PDA

View Full Version : "F--- this game!" (The game you fail at)

JackGordon
4th Jun 2010, 17:26
I'm sure we're all very experienced gamers here but there must be, at least, one game where we had to put down the controller and admit to ourselves that we're having a hell of a hard time beating it. Reloading level after level, checkpoint after checkpoint until we realise that there is no way we will ever beat it. It's that one moment where we lose our temper and say: "F--- this game."

I'll start.

I've been through Gears of War on single player Insane (which was pretty hard), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on Crushing (which was annoying), F.E.A.R. on Extreme (which was frustrating) and Resident Evil 5 on co-op Professional (which was enraging). The latter lost its "F--- this game"-Award to Ghostbusters: The Video Game for x360 and ps3. I'm talking about the Professional difficulty. The enemies and bosses are relentless, the AI of your team mates is retarded and the controls are clunky. F--- this game! :D

What's yours?

Brackstone17
5th Jun 2010, 02:59
Hm, mine is probably World At War, mostly because the Reichstag took me 3 days to get through. Honestly, on that level, you could have 3 enemies throw a total of 25 grenades at you instantly and all of them would be perfectly spaced so as to prevent escape. Add to that the respawning enemies and I wanted to murder the entire dev team and replace them with people who actually understand the meaning of difficulty. I was able to beat it eventually, but I don't care, that's the game I hate most.

Arsh
5th Jun 2010, 03:31
Prototype.

I can't get past the final boss. At all. It is physically impossible. I don't have the right upgrade, and I can't quit the mission to get the right upgrade.

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 07:20
I'm not very good at video games, I will admit it. When I was a kid I was the boss but now I just don't have the time anymore. Off the top of my head:

Devil May Cry series, these games really pissed me off at times. I can't help but like them, thought. DMC III was a real nightmare. I never played the recent one, but I heard a lot of great things about the difficulty still being true to series. Awesome?
Call of Duty 3 on Veteran. I just got fed up and gave the game away to friend.
Mortal Kombat arcade for PS3/3660. I used to be so good at this but now I can't even complete the tournament without getting super f'ing pissed.
Stuntman for PS2. Oh lord this game drove me nuts! Just look at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6aZLf_arw4)! I really liked that game thought, it was a cool idea.

And of course few months ago I broke down and yelled "F--- this game!" after many, many, many solid hours of failing to beat "The Mile High Club" on COD4. For the love of god, my friend saying "It ain't that hard" over the phone did not help...at all. Seriously F--- this game! Also I remember when I was a kid I used to get super mad at Contra. My mother took my system away for entire summer.

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 09:13
"The Mile High Club" on COD4
Heard a lot of things about that one part of the game...

Got some more:
- Aliens vs Predator: Predator & Marine campaigns on Nightmare; no checkpoints. Fugheddaboudit.
- Batman: Arkham Asylum: combat challenges. I managed to finish the game on Hard and I've got full gold on the stealth challenges but those bloody combat challenges... Seriously.
- Killzone 2: Radec on Veteran, can't beat him. And after Veteran there is Elite... :hmm: Fugheddaboudit
- Killzone: Liberation: Chapter 5 DLC, the final boss in the mech suit. Here's the kicker: I've finished the entire game on hard except for chapter 5 which I can't even finish on easy... :mad2:
- Mirror's Edge: speedruns & time trials, especially the PURE pack. I broke my 360 controller (sturdy things...) over these and simply gave up.

F--- these games! :)

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 15:29
For me , i tend to yell when a good game , a game i really enjoy playing it all of a sudden has either a glitch or design issue that is just WRONG ...
Best give some examples ...

Assassin's Creed 2 ~ the glyphs puzzles , some of them are clever , but the ones involving the wheel of symbols makes no sense whatsoever and makes me stare at the screen for fourty minutes trying to figure out the code , i then go to see the solution on a wiki and it Still Doesn't Make Any Sense , it puts a complete halt to a other wise smooth game , it's a shame ...

Bound in Blood ~ for the entire game i played as Ray , the one who doesn't die after getting shot in the foot , then all of a sudden at the end i HAD to play as Thomas ... for the entire game the player could choose which of the two brother to play as , and after this long journey and getting use to playing as Ray i am FORCED to play as the other dumb ass ? in one of the hardest level i might add ? it's a whole different strategy to play as Thomas and they expected me to just get along with it ? Go **** Yourself ! (and don't make me rant about them Duels) ...

Killzone 2 ~ asside from the fact that i didn't get a trophy for completing Veteran on my first playthrough (i did complete Elite on my second and got a well deserved gold trophy) , the one thing that makes me go nuts in this game is the lack of revival ... WHY can i revive my fallen comrades by pulling out a sweet lazer gun but They Can't Do The Same To Me ?!?? ...

World At War ~ i hated Roebuck , i hated him , bastard keeps hiding behind a rock and tells Me to kill everyone , i wanted to kill him , i wish he would die and turns out in fact , he can die at the end ... except that i foolishly and instincly saved him ... to make matters worst i couldn't reload the last checkpoint so i had to stuck with him for the rest of the shootout , but that's nothing compare to the horror ... the horror of 'Earning' a trophy for saving Him , that man i hated throughtout the whole game , i saved him and got a trophy for it ... *screams so loud that an entire skyscrapper crumbled* ...

See i don't hate none of these games , i enjoyed them alot , but it's these poor design choices that stops it from being a completely serene experience , and i just hate it ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 16:33
- Batman: Arkham Asylum: combat challenges.

Yeah, I haven't beaten those, it's too frustrating to me.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 16:37
Well i did , and glad to have that gold trophy as well ...

The trick is not to button mash , but to follow the technique of jumping all over the place , like a ballet if you will ... it takes a lot of time to get your flow right but it's not impossible ...

Then again everything we already completed looks easy when we look back ... so , yeah , i understand your frustration without really feeling it ... awkward ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 16:53
Yeah I tried learning the pattern but the thing is I didn't really enjoyed the game because my hands would get tried too soon. And yeah, I'm aware it's not impossible lol I never said that.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 17:04
When i first played it it looked impossible to me anywya , i still don't know how the hell i managed , i must have been desperatly bored ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 17:32
Nah, I just think you really focused and spent maybe whole afternoon playing it lol

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 17:34
You're lucky you're not a trophy addict ...

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 17:38
When i first played it it looked impossible to me
Yes, this is how I feel about those combat challenges. And then there's also that annoying Freeflow Perfection achievement/trophy where you have to execute all of Batman's moves perfectly in a row. Wtf is this, Dance Dance Revolution?

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 17:45
Yes, this is how I feel about those combat challenges. And then there's also that annoying Freeflow Perfection achievement/trophy where you have to execute all of Batman's moves perfectly in a row. Wtf is this, Dance Dance Revolution?

I remember know ! ... I was about to give up until I got that Freeflow Perfection trophy by accident , and i think that was the thing that made me say to myself i can do it ! and i did ! i won ! ...

Stupid trophies , makes me dumb ...

Seriously , what else is there for playing the combat challenges ? and why can't i use that armored looking suit for the storyline ? once you unlock the trophies the challenges are pointless ... i know there's a leaderboard but hell i didn't even bother to check how good i did ...

They have to stop putting these frustrating challenges if it's only for trophies ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 17:52
You're lucky you're not a trophy addict ...

I was an achievement whore until I realized that I was doing painful and frustrating things to myself just to get some silly achievements.

Now on PS3, I just kinda get those trophies for fun. I will eventually have all of them from Heavy Rain, as they are not hard and simply fun. Right now I'm planning on getting my first platinum with Fallout 3 as those are really fun to do. Just pretty much working on the quests and other fun stuff. It's not frustrating and I feel like I'm playing the game for the fun of it.

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 18:13
Heavy Rain
Need one more trophy for that one: All Endings. I thought I saw all of them, having played at least five times through the game... Is there a toilet I forgot to flush or something?

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 18:15
It's nice to have trophies for fun , but i've never seen a perfect achievement / trophy list yet , because either they're too frustrating , or they demand too much 'grinding' or they're simply too easy ...
None of them are really fun , challenging and satisfying to obtain at the same time ...

*pray for Dog Days to make a difference* ...

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 18:23
Need one more trophy for that one: All Endings. I thought I saw all of them, having played at least five times through the game... Is there a toilet I forgot to flush or something?

I thought there was eight endings ? you should use the Heavy Rain wikia ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 18:35

Did they all register in your chapter list? A lot of people made a mistake with starting a new game, you just have to select the beginning chapter and beat the whole game for there (or actually reload the chapters with BIG events and change them). You start a new game, whole new save starts. It's really stupid.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 18:51
What's even more stupid (beside the game's plotholes) is that David Cage said that this is a game that it's better if we just played Once (and i agree) ... and then they make a trophy list that begs the player to play it multiple times ...

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 19:05
What's even more stupid (beside the game's plotholes) is that David Cage said that this is a game that it's better if we just played Once (and i agree) ... and then they make a trophy list that begs the player to play it multiple times ...

He said that? That's funny. I think the game needs to be played multiple times, to get all the story arcs.

But yeah, I didn't find the plot holes to be that bad as I was entertaining with everything else.

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 19:41
Did they all register in your chapter list? A lot of people made a mistake with starting a new game, you just have to select the beginning chapter and beat the whole game for there (or actually reload the chapters with BIG events and change them). You start a new game, whole new save starts. It's really stupid.
F--- :mad2: I ALWAYS keep my save files when I get different endings or something because I like to see them again from time to time. Hence I always start a new game...

You know, Heavy Rain convinced me to buy a PS3 but I'm not in a hurry to go back and finish it seven more times in a row. Fugheddaboudit.

ohitspatty
5th Jun 2010, 20:46
Actually, when you replay the chapters you keep all the ending as you unlock because only thing you are altering is "current" storyline which you are going to change anyway because once you unlock ending A, you will go back to replay chapters to unlock ending B.

There are about 17 "Epilogues" and those are:
"Perfect Crime",
"New Start",
"Dead Heroine",
"Uploaded",
"Unpunished",
"Innocent",
"Heroine",
"Resignation",
"New Life",
"Origami Grave's",
"Ethan's Grave",
"Origami Blues",
"Smoking Mirror",
"Tears in Rain"
"A Mother's Revenge",
"Case Closed",
"Helpless",
"Square One"

These are just titles but they "might" be a spoiler to you, haha.
Also there is another epilogue but you get it every time, it's the news report one. And even thought there is all those epilogues, they are usually connected in a string of three epilogues, and sometimes one (depends on your actions of course).

I have only few unlocked but that's because I didn't know you had to replay chapters. And I'm not getting "Kamikaze" for some odd reason.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 20:58
Heavy Rain is the game that convinced you to buy a PS3 ? ...

FOR REAL ? ...

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 22:47
Heavy Rain is the game that convinced you to buy a PS3 ? ...

FOR REAL ? ...
Yes, because I was a huge Fahrenheit fan. And when that dramatic Heavy Rain "Casting Demo" video was shown back in 2006, I was sold.

Random fact: the game that convinced me to buy an Xbox 360 Elite back in 2007 was Bioshock. Which I bought again for PS3 because of the exclusive DLC and the Survivor difficulty. Got a platinum (my very first, in fact) for it not too long ago. ;)

EDIT: @ohitspatty: thanks for the list, I'll check it out.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 23:07
I bet you prefered Fahrenheit than Heavy Rain , didn't you ? ...

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 23:19
In all honesty: I like 'em both equally. They're both very memorable gaming experiences.
Unfortunately some prick on Youtube spoiled Heavy Rain for me... :hmm:

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 23:23
Hell i practically saw ALL of Heavy Rain ... and on TV i might add ...

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 23:27
O o
/¯________________________
| blaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggghh
\_¯¯¯¯

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 23:32
Lol ...

I'm serious though , it was a special TV show , with Sony and Quantic Game's approval , it showed one of the possible playthroughs of Heavy Rain from beginning to end , it's about an hour and a half long , it mainly showed the cutscenes of course ...

JackGordon
5th Jun 2010, 23:33
Sorry. 200th post. Had to be something special :cool:

OT: that sucks.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 23:52
It didn't sucked that much really because ...
I kind of knew that Shelby is going to be the main villain , it just seemed kind of obvious to me when i saw one of the first screenshots with Shelby (it was the one where he's reloading his gun) and i just ... knew ... truth be told i thought that for an interactive game in which it's storyline is it's main selling point it is actually rather disapointing ... most certainly indeed the experience in playing the game itself will be very different than just watching the cutscene , But ... the story is just awkward and unsatisfying , the 'cut your finger to show how far you're willing to go to save the one you love' scene in particular made me laugh out loud ... and i'm kind of glad in a way that my favorite character in this game is actually the origami killer , what i didn't like is the ridiculous plotholes and the awkwardness of the final reveal , i also didn't like seeing Shelby being crushed by that heavy machinery ... anywya , after checking on the trophy list to see if there's anything remotely interesting about it i saw that there's a special gold trophy called "the perfect crime" i believe in which , basically , Shelby wins ... when i buy Heavy Rain i'm going to get that trophy on my first and only playthrough , suck on that David Cage ! i'm going to play your game once AND i'm going to make my favorite character win ! woot ! ...

Heavy Rain , just like Red Dead Redemption is going to be one of those games where despite being spoiled , i'm pretty sure i'm going to find something enjoyable about it ...

It's a weird point of view , usually spoilers is always regarded as a very negative thing , but i believe that the key in making a story a success resides in the way it is delivered , i got spoiled on Killzone 2 ending months before i bought it , when i finally got to play however i saw something brilliant and not just a simple "X kills Y in the end" thing , same will go to Red Dead , i unfortuantely knows what happens in the end , but it's got me interested , now i want to know just why is this happening in the storyline ...
These examples all involved simple ending spoilers , Heavy Rain on the other hand i saw the whole damn circus , but it's that trophy , that gold trophy that is going to make me enjoy it ... by knowing the whole picture , i'll have the pleasure in doing things the way i want it to be done and to avoid that disapointement alot of people had by the final twist ...

Weird isn't it ... spoilers can have it's uses , when it is a spoiler of a great work of course ...

ohitspatty
6th Jun 2010, 00:10
My favorite character is Norman Jaden, and Shelby is actually my least favorite. His missions were so boring, I guess they distracted me and I didn't see it coming until the tale of two brothers came into play. Even guessing it, I still thought it was fun as hell and different than all these games out on the market.

And sir, gnrGrievous, you should check into "Trophies Anonymous" ASAP :D

GrievousOdyssey
6th Jun 2010, 00:22
Will do , but hey , at least i'm giving trophies / achievement a better existence than just a simple mindless score point ...

I should get a trophy for that ...

ohitspatty
6th Jun 2010, 00:26
*bleep* Trophy unlocked!
"Hooray, now go out and fly a kite"

:)

Vulture
28th Jun 2010, 00:27
hmm.. let me think i kinda say ***** this game when its bad rathern then hard so i can say that i said it a lot of times at prototype

GrievousOdyssey
28th Jun 2010, 00:51
So Prototype Was bad ... good thing i chosed inFamous then ...

Bevacur
28th Jun 2010, 15:50
Hey! Prototype was great! I enjoyed!

But the game is pretty hard, even on easy. I still can't kill the last boss, also the boss that looks like a vagina was pretty hard to kill aswell.

BeardedHoplite
28th Jun 2010, 15:56
Hmm..

Dead Rising- Seriously, that save system is such bull****. I have no health, no med-kits and my weapons are either busted or crappy. I also have to get off and I made some progress today. Oh wait, you have to get across 5,000 zombies in order to save in a single slot.

F---K this game!

SlashPrower
28th Jun 2010, 17:28
I Wanna Be The Guy is the most frustrating game in the world and has me spitting obscenities every time I play it. I never got past the spiked corridor in the Ghosts 'n Goblins level.

Part 1 of 5 of some guy's walkthrough, and you can see how hard it would be. I'm not going to post the Let's Plays- those are too big, because it takes forever to get through this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxJgWbm_3I

At least the music was awesome. The last boss fight with The Father had great music (IWBTG has music from tons of NES games, I think this one was from Contra III): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bW8LLj00Oo