PDA

View Full Version : Article on massively about Nosgoth.

Khalith
22nd Mar 2014, 04:27
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/21/first-impressions-nosgoth-is-all-right-but-that-might-not-be-e/

A bit harsh in my opinion, but he does make a few decent points. This is the first game of it's type that I've ever played, I never played any MOBA, Left 4 Dead, or any other game he compares this one to, I never held any interest in games like those, Nosgoth being a part of the LoK series is what drew me in. My only real issue with his review, is that the game is still in Closed Beta and still has a lot more needed to be patched in and added to it, no game is perfect of course but I'm a bit more gentle with criticism in regard to games that aren't really "finished" yet.

PencileyePirate
22nd Mar 2014, 05:25
The author clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. For starters, they call the original Soul Reaver an RPG, which is completely wrong. Also, they don't seem to know what a MOBA is:

You're dropped into arena and try to kill one another, then you swap sides and try to do the same thing. I may not be a god among men in the MOBA genre, but I know the drill.

For those unaware, MOBA's are a RPG/RTS hybrid such as DOTA2 or LoL. Nosgoth isn't a MOBA (or anything like one.)

Most of the actual criticism seems to surround the fact that the game doesn't provide tutorials or coddling for new players. I don't quite understand the issue they takes with learning by trial & error, since that was once the norm for most video games. Either way, I think it's more of an opinion than good, constructive criticism.

Slyzeroth
25th Mar 2014, 09:21
Most of the actual criticism seems to surround the fact that the game doesn't provide tutorials or coddling for new players. I don't quite understand the issue they takes with learning by trial & error, since that was once the norm for most video games. Either way, I think it's more of an opinion than good, constructive criticism.

Plus he hasn't considered that the game is in a closed beta phase, I wouldn't be surprised if games didn't have tutorials at this point of development.

Ygdrasel
25th Mar 2014, 19:20
Yeah, this is just a really long-winded cry of "OH MY GOD, WHY WON'T THE GAME HOLD MY HAND?!"

I mean, really...

Back in alpha, I put in feedback over some lack of basic instruction (primarily how pouncing and flying work, as I got conflicting player advice on how to activate flight and my time in L4D led me to believe pouncing was a simple hold-and-release affair) and it was handily corrected. I don't need a whole bloody tutorial.

Oh, and one of the comments is something like "there's no documentation, you have to just memorize key bindings..." - There are...What, four or five buttons (not counting mouse button to attack because it's obvious) and half of them displayed on the screen at all times? Yeah, real tough.

I didn't even grow up in the age of punishing shooters and Nintendo hard stuff and I still weep for these pansies...