PDA

View Full Version : i don't like the camera angle

zakker
29th Apr 2010, 17:38
sorry, this is a double post after my first one. but looking to screen shots of GOL, i don't like the camera angle and i think a lot of people agree.:mad2:

i hope there is an option to retrieve the old camera, (behind lara):rolleyes:

Ants_27_
29th Apr 2010, 18:40
I like the new camera very old style GTA or like the chinatown wars Rockstar released. There is a plus side to the new camera... it migh not be as annoying as past titles.:D

Like everything its down to opinion and the whole point of GOL is to test new ideas... but for others to like it some must hate it.

aussie500
30th Apr 2010, 00:25
sorry, this is a double post after my first one. but looking to screen shots of GOL, i don't like the camera angle and i think a lot of people agree.:mad2:

No there will be no option to change the camera to the old one, you need the overhead view to see both players and what they are doing. Also the models are not suitable for close up views, they do not want to be releasing a 7Gb arcade game, it will be much smaller in size. Like any game you do not like it, do not buy it, but it would be a pity to miss out on a good game because you did not think you would like the camera perspective.

Pulse
30th Apr 2010, 06:12
The game is designed like this. I don't think it will have the option, why go through promoting something as "this kind" of game if you have an option to change it??

qwerty
30th Apr 2010, 08:45
i think that they used this camera angle because this way nobody will complain about the camera(a tr issue that has been a problem in every single tr).still it looks crappy to me and it betrays the bad quality of the game

Max 28
30th Apr 2010, 12:59
The isometric camera is just a given with the way this game is designed. It's different.

GoranAgar
30th Apr 2010, 13:23
I guess when you grew up with Zelda on the Nintendo, Baldurs Gate and Star Craft you don't mind that type of game. :)

qwerty
30th Apr 2010, 15:38
I guess when you grew up with Zelda on the Nintendo, Baldurs Gate and Star Craft you don't mind that type of game. :)

i grew up with all of these(exept from the rest of baldurs gate series)and i dont like this camera angle for todays standards...and see legend of zelda series has third person camera these days,so does baldurs gate little bro(dragon age) and starcraft is a rts so it would be impossible to have a third person camera...

_Love2Raid_
30th Apr 2010, 16:18
There is no way in hell this could have worked well with a camera like we are used to in Tomb Raider. Aussie500 already explained why, no need to repeat that. :)

Ants_27_
1st May 2010, 08:06
There is no way in hell this could have worked well with a camera like we are used to in Tomb Raider. Aussie500 already explained why, no need to repeat that. :)

And we may even find that this is the kind of game CD excel at as opposed to having a glitchy third person game.

I'm not saying they should replace the main frnachise but now they are using the camera like they are for the 'Lara Croft' games they may find that they can find ways around the many other problems that plague the 'proper' tomb raider titles.;)

tombraidergal
1st May 2010, 14:51
i don't like it, but it doesn't bother me. i wouldn't mind playing it like this. it would be easier, i suppose i don't like it because it's different.

_Love2Raid_
1st May 2010, 21:45
Is different necessarily bad?

zakker
2nd May 2010, 05:04
sorry if i offended any one, since i am a big fan to TR series i'm affraid about any thing that affects it's continuty. any way i hope Eidos and CD know what they are doing.

i agree with such enourmous enviroment old camera is hard to catch all the stage where lara stand. but you see, the new one gives an overall view and spoils the adventure. but in return the level must be very very very huge so that there so much to explore.:thumb:

tombraidergal
2nd May 2010, 09:30
Is different necessarily bad?

nope. not at all, i just have to get used to it. change is always good in some ways.

cm2
6th May 2010, 21:19
Hey!

Yeah I kinda agree on the new camera angle to be fair. But it is giving the game a new style, making it completely different to all other TR games we have played. I am going to purchase it when it comes out and shall test it before I judge it. If I don't like it, then obviously I'll never go near the game or anything like it again.

I'm really looking forward to it :)

Ants_27_
7th May 2010, 07:12
Besides, I think it should be the animations most look at... They'd better be polished!:D

Error96_
19th May 2010, 17:05
I don't really like the camera angle as it is too zoomed out and overhead. It might work well for the gameplay but dosn't look that good. Hope I will like it more when I play the game.

Aurelija
24th May 2010, 11:06
To me.. it doesn't feel like tomb raider anymore.. it's a pitty.. Will there be more Tr games with camera angle like this in the future? :/

danimv
13th Jun 2010, 14:15
the camera angle is horrible is SO mini-game
hello ps3 xbox360 and pc it's not nintendo DS !!!!!!:mad2:
It should be more classic to beat uncharted
It WON'T be ob the top of the games with that camera angle, it is disappointing

Peterburger
19th Jun 2010, 04:03
Well, I do not like that isometric view-angle either.
As they write on them packages always, one should make a break after an hour or so of having played the game. And this isometric angle of view makes it necessary to regard to those rules. The real experience of a 3d-game is being done by central perspective. This 'bird's perspective' is not nice to play. But the experienced gamer has got enough of Lara Croft's Games at house around, so that for the perfect relax inside Croft-Manor it is always possible to take out one of them older Games of the Series.

If the machine-definition is again that stacky high as in the last Games, One has got no chance at all to pley through the whole Game.

And to be honest - In the time being I am now yet a little bit tired of always only fighting.

Smile: Ten Years behind Lara Croft and One does NOT anymore want to harm anyone... Smile.

This is a little philosophically, as the whole Series are. But I neither want to put too much senses into that Game. They would think, I am mad. But I am not! Human is Absolutely Normal. But for Normality there shall be SKILLS. And them One has developed over the Years.

Not without Being Proud... Smile!

Good Luck to the Good Old Friends of Lara Croft!
Have a Brilliant Summer and please do not too much pay attention to Uglyness in the World! Ugly is NOT an Orientation for Human Behaviour!

Let the Icon be OUR ICON! Identify with it. But without Affection!

Max 28
19th Jun 2010, 08:29
^^^ WTF? :confused: :hmm:

Ants_27_
19th Jun 2010, 08:30
the camera angle is horrible is SO mini-game
hello ps3 xbox360 and pc it's not nintendo DS !!!!!!:mad2:
It should be more classic to beat uncharted
It WON'T be ob the top of the games with that camera angle, it is disappointing

But the camera is far better than the other TR games, at least it comes problem free... hopfully giving CD a new way to program the camera to be a lot better... like Uncharted, GTA, MGS.

@Max - I have no idea though it is still somewhat early!

jordan_a
21st Jun 2010, 07:49
The closest I've found is Baldur's Gate II, and the camera zooms out when the two characters are separated by a great distance. It' neat really.

rafaelluik
26th Jun 2010, 04:10
I think the new camera is just different from the previous games. It might be cool to play this game with this kind of camera. I mean, I hope this camera doesn't turns into the default, the base, for the rest of the Tomb Raider series.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why it's called Lara Croft: it has a different kind of gameplay than the main Tomb Raider series.

Ants_27_
26th Jun 2010, 08:40
One way to view the change of angle is this:

Solid Snake is the main (awesome) character of the MGS series, but now that Mr. Kojima has handed it over to his younger team Raiden is the new main character. How does this relate to a camera angle for TR?

Well Snakes adventures were focused on stealth, with the exception that MGS 4 gave you the choice to play it stealth or as a 3rd person shooter... or a bit of both. Now, Rising seems like it will be more action blended with stealth cause Raiden doesn't seem the one to hide in a box.

So the development team split into two. One working on Rising, the other on Peace Walker. Now even though Rising appears to be different Peace Walker is the same MGS experience players have been playing for the last 20 or whatever years!:D So just cause the one game is different doesn't mean they both will be.

Prince_VLAD
25th Sep 2010, 17:50
That's the WORST tomb raider game ever! The isometric view it's from 1993...and whoever had this stupid idea...deserves death. This game is an example of what happens when some people who don't know about how a gamer feels, think that fixing something which never broke , is a good idea...
I am glad I didn't buy this game, I saw it on my friend pc, who bit his fists for his waste of money...I am glad I'm not in his shoes..I won't buy this game sanctioning the crystal dynamics lack of inspiration.
Bottom line, this game is an abomination, avoid it at all cost and wait for the next real tomb raider.

Hoodedclaw
25th Sep 2010, 18:15
That's the WORST tomb raider game ever! The isometric view it's from 1993...and whoever had this stupid idea...deserves death. This game is an example of what happens when some people who don't know about how a gamer feels, think that fixing something which never broke , is a good idea...
I am glad I didn't buy this game, I saw it on my friend pc, who bit his fists for his waste of money...I am glad I'm not in his shoes..I won't buy this game sanctioning the crystal dynamics lack of inspiration.
Bottom line, this game is an abomination, avoid it at all cost and wait for the next real tomb raider.

i dont really care about the camera angle. :hmm:

But even though of that thing, im still really looking forward 2 getting the game. :D ( i have ps3 ) :) And im especialy looking forward 2 the online things.

chriss_99
25th Sep 2010, 18:16
Well, first of all, it is NOT a Tomb Raider game. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a game that has nothing to do with the pillar games.
Secondly, how can you say that the person who came up with the idea of isometric camera deserves death? That's so stupid and immature!
In my opinion, that person should get an award and a pay rise! :D
This is one of the best game with Lara Croft that I have ever played. Although, it hasn't got Tomb Raider in the title it has a lot of TR features that I missed in the recent games.
Finally, the fact that my brother, who has absolutely nothing to do with video games, admitted that he enjoyed it while we were playing co-op is a miracle and proves that this game is EPIC!

Hoodedclaw
25th Sep 2010, 18:27
I think that the camera is a little bit of a flash back 2 the old games. ( sweet)

The people that dont like it .... well u get what u get! :rolleyes:

demin
25th Sep 2010, 20:31
That's the WORST tomb raider game ever! The isometric view it's from 1993...and whoever had this stupid idea...deserves death. [...]
maybe not death, but definietly should be sent somewhere far far... OOO i know. let him play with jigsaw in next SAW movie. So this person could learn what is 3d ^^

aussie500
26th Sep 2010, 11:27
maybe not death, but definietly should be sent somewhere far far... OOO i know. let him play with jigsaw in next SAW movie. So this person could learn what is 3d ^^

Just because it does not have a third person perspective does not mean the game is not 3D. The purpose was to make a game, with Lara Croft in it that was actually popular, they succeeded in that. Obviously the developer knows more about making games than some highly biased Tomb Raider fans. GOL is not a Tomb Raider game.

Denis 100%
26th Sep 2010, 14:06
that was..quite an attack

bedazzled
26th Sep 2010, 14:32
GOL is not a Tomb Raider game.

No but it features the star of Tomb Raider :rasp:

Denis 100%
26th Sep 2010, 14:36
Well, first of all, it is NOT a Tomb Raider game. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a game that has nothing to do with the pillar games.
Secondly, how can you say that the person who came up with the idea of isometric camera deserves death? That's so stupid and immature!
In my opinion, that person should get an award and a pay rise! :D
This is one of the best game with Lara Croft that I have ever played. Although, it hasn't got Tomb Raider in the title it has a lot of TR features that I missed in the recent games.
Finally, the fact that my brother, who has absolutely nothing to do with video games, admitted that he enjoyed it while we were playing co-op is a miracle and proves that this game is EPIC!
so if your brother says it's good then discussion ends

demin
26th Sep 2010, 17:16
Just because it does not have a third person perspective does not mean the game is not 3D. The purpose was to make a game, with Lara Croft in it that was actually popular, they succeeded in that. Obviously the developer knows more about making games than some highly biased Tomb Raider fans. GOL is not a Tomb Raider game.
if its not look like 3d its not 3d.
If this game have not use lara model u would never heard about it. Developer release a minigame. Underexceling and highly disapointing.

Denis 100%
26th Sep 2010, 17:26
i think i like gol..my mate and i waiting for the online patch..any info?

ThePunkVampire
26th Sep 2010, 23:17
Still looking for the ethernet cable for ps3. if i have time to connect to internet....ill find you :D still remember you user on ps3 online :)

Denis 100%
27th Sep 2010, 08:59
vampy go at a store to buy one..ij won't cost anything

Forsakensoul
28th Sep 2010, 06:34
I am very excited about the camera angle. I love this camera angle; however don't get me wrong I also love first person shooters. My point is I don't want every game released the same, that would become boring.

Once you put Co-op in the equation combined with real life friends camera angles and graphics become less important.

enzi
28th Sep 2010, 15:05
Wow, I actually had to register to respond to some of this nonsense that is written here.

First of all, I see absolutely no problem with the camera angle. The sense of depth is still maintained. A thing which I think is absolutely crucial in every game that is starring Lara Croft. I was a little skeptical at first but they did an awesome job.

I wish that more games would come out in the near future that combine these great gameplay features. From excessive shooting, puzzles and platforming.

What I really like about the camera angle is that the gameplay is much more fast paced. Dodging, shooting and jumping works so perfectly well in combination. Honestly, GoL is much much better than I had imagined and after Legend, Anniversary and Underworld my expectations were very high.

Keep up the good work Eidos and ignore the obvious trolls that have apparently no clue what they are talking about.

Still, just to nit-pick a little. An option to look around freely would be great but I don't know how it would work with the current level design.

If this game have not use lara model u would never heard about it. Developer release a minigame. Underexceling and highly disapointing.
Lol, best post I've read in this thread. Aren't you ashamed of you obvious ignorance and stupidity?

demin
28th Sep 2010, 19:39
dont feed troll

Pulse
29th Sep 2010, 02:59
dont feed troll

You be trolling!

Anyway, it's definately 3D.

3D
http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/08/19/lara_croft_and_the_guardian_of_light_3.jpg

2D
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/super-mario-bros-2-nes-potion.jpg

sonicr9
29th Sep 2010, 06:20
To everyone who doesn't like the camera angel must be newbies to gaming.

I LOVE the camera angel. The isometric view is great and I am used to it after playing Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies Island on the Mega Drive and Saturn.

Also the camera shows you a lot more of the game board.

Prince Vlad nice rant and what are you smioking?

This game is sheer brilliance and it kicks the BLEEP out those games that Core Design laughingly called games in TR3,4,5 and Angel Of Darkness

But if you want to miss out because you dont like the camera angle then that is your immature problem.

QiX
29th Sep 2010, 07:12
To everyone who doesn't like the camera angel must be newbies to gaming.

I played tons of games with isometric perspective in the early nineties and I even liked them at that time. Now I think they're just old.

Also the camera shows you a lot more of the game board.

I don't want more of the game board, I want to see the character's perspective, I want to be able to move the camera anywhere and to any direction.

This game is sheer brilliance and it kicks the BLEEP out those games that Core Design laughingly called games in TR3,4,5 and Angel Of Darkness

Dude, don't... When Core made the first Tomb Raider isometric perspective was already old. Heck, Core's Tomb Raider was what killed isometric perspective. The 3rd person adventure was a revolution in the nineties, isometric perspective in 2010 is so retro.

But if you want to miss out because you dont like the camera angle then that is your immature problem.

Personally I tried the demo. Hated it from the start, but I could get used to the lame controls and after a while even like playing it to pass time. But I uninstalled it, and deleted the installer. Just because there are much better games to just pass time.

demin
29th Sep 2010, 08:08
http://www.unitedwaytja.org/images/WhiteBackground_Adjustable.gif
u can belive it or not, but this above picture is truly drawed with pencil, it show doubts of hamlet from the moment to be or not to be. Check the amazing deepth, and details. For peculiar attention u must be aware that author use gamma filter set to max to make it SO AWESOME !

And now explaination if u are under mediocre iq.

2d:
http://www.gamoholic.net/images/stories/DiabloII_ModRes_1280x1024/diablo2-1280x1024.jpg

But:
http://www.fpsteam.it/img2004/mod_wolf3d/the_night_after_christmas05.jpg
is 2d or 3d? :> (its 2d, but looks like 3d)

http://alltommac.se/files/2009/02/doom2shoot2.jpg
how about this one ?

http://games.softpedia.com/screenshots/Duke-Nukem-3D-High-Resolution-Pack_1.jpg
or this?

Yeah i know, i must be newbie if I bring wolfenstein 3d to this discussion...

How about this:
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/bloodrayne_031802_07_640w.jpg

As u can hopefully tell by yourself by now - used technic not always determine outcome. And maybe its my immature problem bc i am newbie.

Buit check the sales... this camera brought noone or little. But scare off hella of fans.

I know its good game. agreed here. But not as good as it would be with right camera perspective.

I am only one here to speak in this way bc noone cares, noone bought it.

TAPS
1st Oct 2010, 15:45

YUCK !........I agree totally. This is so annoying having the camera angle like your looking out of an airplane. I think its more to satisfy the RPG, MMORPG players. I want the First person perspective. The controls are insane. Too bad there wasn't an option like zakker mentioned.

TAPS
1st Oct 2010, 15:51
Wow, I actually had to register to respond to some of this nonsense that is written here.

First of all, I see absolutely no problem with the camera angle. The sense of depth is still maintained. A thing which I think is absolutely crucial in every game that is starring Lara Croft. I was a little skeptical at first but they did an awesome job.

I wish that more games would come out in the near future that combine these great gameplay features. From excessive shooting, puzzles and platforming.

What I really like about the camera angle is that the gameplay is much more fast paced. Dodging, shooting and jumping works so perfectly well in combination. Honestly, GoL is much much better than I had imagined and after Legend, Anniversary and Underworld my expectations were very high.

Keep up the good work Eidos and ignore the obvious trolls that have apparently no clue what they are talking about.

Still, just to nit-pick a little. An option to look around freely would be great but I don't know how it would work with the current level design.

Lol, best post I've read in this thread. Aren't you ashamed of you obvious ignorance and stupidity?

The camera angle sucks. Period.

Ants_27_
1st Oct 2010, 16:07

If you want my two cents then here they are; fairly simple too:
1 - The camera angle is better than the pillar releases due to the fact there's no problems with it. Fixing what needed fixing.
2 - The game (from what I've played) is more fun than the pillar releases.
3 - It's likely to sell more than the pillar releases (lets say 10 of my mates wont touch TR with a bargepole; 8 of them have bought GOL and are loving it but the 10 said they wont be going near TR9).
4 - The dialogue is better than it was in Underworld (slightly less of "Said the pot to the kettle")... still not as fluid as I've seen in other game but Keeley makes it sound better than it probably is.

TAPS
1st Oct 2010, 21:04
Ok been playing for a few hours now and the isometric perspective isn't so bad, actually its pretty cool although I would prefer the FP perspective, you know to see more closely into corners and to be able to pan around.

Pulse
1st Oct 2010, 21:07
2d:
http://www.gamoholic.net/images/stories/DiabloII_ModRes_1280x1024/diablo2-1280x1024.jpg

That is 3D. If it has 3D models and 3D locations it is 3D! LCGOL is 3D. GAH!

It irritates me when someon is so obvioulsy wrong on something so ridiculous!

demin
2nd Oct 2010, 07:32
it is what it looks like.
Lame Camera and Guardian of dLcLESS is just a minigame with 2d perspective.

Period :)

Ants_27_
2nd Oct 2010, 09:08
it is what it looks like.
Lame Camera and Guardian of dLcLESS is just a minigame with 2d perspective.

Period :)

Well if they plan to use another Third Person Perspective then I'd want them to do it right for once... Instead of fighting with the camera and taking away from the experience they are trying to build. I mean there's never really been a TR that I've thought 'I like the camera!' Except until now that is.

GTA used to have top-down view and still does in China Town Wars and they aren't crap games. Nor do I ever play them and say this "sucks I want to pan the camera".

demin
2nd Oct 2010, 17:28
GTA is a crappy game. U cant run and shoot. . . so pathetic for an action game... btw, gta come from rockstar... developer who trashed max payne potential, rumor say that they cooking part 3. its gonna be some position hold&shoot... xD

yeah brainless argument ;d

Ants_27_
2nd Oct 2010, 18:35
GTA is a crappy game. U cant run and shoot. . . so pathetic for an action game... btw, gta come from rockstar... developer who trashed max payne potential, rumor say that they cooking part 3. its gonna be some position hold&shoot... xD

yeah brainless argument ;d

Its not a brainless argument at all.

You can't run and shoot in Resident Evil, that a crap game too? Least the cameras works and are done to a higher polish than Crystal Dynamics (the developer that apparently 'wrecked' the TR series) bother to do. My opinion. You can walk and shoot in GTA, just like you do in TR (well CD's at least).;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvE2cucNha0

But going back on subject, God of war has a camera that you can not pan, never want that to change either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxD5nmnCGk

demin
3rd Oct 2010, 10:13
u know, that if they came up with god of war camera style there wouldbe lower hate level. (game to pc wouldbe just a port, but still good piece of fun)
About walking and shooting in gta, yay they add it, when they add some depth to the story I enjoy it.

anyway silent hill by far >> resident evil.
And i dont played in re4 bc i refuse to aim on pad. (hi tech pc mice, and I am kind of pr0 in fps). stand and aiming is passe ;d

Arvid
31st Oct 2010, 21:38
Demin seriously...

To begin with the game isn't really a isometric projection to begin with by the words definitions and rather just your typical 3d with but with a fixed perspective.
It is made by the same typical texture filled triangels like any other 3d games you play ... same friggin rendering techs(and engine) and projection.

Then what i find stupid is that people are trying to decide what is 3d and what is 2d... when obviously anything displayed on a 2d space is 2d or pseudo-3d if it tries to show depth.

crofty
1st Nov 2010, 20:57
Ok so the designers don't deserve death like someone said, but I do think this is a HUGE disappointment. I saw there was a new Lara game promoted and I got all excited and then it's THIS. It's just a retro looking thing with one of our favorite characters in it. I understand all the argument that it's good to have multiplayer and the game must be smaller to allow for that horrible camera angle..............blah blah blah. I am still here without a new real Tomb Raider adventure to try, and I'll hate it if I want to. No one seems to be asking the real question I want to know which is this:

The heck with this Guardian of Light crap, when and how much longer til we get a new REAL Lara Croft game to play? Maybe this was just a small snack to make it easier to wait for the real thing. ..........I hope.

NO MORE of these retro things please. I have an xbox for a reason. I like true xbox games, in fact, I LOVE them.

crofty
1st Nov 2010, 21:06
One more thing, I wanted to say if they wanted to add multiplayer for xbox live, why couldn't they just do like Ghostbusters? That is a great game except for a few glitches and has an awesome live multiplayer that is just limited to about 12 of the venues with a four player adventure. You play as a team and you can still have a decent camera view. That way they wouldn't have to shrink everyone to the size of ants to accomodate the airplane camera view. It doesn't feel like a true xbox experience when they make these arcade type games. Save those for phone games, not my xbox please.

YoshiMad08
1st Nov 2010, 21:37
Crofty, you're right that it is a snack cuz it's an arcade game! If it wasn't an arcade game then u wouldn't be here saying "The bloomin' camera angle's crap!" when it's a snack so that we're not bored until Xmas 2011 (or somethin' like that) for the next TR! And plus cuz it's a arcade game the camera isn't usually 3 person. (Well, i've barely played recent arcade games apart from dis..) What's wrong with the angle guys?

Regards,
YoshiMad08

Click here to email me! (cai.revell@btinternet.com)

GeorgeMaciver
1st Nov 2010, 22:49
The camera angle isn't engaging and doesn't allow you to become immersed in the game. It's an arcade and I sure hope the mainstream Tomb Raider's don't go this route. Tomb Raider is about being immersed. Sure, make a new game, but nicking Lara to promote it kinda sucks lol :p

marcvb
2nd Nov 2010, 20:51
The camera angle is really bad! I didn't like it at all!

YoshiMad08
2nd Nov 2010, 21:29
OK, i have noticed that the camera isn't engaging as other TRs, but i have been playing TR since i was about 2. (if my maths is correct) None of the other 1s have dis camera angle and i must admit, it takes quite a bit of getting used to. It's not to everyones liking, which i just bumped into. And just so u know, i'm not trying to make a 999 gazillion against 1 mob, or make a small potato any bigger. So on that note, i think i'd better leave.

Regards,
YoshiMad08

Click here to email me! (cai.revell@btinternet.com)

ivaneiroX
3rd Nov 2010, 00:26
this is not TOMB RAIDER this is an arcade game, TR still have the TP camera God.... if u don't like LC don't play it.... you xbox players need to be happy you all get the DLC for free and the online mode... and we ps3 players need to wait and see if CD wants to give us a free DLC... sorry for my english

Pulse
3rd Nov 2010, 02:46
The camera is not that bad. If you are willing to be open to other kinds of games, it's fine. But if you want the same stuff and only play TP games, you won't like it.

jesster
3rd Nov 2010, 11:28
Ok so the designers don't deserve death like someone said, but I do think this is a HUGE disappointment. I saw there was a new Lara game promoted and I got all excited and then it's THIS. It's just a retro looking thing with one of our favorite characters in it. I understand all the argument that it's good to have multiplayer and the game must be smaller to allow for that horrible camera angle..............blah blah blah. I am still here without a new real Tomb Raider adventure to try, and I'll hate it if I want to. No one seems to be asking the real question I want to know which is this:

The heck with this Guardian of Light crap, when and how much longer til we get a new REAL Lara Croft game to play? Maybe this was just a small snack to make it easier to wait for the real thing. ..........I hope.

NO MORE of these retro things please. I have an xbox for a reason. I like true xbox games, in fact, I LOVE them.
I totally agree...it just feels like the old school TR players have been betrayed somehow!

What was wrong with the winning formula of having a 3rd person shooter/adventure game? I say don't mess with a winning formula...the TR as a whole has gained in popularity over the years (ok, Angel of Darkness was a failure but at least they redeemed themselves with Legend) so why change what the players have grown to love and look forward to?

The theory of consumer psychology applies here: its easier to retain current customers than it is to attract new ones...and this effort of attracting different gamers to play this new TR is costing the designers and company the loyalty of the current fans of the TR series!

Denis..
3rd Nov 2010, 17:35
ok guys..its not tr and its not a full packaged game..its just a side adventure with lara in it..nothing like a main game! so read something before u type..the camera is ok for me..not a big deal neither like it or hate it..u will see that the next tomb raider will be awesome and the camera as we loved it..nothing like tru because now it's SE who has the upper hand not eidos!

Rockn-Roll
4th Nov 2010, 17:57
As many before have posted...the camera is exactly like Bauldar's Gate which was an RPG/RTS game. This kind of game is a 3D scroller...immersion is impossible because the very nature of the camera establishes that the player is outside of the Tomb Raider world and is just controlling the action instead of being a part of it.

It's also very evident that the game was developed for console controllers which have an 8 pointed directional controller. If the PC keyboard settings allowed 8 keys i.e. the number pad to control movement then it would have worked OK. But, with only 4 keys it's nearly impossible to perform the necessary actions. For example the first challenge in the Demo of jumping across the tops of the barrels is extremely hard with a keyboard which only has up, down, left, and right...it's very difficult to press both up and left at the same time so that Lara goes exactly between...there needed to be an additional 4 keys for the corner directions.

Movement controls which provide emmersiveness and 100% instinctive movement is where the player can see what the character sees and moves in relationship to the character the player is controlling:
Press Left and the character moves to the character's left.
Press Right and the character moves to the character's right.
Press Forward and the character moves in the direction the character is facing.
Press Back and the character moves in the opposite direction in which the character is facing.
In other words the character always moves in a direction relative to the character...the player can be facing in any direction and the controls still work fine.

Movement controls which are not emmersive and difficult to control the action is where the player can see everything as if they are looking down at a scene from outside of the world and the character moves in relationship to the player and not the character:
Press Left and the character spins around and faces the player's left then moves forward.
Press Right and the character spins around and faces the player's right then moves forward.
Press Forward and the character spins around and faces the player's forward direction then moves forward.
Press Back and the character spins around and faces the opposite direction in which the player is facing then moves forward.
In other words the direction that the player is facing determines the movement direction and the game assumes that the player is facing the screen...if the player is not facing the screen, for example lying down on a couch at a 90ยบ angle to the screen, then the movement controls become completely wrong. It's as if the game designers assume that the game is going to be played on a PC where the player has to face the screen, however, the actual control limitations indicate that the game is going to be played with a console controller with an 8-point directional movement pad. If I didn't know any better I would suspect that the game developer is new to the industry and ignored all industry advisors about PC game control.

I'd say this constitutes as a complete failure for the PC. Add this to the GFWL requirement, the non-immersive ancient style camera technique, and the download only requirement (took 12 hours for me to download the demo on a business DSL), and the total score from my playbook is around 2 on a scale from 0 to 10...definitely going to hurt the franchise on the PC side.

It's a total shame...the game looks like it would be fun. I'll never be able to understand why developers besides me don't pay attention to what happened to other games. Heretic 2 was developed using the same camera view and it was a total failure...it completely ended that franchise which should have had a long productive life-span.

Ants_27_
5th Nov 2010, 07:55
The theory of consumer psychology applies here: its easier to retain current customers than it is to attract new ones...and this effort of attracting different gamers to play this new TR is costing the designers and company the loyalty of the current fans of the TR series!

Actually, I believe it's better to attract new gamers not just the same old one which want the same game again and again, the same lot that moan at the slightest change. One of the reasons I still believe the popularity took such a nose dive.

It's my two cents in the matter but Tomb Raider has never (from what I've played) had a good camera, in fact it took away the immersion factor due to the buggy camera and general glitchyness as you try to turn it.... least from what I did play of GOL it didn't have any problems in that department.:)

Heretic 2 was developed using the same camera view and it was a total failure...it completely ended that franchise which should have had a long productive life-span.

It works perfectly fine really, Diablo uses a similar one and still seems to be going strong with the release of number 3.

tomb1fan
8th Nov 2010, 07:34
they should've made it split screen one to the left other to the right it's better like that i agree with all of you about the fact everyone has an opinion some hate it some love it