PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Environmental damage and Razielim in Freeport

Monowar
25th Mar 2014, 01:02
This is more of a continuation of a post started in the General Nosgoth forum, but the current implementation of environmental hazards in maps simultaneously makes and breaks my immersion.

On one hand, I really appreciate the fact that Razielim die when they fall into the water-body in Freeport, a definite nod to the franchise's staple water-based weakness for vampires but, at the same time, it breaks my immersion when I am unable to drop a human into the same water body.

I understand that balancing is hard enough without giving vampires such an absurdly sure-fire insta-kill, but I have a few propositions that may help balance it out. (Note some of these solutions are mutually exclusive)

1. Make dropping humans into water bodies only a temporary inconvenience : As suggested by user Slyzeroth, humans dropped into water-bodies can have an automatic animation play which shows them swimming back to the coast.

2. Put in more environmental hazards that damage instead of outright kill : Having more static objects like fires, fountains, and maybe even spikes that cause damage to players who pass through them might add another strategic element to it.

3. Putting in environmental weaponry for human usage: Environmental weaponry was a big part of the Soul Reaver games, and while it may not be possible nor feasible to implement weaponry that can be picked up Stationary Weapons like, as suggested by Vampmaster, a spear-launcher (or atlatl) may both give the human players another arsenal to combat vampires dynamically with while, at the same time, utilizing another LoK staple mechanic- impalement.

I will attempt to update this thread as I get more suggestions from the community, but I sincerely hope that some of these are to the liking of the design team. The core experience you guys are trying to portray is definitely something I enjoy, and I hope our suggestions can help you.

cmstache
25th Mar 2014, 02:24
1. Make dropping humans into water bodies only a temporary inconvenience : As suggested by user Slyzeroth, humans dropped into water-bodies can have an automatic animation play which shows them swimming back to the coast.

3. Putting in environmental weaponry for human usage: Environmental weaponry was a big part of the Soul Reaver games, and while it may not be possible nor feasible to implement weaponry that can be picked up Stationary Weapons like, as suggested by Vampmaster, a spear-launcher (or atlatl) may both give the human players another arsenal to combat vampires dynamically with while, at the same time, utilizing another LoK staple mechanic- impalement.

1. I absolutely love this.

3. Time for my "stormbow/crossbow hybrid?"

Monowar
25th Mar 2014, 15:24
3. Time for my "stormbow/crossbow hybrid?"

Maybe without the explosion thing. I was thinking more of a stationary turret that has a limited number of shots. Each shot stuns/impales vampires to the wall behind them if they get hit.