PDA

View Full Version : Who is she?!? (The Distressed One) - Megan Reed - Latest: related to Janice Reed?

jeanfoutsa
4th Jun 2010, 17:41
We all saw this amazing new trailer, right?

And since I've been wondering for a while if women will play an important role in DX: HR, this is really teasing me. Who is she?!? :confused:

Who is this woman who screams Adam's name in despair as he is being thrown out the window? Is she Adam's friend/coworker or girlfriend/wife? Were they even in a relationship before the game starts?

I think it would make Adam more human and the story even deeper if caught up in a big conspiracy, Adam was fighting for his life and the idea of reuniting with his loved one once again. :p

I find myself very interested in what you guys think about this. Do you have any assumption on who she is? Or maybe someone knows for sure.

Cheers. :)

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2145/pic1k.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8490/pic2so.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7439/pic3ee.jpg

Latest images (December 2010):

http://deusex.pl/photo.php?photo_id=244&full

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/941/meganreed.jpg

Kodaemon
4th Jun 2010, 17:47
It sure feels like she's someone important to Adam, love interest the most obvious answer. And that might be a problem. In a game like Deus Ex, so immersive it blurs the lines between you and the character you play, having a love interest imposed on you can create an uncomfortable dissonance, a rift.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jun 2010, 17:47
Great thread!

I can't see an engagement or wedding ring on her finger, so perhaps not a love interest.
She could be his sister... which would explain the intense emotion.

Sabretooth1
4th Jun 2010, 17:49
Well, it's a no-brainer that she's Adam's girlfriend. Now if she's his sister or mother, that'd be an original take. >_>

Looking at the shots individually though, it's hard to cross the uncanny valley here.

7h30n
4th Jun 2010, 17:49
Sister!

That would fit in perfectly!

JC had a brother, why not sister this time.

And it should spare us boring Final Fantasy-ish love interest story

Sabretooth1
4th Jun 2010, 17:53
Going on the sister angle, she does look a lot similar to Adam, if you compare the face structure...

Kodaemon
4th Jun 2010, 17:53
Looking at the shots individually though, it's hard to cross the uncanny valley here.

Meh, I find the same applies even to natural, live fotage. Pick a random frame of someone talking and there's a big chance it'll look awkward.

El_Bel
4th Jun 2010, 18:04
One thing is sure from those pics. We have a screamer here!

Corpus
4th Jun 2010, 18:05
I just realized, Barrett says "you'll never find em" and later Adam says "I'll never stop looking", could mean answers, could mean for her.

I don't see it
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2314/indafresh.jpg

Exian
4th Jun 2010, 18:07
I just realized, Barrett says "you'll never find em" and later Adam says "I'll never stop looking", could mean answers, could mean for her.

I don't see it
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2314/indafresh.jpg

No I think that's about the "people" who are "hiding in shadows, behind proxy soldiers", but I am not excluding your idea ;)

Shralla
4th Jun 2010, 18:12
I've been wondering for a while if women will play an important role in DX: HR

What does that even mean? Deus Ex is about humanity, not genders. =/

Sotsiak
4th Jun 2010, 18:23
Great thread!

I can't see an engagement or wedding ring on her finger, so perhaps not a love interest.
She could be his sister... which would explain the intense emotion.

Sometimes people wear the engangment ring on the right hand and the wedding on the left. And probably they haven't got married yet.

Maybe they are not engaged either.

It is 50/50 for now if its a girlfriend or a sister.

Shralla
4th Jun 2010, 18:28
Or maybe they're just bros. That would be a refreshing change of pace. A male/female friendship that ISN'T a sister OR a love interest.

Exian
4th Jun 2010, 18:35
Or maybe they're just bros. That would be a refreshing change of pace. A male/female friendship that ISN'T a sister OR a love interest.

I like it ;)

Sotsiak
4th Jun 2010, 18:41

Well, it is kinda possible but I wouldn't consider it.
Usually between 2 friends with opposite genders, that are very very close indeed (she is screaming like a *****), they just cannot stay just friends, you know.
Besided we have anime style and stuff.

Shralla
4th Jun 2010, 18:43
Usually between 2 friends with opposite genders, that are very very close indeed (she is screaming like a *****), they just cannot stay just friends, you know.

I do know, and I know that you're wrong. Just because YOU'RE incapable of separating your emotional channels doesn't mean everybody is. A few of my really close friends are women, and I know at least two of them would scream if I got thrown out a window.

Exian
4th Jun 2010, 18:45
Well, it is kinda possible but I wouldn't consider it.
Besided we have anime style and stuff.

True.. But still, it could be the case. I personally think it's his sister, since DX was never very luurv-based.

EDIT:
I do know, and I know that you're wrong. Just because YOU'RE incapable of separating your emotional channels doesn't mean everybody is. A few of my really close friends are women, and I know at least two of them would scream if I got thrown out a window.

LOL :D

Sotsiak
4th Jun 2010, 18:48

I understand, as I said it is kinda possible. Also you may be gay, who knows.
I am actually sure though, this is not the case.(about close friends)

Shralla
4th Jun 2010, 19:23
I understand, as I said it is kinda possible. Also you may be gay, who knows.
I am actually sure though, this is not the case.(about close friends)

You're operating on the assumption that the only way anybody could care enough about a person to want to yell as they're being thrown out a window while they're powerless to stop it is if they have some kind of romantic attachment going on. Some of us just love our friends, you know?

René
4th Jun 2010, 19:25
She's sorta kinda important to the game! Hehe! But I won't answer any of the questions! I know, I know, so frustrating! Tease.

Tecman
4th Jun 2010, 19:38
Hehe! But I won't answer any of the questions! I know, I know, so frustrating! Tease.

Then at least do this:

Go to the people who were responsible for the visual and audio design of what we've seen so far and congratulate them for a job well, well done.

Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics and tell them the forumites said "It's your turn to show us something". :)

Ashpolt
4th Jun 2010, 20:09
Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics, slap them and tell them they've got 5 minutes to get their things and leave before you release the hounds.

*Fixed.

Jerion
4th Jun 2010, 20:36
Then at least do this:

Go to the people who were responsible for the visual and audio design of what we've seen so far and congratulate them for a job well, well done.

Then go to the people who are designing gameplay mechanics and tell them the forumites said "It's your turn to show us something". :)

+1. Beat me to the post.

Dead-Eye
4th Jun 2010, 21:17
Then at least do this:

And say it in a voice like Adam or JC.

On topic:

Having a sister would be a cool twist. Deus Ex needs some sort of emotional attachment character so that you get the impression that you have a family. I remember Warren said once that the development team didn't like the whole brother/family factor and they wanted to dump it. But Warren said that it had to be there. Thinking about it now that whole sub plot with Paul is one of my favorite moment's in Deus Ex.

If it's a love interest, well I'm down (I was the one to post the idea in the first place.) , but I have a feeling that it would be much harder to pull a love interest off in a Deus Ex game over a sister. In order for it to work the player needs to feel attached to the character and getting attached to Paul was easy because form the vary get go you have an understanding that you two are related, you are family. Romance is something that is a lot harder to pull off. Not saying it can't be done but the character in question would need to make a lot of effort to win the affection of the player. Something that is going to be easier on male players then female players. Logically this character (like so many in Deus Ex) is going to live or die based on the action's of the player, and if the character can't get the player to at lest try and save their life, then it was all for nothing.

Really at this point the big question is can EM pull it off?

El_Bel
4th Jun 2010, 21:23
Short answer? No.

Long answer? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Irate_Iguana
4th Jun 2010, 21:28
If it's a love interest, well I'm down (I was the one to post the idea in the first place.) , but I have a feeling that it would be much harder to pull a love interest off in a Deus Ex game over a sister.

Interest based on family ties is easy. You know from the get-go where you stand. The bond is familiar and logical. Most people can relate to the family angle. even a badly written character or an annoying character would be accepted as important to Adam. Most of us have family we don't really like, but who are still important.

If you give Adam a girlfriend or a wife it is much harder. Players want to understand why Adam would like that person. Just stating outright that he cares is not enough for the players. If the character is underdeveloped people don't care. If the character is annoying people don't care for different reasons. Much harder to get right.

Dead-Eye
4th Jun 2010, 21:40
Remember in the trailer when the guy who was fixing Adam said something about the body will heal but the mind is not so resilient? Maybe Adam starts the game with amnesia, and completely forgets why he loved this girl.

KSingh77
4th Jun 2010, 21:51
Who is she?

She's the girl Adam is suppose to save from the big evil guys,just think of it as the Deus Ex version of Mario.

Blond princess gets kidnapped,Italian plumber saves the day!Expect Adam is carrying a big blade.

Lets hope Bowser doesn't run into him.

Corpus
4th Jun 2010, 21:52
Remember in the trailer when the guy who was fixing Adam said something about the body will heal but the mind is not so resilient? Maybe Adam starts the game with amnesia, and completely forgets why he loved this girl.

I think he means how he copes with what has happened.

Nyysjan
4th Jun 2010, 22:40
I like romance subplots ingames, the more fleshed out they are the better.
But i don't like when i get shoehorned into having to watch my gamecharacter having a romance with preselected npc who most likely will be the most annoying character in the game (they almost always are).
I prefer my romance subplots optional, and multiple choice.

So hopefully she will be
A: a simple coworker (shouting for Adam as it's his job to save her neck)
B: simple friend in a platonic sense (and worried that she's never going to see that 20 bucks she loaned Adam last week)

Anyway, she seems such a basic blonde distressed damsel in need of saving that i just can't seem to muster any interest towards her, let alone caring.
Seriously, i'm far more interested about the woman of who we only saw her augmented but for a few seconds before she stealthed.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jun 2010, 22:44
Anyway, she seems such a basic blonde distressed damsel in need of saving that i just can't seem to muster any interest towards her, let alone caring....

I'm sure you will end up caring:

She's sorta kinda important to the game! Hehe! But I won't answer any of the questions! I know, I know, so frustrating! Tease.

Shadowdagger
4th Jun 2010, 22:46
Who is she?

She's the girl Adam is suppose to save from the big evil guys,just think of it as the Deus Ex version of Mario.

Blond princess gets kidnapped,Italian plumber saves the day!Expect Adam is carrying a big blade.

Lets hope Bowser doesn't run into him.

*imagines DX:HR as a Hotel Mario version*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv_DXqdC9k

*shudders*

FrankCSIS
5th Jun 2010, 00:22
Interest based on family ties is easy. You know from the get-go where you stand. The bond is familiar and logical. Most people can relate to the family angle. even a badly written character or an annoying character would be accepted as important to Adam. Most of us have family we don't really like, but who are still important.

I'd like to see complex family ties as written by George R R Martin in a game, for a change. Trust me it wouldn't be easy to accept or relate to those characters, and doing so could prove deadly, or at the very least extremely ambiguous. Forget the "save your beloved father from the wasteland" plot :p

Gaunt88
5th Jun 2010, 00:41
The first thing I assumed was that she was just a co-worker, and she was just as much screaming for Adam to save her butt as she was scared for his life. "The security cheif just got pwn'd, I'm screwed!"

Dead-Eye
5th Jun 2010, 02:24
Nothing about her actions seem out of the ordinary to me, I believe she is a researcher or an assistant of some type and I seriously doubt MJ12 commandos (or whoever) braking into her workplace is something that happens to her on a daily bases. As such there really isn't enough info to judge her character on at this point in time, other then she obviously dose not start the game with combat experience.

All we know is "She's sorta kinda important to the game!" and that she seems to hopelessly run after Adam when he is thrown out a window, that she probably thinks is going to kill him.

Who knows if we will like her or not. Or what she dose. Maybe she is the lead researcher?

Nyysjan
5th Jun 2010, 10:00
I'm sure you will end up caring:
Ofcourse i will care about her, i will also care about locked doors and how much ammo i have.
But if a "kinda important" character becomes only an obstacle to be bypassed or to get over with as fast as possible then the character has failed.
I didn't like Walton Simmons or Bob Page, but i did enjoy the time i spent with them (including the part where i blew Simmons up with GEP gun), same for Anna and Gunther, the times i spent interracting with them were some of the best ingame, not something i wanted to get past asap so i might do something more interesting.

Nah, not frustrating at all, atleast not to me, apart from the worry that she might end up as a horrible cliche character in equally horrible romance subplot.

So, hopefully not just a damsel in distress, hopefully not a girlfriend/wife/lover, hopefully not a sister.
And if there is any romance subplots (i hope there will be), then i hope i can either bypass them, or atleast choose from multiple possible love interests (i hate in when characters i play are shoehorned into romancing characters i either don't care about, or worse, actively hate).

Angel-A
5th Jun 2010, 14:49
*imagines DX:HR as a Hotel Mario version*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv_DXqdC9k

*shudders*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7bYKI3L9A

I'm voting she's a sister or close friend/co-worker.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jun 2010, 14:53
I'm voting she's a sister or close friend/co-worker.

Yes, seems logical seeing as we know she plays an important role in the game.

El_Bel
5th Jun 2010, 15:30
The first scene we see her was before Adam had his accident and maybe during the attack. That means that she is an employee of Sarif!

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 15:52
I'm betting she's responsible for all the bad things in his life. Hell, I have a feeling she probably gnawed off his arms herself.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jun 2010, 15:54
I'm betting she's responsible for all the bad things in his life. Hell, I have a feeling she probably gnawed off his arms herself.

LOL at gnawing off his arms. :D
Anyway, I think you must be thinking of the 'other she'?

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 16:07
She's just playing the damsel in distress in the trailer. It's all a subterfuge... a manipulation to infuse Jensen with wild craziness.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jun 2010, 16:09
She's just playing the damsel in distress in the trailer. It's all a subterfuge... a manipulation to infuse Jensen with wild craziness.

There's no fooling you!
Pinky for President!! :cool:

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 16:20
There's no fooling you!
Pinky for President!! :cool:

I'd fall perfectly within the noble presidential legacy too, as I'm a degenerate pervert and long-time substance abuser.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jun 2010, 16:22
I'd fall perfectly within the noble presidential legacy too, as I'm a degenerate pervert and long-time substance abuser.

Yes, I thought as much! :naughty:

Rodik
5th Jun 2010, 16:23
*Fixed.

Ashpolt - probably the best post i've seen in a while =)
pat yourself on the back on my behalf.

ChrisVCB
5th Jun 2010, 18:11
OK call me crazy, but here is what i'm thinking. JC and Pauls 'parents' were killed....right.....right?

What if.....Sarif was an illuminati owned corp - Adam and mysterious women are thier 'parents'. Riots, everyone fighting for power - MJ12 comes and throws Adam out the window, takes away the 'mother', and takes custody of the children (Paul and JC). "You'll never find them!" ........... them?

Think about it. Sarif is a leading augmentation company - in the DX world that means that somehow it has to be linked with a larger, shadowy organisation. The guy who throws him out the window appears to have an augmented arm of some kind, so they're someone with some sort of access to that kind of thing. I'd even wager a bet that Adams DNA is involved in the creation of JC and Paul.

Ilves
5th Jun 2010, 18:18
^ (Note that in the trailer Adam isn't thrown out of a window, but rather through the orange display in the lab area.)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/dxnew.jpg

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 18:39
^ (Note that in the trailer Adam isn't thrown out of a window, but rather through the orange display in the lab area.)

After which he trips over his own feet and tumbles out a window. The fall is so frightening his arms release from his shoulders and abandon him to his fate. And they join up with a wholesome flock of white gulls and head for a more tropical climate.

PerfectTear
5th Jun 2010, 18:45
Okay here is my take on the story.:D
I would say she is probaly his gilfriend, who he fall in love while he was asigned to guard her. She is probaly one of the important scientist that is leading the words research on augmentations, so she's important enough to have a personal bodyguard, most likely Adam.
Then the bad guys come, who want to kidnap all the research scientist (knowledge is power) and use them and their knowledge for their own good(evil), or to just stop them from their research(depends on who are the bad guys). The scientists and the girl get kidnaped and he gets knocked out and later turned into an cyborg. So now his goal is to find the mising scientists and that girl, and he vows to never stop loking for them. He eventualy saves her and later on we find out that Adam and this female scientist (a perfect gene poll match) are actualy JC's and Pauls parents ^ ^

Ilves
5th Jun 2010, 18:57
After which he trips over his own feet and tumbles out a window.

That's our Adam. Jeebus, Pinks, whatever you're on, I want some.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jun 2010, 19:19
The two 'who is... she' threads is confusing. So I tweaked titles accordingly.

K^2
5th Jun 2010, 19:38
Jeebus, Pinks, whatever you're on, I want some.
I've been bugging him about that for months. He's not sharing.

Pinky_Powers
5th Jun 2010, 19:47
I've been bugging him about that for months. He's not sharing.

It's not that I don't wanna share. It's just... limited supplies... unnatural appetite... a dark and evil beast that rears its savage head whenever it's even suggested that I share. ...leave me alone! :mad:

Dead-Eye
5th Jun 2010, 23:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7bYKI3L9A

lol, someone has a lot of free time on there hands.

DON_The_Grey
6th Jun 2010, 02:16
[QUOTE=Angel-A;1409216]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7bYKI3L9A

AWESOME :)

Sabretooth1
6th Jun 2010, 03:39
After which he trips over his own feet and tumbles out a window. The fall is so frightening his arms release from his shoulders and abandon him to his fate. And they join up with a wholesome flock of white gulls and head for a more tropical climate.

"You'll never find them!"
"I'll never stop looking."

Holy ****, Pinky. You've cracked the conspiracy already!

DarknessKnight
6th Jun 2010, 04:15
Shes probably his girlfriend and shes dead, his employer convinced him that it was the terrorists when it was in truth his own men that killed her for some dark secret the company wouldnt allow to give away, and as a bonus, they got Adam, turned him and made him his personall sweeper out of revenge.

My 5 cents :P

hem dazon 90
6th Jun 2010, 08:17
maybe they are just friends.

I mean I have tons of friends who are female

Sotsiak
6th Jun 2010, 08:20
Enough of your womanish whining. She is Adam's b itch.. period!

Cryotank
6th Jun 2010, 09:45
I think she is his granma! :) Cmon guys, dont you think its a little bit stupid to discuss this? We will know when the game is realeased.

Pinky_Powers
6th Jun 2010, 10:04
But if we figure out all the mysteries before the game is even released we are awarded a complimentary hand-job from the Moderator of our choice.

With incentives like that, can you really pretend to be surprised by the vigor of our curiosity?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2010, 12:15
But if we figure out all the mysteries before the game is even released we are awarded a complimentary hand-job from the Moderator of our choice.

With incentives like that, can you really pretend to be surprised by the vigor of our curiosity?

Hehe, you mean hand-job as in "hovering above the ban button". :naughty:

Algarys
6th Jun 2010, 12:29
When you go to the imdb page of Deus Ex : HR, a woman called "Megan" is in the credits, right after Adam.
As she seems to be important, this might be her name...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1319708/

(Gosh, Toufexis is cute :3)

MaxxQ1
6th Jun 2010, 12:49
When you go to the imdb page of Deus Ex : HR, a woman called "Megan" is in the credits, right after Adam.

And I'll add that all the ladies are nice-looking as well (although I'm probably no less than twice their individual ages).

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2010, 13:33
Shes probably his girlfriend and shes dead, his employer convinced him that it was the terrorists when it was in truth his own men that killed her for some dark secret the company wouldnt allow to give away, and as a bonus, they got Adam, turned him and made him his personall sweeper out of revenge.

So...Adam is Darth Vader?

Irate_Iguana
6th Jun 2010, 13:36
So...Adam is Darth Vader?

He'd be better at it than that whiny sack of **** we had in the prequels.

Pinky_Powers
6th Jun 2010, 13:37
Hehe, you mean hand-job as in "hovering above the ban button". :naughty:

What a frightfully auspicious thought! :eek:

El_Bel
6th Jun 2010, 14:23
Well in trailer we have an Darth Adam creation scene!

Check this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqYBKZRg5I#t=1m47s

and then this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSPSGj5EwM#t=1m21s

FrankCSIS
6th Jun 2010, 14:27
It all makes sense now! They are doing what all star wars fans wanted to do after watching the prequels, re-visit the movies with a better story!

Come to think of it, the whole Vader theme has always been about loosing his humanity the more machine he became, running in parallel with his falling for the darker path. It was more than hinted at in the originals, too, especially when Luke gets his arm, and later in Return focuses on his father's robotic arm after cutting it. Of course, there is the direct quote "he's more machine than man now".

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2010, 16:02
What a frightfully auspicious thought! :eek:

I know... and don't you just love it! :p

Pinky_Powers
6th Jun 2010, 16:11
I'm a fan of all things auspicious. Not to mention frightful.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2010, 20:14
Yes, and I hope this game gives you all that.

singularity
7th Jun 2010, 03:13
Maybe my morbid side is coming out a bit here, but I would actually like to see this lady be someone Adam was close to who dies in the opening scenes, and he's powerless to stop it. I suppose it would help explain a more jaded and calloused Adam, who has the motivation to get to the botom of things.

All that violence in the streets, all the talk on the TV about how things are circling the drain -- what if it sort of came up and bit Adam on the ass and gave him a reason to care, rather than sit at home and drink whisky and watch television?

I wouldn't mind a love interest if done properly... but I'd rather it just be a fallen comrade or deceased love interest.

Pinky_Powers
7th Jun 2010, 03:23
Maybe my morbid side is coming out a bit here, but I would actually like to see this lady be someone Adam was close to who dies in the opening scenes, and he's powerless to stop it. I suppose it would help explain a more jaded and calloused Adam, who has the motivation to get to the botom of things.

All that violence in the streets, all the talk on the TV about how things are circling the drain -- what if it sort of came up and bit Adam on the ass and gave him a reason to care, rather than sit at home and drink whisky and watch television?

I wouldn't mind a love interest if done properly... but I'd rather it just be a fallen comrade or deceased love interest.

It's a fine motivation indeed, but a hugely clichéd and overused one. This is the number one story element bad writers use to get the ball rolling.

I think it'd be much more interesting if a billygoat was relentlessly chasing him into the heart of the conspiracy. Every plot twist and engaging moment comes about as Jensen strives to keep that wicked creature away from his secret places.

Corpus
7th Jun 2010, 04:07
We don't want another revenge story on our hands, it's overused.

singularity
7th Jun 2010, 04:24
I'm not necessarily talking about another "revenge plot" here -- just an example of how the horrors of the current world (might have) caught up with Adam first hand. If these thugs came into his place of work, hurt him bad enough that he needed new arms, etc, I'm guessing a lot of his co-workers died in the process, and he had to watch as it happened. It's just something I would like to see explored more, rather than thrown to the wayside, like a lot of games do (Dead Space being a recent example -- I know that if my coworkers committed suicide, were infected by an alien scourge, horribly disfigured and reanimated, and I was forced to dismember them limb from limb while they tried to hack my up in order to save my own life, I wouldn't be the same guy at the end of it. This happens about 500 times in Dead Space, and you only give a rat's ass about the very last necromorph you see...). I don't want Adam to travel around the world avenging the death of some loved one or a friend -- but rather an explanation as to why he seems so serious and hardened. I want to see someone who didn't just lose his arms, but is perhaps damaged psychologicly -- which would fit well with the line about the mind not always being as reseliant as the body...

Irate_Iguana
7th Jun 2010, 06:49
ut rather an explanation as to why he seems so serious and hardened. I want to see someone who didn't just lose his arms, but is perhaps damaged psychologicly -- which would fit well with the line about the mind not always being as reseliant as the body...

If someone hurt me bad enough that I'd need new arms, eyes, part of my skull and god know what else you'd be certain that I'd be a tad miffed. You can bet waking up and finding out you're suddenly more metal than flesh would damage almost anyone who didn't specifically ask for it. Honestly, I doubt Adam really needs more motivation to hunt down people. Sure, losing people close to him wouldn't help his cause, but it is not like he is lacking in motivation.

luminar
8th Jun 2010, 21:35

I agree wholey. Male/Female friendships always incorporate a sexual/romantic element in todays media even if it never becomes anything. We need more penny and sheldon style freindships protrayed in media. I'd really like to see a story where someone try's to save a friend of the opposite sex not because their interested in them, but because their friends. Or perhaps a story where a young boy has pure mentor/apprentice relationship with a female warrior and try's to emulate her strength. Something which is highly unlikley to happen.

Pinky_Powers
9th Jun 2010, 00:39
I agree wholey. Male/Female friendships always incorporate a sexual/romantic element in todays media even if it never becomes anything. We need more penny and sheldon style freindships protrayed in media. I'd really like to see a story where someone try's to save a friend of the opposite sex not because their interested in them, but because their friends. Or perhaps a story where a young boy has pure mentor/apprentice relationship with a female warrior and try's to emulate her strength. Something which is highly unlikley to happen.

You should learn some psychology. There's always a sexual element to inter-gender relationships. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2010, 17:07

This is interesting, thank you.
I see Mélanie and Michelle have done much tv work and also voiced in ACII and SC:C respectively. Scarlett Li appears to be a relative newcomer to the business - so this game could be a big break for her. :)

MaxxQ1
14th Jun 2010, 17:52

This is interesting, thank you.

Megan's name cropped up in the new addition to the PCGamer article quoted elsewhere. One of these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5AnAFfxRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KktWTc_Z40

has a screenshot (or concept art) that the guy talking says was named "Megan Office".

I don't recall seeing the shot elsewhere, so it was new to me, but it looked like she may be one of the researchers at Sarif. Possibly the one that goes out the window in the trailer?

K.Karisma
14th Jun 2010, 17:53
I haven't read through this entire thread (up to the Rene post) but wanted to say this.
A love interest in a Deus Ex game -for me- not interested. Don't want to be fighting to get a kidnapped love interest/sister/mother back, boring, overused, doesn't come across Deus Ex-esque.

Ilves
14th Jun 2010, 17:55
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8490/pic2so.jpg

She looks like a Megan to me. As nice as she looks, I hope she's not a love interest, she looks in every way designed not to intimidate 15 year olds. :rolleyes:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2010, 18:06
Origin and Meaning of Megan:

Origin: Greek (Root: Margaret)
Meaning: A Pearl

Golden ratio reference perhaps? The flawless design in the nautilus mollusc shell contains the golden ratio and houses the pearl within.

Algarys
14th Jun 2010, 18:57
@MyImmortal : That a nice analysis. Oo
Still, referring to the golden ratio would be a little too much... I mean, if it’s just to do a meaning related to renaissance and art…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KktWTc_Z40

On the second video of PC Gamer, around 01:57 there is a close-up of a wall where there is a picture of a COUPLE. And we are in Adam’s apartment. And, the man on the right quite looks like Adam to me, (than, I guess, it can be my imagination uh).

So… there might be some kind of bad romance here… rororomama…

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2010, 20:29
@MyImmortal : That a nice analysis. Oo
Still, referring to the golden ratio would be a little too much... I mean, if it’s just to do a meaning related to renaissance and art…

Yes, but what else?
It runs deeper than that. Much deeper!

In the earlier fetus trailer, remember the Deus Ex 3 logo decrypting itself? A number appears in 4 consecutive frames from 1.61803396 to 1.61803399. The last figure being the Golden Ratio, afaik... but I'm not hot with anything to do with numbers. :o

Do you think this might be relevant?

Throughout the trailer we have seen other references to the golden ratio in Da Vinci's drawings and other anatomy diagrams.

K.Karisma
14th Jun 2010, 23:15
Yes, but what else?

In the earlier fetus trailer, remember the Deus Ex 3 logo decrypting itself? A number appears in 4 consecutive frames from 1.61803396 to 1.61803399. The last figure being the Golden Ratio, afaik... but I'm not hot with anything to do with numbers. :o

Throughout the trailer we have seen other references to the golden ratio in Da Vinci's drawings and other anatomy diagrams.

I think this could be very relevant. Maybe with advances in technology at the time, people are searching for perfection (the Golden Ratio) through augmentation, something we can relate to now with the advances (or what could be seen as the opposite) in plastic surgery etc. Kind of makes me think of Bioshocks populace, and maybe references to people possibly visiting ''back-alley'' augmentation clinics in DXHR, could be an underlying theme. Especially if at the time the game takes places, augs are constrained, whether through availability or financial reasons, to the wealthy and powerful.

Sagamo
14th Jun 2010, 23:31
I'm sure Adam and Megan are JC and Paul's real parents and the end of the game will be something dramatic like JC and Paul being adopted through some kind of conspiratic fraud

MaxxQ1
15th Jun 2010, 07:14
On the second video of PC Gamer, around 01:57 there is a close-up of a wall where there is a picture of a COUPLE. And we are in Adam’s apartment. And, the man on the right quite looks like Adam to me, (than, I guess, it can be my imagination uh).

So… there might be some kind of bad romance here… rororomama…

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I thought they looked a little older, and thought the pic might be of his parents.

Pinky_Powers
15th Jun 2010, 15:41
Yeah, I saw that as well, but I thought they looked a little older, and thought the pic might be of his parents.

The picture probably came with the frame.

MaxxQ1
15th Jun 2010, 15:58
The picture probably came with the frame.

I'm going to have to put you on ignore. You're costing me a fortune in keyboards and monitors after spraying soda all over them.

mad_red
15th Jun 2010, 19:54
Yes, but what else?

Oooh ooh, those kinds of little references are GOLD! (excuse me). Good find, too.
Quick google says:

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/~schubert/Course-Teaching-modules/A08-Fibonacci-series-and-Golden-Ratio.pdf

Among other things, there is a common growth pattern in which the sizes of additional units are
governed by a proportionality relationship to units that have been formed earlier. The same golden ratio
that appears as a rectangle in human constructs often is expressed in nature forms as an elegant spiral. The
chambered nautilus expresses this principle as it outgrows its old "living quarters" and sequentially builds
roomier ones in a spiral pattern whose dimensions are determined by the golden ratio. When a new
apartment is finished, the animal crawls into it and slams the door on the old one with a lid of mother-of-pearl.
The old chambers are then used for flotation.

Here's a peekture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/0/08/20090122142711!NautilusCutawayLogarithmicSpiral.jpg

Not all that is pearly is perfectly round. ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Jun 2010, 20:33
^
Thanks. I'm more intrigued now.

luminar
16th Jun 2010, 23:17
You should learn some psychology. There's always a sexual element to inter-gender relationships. :)

I know some psychology and because of that I disagree. This is outdated and sexist. Even if there is ALWAYS a sexual element it CAN be so miniscule that it is irrelevant.

El_Bel
16th Jun 2010, 23:43
http://meganandadam.net/

You guys are slow!

chechof
16th Jun 2010, 23:59
She could be his sister and co-worker i mean as i understood it the history so far says that adam was attacked when he was working or something like that by terrorists i think? So she could be a woman in any relationship with adam and still he's co-worker and then they got attacked and almost killed adam then killed the important woman :Q i dont know.

I WNAT THIS GAMESO BAD.

Srry my tourettes.

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2010, 00:07
I know some psychology and because of that I disagree. This is outdated and sexist. Even if there is ALWAYS a sexual element it CAN be so miniscule that it is irrelevant.

Have it your way. You're only fooling yourself.

luminar
25th Jun 2010, 15:50
Have it your way. You're only fooling yourself.

I accept that men and woman will always have some sort of subconsious sexual feelings or thoughts but that doesn't mean a man and a woman can't just be friends. I once heard someone say that if a man is friends with a girl it's only so he can get in her pant's or pursue a romantic relationship. I disagree thoroughly due to first hand experience and observations.

3rdmillhouse
25th Jun 2010, 16:05

He's talking about PTSD. Post traumatic stress disorder.

Pinky_Powers
25th Jun 2010, 16:06
I accept that men and woman will always have some sort of subconsious sexual feelings or thoughts but that doesn't mean a man and a woman can't just be friends. I once heard someone say that if a man is friends with a girl it's only so he can get in her pant's or pursue a romantic relationship. I disagree thoroughly due to first hand experience and observations.

Good god, man! I said "psychology", not whoreface mutant jocks. :) Of course you can be platonic friends with someone of the opposite sex. But one of you, or both, will have feelings of a sexual nature on some level. And those feelings always make for good drama.

luminar
25th Jun 2010, 17:15
Good god, man! I said "psychology", not whoreface mutant jocks. :) Of course you can be platonic friends with someone of the opposite sex. But one of you, or both, will have feelings of a sexual nature on some level. And those feelings always make for good drama.

Lol! Awsome! Aha well I guess I misunderstood or misinterpreted.

Danjun
25th Jun 2010, 19:14
Possibly a love relation, could be a normal friendship relationship. Could be sister, but not mother.

P.S; Guys, Adam doesn't mean "I'll find them" by her, just watch the trailer again and see what Adam's boss say. He's talking about finding THEM.

pringlepower
25th Jun 2010, 21:46
Possibly a love relation, could be a normal friendship relationship. Could be sister, but not mother.

P.S; Guys, Adam doesn't mean "I'll find them" by her, just watch the trailer again and see what Adam's boss say. He's talking about finding THEM.

Maybe she... is them
Conspiracy!

ChfMojoRising
25th Jun 2010, 21:48
La Li Lu Le Lo! La Li Lu Le Lo! La Li Lu Le Lo!
Woops, wrong conspiracy lol

KSingh77
25th Jun 2010, 22:06
Lets hope Adam isn't alone in this daring mission to rescue the distrssed blonde.

Adam:Mario!Where ever you are,YEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 01:58

You need to learn how trailers work. One line does not usually have any real connection with the next line. It's all just out of context gibberish that is supposed to sound exciting. Adam could be talking about his boots there, but you put him behind Sarif yammering on about conspirators, and Adam sounds all badass and heroic. ...really, he just needs something to put on his feet.

jtr7
26th Jun 2010, 04:08
Exactly.

And words and images in trailers aren't always seen in the final product, either.

Pinky_Powers
26th Jun 2010, 05:03
Exactly.

And words and images in trailers aren't always seen in the final product, either.

Quite true. And sometimes the footage is 100% filmed just for the trailer, like one of the early King Kong previews Peter Jackson released. The entire scene they showed was filmed solely as a teaser for the movie.

The Human Revolution trailer stands utterly apart from the game. The designs, concepts and story elements are directly from the final product, but not a single frame of the trailer will be seen in-game.

Sirviani
26th Jun 2010, 08:54
She's someone who saw the final product and started running away, but Eidos sent a guard to prevent her escape.

jtr7
26th Jun 2010, 09:00
Ho hooo, man. Eidos was wise to not want to release any gameplay footage. Six months from now, will we even see the same things first hand? Is ScrewAttack gonna get in trouble?

JablesKage
26th Jun 2010, 09:21
GF/wife no but sister or relative is a big yes

jkruse
26th Jun 2010, 10:12
Eh, my personal impression is that she was a scientist entrusted to his protection, possibly to her personally or a group, in either case a person he works with regularly but not necessarily good friends or a love interest. We don't really know how many he was supposed to be protecting during the attack, it could have been just her. The only thing that can really be inferred from the trailer is that she likely works with Adam regularly, enough to be on a first name basis.

luminar
26th Jun 2010, 15:38
Eh, my personal impression is that she was a scientist entrusted to his protection, possibly to her personally or a group, in either case a person he works with regularly but not necessarily good friends or a love interest. We don't really know how many he was supposed to be protecting during the attack, it could have been just her. The only thing that can really be inferred from the trailer is that she likely works with Adam regularly, enough to be on a first name basis.

I like this idea! It would allow you to be in control of how the relationship develops. I hope that if she turns out to be some kind of love interest it has to be started by you. For example she should never flirt with you unless the player show's an interest from there it could develop into a relationship. I hate when games force a love interest on you. Partly because I usually end up leading them on not purposefully but because I'm just too nice and I dont want to hurt their feelings. (I know, I have issues.) Like in mass effect 2 All the girls were in love with me and then I was forced to choose one of em and hurt all the others, especially jack! (Not a good idea!)

Mean Machine
27th Jun 2010, 13:49
Maybe she's the chopper pilot and we get to save her like we could save Jock. They show a glimpse of the pilot in the gameplay footage but looks like that video has mysteriously disappeared. :rasp:

The guy's profile pic who voices Adam looks kinda like him, even has a gotie going there.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Nov 2010, 22:56
Update.
Seems we have confirmation of what role she plays:

While recovering the kidnapped niece of the founder of Sarif Industries, Jensen unstitches a mystery that goes all the way back to his fully human SWAT origins in Detroit – and an adventure of violence and betrayal that will span the globe!

So, we can take it that her name is probably Megan Sarif.

Source: http://www.dccomics.com/wildstorm/comics/?cm=17024
Deus Ex Comic, Written by ROBBIE MORRISON; Art by TREVOR HAIRSINE; Cover by JIM MURRAY.

IOOI
28th Nov 2010, 23:01
Yeah, I had seen it posted in the SA forums.
(I thougth it was known by now.)

rokstrombo
29th Nov 2010, 02:21
I hate when games force a love interest on you. Partly because I usually end up leading them on not purposefully but because I'm just too nice and I dont want to hurt their feelings. (I know, I have issues.)

:lol:

[FGS]Shadowrunner
29th Nov 2010, 04:31
I think it is unrequited love, he's got a penchant for her and that's why he's never going to stop looking.
The way he says it in the trailer, is like a sense of responsibility, rather than duty.

I did think at one point that Megan Sarif was going to be in the same situation as Adam, and after augmentation surgery to save her life from the fall, she becomes Fedorova. A bit like Resident Evil, the couple in the lab and the flashbacks of a relationship or bond that is no more.

Rindill the Red
29th Nov 2010, 06:12
Shadowrunner;1530289']I think it is unrequited love, he's got a penchant for her and that's why he's never going to stop looking.
The way he says it in the trailer, is like a sense of responsibility, rather than duty.

I did think at one point that Megan Sarif was going to be in the same situation as Adam, and after augmentation surgery to save her life from the fall, she becomes Fedorova. A bit like Resident Evil, the couple in the lab and the flashbacks of a relationship or bond that is no more.

??????? WHAT?

Megan:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Forum_Moderator/DEUS%20EX/dxhr_coworker-2.jpg

Fedorova:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Forum_Moderator/DEUS%20EX/fedorova.jpg

She'd have to go reverse-Michael Jackson on us.

mentalkase
29th Nov 2010, 07:16
??????? WHAT?

Megan:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Forum_Moderator/DEUS%20EX/dxhr_coworker-2.jpg

Fedorova:
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Forum_Moderator/DEUS%20EX/fedorova.jpg

She'd have to go reverse-Michael Jackson on us.

They tied her down and forced her to use a sunlamp! No wonder she's become warped and evil.

Just thought i'd edit this post and add that they look absolutely nothing alike, apart from the whole black/white issue.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
29th Nov 2010, 07:36
Yes well, now we have all seen a picture of both... I thought this was the office worker.

I still say it's unrequited love, he was going to tell her Dad, but...

So how did Fedherover lose her legs then...

3rdmillhouse
29th Nov 2010, 15:08
Fedorova looks freakier than Lady Gaga.

Esnuk
29th Nov 2010, 15:13
Recently I red in an interview (I can't find now) that Megan is Adam's Ex girlfriend, but take it carefully as every speculation may be false, obviously.
And the fact that the interview underlines the character with an "Ex" it doesn't mean she left Adam 'cuase it would be hard (:D) but more believeable because she die, because, even if she would be kidnapped wouldn't be ex, 'cause in every story that ends well would return to her boy and would not be ex anymore sooooo.... my theory is that she is been killed in the raid, (ALTHOUGH!) the storyline says that EVERYone Adam should have protect dies, even the people close to him psicologically like Megan.

Jerion
29th Nov 2010, 15:41
Update.
Seems we have confirmation of what role she plays:

So, we can take it that her name is probably Megan Sarif.

Source: http://www.dccomics.com/wildstorm/comics/?cm=17024
Deus Ex Comic, Written by ROBBIE MORRISON; Art by TREVOR HAIRSINE; Cover by JIM MURRAY.

I thought that description applied to the comic book, not the game.

JaqTaar
29th Nov 2010, 16:08
The German voice samples mention a Megan Reed:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=114337

Assuming the comic's summary is not talking about the kidnapping of someone else, it'd seem she's not only a coworker and possible love interest, but also the niece of his employer?

Dead-Eye
30th Nov 2010, 00:50
Or they could say she's his Ex-girlfriend because she dumps him when she finds out he's been augmented. To which the player can ether, not care or try and rekindle.

However they said Adam was hired by his ex-girlfriend. This might imply she was his ex before he even started working at Serif.

I wonder why they broke up.

FrankCSIS
30th Nov 2010, 01:57
I wonder why they broke up.

She asked him to shave his beard.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
30th Nov 2010, 02:00
She'd seen the threads on Eidos about it...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Dec 2010, 16:23
Credit to nexus for finding these new images:

http://deusex.pl/photo.php?photo_id=244&full

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/941/meganreed.jpg

And her name is Megan Reed, not Megan Sarif. I've edited the thread title.

Pretentious Old Man.
5th Dec 2010, 16:32
She's not bad looking, is she?

WildcatPhoenix
5th Dec 2010, 16:40
Oooh, that looks like a cool glass-pane elevator, does it not? One with a nice panoramic view of the city below. Good stuff.

Rindill the Red
5th Dec 2010, 18:03
Oooh, that looks like a cool glass-pane elevator, does it not? One with a nice panoramic view of the city below. Good stuff.

Also extremely exposed to sniper fire from any number of buildings... form over function as always :/

Megan Reed, niece of David Sarif. So David Sarif's sister married a Reed and had Megan. Any relation to Janice Reed? Probably not.

As to her appearance... meh... kinda horse-facey.

singularity
5th Dec 2010, 20:00
Also extremely exposed to sniper fire from any number of buildings... form over function as always :/

Megan Reed, niece of David Sarif. So David Sarif's sister married a Reed and had Megan. Any relation to Janice Reed? Probably not.

As to her appearance... meh... kinda horse-facey.

It's still a place of business. Windows and natural sunlight = more productive workers. Also, seeing as how it is an elevator, not an essential structure and not a location that could house more than 10 people, it would hardly be logical to make it impervious to sniper fire... mostly because it would be illogical for a sniper to target an elevator. It isn't a natural choke point (buildings still have stairs). It isn't a valid place of entry for an assault team (unless you really wanted to rappel off the side of the building and IN to the elevator) and any other counter assault team would obviously take the stairs. Also, reinforced polycarbonate "windows" will help deter anyone not packing an expensive, high-velocity rifle or illegal armor piercing rounds.

If you had to kill a VIP, on the car ride home, or even after they arrived home would make far more sense and be less risky than shooting them in an elevator in the middle of down-town Detroit.

Even PMCs like Blackwate... uh... sorry... "Xe", have training centers that are open to sniper fire. Corporate security outfits often find trouble with defense contracts, as buildings that are condusive to happy, productive workers (Open space, lots of windows, multiple exits, vertical rise, non-invasive security measures, etc) are buildings that are often security and/ or hostage scenario nightmares. "Form over function"? More like realism.

On topic: New pics have her looking a little different... I wouldn't say they make her less attractive, per-say... but more "hard" ... less feminine.

And where did we get the info on her relation to Sarif?

If she is indeed related to Sarif, it is a little bizzare... the first full video we got -- where Sarif says "I'm sorry for what happened to you... to her" It sounds almost like he is apologizing TO Adam for Megan -- as if Adam would have cared more for her than Sarif would have (which is weird, considering she would be Adam's ex and Sarif's family...). I know it is small, and there is even the possibility that the CG vids won't even be part of the game, but it rubs me the wrong way, none the less...

ZakKa89
5th Dec 2010, 22:07
she looks a bit cold

Pinky_Powers
5th Dec 2010, 22:18
She's not bad looking, is she?

Must agree, must agree. From her brief scene in the trailers, I was not drawn to her visually. But these images have changed everything; I quite like her.

Now, l find myself hoping her personality matches her lovely face, and that she'll have some complexity. Am I expecting too much? :)

Ilves
5th Dec 2010, 22:47
I once heard someone make the sweeping statement that thin lips = complex personality. For what it's worth. :o

But yeah, she looks a lot more intriguing in these latest pics compared to the brief moments in the trailer. Slightly scheming, even... :thumb:

Pinky_Powers
5th Dec 2010, 22:51
I once heard someone make the sweeping statement that thin lips = complex personality. For what it's worth. :o

Interesting. I must keep an eye out for this. :)

Jerion
6th Dec 2010, 10:46
She asked him to shave his beard.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/70936f4c.png

Kujata
17th Jul 2011, 19:18
I was playing DX earlier, finished Liberty Island on my way to see Manderley, and had a chat with Janice Reed. Wonder if there is some sort of relation to Megan.. :whistle:

JCpies
17th Jul 2011, 19:22
I noticed.

VectorM
17th Jul 2011, 19:23
Janice Reed was that secretary, or what?

Kujata
17th Jul 2011, 19:28
Yes she is Manderleys secretary.

AlexOfSpades
17th Jul 2011, 19:32
They have the same haircolor.

Dun Dun DUNNN

Kujata
17th Jul 2011, 19:36
The plot thickens :D

hashi
17th Jul 2011, 23:12
Who's Megan?

Rindill the Red
18th Jul 2011, 00:25
Who's Megan?

Her.

JaqTaar
18th Jul 2011, 08:05
They have the same haircolor.

Dun Dun DUNNN

"This throws my entire perception of reality into question! Clone? Robot? Or long-lost twin? Taking all bets!"

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jul 2011, 10:05
The plot thickens :D

It does indeed. :D
I guess Reed is a fairly common surname but I'm liking the possibility of a connection there. :cool:

VectorM
18th Jul 2011, 14:25
Or just EM trollin.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jul 2011, 18:37
^
And I thought EM would be busy partying instead. :D

JCpies
18th Jul 2011, 18:52
JJB was probably partying in the countryside.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jul 2011, 19:05
I was playing DX earlier, finished Liberty Island on my way to see Manderley, and had a chat with Janice Reed. Wonder if there is some sort of relation to Megan.. :whistle:

In case you're onto something(:eek:), the thread title has been updated. :D

Kujata
18th Jul 2011, 20:15
I think it would be pretty interesting if they were related, maybe sisters, although i think Janice may have to be 7-10 years younger than Megan for that to be the case judging from her appearance in DX, she looks like she is in her mid to late 30's or early 40's. does anyone know what age Janice is in DX?

jtr7
19th Jul 2011, 02:43

Agreed! I've had several such relationships end only because of actions and behaviors among those who hold those ignorant societal beliefs that platonic relationships are not possible, which became obnoxiously intrusive and threatening in irrational and careless ways the relationship was no longer worth defending, especially when the relationship was built on conversation and empathy. Although jealousy was a factor, with spouses and lovers lacking at home the kind of easy communication I had with my platonic friends, and so they had to destroy these moments of comfort and laughter that came through effortless listening and speaking between myself and the others.

Snake04
21st Jul 2011, 23:50
Janice reed and megan reed could be a connection we'll have to wait and see