PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with sound and framerates

D2 Ultima
15th Apr 2010, 06:09
Hi everybody. I'm trying to play this game using my laptop here but I'm encountering serious problems with it. Each time I try to play it, regardless of the visual settings, there's extreme lag at all times, sometimes frames dropping to the low teens, rarely hitting 30 frames or above. This is accompanied by a sort of stuttering with the audio at all times one can hear many sounds, especially voice. It does *not* happen during any cut-scenes; for instance the opening one where batman and joker are riding in the batmobile to Arkham.

These audio problems seem to be the cause of my graphical lag, because in certain parts of the game where there are not many sounds or music (for instance when you first get the blowing up gel and have cleared out all enemies; and you start picking up gordon's trial, there aren't many sounds and the game runs smoothly; however those moments are rather rare and it doesn't make for a very enjoyable game experience.

I've read that the game has issues with those using realtek sound cards in some documentation found with the game, however as I am on (and only own) a laptop, I cannot change my sound card. Could somebody please help me with this issue? A patch or a fix for it? I did pay good money for this game and I'd like to be able to actually enjoy it.

I should mention that I can fully max out the demo @ 1920 x 1200 res and very high settings (never tried AA in either the demo or the full game though) and play without any problems. The problems are only in the full game.

EDIT: Fully max out including putting PhysX on high (yes high. On a laptop. I'm not joking.)

deders
15th Apr 2010, 10:07
have you updated your laptop's drivers, especially your realtek sound?

D2 Ultima
15th Apr 2010, 16:19
Yes, I've updated drivers many many times. I've had this problem since I first tried the game back in november. I tried the demo, and then my friend had a cracked copy which I tried out by him. It gave me the same problem here (I figured it was the crack at the time) so I left it. Then over christmas I bought it legitimately from Steam through their Eidos Collector's Pack; but I got the same problem. I've since then re-installed my OS (which means any residual errors from the cracked version I once tried are gone) but it still gives me those problems. I'm currently using the latest drivers from nVidia for my graphics card (I say latest because I only installed it four days ago straight from their website). My realtek sound has been updated to its latest version before, but it did not introduce any noticable difference in the performance or features. After reinstalling my OS (done last month) I used the driver CD that came with the system and left it as-is. Neither the latest driver nor the driver-disc version show any difference

Marcus
15th Apr 2010, 16:28
What OS? If XP, you can manually disable Realtek audio acceleration, which has helped a few people.

D2 Ultima
15th Apr 2010, 17:56
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Windows XP sucks lol

EDIT: Bleah here's my whole system's specs (I doubt it would help though)
Intel core i7-950 @ 3.06 GHz
6 GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 triple channel memory 1066MHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 280m 1GB GDDR3
Realtek 3D audio integrated sound card (up to 5.1 surround sound)
nVidia driver versions batman was tested on --> 186.03, 186.81, 195.21, 195.55 (Beta, non-WHQL), 195.62, 197.16 (current version)
Problem is consistent across all driver versions listed above.

D2 Ultima
16th Apr 2010, 18:20
No possible fix yet guys... does anybody have anything further to offer?

deders
16th Apr 2010, 18:21
have you tried lowering or disabling the realtek's audio acceleration?

D2 Ultima
17th Apr 2010, 00:06
have you tried lowering or disabling the realtek's audio acceleration?

Isn't that option disabled in Windows Vista and 7? Along with hardware acceleration?

D2 Ultima
17th Apr 2010, 23:28
*sigh* bump?

deders
18th Apr 2010, 06:56
I've just had a look and although Hardware acceleration is still used in games, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch it off. Is there anything in the realtek control panel than might help?

D2 Ultima
18th Apr 2010, 10:05
I've just had a look and although Hardware acceleration is still used in games, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch it off. Is there anything in the realtek control panel than might help?

There isn't anything in there. I had problems broadcasting with Xfire previously, I used to run my sound at 24 bit 9600 KHz and it messed up certain things, but I lowered it to normal 16 bit 4800 and it fixed all other audio-related problems. I think this is something Eidos should patch, the game's documentation suggests problems with realtek sound cards but doesn't give a fix for anything other than windows XP. Pure laziness on their part if you ask me.

Same reason I can't use my cordless rumblepad with the game. Only accepts those stupid Xbox 360 controllers. Like half of all integrated sound cards are realtek

deders
18th Apr 2010, 10:11
Completely agree on both points, they worked with nvidia for the graphics so why not realtek? and for the 360 pad, what is the point in having the ability to choose whatever controller you like if only the 1 type works?

D2 Ultima
18th Apr 2010, 17:16
Completely agree on both points, they worked with nvidia for the graphics so why not realtek? and for the 360 pad, what is the point in having the ability to choose whatever controller you like if only the 1 type works?

You *can't* even choose whichever you like. It doesn't accept button remappings unless it's using an Xbox. I don't own an Xbox 360. Why the hell would I buy this game for the PC if I owned an Xbox? I'd just play it on the Xbox and not worry about any problems whatsoever!

*sigh*. Any ideas on how to get someone who is supposed to be like one of their actual tech support people in here? I really have gone too long without being able to enjoy this game >_>

deders
18th Apr 2010, 17:18
You *can't* even choose whichever you like. It doesn't accept button remappings unless it's using an Xbox. I don't own an Xbox 360. Why the hell would I buy this game for the PC if I owned an Xbox? I'd just play it on the Xbox and not worry about any problems whatsoever!>_>

well exactly

There are a few people on the forum who do work with eidos but i don't think the actual tech support guys are on here unfortunately

D2 Ultima
18th Apr 2010, 19:48
*sigh* I figured as much. Stupid eidos... And after those beloved hitman games too... *sigh*