question of control

ncdamc
7th Jun 2010, 11:07
I was wondering if this title wil support different thumbstick layouts? e.g. Southpaw, left thumbstick = aim, right thumbstick = move.

Kodaemon
7th Jun 2010, 11:11
Mouse and keyboard. Problem solved.

Gaunt88
7th Jun 2010, 11:13
^ Yeah, well, not everyone has that option, do they?

I'd say it probably will, it's pretty much standard.

Enderrr
7th Jun 2010, 13:07
This should use the same controls (on consoles at least) as Bioshock 2. Perfect setup for an ability based shooter/RPG such as this.

Kodaemon
7th Jun 2010, 13:36
Look: a PC can do everything a console can. A console can't do everything a PC can. And this means that games developed for both suffer on the PC. Dumbed down gameplay, simplified interfaces, HUGE FONTS YOU CAN READ FROM YOUR COUCH, gimped graphics... Yeah, it's PC or bust for more complex games.

pewbeng
7th Jun 2010, 13:55
Nah, mate, I hear you. It's just.. there's a dude registering here to ask a simple question, you already know it's going to be on consoles, so why not answer or be quiet instead of having his first interaction with an indigenous forumite be a hostile one.

For better or worse, we're all waiting for how this will turn out and we're kind of stuck with eachother in this forum because no man here is good enough to say "it's just Deus Ex" and turn away. Might as well be a nice time. 's all I'm saying.

Cheers

demon boy
7th Jun 2010, 14:31
One of the most annoying things in any forum is when people get into harcore fanboy PC vs. 360 vs. PS3 mode. There are the morons who say things like "PS3 sucks balls and 360 kicks ass!" Then there are morons who say "PC rules and consoles are for retards!"

Quit crying. Consoles are here for a reason. They are here so that people who lack large sums of money or technical savy can buy a game platform that will allow them to play all of the latest games. They might also enjoy playing their games on big screen TVs in the living room instead of hunched over a monitor.

Personally, I use both PC and consoles. I'm just now in the process of acquiring components for a new rig (haven't built one in almost 7 years). The PC has a much higher performance ceiling so, when the money is available and there is software that I'm excited about, I will often go for PC (especially in the case of first person games and RTS).

That being said, I have played games on the console almost exclusively for the past few years and I have been happy with the experience. Consoles are capable of doing a lot these days and they are much cheaper. You make one $300-400 purchase and you have your platform for the next 5-7 years. With a PC, to really get a system that shows you the difference between PCs and consoles, it's going to cost a lot more than that and within short order, there will be software released that you will not be able to maximize without upgrading your rig. It's not for the shallow of wallet.

Also, I'm extremely interested in seeing what the XBOX's Natal and especially the Sony Playstation Move can do. For the longest time, console FPS games have been somewhat hindered by the need to use a control pad. Using these motion controls, however, provides a level of precision that rivals keyboard/mouse setups while potentially being more fun to play. Adding these to the PS3 or XBOX 360 would be a major game changer for me and launching the next gen consoles (PS4 XBOX 720?) with these controllers would really put an end to my dedicated gaming PC days. I'm building one now in anticipation of DX: HR, Rage, Crysis 2 and Brink but I don't kid myself. The industry is moving towards console development and away from PC development. I also find it highly impractical to build a gaming PC. It needs its own desk and monitor and sound system and it is essentially only useful for playing games. I have a laptop that I need for work that I use for all of my basic computing needs.

Zahar
7th Jun 2010, 15:09
I also think those flames are completely undeserved.

Flame wars are for small kids. Sorry.

I'm a PC gamer at heart and of COURSE it breaks my heart having all new versions of my beloved franchises ruined because the PC version CANNOT run better than the damned xbox 360 version - all I can have is ports because PC people are all evil pirating demons, right?

But it's not console players fault, it's the industry being heavily influenced by microsoft, etc. So, why flame a new user for nothing?

On hte OP, nobody knows, Let's hope so, for some reason certain games FORCE you on one out of 2 or 3 layouts and noone pleases you. So let's hope they make it fully customisable.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jun 2010, 15:35
EVERYONE.
Do not flame, respect other's opinions and preferences.

Don't waste your time respond to flaming either as it just ruins discussion. Simply report any post you deem as inappropriate and it will be dealt with. Thank you.

sonicsidewinder
7th Jun 2010, 15:43
All people need to realise is that if they own both consoles and a PC, and their PC can handle the game, you buy it for PC, BECAUSE, you'll be getting the same game, that looks the best graphically, at a cheaper price.

That to me is the best thing about the PC variant of the game. They're near always £10 cheaper than the console game.

And if you dont like mouse and keyboard, well, the game's in development for consoles aswell so u can just jack in an xbox controller and call it a day.

Kodaemon
7th Jun 2010, 15:48
All people need to realise is that if they own both consoles and a PC, and their PC can handle the game, you buy it for PC, BECAUSE, you'll be getting the same game, that looks the best graphically, at a cheaper price.

That to me is the best thing about the PC variant of the game. They're near always £10 cheaper than the console game.

And if you dont like mouse and keyboard, well, the game's in development for consoles aswell so u can just jack in an xbox controller and call it a day.

This. The "consoles are cheaper" argument is just silly when you take into account game prices. A PC is a bigger one-time expense, but it saves you money in the long run. And it's a lot more versatile than a console. Owning a console only makes sense if you're wealthy enough to own BOTH a PC and a console, in which case who'd want to play something like DX on the console anyway?

Irate_Iguana
7th Jun 2010, 15:53

You'll find that quite a lot of PC gamers fear the fact that the game is being made for consoles precisely because it has to work well with a gamepad. Despite dev claims to the contrary this has the unfortunate result of the PC controls becoming either annoying or very limited as a result.

Sotsiak
7th Jun 2010, 15:54
If you think of it...

Console gamer: Pc(because he needs to do work with it) + favorite console + console games = $$$

Pc gamer: Pc + pirated games = $

Of course I am against pirated games. But see for yourself how many people think and what is the result in $.

Just to understand that the console money argument used in the thread is fail.

Zahar
7th Jun 2010, 17:50
If you think of it...

Console gamer: Pc(because he needs to do work with it) + favorite console + console games = $$$

Pc gamer: Pc + pirated games = $

Of course I am against pirated games. But see for yourself how many people think and what is the result in $.

Just to understand that the console money argument used in the thread is fail.

YEah, cause the leading console, Xbox 360, is completely piracy-free.

I can also do it, wanna see?

PC = PC only + 199 dollars to buy original games

Xbox 360 = PC (cause you need it) + 199 dollars console + 0 games, so you need to grab pirate games worth 199 to balance your finances if you earn the same as the guy on the first case.

Fail rationale=fail rationale, sorry.

edit: The PS3 is the only piracy free console, due to the fact it runs Blu-rays. Yet stuff is still ported from the Xbox 360. If piracy was the point here, shouldn't everything be done to the PS3 mainly, the only piracy-free platform?

Also, if making games for PCs was such a bad deal, shouldn't Blizzard Entertainment be bankrupted? Still, they are the ones that make more money in that industry. People develop for Xbox360 first and better because Microsoft have a very agressive policy, so they blackmail, pay millions or just forbid the launch of inferior versions to their console, even if it's artificial. What can I say? Market is war. The problem is MS competitors don't play as hard as they do or things would be more balanced.

Sotsiak
7th Jun 2010, 17:55
I'm a PC gamer at heart and of COURSE it breaks my heart having all new versions of my beloved franchises ruined because the PC version CANNOT run better than the damned xbox 360 version - all I can have is ports because PC people are all evil pirating demons, right?

You completely mislead me!!

Edit: With a bit of search you can see that Pc piracy is much more than console piracy. +more easily accesible as far as I know(I don't have a console :()

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jun 2010, 18:13
OP wants to know:

I was wondering if this title wil support different thumbstick layouts? e.g. Southpaw, left thumbstick = aim, right thumbstick = move.

Shralla
7th Jun 2010, 18:23
Southpaw is silly. I know tons of left-handed people, and none of them have ever complained about the traditional layout for first-person shooters on consoles, the same way that none of them ever complain about the mouse being a primarily right-handed device (except my aunt, but she's weird).

El_Bel
7th Jun 2010, 18:23
Ok, and we dont know.

Well i have a friend and he pirates games in 360. With just a 35 euro microchip.

Malah
7th Jun 2010, 18:49
...but..the pirates.. and... and... the cost and ... PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!!! :mad2:

68_pie
7th Jun 2010, 19:03
buy a mouse and keyboard for your console - im assuming DX3 will support this on console yes?

Pinky_Powers
7th Jun 2010, 19:41
Southpaw is silly. I know tons of left-handed people, and none of them have ever complained about the traditional layout for first-person shooters on consoles, the same way that none of them ever complain about the mouse being a primarily right-handed device (except my aunt, but she's weird).

I'm left-handed, and I have no troubles with right-handed devices either. Most of those that do are probably just whiny little b1tches.

Romeo
8th Jun 2010, 00:12
Their fault for playing on a console.
Their fault for not constantly wanting to dump funds into their PC to keep it competitive? Yes, because people choose to not have money to waste. I can honestly say, by the time rent, food, insurence, gas, schooling, clothing and utilities are paid for and I've only got a few hundred left, the $1500 PC doesn't look so attractive in comparison to the $300 XBox or PS3.

Thumb up.

EDIT: What's going on with all the new troll threads ? :/
You do realize there's absolutely nothing troll-like about this thread, right?

Gaunt88
8th Jun 2010, 02:24
A bit OT but, you know, this whole thread reminds me of this RvB video (10 things you'll never hear on an internet forum): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MardGP3vN6U.

Specifically, numbers 4 and 5.

To go back on topic, I'd say you're not going to hear anything on this front until you open up the game booklet, unless it's brought up in a developer Q and A. It's just not the sorta thing that gets any publicity.

68_pie
8th Jun 2010, 04:28
most people I know own either a PC/laptop or a PC and a console. I can't think of anyone I know who just has a console. Admittedly some people's PCs may not run new games. My laptop is over 2 years old and I havent come across a game yet that I havent been able to play on at least some graphical level so I dont think it too unlikely that many people will be playing on PC. Most people who are in the main demographic for buying computer/video games, I imagine, would find it hard to live/work without owning a PC.

xParoxysm
8th Jun 2010, 10:14
It isn't. If you have a problem with modern games then stop playing

If Martin Luther King Jr. had a problem with racism, did he give up life? No, I don't believe he did.

QED, we need someone thinking the radical thoughts and sticking their neck out in order to change society. It's happened countless times over the course of history but you're suggesting that if we don't like how something is run, we should give up and not give another thought to what the future might be like if we opted to fight for what we believe is just.

luminar
8th Jun 2010, 20:53
Their fault for playing on a console.

Console gaming is not synonymous with with simple and dumbed down contrary to what some believe. I started out as a pc gamer but as the price of pc gaming went up it was no longer an option, so I now play on consoles. I still wan't depth and complexity in my games. it's the game developer's job's to make a control scheme that allows for depth and complexity. I've seen it done before, I'm to lazy to think of an example right now but it's been done.

Kodaemon
8th Jun 2010, 21:18
I started out as a pc gamer (...) I now play on consoles (...) I'm to lazy to think

Yep.

as the price of pc gaming went up it was no longer an option, so I now play on consoles.

Is it just me, or does this make no sense at all? Where I live, console games are pretty much twice as expensive as PC games.

Also: there are good, atmospheric games on consoles. There are games with great storylines and compelling characters. But complexity of gameplay will always be restricted by the use of a pad.

Irate_Iguana
8th Jun 2010, 21:39
Console gaming is not synonymous with with simple and dumbed down contrary to what some believe.

It doesn't have to be. Unfortunately many marketing execs in the industry have decided that they want it to be. That has lead to the impression amongst gamers that consoles are the reason games have been dumbed down.

dlind70
8th Jun 2010, 21:47
What right do you have to assume a true fan of Deus Ex is a PC fan only? Maybe he started on IW and played it to death. Then discovered the first game on PC. Maybe this gamer has a preference to play with a gamepad. Personal preference, eh? It's not like you needed high reflexes in either game that required the mouse movement.

As for the question, we don't know the control options yet for HR.

luminar
8th Jun 2010, 21:53
Yep.

Is it just me, or does this make no sense at all? Where I live, console games are pretty much twice as expensive as PC games.

Also: there are good, atmospheric games on consoles. There are games with great storylines and compelling characters. But complexity of gameplay will always be restricted by the use of a pad.

Sure they are but the initial price plus paying for software and hardware upgrades is both time consuming and wealth consuming. We didn't even have a 360 until the price dropped and we found a good deal. I refuse to believe that console games CANT have complexity and depth someone just needs to find the right way to utilize a game pad.

jtr7
17th Jul 2010, 05:25
A late response:

If you have a problem with modern games then stop playing

I don't play games. I'm not a gamer, and certainly not a consumerist that takes whatever's offered and shells out more money than the limited joy deserves. I see nothing out there for me, except the very few games that fit me so well, and made me feel respected and not condescended to, and not so obviously trying to tap the biggest monetary pay-off. The games I like often (not always) happen to be niche-market games that the devs knew were not mainstream when they made it. I play the games that bring me a lot more joy than irritation and only stop playing those games when life has made me stop or I grow apart from them. I don't have a problem with "modern" games, but simply, games lacking elements I like and having elements I don't (which sounds pretty normal to me), as it's been since the games of 1970s. It takes a real consumerist, game critic, bored captive, or someone with a specific obsessive-compulsion to keep playing games they don't enjoy. Unless you want to really surprise me by claiming there's no game you won't enjoy playing, I will remind you of those games you aren't interested in, and point out that I am addressing issues that keep me from enjoying games, especially things that cannot be ignored or adapted to enough. I do not enjoy many mainstream elements ("modern" isn't the issue) in games where the pioneering concepts are formulated and repeated without the progressive, risky, bold spirit, and worse, caricaturized, and only to tap the larger consumer body, which doesn't take much original thought.

DeusWhatever
17th Jul 2010, 06:22
What right do you have to assume a true fan of Deus Ex is a PC fan only? Maybe he started on IW and played it to death..

Maybe not ... :rolleyes:
btw. IW lol ...

If you have a problem with modern games then stop playing

Thats my favourite quote in this thread, mindset of winners ... :mad2:
If you have a problem with something, stop complaining, thats exactly why the world is such a great place ;)

Is it really so hard to understand that people are pissed because their hobby is destroyed? The reason is the growing popularity of gaming, and consoles are symbols for the mainstream that is destroying any decent genre. The problem is quite simply the mass wants casual-action-godmode-games, im shure there are also more "hardcore" gamers than some years ago, still compared to the general number of new gamers its a minority now.

Its kind of funny some years ago people were talking of games and called them "art". I guess they were, but now games are nothing more than all those crappy hollywood-action-movies produced only for maximum benefits. Kind of sad. So game designers evolved from "Artists" to assembly line workers.

Still its funny to watch the gaming-industry destroy itself, they produce games more expensive every year, so they need more consumers every year. Problem is, i guess no one told them that every market has a limit ...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jul 2010, 19:54
Another thread that's lost the plot. Closed.