PDA

View Full Version : 'I'll take you to hell' guy from trailer is Sam Carter?

iamrob7
6th Jun 2010, 22:41
Someone on another forum pointed out that the guy from the trailer who says 'I'll take you to hell' has scarring on the left side of his face on the forehead and the cheek and he thought that Sam Carter had that scarring also.

I've just been looking at a picture of Sam Carter and you know I think he might be right. The scarring seems very similar to me.

Could this guy be a younger Sam Carter? If so that is a fantastic and intriguing idea. Kudos to the designers.

Blade_hunter
6th Jun 2010, 22:44
Sam carter isn't augmented

DemonNick
6th Jun 2010, 22:50
His name is Barrett. He's a southerner, possibly texan, and early previews compared him to Gunther.

iamrob7
6th Jun 2010, 22:52
Yes and he isn't about 7 foot tall also. I just thought the scarring was a remarkable coincidence and perhaps the vast physical disparity could be explained somehow i.e. a mech/augmented suit used by the military or something or other. As opposed to inbuilt body augmentations. It seems logical that if augmentations can be built, an augmentation suit can be built also. Possibly as a precursor to body augmentations themselves.

You are probably right to be sceptical though, still it would be an interesting idea to see Sam Carter in a different light. Perhaps changing during the course of the game into the Sam we knew in Deus Ex 1.

iamrob7
6th Jun 2010, 22:54
His name is Barrett. He's a southerner, possibly texan, and early previews compared him to Gunther.

Righty ho, perhaps that was just a red herring though?.....ok ok I'm clutching at straws I know...I'll go sit in the corner...

Tracer Bong
6th Jun 2010, 22:58
Scars could just be a homage.

In Rockstar's sequel to Red Dead Revolver the main character has the same facial scarring as the main character from the first game, even though the two have nothing to do with each other.

iamrob7
6th Jun 2010, 23:03
Yes I guess so, might be a developer sticking that in there as some sort of homage/joke. As in Sam Carter was the nice side of the military, this guy is the ugly side. Or something or other.

I accept my schooling by these people and I'm grateful for it.

SemiAnonymous
6th Jun 2010, 23:10
its also worth noting that sam carter is missing an eye, this guy has appropriate scarring but has two eyes. Just one last little detail to mention.

Ashpolt
6th Jun 2010, 23:13
Yes and he isn't about 7 foot tall also. I just thought the scarring was a remarkable coincidence and perhaps the vast physical disparity could be explained somehow i.e. a mech/augmented suit used by the military or something or other. As opposed to inbuilt body augmentations. It seems logical that if augmentations can be built, an augmentation suit can be built also.

Discussions about Sam Carter aside, I think this is a really cool idea! We already know that a huge part of the game focuses around the conflict between augmented and non-augmented people, and Barrett is obviously a really strong example of the "augmented" side of the debate. But what if he wasn't? What if, nearing the end of the game, you come to your final showdown with Barrett, the man you have come to despise as everything that is wrong with augmentations....and then he gets out of his suit, and reveals himself to be 100% aug free. How much would that screw with you?

mr_cyberpunk
6th Jun 2010, 23:57
Sam carter isn't augmented

He has a prosthetic mech-leg from what I'm to understand. I think he got it during the Texas occupation.

iamrob7
7th Jun 2010, 00:54
its also worth noting that sam carter is missing an eye, this guy has appropriate scarring but has two eyes. Just one last little detail to mention.

True but that is easily explainable, seeing as Sam Carter is the older version of this guy, he could have lost that eye during the years following Deus Ex 3 scenario.

The possibility that the name Barrett is simply a cover for the fact that this guy in the future becomes Sam Carter remains alive. Far fetched perhaps but conceivable.

It could be a suit and Barrett might be a cover name/disguise to hide the truth! Sam Carter might have a murky past!