PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO/MUSIC Main menu theme too depressing and foreboding.

Shirokurou
23rd Mar 2014, 11:30
So yeah, not sure if this is just me, but the main menu theme is really not doing it for me. You have to hear it a lot because it plays during the menu and while you search for matches.
I don't think the song itself is bad, but it would fit the vampires' introduction or a "You lose" screen, but not the main screen where you spend all of your time IMHO.
It reminds me of the God of War theme, only less pompous and more depressing. it grates on my ears after hearing it for too long ans actually lessens my want to play... so I try to put headphones on only after a match starts.

So maybe something more triumphant or just melodic in the beginning?

RainaAudron
23rd Mar 2014, 12:12
Depressing? I think that´s a matter of opinion... I personally really like it and I think it fits the theme of war well.

hirukaru
23rd Mar 2014, 12:20
So the best is to have them both in place....

Selection of theme?

Shirokurou
24th Mar 2014, 12:42
Music is highly subjective of course, but to me the Main Menu should entice you to play. Even it the war is foregone conclusion, you still have to be pumped up to go and fight?
This music is just...not doing it for me and would sound better as a "Loss screen" theme.

HoneyMuffins
24th Mar 2014, 12:48
I love it, I even hum along to it while my girlfriend looks on wards probably thinking "Why am I with this guy?". But I do think it is a matter of opinion though I haven't hear anyone else who has had an issue with it.

I do think the music should be "depressing" since the whole game is quite depressing, dead bodies, blood, destroyed buildings, kind of makes sense to have it like that but that's just me.

RainaAudron
24th Mar 2014, 12:53
I love it, I even hum along to it while my girlfriend looks on wards probably thinking "Why am I with this guy?".

Haha, Bazielim keeps singing it every time we plays the game and he doesn´t look depressed (until he gets his ass kicked) :rasp: :D

Also, these vamps have grim future and will degenerate few centuries from now and humans will be pushed back to their last retreat as Nosgoth decays over time. Not really sure what´s triumphant about it.

Tube_Reaver
24th Mar 2014, 12:55
I find the music to be very fitting for the theme of the game as a whole.
It is not meant to be an upbeat tune, Nosgoth as a setting is depressing (you'll notice this if you play the LoK games).
Also this game is about a war taking place in a corrupted and dying world, with only a bleak future to look forward to. The music can't be anything but what it is. I also quite like it myself.

Bazielim
24th Mar 2014, 22:15
Haha, Bazielim keeps singing it every time we plays the game and he doesn´t look depressed (until he gets his ass kicked) :rasp: :D

I thought my ears were burning;)
What's not to like? deep ominous chanting, unusual horn and orchestral sections - Kevin Riepl (now there's a familiar name, hey folks?:wave:) has done his job admirably well in my book. A perfect LoK soundtrack which seems to have taken influences from many of the old faves, I tip my hat to it... and have it on my phone already :D

shinros
25th Mar 2014, 10:41
I rather like the music myself the last time the developers were streaming I was asking if they could release a soundtrack for the game since I think overall the music is awesome. Plus I think the main theme fits the current situation.

lucinvampire
25th Mar 2014, 13:36
I really really really love the theme music :D I think it's really epic and adds to the atmosphere and anticipation of the game...fits well with the universe too (which so many were worried about if the music would...as well as other things heh). I have it on my Ipod and it plays randomly - it always sends me into the Nosgoth frame of mind...umm Nosgoth...

Though after playing so long it would be cool if it cycled through the other in-game music too.

Monowar
25th Mar 2014, 15:06
Personally, I think the dark depressing vibe of the main menu fits the setting perfectly.

That being said I can understand why this may be offsetting to certain people - the theme almost induces a sense of lethargy in players.

However, I believe some minor tweaks can make the song more energetic while, at the same time, keeping the Dark Gothic Vibe.

1. Make more usage of the drums/gongs you hear when the match is about to start. That maybe one of the singularly most impressive sound effects I have heard in a while just because of how it fits in with the theme and situation. Also, heavy beats are extremely energizing.

2. Incorporate some aspects of either the Main or Sarafan-Stronghold themes from Soul Reaver 2 or the Vampire Citadel from Defiance. I am not sure if you guys have the license to those songs. but those two pieces. more than anything demonstrated a sort of energetic darkness.

3. Unleash the cello - I think the cello provides the perfect combination of the sombreness of a violin with a much more energetic tempo

Finally I'd like to say that whatever you guys decide to do will probably turn out pretty cool. I have great faith in your abilities to convey a sense of gothic grimness to the players through every aspect of design and I know that you'll keep doing a splendid job!

VampireSlayerr
5th Aug 2014, 02:14
I find the music quite fitting for the main menu but as for the gameplay music, its a different story. Many times the repeated music feels boring and dull. I would recommend different music for both the vampire and human classes. Current music seems possibly fitting for the vampire class. However I don't believe the music matches the personality the humans portray.

ihKu47
5th Aug 2014, 08:26
I want to join in on supporting the menu music, it sold me the game the first time I played despite the still un-Nosgothy menu graphics (the new ones are largely an improvement, btw!). That said, I do cautiously agree with the above:

I would recommend different music for both the vampire and human classes.

While the themes during the matches are awesome and really get me in the mood, it would be interesting to experience the same levels with different music playing different factions in a war where somewhat different things are at stake. If the devs don't want to have different themes that's fine. The humans in Nosgoth aren't good guys and can (given the situation) have similar ambitions to the vampires, and I would never have even thought of the different themes without VampireSlayerr. It would be a nice thing to try out, though.

Vampmaster
5th Aug 2014, 10:25
What would you guys think about remixing music from Nosgoth using similar sound samples that were used to create the songs from the older games. I think that could be what made the original tracks so unique and could be what's missing from the newer ones. I think Kurt used samples of other things besides traditional instruments. It would be handy to have a list of was used.

SixieV
6th Aug 2014, 00:20
I love the theme, but the countdown drum/gong is my favorite part :D

I think it all fits in a very "may the fight to the death BEGIN!" sorta way. Nosgoth aint no happy place.