PDA

View Full Version : Leaning/peeking should it be in the game

FreedomForever
5th Jun 2010, 07:40
The original Deus Ex had this, I personally love this.

I mean most of todays games are mission this feature which I believe is one of the most underated features in any game. First of all leaning/peeking makes the game more tactical/realistic, I mean who in the world is going to show half there body or there whole body when shooting someone?....even if you have augmentations, it doesn't make sense.

Now the only problem I see with the Leaning/peeking right now is the console controllers. It is all going to depend on the controles of Deus ex 3 but if they have room it should work somewhat....If it doesn't work for consoles then put it on pc.

I also saw that the trailer has way too much action, which kind of leads me to believe that there going to go perhaps for somewhat faster pace....Im sure a stealthy approach will still be able for players but most likely they won't worry about leaning/peeking.

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 07:49
You missed this topic by about a year and a half.

FreedomForever
5th Jun 2010, 08:17
You missed this topic by about a year and a half.

Thanks, brah....that was really helpful.

MaxxQ1
5th Jun 2010, 08:21
Thanks, brah....that was really helpful.

Quick answer: No leaning.

Slightly longer answer: Optional third-person cover peeking.

Long answer: You can hide behind cover, but can't peek around it without being detected unless you hit the "peek" key (whatever it may be, or be called), at which time, the game switches to third-person, and you can see all around.

FreedomForever
5th Jun 2010, 08:24

Long answer: You can hide behind cover, but can't peek around it without being detected unless you hit the "peek" key (whatever it may be, or be called), at which time, the game switches to third-person, and you can see all around.

Thanks...Not a big fan of 3rd person cover systems but it was sort of expected since the game is going to come out on console I guess.

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 08:41
Killzone 2 <=

Sotsiak
5th Jun 2010, 10:09

You forgot to mention that this "peek" key will be at the center of the screen. It will be a BIG BUTTON saying Press any key to go to 3rd person, the BIG BUTTON will also go up and down so you can see how people press a button.

EDIT: There will be a tic-tic sound too.

MaxxQ1
5th Jun 2010, 11:12
You forgot to mention that this "peek" key will be at the center of the screen. It will be a BIG BUTTON saying Press any key to go to 3rd person, the BIG BUTTON will also go up and down so you can see how people press a button.

EDIT: There will be a tic-tic sound too.

My sarcasm detector is pegged. :rolleyes:

I doubt very much that it will be anything like that, except maybe for those who actually play on a ...gag... console.

Call it a hunch, call it remembering reading something about it being primarily developed for the PC, but I think the PC version will be optimised for <GASP!> the PC.

Unlike a certain sequel which I refuse to mention.

Irate_Iguana
5th Jun 2010, 11:20
Call it a hunch, call it remembering reading something about it being primarily developed for the PC, but I think the PC version will be optimised for <GASP!> the PC.

Marketing 101: pretend that you actually make the game for the PC crowd while secretly developing it for the Xbox since that will be the bottle neck.

The only screens that are ingame were shown on a Xbox. The first demo was done on a Xbox. The levels look designed with limited console memory in mind. This will be a console game ported to PC. The quality of the port makes this decent or unplayable.

MaxxQ1
5th Jun 2010, 11:37
Marketing 101: pretend that you actually make the game for the PC crowd while secretly developing it for the Xbox since that will be the bottle neck.

The only screens that are ingame were shown on a Xbox. The first demo was done on a Xbox. The levels look designed with limited console memory in mind. This will be a console game ported to PC. The quality of the port makes this decent or unplayable.

<shrug> Whatever. I'm pretty much ambivalent about everything mentioned about the game, by both the developers, and the fans discussing it. There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why the screens were shown on an Xbox (besides your assumption that it's primarily a console game later to be ported to PC). I'm not even going to attempt to postulate what that reason may be, though, so don't ask.

I'm only stating things which I've read in the past about the game, from Rene himself, or from interviews, and not taking a stand one way or the other. I'll reserve final judgement when I actually play the game, until then, pretty much everything mentioned is more or less just speculation, mindless praise, or doomsaying.

IOW, I'm trying to be that rarest of animals: an unbiased reporter. :lol:

Ashpolt
5th Jun 2010, 12:14

Has this actually been confirmed? I had assumed you would have lean keys in addition to 3rd person cover. If they have taken lean keys out, it even further puts the lie to the statement that you can play this game without using the cover system.

Irate_Iguana
5th Jun 2010, 12:19
Has this actually been confirmed? I had assumed you would have lean keys in addition to 3rd person cover. If they have taken lean keys out, it even further puts the lie to the statement that you can play this game without using the cover system.

They confirmed that in the article that mentioned stealth. The only way to peek around corners it to use the fantastic cover button.

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 12:44
Well guys Rainbow six vegas cyber renaissance edition, that's what DX HR is.
Dugas wanted it and did it.
Cover system is just presented to be optional, but the game will manage you to use it.
Except if you have a see through walls augmentation you can avoid the cover system for stealth

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 13:03
Well guys Rainbow six vegas cyber renaissance edition, that's what DX HR is.

More like Rainbow Six Las Vegas Cyberpunk Renaissance Multi-Path Multi-Ending Self-Upgrading Weapon-Upgrading Choice-Driven Story Choice-Driven Dialog RPG Edition.

When you put it down in words like that, it sounds amazing.

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 13:09
Not to me

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 13:21
Not to me

I know. But it seems to me that you've chosen to make that the case.

I see a lot of incredible things going for this game, and when you put in all the pieces it in no way represents a game like Vegas. Even the cover system excites me, cause I see it as a tool for stealth, which is my favorite way to play Deus Ex. Even when I drew my picture (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/Pinky_Powers/JCKnifeS.jpg), I unwittingly composed it as though it had a cover system. lol.

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 13:30
Well as I said, it will be used for the two operation modes stealth and combat.
I never claimed that combats will be forced in any post.

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 13:33
I wasn't suggesting that you did. Merely sharing.

Posklapenzi
5th Jun 2010, 13:37
Don't expect lean in a console game.

I seriously hope they are joking with the 3rd person thing.

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 15:59
Jokes don't usually last this long.

13LACK13ISHOP
5th Jun 2010, 17:29
Why remove lean? What's the point?

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 17:52
3rd person cover system, man

FreedomForever
6th Jun 2010, 02:47
3rd person cover system, man

WQin4AaPwJw

This cover system PWNS Rainbow Six vegas cover system.

IOOI
6th Jun 2010, 02:51
WQin4AaPwJw

This cover system PWNS Rainbow Six vegas cover system.

Please, no more. Don't make cry. :(:(:(

Pinky_Powers
6th Jun 2010, 06:39
Is that Medal of Honor Airborne?

Blade_hunter
6th Jun 2010, 09:06
Yes, it is; but I tried to get something of that kind and people almost agreed with.
I've made a subject about that before and the poll shown that FP cover and leaning were the whole winners.

I'm one of the persons that believes that a FPS can keep its view for all the possible actions in a game.
There is plenty of games that proved I wasn't wrong on this, because they have talented game designers and developers.

FreedomForever
6th Jun 2010, 09:18
Yes, it is; but I tried to get something of that kind and people almost agreed with.
I've made a subject about that before and the poll shown that FP cover and leaning were the whole winners.

I'm one of the persons that believes that a FPS can keep its view for all the possible actions in a game.
There is plenty of games that proved I wasn't wrong on this, because they have talented game designers and developers.

FPS leaning/cover is perhaps the #1 thing missing in most games today.

Medal of Honor Airborne pretty much proved you can do Leaning on the console without making the controls horrible.

I find it sad that games that used to have Lean like COD series and newer games don't have it.

Leaning would of been a great addition to DEHR....but o well I guess.

IOOI
6th Jun 2010, 21:57

Here it is. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91480)