PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Machina in Movies?

Alai
5th Jun 2010, 09:08
I think I understand what deus ex machina means, which is when some kind of intervention from god(or someone through god) happens to save us from seemingly impossible to survive situations. What are some examples of this shown in movies/films?

Could the ending of Star Wars IV be in this category? IT was where Luke was about to get shot by Vader, and all of a sudden Han shows up and shoots Vader's fighter?

MaxxQ1
5th Jun 2010, 09:19
I think I understand what deus ex machina means, which is when some kind of intervention from god(or someone through god) happens to save us from seemingly impossible to survive situations. What are some examples of this shown in movies/films?

Could the ending of Star Wars IV be in this category? IT was where Luke was about to get shot by Vader, and all of a sudden Han shows up and shoots Vader's fighter?

Give the man a cookie. :D

Although god (or *a* god) doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with it. In the ancient days when the phrase was coined, yeah, it was usually an actor portraying a "god" being lowered from above the stage to get the other actors out of an unsolvable situation. Nowadays, any character that shows up in the nick o' time to resolve the situation would be considered a "deus ex machina".

xaduha
5th Jun 2010, 09:24
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina