PDA

View Full Version : Random lockups

Phang
27th May 2010, 16:40
Hello all, I am hoping someone can help me.

I just bought a new Nvidia gtx 470 and got a free steam download of Just Cause 2 with it. The card is all smiles and giggles, my other titles work fine with it. Unfortunately, Just Cause randomly locks up, especially when there is lots of action (although sometimes when nothing is going on). I have tried adjusting the video settings, gradually lowering them more and more.

I currently have the latest video card drivers from Nvidia, ver. 197.75. I am running Windows 7 64-bit, a liquid-cooled Intel i7 930 and have Directx11 installed. I started with optimal graphics at max resolution, but currently I am "playing" in 1900x1200 with the default settings (bottom options off) but with shadows reduced to low, AA off, and anistrophic filtering set to x2, and cpu water off. The game runs beautifully with no artifacts or glitching, it just randomly locks up every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Like I mentioned before, everything else seems to be working great.

I don't know if I have the latest version, I couldn't find any patches. The current version is 1.0.0.1

Any ideas, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

I forgot to mention that both the video card and cpu are running quite cool, in two weeks I haven't gone over 30 degrees Celsius inside the case. Also, sound is onboard audio from an EVGA X58 LE.

28th May 2010, 02:19
The beta 256 drivers are available for those gpus and if I recall correctly have some tweaks for JC2,ah here is the link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-257.15-beta.html

good luck!

Also thought I would mention that since the new steam UI update its made jc2 perform worse for me in the form of random lags and stutter so there may be other forces at work here.