PDA

View Full Version : IGN Article

maikkeey
4th Jun 2010, 21:31
Hey guys, been browsing this forum all day and haven't noticed anyone post this link yet

IGN Article (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077443p1.html)

Sorry if it's already been posted and discussed elsewhere but I thought it was worth a thread because of the following quotes it contains:

'Adam's surroundings help tell the Deus Ex story, but the tale will also have plenty of help from cinematic sequences, all of which are rendered in-game. We don't know exactly how many cutscenes will be in Human Revolution (or how long they will be). Belletete said simply, "There will be a lot. The game needs it."'

'Adam will see the world through an augmented reality system that uses ocular machines to project a heads-up display onto the environment, which happens to be Detroit in 2027. In Deus Ex's imagined future'

'Game Director Jean-Francois Dugas has said that a player can make his or her way through the entirety of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without killing a single person. Belletete added that players can also choose to not augment their bodies if they wish'

Anyway, I saw the trailer earlier and some of the discussions you guys have been having and I've gotta say that I'm really excited about this game now, just hoping that we get to see some in-game footage at E3 :)

El_Bel
4th Jun 2010, 21:38
Hey guys, been browsing this forum all day and haven't noticed anyone post this link yet
We don't know exactly how many cutscenes will be in Human Revolution (or how long they will be). Belletete said simply, "There will be a lot. The game needs it."'

These are terrible news :hmm:

The worst news since Health regeneration :hmm:

Blade_hunter
4th Jun 2010, 21:42
This game just look like to be a sequel for project snowblind !!
too much cutscenes in that game

Corpus
4th Jun 2010, 21:48
Maybe these cut scenes have the dialogue sections in them?

El_Bel
4th Jun 2010, 21:50
Or quick time events *puke*

Blade_hunter
4th Jun 2010, 22:03
*sigh*

MechBFP
4th Jun 2010, 22:25
OMG THE GAME IS GOING TO HAVE CUTSCENES JUST LIKE THE FIRST. EVERYONE COMMIT SEPPUKU!!!!

*facepalm* This is why I hate the internet some days.

EDIT: Anyway, since everyone else is spazzing out about the above for no reason, I would like to say that the fact that you can play through the entire game without augs is very curious. I wonder if they mean just not adding any AUGS (cosmetic choice) or if not getting ANY at all?

Irate_Iguana
4th Jun 2010, 22:29
EDIT: Anyway, since everyone else is spazzing out about the above for no reason, I would like to say that the fact that you can play through the entire game without augs is very curious. I wonder if they mean just not adding any AUGS (cosmetic choice) or if not getting ANY at all?

The article is old. That was confirmed to be false. Adam starts out with two mechanical arms, his integrated sunglasses and the hexagonal plate on his head. Maybe more but those are confirmed.

MechBFP
4th Jun 2010, 22:32
The article is old. That was confirmed to be false. Adam starts out with two mechanical arms, his integrated sunglasses and the hexagonal plate on his head. Maybe more but those are confirmed.

Good catch, I hadn't seen that article before and forgot to check the date.

Blade_hunter
4th Jun 2010, 22:37
The problem is the number of the cutscenes, not the fact they are like DX witch is a very positive point
If there is too much cutscenes that would break the game.

It's from march 2010 it's not that old or is there something wrong ?

Wunderbar_007
4th Jun 2010, 22:50
'game director jean-francois dugas has said that a player can make his or her way through the entirety of deus ex: Human revolution without killing a single person.

good

belletete added that players can also choose to not augment their bodies if they wish'

damn good!!

El_Bel
4th Jun 2010, 22:53
The first game didnt have cutscenes.

DemonNick
4th Jun 2010, 23:03
The first game didnt have cutscenes.
Other than at the very beginning and at the very end, yeah.

Tons of cutscenes is pretty worrying because it makes it sound like more dialogue and stuff will be handled that way, which means there's less stuff you can just kind of stumble on or overhear. While that disappeared pretty quickly in Deus Ex, when it did happen it was awesome.

demon boy
5th Jun 2010, 00:11
Maybe the reason there are a lot of cutscenes is that you won't see them all on any one play-through. Maybe there are cutscenes for different scenarios that can only be accessed based on the specific choices you make during the game.

Blade_hunter
5th Jun 2010, 00:41
That doesn't change many things DX had only a few amount of cutscenes and that was a real benefit.
A cutscene is basically non interactive, and their avoidance is a benefit for a game, which allow more gameplay.
And this is valuable for most games, I always found them intrusive and making the story into the gameplay is what any game needs.
If you want to kill the immersion go for cutscenes, I always hated that aspect in some games.

Romeo
5th Jun 2010, 04:09
Maybe these cut scenes have the dialogue sections in them?
I hope so.

Or quick time events *puke*
DOUBLE MASS PUKE-FEST.

Romeo
5th Jun 2010, 04:12
Hmm, "in-game" sequences. Does sound very promising now that I've re-read it. =P

hem dazon 90
6th Jun 2010, 09:49
oh boo-hoo. christ I leave for 3 months and everyone becomes an emo! and not the cool emo the gay emo

Blade_hunter
6th Jun 2010, 12:46
plenty of help from cinematic sequences, all of which are rendered in-game :)

Belletete said simply, "There will be a lot. The game needs it."'
:(

Thanks for watching

Ilves
6th Jun 2010, 13:00
I have absolutely no objection to relevant, well paced, well directed (looking at you, Kojima <_<) eye candy cutscenes. However the moment HR throws a QTE at me I will punch my screen.

beastrn
6th Jun 2010, 13:19
I hope so.

Why do you hope that all the dialogue is handled in cutscenes? Do you even understand the implications of such a system?

You just want talking, then level based action, then a cutscene, level based action - so on? Doesn't sound very Deus Ex to me.

hem dazon 90
6th Jun 2010, 20:44
"Cool emo" is an oxymoron.

I have evidence.

Blade_hunter
6th Jun 2010, 20:51
I have absolutely no objection to relevant, well paced, well directed (looking at you, Kojima <_<) eye candy cutscenes. However the moment HR throws a QTE at me I will punch my screen.

I hope there isn't any QTE; but nothing seems to confirm or even deny that fact.
Even if I have some doubts about their non presence.
Normally the game shouldn't have it.
To me and my fear is the over abuse of them, you seem to hate the fact that MGS4 had too much cutscenes, but the Belletete's comment is worrisome.
"There will be a lot, the game needs it."

singularity
6th Jun 2010, 20:57
DX had a TON of cutscenes. They were just in-game render and were used for important dialogue sections. Every time you don't have control of JC, that was a cutscene guys. Every time you had a dialogue choice, that was a cutscene. They were just in game render. Same with Mass Effect.

I don't see an issue here. So long as they are well done, I don't care. I haven't even seen any of them...

Blade_hunter
6th Jun 2010, 21:18
A cutscene is basically non interactive, that's not those conversations we could get in DX, the engine or non engine render doesn't change the fact they are cutscenes or not

Anasumtj
6th Jun 2010, 23:39
DX had a TON of cutscenes. They were just in-game render and were used for important dialogue sections. Every time you don't have control of JC, that was a cutscene guys. Every time you had a dialogue choice, that was a cutscene. They were just in game render. Same with Mass Effect.

I don't see an issue here. So long as they are well done, I don't care. I haven't even seen any of them...

I don't think those are what people are thinking of when they use the term "cutscene".

Way to put your head in the sand, brah.

Shralla
7th Jun 2010, 03:48
OMG THE GAME IS GOING TO HAVE CUTSCENES JUST LIKE THE FIRST. EVERYONE COMMIT SEPPUKU!!!!

Except there were literally ZERO cutscenes in the original Deus Ex, except for the VERY beginning and the VERY end.

Sulix
7th Jun 2010, 04:47
Actually dialogues are cutscenes. They take control of the game until the next dialogue branch has to be chosen. This is one thing I actually love about ME the way it's been done, and I hope this is the majority of DX3's cutscenes. Also, DX1 had a hell lot of cutscenes ( also dialogues between two NPCs, you not being involved directly, as I remember - not 100% sure though ).

Somehow I have the feeling, a lot of people over here have a quite ancient impression of cutscenes.

minus0ne
7th Jun 2010, 05:36

No, a cutscene is where the game stops being interactive and starts to imitate a different medium. If the game needs so many cutscenes, that just means they didn't bother trying to advance the story interactively.

Games are a completely different animal than film and television, and therefore developers should stop lazily aping these forms and find their own audiovisual language and grammar.

Badmaker
7th Jun 2010, 05:43
The problem is what the DXHR developer meant by cutscenes: many video clips showing the plot from another angle or just simple conversations with other NPC's ?

Angel-A
7th Jun 2010, 18:42
I thought the scenes involving Jock's heli flying off and such in-between levels were cutscenes.

Blade_hunter
7th Jun 2010, 19:34
And they are, but the game didn't featured that much of them.
At least you could even easily ignore them
In fact you have intro, endings and vehicles.