PDA

View Full Version : SENTINEL Air Strike

k8Faust
26th Mar 2014, 03:26
As it is, I don't see this replacing either Takeoff or Divebomb; both Secondary Abilities seem a great deal more useful than the current incarnation of Air Strike.

Damage and Radius are... okay. I wouldn't mind a bump in Damage, but that isn't the area that I think needs to be changed. The idea of using Air Strike as a method of harassment is solid, so Damage increase would make it a bit too much like Divebomb.

Instead, I'd rather see the Cooldown be reduced from 20 to 15 seconds. As it is, the Cooldown make it far less useful as a hit-and-run ability, since it takes far too long to use it again. It just doesn't harass enough to be useful. Divebomb is a far better initiator. With a lower Cooldown, I can picture myself using this ability over Takeoff or Divebomb as a tool to harass opponents.

Also, the cast animation leaves the Sentinel exposed for a fairly long time. If the Cooldown isn't reduced or the Damage isn't increased, then the animation should--at the very least--be shortened.

That said, I would like to be able to charge and hold the ability, to better aim my shots.

Psyonix_Corey
26th Mar 2014, 07:29
We could consider moving it to Q if it's more competitive there. It fits that role better anyway. TBH it's been in the queue so long we haven't analyzed it much lately.

Korevas
26th Mar 2014, 08:16
We could consider moving it to Q if it's more competitive there. It fits that role better anyway. TBH it's been in the queue so long we haven't analyzed it much lately.

Personally, I like it in the F slot as I wouldn't want to give up the ground based powers. I like it for what it does, but I agree that it is a little too exposed though.

RainaAudron
26th Mar 2014, 10:48
I´ve tried it twice and then switched back to Take Off - to me Air Strike does too little damage while exposing yourself to scouts/hunters.

Vampmaster
26th Mar 2014, 10:59
What's Air Strike? I haven't been able to play yet to to low specs. Could we get the ability list posted online or in the beta forums or something?

Strike5150
26th Mar 2014, 11:33
The cast animation lasts too long, or at the very least allow us to continue flying while casting it. Warbowing sentinals was a breeze if they tried to use airstrike. Huge model to hit because the sentinal stands upright in the air and channels for 1-2 seconds. More than enough time to pull the trigger so to speak.

Razaiim
26th Mar 2014, 15:53
The animation is too long for too little payout. I'm also sure that the damage falls off during the throw. I landed the toss almost under someone and only did 149 damage.

GenFeelGood
26th Mar 2014, 16:29
With the air strike, why not something along the lines of an air raid ? You fly low over the opposing team, not stopping, and release a number of smaller explosives that line the area you are flying over. You are still vulnerable to attack and you still have to be skilled enough to time the release and be at a low enough altitude to avoid them going off before they reach the ground.

cmstache
26th Mar 2014, 16:38
Eh I like it. But, if you guy want to buff it, im OK. :)

Dze5Xeno
26th Mar 2014, 17:03
I also like air strike to me it seems really useful, anyway I wouldn't change it to primary ability (Q)

WhiteFlameKyo
26th Mar 2014, 17:18
I think I'd want it in Q slot. Air strike is pretty cool but it's not powereful enough to sacrifice the only sentinel's bola-counter, take off. Without take off most of the time you just die if you get bola'd. Wing flap is useful but exchanging it for air strike would make your sentinel more air-based, which could be an awesome build as well.

SiD_Green
26th Mar 2014, 18:38
I like it where it is, wing flap is the only thing that can keep you safe on the ground if they go indoors, which is also a great time to toss a grenade in.

It's not that hard to get it where you want it without exposing yourself too dangerously.

killdrith
27th Mar 2014, 19:13
I think it's fine in the 'f' location, but either damage/radius need increasing and the cast time could be shortened. Risk vs. Reward dictates not using it atm.

PencileyePirate
27th Mar 2014, 19:38
From watching others use this ... I don't even want to waste gold on it. A single Scout will make airstrike completely useless unless it can be used while flying.

edit: I'll have to wait and try the skill before I really pass judgement ... I didn't realize you could throw from a pretty good distance when I wrote this.

0Exroath0
30th Mar 2014, 01:10
I think it's fine in the 'f' location, but either damage/radius need increasing and the cast time could be shortened. Risk vs. Reward dictates not using it atm.

I would like to see this too, The risk is really high yet the damage feels oddly low, I was expecting it to rival the grenade however it doesnt come close.

cmstache
30th Mar 2014, 15:10
Not even likely, grenade has limited range, you can throw airstrike from anywhere, even cross-map.

TDFMike
30th Mar 2014, 22:36
I sadly have to disagree. The Divebomb is slow and feels like it does 2 low dmg, but it has the upside of combining it with Abduct. So U catch some1 and let him fall down for 300 - 500 dmg. Then you divebomb for 250 - 500 dmg afterwards. Afterwards u have 2 attacks or 1 attack and Q. Your team decides how useful the sentinel is overall! Especially with the bomb! The sentinel is still the only class that can dive into a team and pick up and kill a human out of his allies group!
The Sentinel can be the Batman!

Kajirou
30th Mar 2014, 23:54
I actually like airstrike. As a sentinel, I spend most of my time in the air, and feel too vulnerable on the ground, not have a good escape mechanism like the other vampire classes (unless you count Takeoff I guess, but it's not as useful as you think when they know exactly where you're going to end up).

The trick to airstrike is to not stand in full view of your enemies, because duh. Once you locate them, get behind some cover and toss the bomb -over- that cover. The thing arcs, take advantage of that. Sure it's not huge damage, but it's good harassing damage. Works well for holes in roofs and such too.

Although I would kill for the Sentinel having Shadow Bomb instead, as OP as that would be. xD

Khalith
31st Mar 2014, 03:31
The time you spend still in the air to throw the bomb isn't that long, plus if you have your team in there fighting then chances are the human team won't notice you sweep in and drop a bomb on them as you dive in. I'm not against buffing the damage, but if that's the case the radius would need to be decreased, the AoE of that bomb is huge. I'll be a good distance from the sentinel and still get pinged for some damage from it.

Prime_Abstergo
1st Apr 2014, 08:11
Ability definitely is not worth taking. 300 dmg is a joke even with 700 radius - you will notice that enemies are normally taking 150-200 dmg depending on how close they are. Now considering an exposure for a long time and lacking of some sort of void zone makes this skill really obsolete.

cmstache
1st Apr 2014, 13:33
300 is a joke. But, 200 to 3 players isn't. Especially when you can deal it from behind cover. Placement is key.

Dze5Xeno
2nd Apr 2014, 20:29
The true is that with the air strike you have now a good chance to kill someone with less effort. I think that the way air strike works right now is great, you can help your teammates to get kills easier and you can obtain your own kill without suffering to much damage.
The radius is fine because it deals so little damage when you are away that you didnt even notice for example I've been able to see when the air strike is getting thrown and run away from it receiving just like 25 of damage when the air strike was aim to me.