PDA

View Full Version : Replay value, besides multiplayer

petersjov
11th Apr 2010, 14:09
Yeahh, felt like doing a new tread on something...

I just played through FEAR2 on the hardest level, NICE! - and it was a good playthrough very dynamic gun fights....anyway back on the subject !!

What are you thoughts on playing through K&L2 more than once ?, i hope there are some good incentive to do so, one could start with the whole
co-op, that could provide a different feeling playing with different people, also if the enemy AI is some what good/random in its performance, thats also nice when playing a game more than once.

I do expect a story-on-rails, i dont have the need for different endings, or the abillity to change the story at different pathways, I just want i GOOD story :cool:

What are you thoughts on playing through K&L2 more than once ?,

SlashPrower
11th Apr 2010, 14:57
I might play it through once, and then again on a harder difficulty. The addition of online co-op means I'm probably going to be replaying some levels quite a bit.

Kent-45
11th Apr 2010, 21:59
I'm going to replay KL2 one time for every social life I don't have.

JackGordon
11th Apr 2010, 22:24
As long as they don't include retarded grinding chievo's such as 'kill 100.000 enemies', I'll probably keep playing the campaign for as long as I damn well please.

petersjov
12th Apr 2010, 13:31
I'll probably keep playing the campaign for as long as I damn well please.

Yeah im with you, on that one, im still a little sad i skipped AO2 40day, but there was other games, now im pump for K&L2 a few days after my birthday ;-)

Anyway, if i see everything on first playthrough, and evry scene plays out the same way on the second playthrough a game Better be good, if im going to play it more than once.

killingroad1986
14th Apr 2010, 01:58
I played through the original quite a few times in SP and MP so unless IO makes their first ****ty game, I don't see this changing.

Garrett Vega
19th Apr 2010, 18:47
A problem with games today is that the single player is like 10 hours long. Kane Lynch was no exception. Hell, I finished it in less than 8 hours the first time around. So I think it would be nice to have some extra high difficulty challenge levels (like in Batman AA) and a couple of higher difficulty settings that unlock once you beat the game on normal, then on hard, etc. Obviously, multiplayer will add value as well, but not everyone is into multiplayer and I think players deserve to get more than just a 10 hour campaign for their 60 bucks.

Or at least the ability to add bots in multiplayer matches would be nice, so one could play the multiplayer mode along with some bots (or offline, kind of a skirmish thing). I don't see a problem programming bots so they would occasionally shoot team members in the back randomly.

Any other ideas?

Brackstone17
19th Apr 2010, 20:17
If something is good enough, it doesn't need any bells and whistles to add replay value. I played the first Kane and Lynch about 7 or 8 times, just because it was that good to me. Likewise, I'm on my third playthrough of Far Cry 2 and I have over 100 hours logged as a Sniper on xbox TF2. Those games I listed are all completely different, yet many games similar to those I can barely play once through. There isn't any specific thing that adds replay value, it's just an overall quality for me.

Kent-45
19th Apr 2010, 20:31
I will say it again, so IOInteractive can hear me...

ACHIEVEMENTS AND UNLOCKABLES ARE THE KEY TO REPLAYABILITY.

FRESH MAPS FOR FRAGILE ALLIANCE ARE THE KEY TO REPLAYABILITY

RELEASING PATCHES REGULARLY IS THE KEY TO REPLAYABILITY.

this is the "holy trinity" of how to measure whether or not a game is very replayable. If IOInteractive does these things, Kane & Lynch 2 will have a lot of replayability. If they take their traditional approach, it will fall by the wayside bargain-bin limbo just like Hitman Blood Money and Kane & Lynch 1 and will only be remembered by a few die-hards.

JackGordon
19th Apr 2010, 20:59
^ This man speaketh the truth!

Garrett Vega
19th Apr 2010, 21:06
That man is a good example of what's wrong with the industry today. Achievements are a cheap and poor excuse to replay the linear single player. Any developer can do better than that, especially IOI.

JackGordon
19th Apr 2010, 21:49
That man is a good example of what's wrong with the industry today. Achievements are a cheap and poor excuse to replay the linear single player. Any developer can do better than that, especially IOI.
Just because one likes getting achievements doesn't mean one is unable to enjoy the game itself. Besides, back in the days there were no achievements and people still played their games on harder difficulties just for fun or in some cases to get a reward (such as infinite ammo etc.). I obtained my 1100G & platinum trophy for Bioshock (I own both console versions) a long time ago but I still replay that game at least twice a year. I still replay Kane & Lynch: Dead Men regularly on Morphine, just for fun.

Now, when we're talking about "Kill 100.000 enemies"-achievements, then yes, those are cheap and a poor excuse to lenghten the game.

Garrett Vega
19th Apr 2010, 23:06
What I mean is that back in the day there were more reasons to replay games, rather than just achievements. But with current gen public having such low standards that they are totally happy with a series of silly achievements like "score 47 headshots" or even "completethe game", it's understandable that developers don't see a reason to spend extra time adding some real replay value. Hell, with idiots paying 10 to 15 bucks for 3 multiplayer maps for Halo, Gears or Modern Warfare (and one of those three maps being a remake of a map from a previous game), there's hardly a point to even fill the entire DVD9 with content.

petersjov
20th Apr 2010, 07:19
Some good comments !!

I never played any game for achievements, But i do LOVE it when on pops up, and tells me, that i did something great ;-)

Neither do i play multiplayer that much ,but who knows ?

On the topic, in this age of gaming we see a lot of collect this, collect that - but not many games is fun enough to keep on playing just to collect stuff... (Bad: assasin creed 1, Good: just cause 2)

Im 82.3 % sure theres a collect something.. in K&L2...

JackGordon
20th Apr 2010, 10:18
Im 82.3 % sure theres a collect something.. in K&L2...
Collect Kane & Lynch clothes scattered all over Shanghai? ;)

petersjov
20th Apr 2010, 13:37
Collect Kane & Lynch clothes scattered all over Shanghai? ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey!! you could have stumbled on the something, a tie-in to that first "weird" youtube video, where they look kind of naked ?, and getting attack by dogs. -Thats why the clothes is scattered all over Shanghai !!

Shhhh, lets keep it a secret between us !! :whistle:

Bevacur
22nd Apr 2010, 11:32
Unlockable clothes like The Force Unleashed, challenges like Splinter Cell Conviction, dlc of course, a engine that randomises events just like Left 4 Dead, multiple pathways.

Multiplayer is my best bet to make this game longer unfortunately. Co-op seems to be a strong point for his game so why not do what Splinter Cell Conviction did? Add game modes like gang hunt, survive as long as you can from cops, a completely seperate prequel game mode where you play as Lych and Glacier?

I copied and pasted my own reply from Grevious's multiplayer thread:

"All i can think of is some 'horde' mode.

Two players start in a house or some dug out hole in the middle of the street while being attacked by all sorts.

Maybe a 'chase' mode?

Depending on difficulty, two players have to get from one side to another side of the map with a timer and with loads of enemies. The objective is to get to the escape car.

On easy you get a longer timer and less enemies and easy to kill.
On insane you got less time, more enemies and they are harder to kill.

Now that i think about this 'chase' game mode, it will fit the crazy shoot-out, insane, intense gameplay the devs wanted. It would be a challenge and could come in sets just like Modern Warfare 2 Spec-ops.

The camera angles, settings will fit the frantic escape to get to the other side of the map would be fun. Dragging each other's ass's towards the end will be a struggle, isnt that what the devs also wanted to achieve?"

Kent-45
23rd Apr 2010, 02:31
One of the biggest things I loved doing in Hitman Contracts was unlocking and collecting all those weapons on the glass display walls. It was fun pulling off missions to retrieve that rare weapon to complete the set on the wall.

I hope that Kane & Lynch 2 has a sort of "training room" of sorts where you can collect guns, mess around, shoot up things at your leisure, etc..

Garrett Vega
23rd Apr 2010, 08:36
Doubt that. It's not the kind of game where collecting guns would make any sense.

Kent-45
23rd Apr 2010, 15:15
Doubt that. It's not the kind of game where collecting guns would make any sense.

You're arguing for things to "make sense" in a game about a one-eyed ex mercenary and a medicated schizophrenic psychopath?

you're missing the whole point. Of course it doesn't make sense. It's designed to be something fun to keep people playing.

One of Seven
23rd Apr 2010, 15:21
Whatever Kent, Kane and Lynch are real.

Garrett Vega
23rd Apr 2010, 16:05
You're arguing for things to "make sense" in a game about a one-eyed ex mercenary and a medicated schizophrenic psychopath?

you're missing the whole point. Of course it doesn't make sense. It's designed to be something fun to keep people playing.

You missed my point. However, I guess I didn't explain it properly.

What I meant is that it's a linear story-driven campaign that doesn't have the same mission structure as Hitman did. It's not just a series of missions, so having a collection of guns from the levels would be pointless and would look out of place. It just wouldn't make sense to have such a pointless feature.

Kent-45
23rd Apr 2010, 21:17
You missed my point. However, I guess I didn't explain it properly.

What I meant is that it's a linear story-driven campaign that doesn't have the same mission structure as Hitman did. It's not just a series of missions, so having a collection of guns from the levels would be pointless and would look out of place. It just wouldn't make sense to have such a pointless feature.

Kane & Lynch had a training level. Kane & Lynch 2 should have one. Collecting guns is a very popular theme among IOInteractive titles. If you had played any of them you would know this.

zephyr1991
24th Apr 2010, 07:45
Yes but the training levels of Kane and Lynch were story driven. In the second one the first level is going to be another training level, but you move on.

Hitman's hideout level is just there to be there :/

Brackstone17
24th Apr 2010, 16:58
Considering the latest video said we'll be picking up all our guns off fallen enemies, I doubt there will be a hideout type thing to store guns.

Garrett Vega
24th Apr 2010, 17:54
Kane & Lynch had a training level. Kane & Lynch 2 should have one. Collecting guns is a very popular theme among IOInteractive titles. If you had played any of them you would know this.

Funny you should say that, because I've been playing the Hitman series since Hitman 1 was released. And good job, you missed my point again. Hitman games were all about replay value, so it did make sense there to collect guns. In K&L2 it doesn't, given the context.

Falkenwut
25th Apr 2010, 10:39
For replay value I would add a challenge mode

Like example.. Kill # enemies in # time
or like finish level in # time (obstacle course)

or something like that

petersjov
25th Apr 2010, 13:54
There is another tread for this, but there is an FA offline mode with bots, and leaderboards - its going to be great to se what in this package ;-)

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 14:25
Do a challenge just like Metal Gear solid 4. Take pictures of Kane & Lynch before they die. JOKE that would be horrific and may cause mental scarring. Sometimes i question my sexuality... or im just going partially insane.

I still think there should be a horde mode. 2 or 1 player with offline and online leaderboards. Destruction is very high and waves of enemies are always different. You can choose your level from different places from the campaign AND from the first game such as the bank heist.

For replay value i would love to see challenges like Splinter Cell: Conviction P.E.C challenges. For Kane & Lynch it could be C.A.C (Criminal activity challenges) With goals like destory £500,000 worth of damages or kill X amount of civilians with X amount of ammo or with a certain weapon.

Modern Warfare 2 spec-ops was amazing. The devs could do challenges like take over a certain place and hold it for X amount of time. And comes in 3 sets Yob (Easy) Criminal (Medium) and of course Mobster (Hard). DLC could add more challenges.

Free-mode destruction. For me, blowing stuff up and destroying everything i see is amazing. I spent hours ripping up a level in Red Faction Guerilla, Blowing stuff up in Stranglehold and shooting maps up in Black. This could be singleplayer or co-op and you have to destroy as much as you can in a certain amount of time.

Garrett Vega
25th Apr 2010, 14:53
There won't be any real destruction. Just some destructible cover, similar to K&L1

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 15:02
Thats what i meant. You reall think i was talking about destroying buildings brick by brick? Maybe i chose Red Faction as a wrong example. I want destruction just like Stranglehold and Black. Concrete fall off pillars, glass explodes, traffic signs fall off, maybe a chunk of a wall comes off after a explosion goes off near by from a car. That sort of stuff.

Garrett Vega
25th Apr 2010, 15:35
I see. But still, I somehow doubt the destruction will be even remotely close to stranglehold. It had a superior unreal engine and that's probably why it handles destruction so well.

Bevacur
25th Apr 2010, 16:05
Fine. A much more better upgraded version of destruction than the first game, happy now?

Garrett Vega
25th Apr 2010, 16:40
Since when is it about me being happy? I'm just saying that if you hope for some really kick ass destruction, you're out of luck.

petersjov
25th Apr 2010, 18:39
I see. But still, I somehow doubt the destruction will be even remotely close to stranglehold. It had a superior unreal engine and that's probably why it handles destruction so well.

No,i remember something about it being something the studio made themself,or they did merge Unreal, with something else - the unreal engine still does not do destruktion that great....just my impresion:)

On the topic, I just want the destruction to feel right, the right amount...and when i play the game again,or more, and more it feel new every time.

....somebody make a destruction topic in the Off-Topic Discussion :nut: , me like.

BeardedHoplite
26th Apr 2010, 20:23
There won't be any real destruction. Just some destructible cover, similar to K&L1

And in this type of game, why would you want more?
I don't think Dog Days would gain anything from going all Red Faction with the physics. Besides, the interiors in Red Faction sucked.

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 14:09
How about different A.I. scripting in every playthrough ? ...