PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the new gameplay video

UhUh
24th Apr 2010, 09:14
Come on, I know you want to.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go look the in the media section.

So, we get to see some actual gameplay, the hud and a lot of new info on what we're be able to do.

I'm impressed, the action looks solid, the phisics seems great, and the attention to the deatails of the game mechanic is tops.

There's plenty of thing that we discussed about here in the forums, and seems IO had the same ideas years before :P
The down not dead works exactly like something bevacur wrote about, you have to pick weapons as you're always short on ammo, the covers aren't bulletproof. Even little things like switching beetwing shoulder is there.

And what's the deal with the icons that show the position in meters of the enemies? Looks like a cool thing, but isn't that too much of an help? maybe it's there just on easy?

discuss!

Vulture
24th Apr 2010, 10:47
can u give a link to the video? i cant seem to find it

Jez
24th Apr 2010, 10:53
can u give a link to the video? i cant seem to find it

Sames.

He seems to be talking a load of gibberish.

UhUh
24th Apr 2010, 10:59
Here (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/kaneandlynch2dogdays/video/6259996?hd=1)

Zidrien
24th Apr 2010, 11:09
Looks great!

Garrett Vega
24th Apr 2010, 11:18
Liked the video, looks great. Loved how Lynch went down after a couple of hits.

However, the ragdoll seems to be pretty average, worse than in K&L1.

Jez
24th Apr 2010, 11:23
Wow, it does look good!

UhUh
24th Apr 2010, 12:58
Looks like there's a single player version of FA. (http://www.videogamer.com/news/io_reveals_kane_and_lynch_2_fragile_alliance_arcade_mode.html)

Garrett Vega
24th Apr 2010, 13:06
Holy crap. This just keeps getting better and better.

SlashPrower
24th Apr 2010, 13:33
That gameplay video made me happy. It looks to me like the cover system is smoother than in the first game, where it was kind of an annoyance. Also, the game just looks really cool and it seems like the fights will be more energetic than in the first one.

JackGordon
24th Apr 2010, 13:42
I really like how the AI doesn't hold back. This time they're like: "Here I am, try to shoot me if you can..." While in the previous game they were more like: "Over here! Ok, so I'll pop a few rounds and then it's your turn. Ooo, headshot! Nice! One more and I'm down."

petersjov
24th Apr 2010, 14:43
I like it, its just enough to tease how good it is ;-)

-The camera looks great, i dont think its "too much"
-the gunplay looks realy tense, and chaotic.
-its a very very detailed gameworld !!
-hmm think there was a gun that sounded like a toy gun ?
-love the pick up weapons, instead of "magic" refill of bullets

It looks very detailed ?, i have read that some people say its very low-res under the hood ?- I dont see that ?

Hmm, love the human animation, i dont know what it is, but the walk/move very ....human like *S*

Some of the places seems very big ?...

SlashPrower
24th Apr 2010, 15:00
I also love how they changed the game mechanics to fit Lynch- instead of the whole squad command thing you had with Kane, who was military-trained and usually planned things out, you have a more intense, shoot-everything-in-your-way style that fits Lynch a lot better. Which is good, because I can't see Lynch being able to lead a squad.

Brackstone17
24th Apr 2010, 16:45
I love the arcade mode idea. I don't know why more games don't have bots these days. Do you think the arcade mode can be done with friends? I.E. you and a buddy against a bunch of bots? Or do you think this will be like Gears 2 where if someone drops out of the game, you don't lose that player, they just become a bot? No matter what this is a great idea. If they add in a The Club style points and combo system, I'll never play another game again.

Kent-45
24th Apr 2010, 20:19
I could go on and on about how I am really psyched about this game, and how I love the style.. but here are some things I noticed....

About 1 minute into the movie you'll notice there's an NPC cowering in fear in the movie store, he's stuck in a loop animation. You can see him do the same animation at least 3 times.

also note how the AI for Kane runs into Lynch, and then runs off... not assisting him in taking down the hostile target. Looks like the AI can't quite keep up with the frantic pace of the game sometimes. I assume Kane ran off to take cover somewhere, since it looks like a similar system as Kane & Lynch 1 where your team mate mimics what you do. (If you crouch, they crouch, etc...)

The ragdolls look very springy.. about 3.5 minutes into the movie, you can see an enemy kinda go flying after Lynch fires a shotgun at him.

The "down but not dead" does not seem to apply to all enemies. You can see Lynch shooting a SWAT enemy briefly, and he dies instantly. Didn't look like a headshot either... so perhaps "down but not dead" is a random occurance among enemies.

Lynch's hair seems only partially animated. It only seems to move when he's knocked down

If you'll notice, several times when Lynch enters an area... a counter appears at the top of the screen with a "record" button on it. At first I thought this was a countdown, upon closer examination it appears to be counting up. I'm not sure if this is just another aspect of the whole visual camcorder style they're trying to do, or it has some in-game significance.

Toward the end, the HUD displayed several distance indicators of enemies. I noticed that this happened when Lynch was in a wide-open space. Will the HUD mark all enemies like this, or just specific ones, I wonder. It also will probably be used to direct you to the next waypoint to progress the story.

One of Seven
24th Apr 2010, 20:39
Badass game right here.

Bionicicide
24th Apr 2010, 20:45
The only thing I'm disappointed in is that the HUD (including contextual pop-up buttons) doesn't carry over the digital camera style with a digital camera HUD (bits). That's just nit-picking.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5025/camerascreen001.jpg

TheMoD
24th Apr 2010, 21:01
If you'll notice, several times when Lynch enters an area... a counter appears at the top of the screen with a "record" button on it. At first I thought this was a countdown, upon closer examination it appears to be counting up. I'm not sure if this is just another aspect of the whole visual camcorder style they're trying to do, or it has some in-game significance.

It just shows you what time it is ingame.
Anyway I think it looks very very awesome

BeardedHoplite
24th Apr 2010, 21:14
. That's just nit-picking.

]

I call it ****-picking:D

The video increased my need for this game by my 70000%
Also Mr. Lund, your accent is very thick. But that's cool

Bionicicide
24th Apr 2010, 22:44
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9756/kanelynch2mockup001.jpg

Mock-up.

Bevacur
24th Apr 2010, 23:18
ZOMG, the animation of Lynch is amazing! I lol'd when Lynch got shot and fell over near the beginning.

JackGordon
24th Apr 2010, 23:19
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9756/kanelynch2mockup001.jpg

Mock-up.
That would be a nice touch. Maybe as an unlockable extra after finishing the game or something?

UhUh
25th Apr 2010, 06:10
Yes please, do as Bionicicide said!

also, anyone else is happy to hear that they have 4 months of bug testing? in this time they can ultra polish it.

Ashrak Aiemain
25th Apr 2010, 07:39
That LS in the middle of the screen when you're in cover is gonna get old real fast.

razorback420
25th Apr 2010, 07:42
any 1 on here a member to betaestgamers

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 12:43
Yes please, do as Bionicicide said!

also, anyone else is happy to hear that they have 4 months of bug testing? in this time they can ultra polish it.

So does that mean the game is complete?

TheMoD
25th Apr 2010, 12:47
That LS in the middle of the screen when you're in cover is gonna get old real fast.

Yea i agree it's pretty useless, it's not like youll ever forget what the left stick is for while in cover. It reminds me of gears of war with its waay to big icons, it would be best without any icons, theyre just irritating

Moeez
25th Apr 2010, 16:23
The environmental detail is insane. When he runs past the civilians and then they cower, then the moped drives off, and the police car shows up. So freakin' immersive, more than any cutscene. And Lynch in the shop with the crazy light sources and flares, very appealing.

AI is tough, too, like at the end where he sneaks upon the police officer bribing with the gangs.

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 16:40
The environmental detail is insane. When he runs past the civilians and then they cower, then the moped drives off, and the police car shows up. So freakin' immersive, more than any cutscene. And Lynch in the shop with the crazy light sources and flares, very appealing.

AI is tough, too, like at the end where he sneaks upon the police officer bribing with the gangs.

One of my favorite scenes. The game looks like it has some life in it for a change.

Is it me or does it look really great when Lynch is sprinting towards the scene where the police car shows up? It looks so...real!

Nick@IO
25th Apr 2010, 16:44
So does that mean the game is complete?

It's content complete, yes, and polish is more or less done. What the team is doing now is sort of QA-driven polish, meaning ironing out the last kinks, optimizing networking code and so on. This will go on until submission, which is not too far off in the future. So we're actually not that far from gold. :eek:

Ashrak Aiemain
25th Apr 2010, 16:58
^That is amazing news.

BeardedHoplite
25th Apr 2010, 17:42
It's content complete, yes, and polish is more or less done. What the team is doing now is sort of QA-driven polish, meaning ironing out the last kinks, optimizing networking code and so on. This will go on until submission, which is not too far off in the future. So we're actually not that far from gold. :eek:

Sweet, just gimme some info on the special versions and my pre-order is down

SlashPrower
25th Apr 2010, 18:51
Yeah, the world seems much more alive than the first game. It actually seemed like people were after you rather than just bots at pre-scripted events.

I like how there's this much time going on for testing. Lots of testing= better game :)

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 19:13

Time is flying fast!

Bionicicide
25th Apr 2010, 19:58
Yea i agree it's pretty useless, it's not like youll ever forget what the left stick is for while in cover. It reminds me of gears of war with its waay to big icons, it would be best without any icons, theyre just irritating
Yeah... I wish games would just give us a menu option to turn those icons off. Wouldn't hurt anyone.

Ashrak Aiemain
25th Apr 2010, 21:10
Yeah, an option would be a nice way to keep it there for casuals, but let people take it off it they want to.

YoungZer0
26th Apr 2010, 07:40
Here (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/kaneandlynch2dogdays/video/6259996?hd=1)

*fap, fap, fap, fap*

Seriously, it looks fantastic. Everything i see, everything i hear makes me think of one thing: This is probably going to be IO's best game.

I freaking love the locations, everything looks so alive and believable. The shooting mechanics, the animations, the visual style.

The only thing that bothers me is what Bionicicide mentioned. But that's just nit-picking, because the rest of the game looks so fantastic.

Can not wait.

killingroad1986
26th Apr 2010, 16:51
I'm not sure if I like the down but not dead mechanic. It looks very awkward how you can go down, and get up into cover right away. Other than that the game looks fantastic!

Moeez
27th Apr 2010, 07:53
I'm very impressed that you guys have so much time for polishing until August. Usually, most game companies have a month.

I say this because from the footage I can't nitpick anything about it. Some animations look too fast, but that's really not a bad/good thing, just an observation.

Bawabus
27th Apr 2010, 17:39
I'm really impressed by what's shown; the game has definitely moved in the right direction. I only have three critiques:

The way the wood breaks looks a little too clean--more well-done particle effects blowing out the back when cover's getting shot at would make the event a lot more visceral/interesting.

The speed at which you can get up after getting knocked down, and how you're immediately back to full health when you do seems a little silly, but I'm not sure what difficulty the game's being played on--or if different difficulties are even implemented yet.

Gore, not necessarily clouds of blood, but some on character indication that bullets are doin' damage would be a good addition.

It looks awesome so far; they just need to make sure the AI's smart enough, and the level design tight enough, to keep the individual fights enjoyable. Shooting galleries are not interesting at all; you need to give the AI the tools to make your life hard if you're sitting still.

Nick@IO
27th Apr 2010, 19:24
I'm not sure if I like the down but not dead mechanic. It looks very awkward how you can go down, and get up into cover right away. Other than that the game looks fantastic!

Looking at as opposed to playing the game are two extremely different experiences. We discovered that the experience is best played, second best viewed on video and a slightly harder sell as screenshots. I'm sure you'll find that down not dead actually adds a lot to the experience when you try it out yourself.

Garrett Vega
27th Apr 2010, 20:22
Ok. But how do you explain Lynch falling down from getting shot and getting up into cover instantly? On one hand it helps you feel the impact of getting shot with say a spas 12, but on the other hand getting up so fast seems unrealistic as hell.

Falkenwut
27th Apr 2010, 21:12
Yeah I noticed that down not dead mechanic seems a tiny bit off... It looks like an instanty recovery method if you're with a wall.. I'm guessing that it's a mechanic where the character is knocked down.. not hailed with bullets (i.e. not like with the flashback mechanism in K&L1) Just guessing here...

EDIT: I just read the fact the IOI is just cleaning up a little of the game till august.. does this mean we'll hear of a demo coming soon? pretty please? :D

SlashPrower
27th Apr 2010, 21:25
It is imperative that you release a demo on PSN at the same time. I will not stand for a demo being released on Xbox Live before PSN! >___O

Nick@IO
28th Apr 2010, 07:46
EDIT: I just read the fact the IOI is just cleaning up a little of the game till august.. does this mean we'll hear of a demo coming soon? pretty please? :D

Depends on what you define by 'soon'. But, yeah. A demo is likely, though I cannot confirm.

Nick@IO
28th Apr 2010, 07:48
Ok. But how do you explain Lynch falling down from getting shot and getting up into cover instantly? On one hand it helps you feel the impact of getting shot with say a spas 12, but on the other hand getting up so fast seems unrealistic as hell.

There's still loads of tweaking going on. I can't say that this won't happen in the final product but the guys are tweaking everything at the moment.

Moeez
28th Apr 2010, 08:35
There's still loads of tweaking going on. I can't say that this won't happen in the final product but the guys are tweaking everything at the moment.

Would it be cool if Lynch got up slower due to which gun he was shot by?

If he got hit by a shotgun, he stumbled a little up to the cover to get to standing height, while with a pistol or SMG, he got faster up into action? That could be some awesome attention to detail, something people would notice a lot throughout the course of the game.

Falkenwut
28th Apr 2010, 10:13
Depends on what you define by 'soon'. But, yeah. A demo is likely, though I cannot confirm.

Def: soon: –adverb,-er, -est.
1. within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.
2. before long; in the near future; at an early date:

These 2 defintions I had to place xD hehe sorry for being a smart @$$

Anywas.. What I meant by soon is from here (now; present) till before August... Preferably that is.

Bawabus
28th Apr 2010, 16:57
Thanks for answering questions and concerns as best you can, Mr. Nick. Certainly appreciate it.

As a community manager, do you witness any of the play testing and tweaking going on? are you in the IOI offices with everything going on? or are you just fed information second hand? Just wonderin'.

Nick@IO
28th Apr 2010, 18:52
Thanks for answering questions and concerns as best you can, Mr. Nick. Certainly appreciate it.

As a community manager, do you witness any of the play testing and tweaking going on? are you in the IOI offices with everything going on? or are you just fed information second hand? Just wonderin'.

I'm in the building and part of the IO team. I play the game daily and talk to the guys constantly. I even get to give feedback on the titles (and, more importantly, I provide the devs with YOUR feedback as well). So, yeah, I'm pretty close to the action.

Bevacur
28th Apr 2010, 19:14
Do the devs themsleves occasionaly look on this forum?

Acid_Burn
28th Apr 2010, 19:59
Yes, dev.team is reading this forum.

SlashPrower
28th Apr 2010, 21:04
Would it be cool if Lynch got up slower due to which gun he was shot by?

If he got hit by a shotgun, he stumbled a little up to the cover to get to standing height, while with a pistol or SMG, he got faster up into action? That could be some awesome attention to detail, something people would notice a lot throughout the course of the game.

Dude, that would be awesome.

If the dev team is reading this, then that's just more of a reason to release a demo so we can point out everything and be nitpickers :D

BeardedHoplite
29th Apr 2010, 00:14
nitpickers :D

****-pickers

killingroad1986
29th Apr 2010, 05:32
I think the down but not dead would be helped by a slow animation of Lynch using the wall to get up. He was shot, he isn't going to spring back to the wall instantly unless his crazy pills give him crazy powers as well. :D I think the mechanic will shine when you are more out in the open and you are crawling back to cover while bullets are whizzing by your head knowing that anyone of them could end your life.

Bionicicide
29th Apr 2010, 05:45
I think the down but not dead would be helped by a slow animation of Lynch using the wall to get up. He was shot, he isn't going to spring back to the wall instantly unless his crazy pills give him crazy powers as well. :D I think the mechanic will shine when you are more out in the open and you are crawling back to cover while bullets are whizzing by your head knowing that anyone of them could end your life.
I wouldn't mind that.

Maybe if you kill the enemy that downs you, you get to stand up fast (w/ full health too?) RISK/REWARD
*Also if teammate comes to your aid you can stand up just as fast.*

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 13:36
Yes, dev.team is reading this forum.

On behalf of myself I sincerly apologize for making the devs from IO go nuts by reading my comments ... seriously there's no need to hide the truth , i know a bunch of them have been hospitalized because of me and it's hurting the game's developement so it's my fault if Dog Days doesn't become Game of the Year ...

There i said it ...