PDA

View Full Version : Help! JC2 on server 2008 - game won't start, not enough storage space error

oblivionx
17th May 2010, 08:16
I just purchased Just Cause 2 on Steam (should have checked the demo first, I know, but I knew the game was good and I have never had a problem with any game before), but the game immediately gives me an error when starting:

"Not enough storage space is available to complete this operation"

After doing some google research, I believe this is because I am using Windows Server 2008 (regular, not R2). There are some reported workarounds for R2, but I can't find any information on Windows Server 2008.

I've got 6 gb of ram and 20gb on the system drive free, so it's got nothing to do with my actual resources.

Are there any workarounds for this so I can run the game?

This seems like something that might need a patch, both server 2008 and vista share the same kernel, and I have had no problems with any other games thus far. Kinda disappointing that I just spent 50 bucks on this and now can't even play it... :(

Any advice is appreciated. Also does anyone know how steam handles refunds?

RunningBare
17th May 2010, 10:27
I have good advice, only Vista and Windows 7 support this game as DirectX 10 is a requirement, I do not know if server 2008 supports this.

oblivionx
17th May 2010, 21:57
Yes, server 2008 supports directx10. server 2008 and vista share the same kernel, and to date I have not had a single application compatibility issue. I have a bunch of other games that work with no trouble - crysis, me2, dragon age, border lands, bioshock 1/2, etc.

In my experience, any game that supports vista also supports server 2008. This is the first major issue I've encountered w/ server.

Is anyone experiencing this issue on vista x64?

Unfortunately, changing my OS is not an option at this time, as gaming is only a small portion of what I use this computer for, and my day to day work takes full advantage of the server OS. I see people have had some success w/ server R2, so I might have to try that, but if there are workarounds for this on server I would be very happy.

oblivionx
17th May 2010, 23:04
A quick update - just updated server 2008 to SP2 (equivalent of vista SP2), and installed DX11, but still getting the same error.

RunningBare
18th May 2010, 11:43
Have you tried to install as administrator?

Eidos Support
18th May 2010, 15:13
Unfortunately this game, and steam, is not supported to be ran on Windows server operating systems. Please see the games minimum requirements (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=102270). The error "Not enough storage space is available to complete this operation" seems to relate directly to Windows Server setups when googled.

oblivionx
19th May 2010, 04:49
Yea, I tried running it as an administrator, no go there.

And, like I said, since both OSs share the same kernel, I consider server 2008 to meet the minimum requirements of Vista. I have not had any issue with any other game or application thus far - if the app supports Vista, it supports server 2008. And, if Vista is the "minimum", I certainly consider 2008 server to meet that criteria.

I'm a programmer by profession (hence the server OS), so I'm positive this issue is not something serious at all. Most likely it's just a difference in some initial paths, so hopefully one of your developers can take a look at it. I know there's not a lot of us with a server OS, but there are quite a few similar threads on other sites with the same issue

Perhaps the minimum requirements should be updated to say "ONLY supports Vista and Windows 7", not AT LEAST Vista. In fact, nowhere does it say that server OSs are unsupported, though there are countless mentions of WinXP being unsupported.

Anyway, not much I can do about it now - I'm out 50 bucks and it looks like theres no solution. Too bad too, was looking forward to this game, but I wanted it on PC instead of console. Foolish choice in hindsight, I guess, no way I'm dishing out another 60 for the ps3 version.