PDA

View Full Version : I have just finished my book and would like some advice from the fans

bonedaddy61086
13th Apr 2010, 07:22
(please forgive my typos and grammer)

I have just completed my book wich pretty much is just a retelling of the soul reaver series (havent completed blood omen series yet) but in doing so i found myself in a little bit of a dilemma. At the end of the series Raziel becomes Kains right hand again becoming what is the true essance of the soul reaver (for a lack of a better way of summing it up). I am thinking of continuing on the story from there but i have no idea as to wether or not i should keep Raziel involved anymore. As i dont have a lot of people that i can talk with that are fans where i live, i figured i would ask here and see what fans think.
here are the possible outcomes i have come up with.
1. Raziel can speak with Kain but takes no form of his own. He is the will of the sword, sort of an advisor as to say. Being as how he is always with Kain in his blade it would make sence that they can speak to each other in a tellepathic sence as Raziel was a spector to say.
2. Raziel can take a spirit form / ghost like the lady of the pillers. can do no physical work in the realm of the living but can aid Kain in his quest in the spirit realm treading on the realms that Kain is unable to attain by physical means.
3. Raziel no longer exists, but Kain has memories or "flashbacks" of him, feeding his determination to continue to undo the mistakes he has learnd from on his journeys.
4. Raziel does not exist, but because he has givin the damnd blade its full power, Kain now has the ability to travel between the material and spectral plain. In thus doing so, Kain learns to understand better how Raziel was able to do what he did in the soul reaver series, not really dwelling on him, but more for like referance sake.
5. everyone tells me dont bother with a book and let the people at eidos do what they do best. (be gentle if this is your choice as i do have feelings)

at the end of soul reaver, Kain wishd to undo his mistakes, but never really stated if that meant he wanted to save nosgoth, or still damn it but be smarter about how he did it. i am going with both, so i may use one of my 5 options for one and another for the other. but i would also love input from everyone as its always the fans that make these things great. so throw out some ideas! you may see what i write in a store neer you someday.
Thanks,
B

Aranor
13th Apr 2010, 15:25
My first thoughts would be to go with option 5. The way you wrote it I presume you have no intillectual or copy rights to write the book. Thus any attempts to publish will end badly for you.

As for the other options. 1) Raziel was never shown using telepathy while in the sword. If he had young Kain would have known it was Raziel. 2) If Raziel could take on his spectral form then the ancient version of himself would have been seen by Ariel and or his younger wraith self. 3) Sounds like the way to go but Kain has enough drive. 4) It is debatable if Kain now has Raziels powers ( I vote for yes)

One other option which is debatable is what happens to Raziels soul after Kains portion it absorbed. Did it have the strength to retain its form on its own or after all those millenia did it say "finally" and let itself go to the wheel?

Raziel'sRevenge
13th Apr 2010, 20:38
One other option which is debatable is what happens to Raziels soul after Kains portion it absorbed. Did it have the strength to retain its form on its own or after all those millenia did it say "finally" and let itself go to the wheel?

The soul that was already in the blade purified Kain (and was thus "used up" in the process), and Raziel's soul (the newer version anyhow) replaced it. He's been accounted for, so that would be difficult to do. Not impossible, but difficult.

I'd have to go with option 4 honestly. I'd love to see what Kain would make of the spectral realm, it opens up a vast avenue of directions to take the story in, and even makes sense. The Elder God exists in both realms, so it would make sense that killing him in one wouldn't do the trick (just like how you can kill Raziel in the material all you want to but he'll still just slip over to the spirit and be fine).

Also, ignore anyone who tells you to go with option 5. If this is something that you enjoy, go for it. People write fan fictions all the time, there are entire forums dedicated to posting them. If you try to get your work published you will indeed run across some major barriers, but only if you try to claim the work as entirely original and try to sell it. You can post it online for all to read however (give me a PM if you decide to do so, you've gotten my interest and I'd be more than willing to help out with a little editing if you need it).

bonedaddy61086
14th Apr 2010, 05:49
publishing the books really isnt that difficult when using other peoples material in all honesty. obviously i can not claim rights to the series storyline, that would be a complete rip off to the hard work and dedication that the creators have done and i would never want to do such a injustice.
if you look around video games are being made into books everywhere by writers who are willing to take it to the next step (warcraft, halo, diablo, star craft, etc.) and all it really intails is that you get permission from the company, they proof check it to see that it doesnt slander the name of there work, and then they take a portion of the money from it. its becoming more common then most people think and a lot of the fan fic stuff out there is becoming more and more public and a lot of creators are actually supporting it as they too love there work but due to contracts and other projects do not have the time to create these things themselves, so honestly i dont see to many issues in that field, and if so then it becomes a fan fic online and i just go about it that way.
THANKYOU SO MUCH RAZIELS REVENGE FOR RIPPING MY OWN THOUGHTS OUT ANS THINKING ALONG THE SAME LINES AS ME!!!! That is one of the main plans for my book is that The Elder God may have been defeated, but that does not necessarily mean he is gone.
I still think that the telepathy speak isnt a bad thing per sence cause honestly his jaw was gone and im pretty sure his vocal chords dissolved so i dont think he was ever truely talking through the games in the first place, plus its a frickin video game......... that kind of means limitless options.
but in all honesty i dont know if i would want to bring raziel back sence he kind of did his part. i dont want him there just to say he is, if i cant truely find a purpose to have him speak or come back then i would kind of like to leave him in his glory and leave it at that. the only reason why i consider it is because i am asking the input of the fans. if someone has a good idea it may inspire a completely new direction that i may think of and roll with.
but when i finally get this done (or maybe even a good chunk of it) ill make sure to put a link up here for everyone to check out so that we all can have just a lil bit more happiness in our world of nosgoth.

Aranor
16th Apr 2010, 15:55
I'll reword my first statement. I was not saying to give up so much as the trouble might get you to that point.

Popular games are being turned into comics and books yes. But they are also usually done by companies and or people the creating company contracts and usually with a story of their own in mind or laid out.

I still think that the telepathy speak isnt a bad thing per sence cause honestly his jaw was gone and im pretty sure his vocal chords dissolved so i dont think he was ever truely talking through the games in the first place, plus its a frickin video game......... that kind of means limitless options.

His jaw was gone yes but his cloth still moved. So Lets call it even on that one. As for the limitless options, not really. It is still an intilectual property which has a defined set of characters and story. Parameters are set and going beyond them may or may not be appealing.

Fanfictions are everywhere yes. And I have one on this site myself titled "The End". (Which I know now the story I made probably can't happen). But, those fan fictions are not making money from their writings. When it comes to royalties again with the contracts. Usually writers get the shaft for their work too. Consider this. How many times have you seen a movie and watched Story Written by (anyone who's name you remember) outside of a book turned movie? ie The Stand or something similar.
There are many people on this site trying to creat fan based games and have had a hard time even getting eidos to answer a phone. Normally when they do they get the "do not call us we will call you" routine.

Not being rude or condescending. Just being realistic. Its very easy to say "I'm gonna do this" without knowling the hurdles.

I am currently working on three books of my own creation and have twice now recieved return letters from marvel comics with the lines "We are not currently looking for writers"

For those with more writing experience check out this site http://www.writingforums.com

In know way am I saying to give up. But be open to the challenges ahead. And if you got fanfics post em. Love to read them and its a great way to get feedback on your writing.

bonedaddy61086
17th Apr 2010, 04:27
oh please dont feel that i took any offence to what you said as i have not. i understand constructive criticism even if it comes out sounding harsh. I do understand fully what it is you are saying, and maybe i am making it sound easier then it is wich i also do not mean to do.
fine we are even............ tellepathic lip syncing............. lol
there are many hurtles to overcome in these kinds of fields, but i just refuse to quit. honestly i dont mind if they never get published, just so long as its something fans can say they are proud of or at least can respect. i can live as a fanfic, it dont bother me none as long as i do what makes me happy.
but thanks for the feedback at least, if i dont here any others in the next 2 days im just gunna start going with my thoughts on the matter as how i see it and have fun with it.