PDA

View Full Version : Thief Deadly Shadows wont start

jimbolaya
6th Apr 2010, 01:49
I have an AMD64 3000+ with 2GB RAM and an ATI HD4650 AGP video card. When I try to start Thief Deadly Shadows, it gets to the Loading... screen, the bar goes across the screen then then black and back to Windows. About 1 in 3 tries, I get a "Send Error" dialog box.

Does anyone have any ideas?

James

theBlackman
6th Apr 2010, 04:48
Star here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Try a search for BLACK SCREEN, or Crash on start, or Loading screen crash.

You can also try www.TTLG.com Try the technical forum and the Legacy games. With just the information you gave I can't be more specific. There are many things that can cause that. The AMD should not be the problem, as I am running with the same chip.

Sometimes it is the video card that causes the problem. Check the ATI site for possible fixes for the game itself. The newer Catalyst drivers sometimes won't run the game. If your card is running DX10, you will also get a crash.

If you have a WIDESCREEN monitor, then you may need the DDFIX application.

jimbolaya
15th Apr 2010, 21:29
Thank you for your help.

I checked for the DDFIX application and I found this on the ttlg forum:

Quote Originally Posted by massimilianogoi View Post
I need of this program for testing my T3 maps and scripts on my laptop. The resolution are 1280x800: it is possible to use it?
Do you mean "T3" is "Thief: Deadly Shadows?" If yes, then you won't need DDFix at all because this patch is for Dark Engine-based games only, whereas T3 is a Flesh Engine-based game.

Most of the rest of the stuff has to do with multiprocessor issues. I've got an AMD socket 754 processor which as far as I know aren't multicore. I'm pretty sure the card only does DX9.

What other information would you need?

James

theBlackman
16th Apr 2010, 07:12
What is the Error? You can do a PRINT SCREEN then type the error code, or text of the error message for us.

What ATI application are you using? Is it the latest Catalyst application? If so you might need to back down to an earlier version.

Did you check the ATI website for a patch to allow TDS to be run? When suggestions are made you really should try all of them and let us know which you did, or did not check.

DDFIX may not be your answer, but when threads or such are mentioned, READ EVERY PAGE. Many times a solution is hidden in an individual post.

Is your system a Laptop, or Desktop? Is it an off the shelf unit such as HP, Dell etc. The manufacturers website is the first place to look when you have a problem with a game. They often post patches for games that have crashed on systems. This includes, ATI, AMD, Microshaft and the others.

What operating system are you running? Vista, XP, Win7? All of these have differing solutions to a black screen problem.

jimbolaya
24th Apr 2010, 20:57
What is the Error? You can do a PRINT SCREEN then type the error code, or text of the error message for us.

It's very intermittent. I was fortunate to get it to show up. It's the standard Windows error box that says "Thief: Deadly Shadows has encountered a problem and needs to close. . . " I can sometimes get errors like this to pop up if I run another video intensive application. Otherwise, it just doesn't show up. I can put the contents of the report that would be sent to Microsoft somewhere if you like.

Is your system a Laptop, or Desktop? Is it an off the shelf unit such as HP, Dell etc. The manufacturers website is the first place to look when you have a problem with a game. They often post patches for games that have crashed on systems. This includes, ATI, AMD, Microshaft and the others..

It's a home built desktop. The motherboard uses the SiS 760 chipset.

What operating system are you running? Vista, XP, Win7? All of these have differing solutions to a black screen problem.

I'm running XP Pro, 32-bit. I should also mention it's not strictly a black screen problem. It dumps back to the desktop very quickly, normally with no error message at all.

theBlackman
24th Apr 2010, 22:26
I suggest you take it to a area where you can open it up. Hook up just the monitor, KB, Mouse and open the case.

Fire it up and run it (TDS). If nothing happens it is probably HEAT. Check all the fans to make sure they spinning and are not crudded up. If cruddy clean them. Hook up a fan (portable) to blow through the case. If not spinning, replace.

Then try removing one stick of RAM at a time if you have more than one. Fire it up. Play the game. If it runs, then it's possible the RAM is bad. If it doesn't swap the RAM sticks one at a time to the first slot.

Start with a single stick and swap them all out one at a time. Running the game each time, of course.

If you have no problem then it's possible your Power unit is not strong enough.

What is the power rating of your power unit? What do you have hooked up?
MOBO, DVD/CD (1 or 2), Vcard, CPU most 240-350 watters are not enough with the new chips and Vcards.

You might check the Microshaft site for a MEMTEST app. You should be able to burn one to a Floppy and run a RAM test.