PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Revert the Shadow Bomb nerf

Tube_Reaver
20th Mar 2014, 16:56
Hello all,

I personally believe that in the previous patch the Reaver's Shadow Bomb was far more effective compared to the current version.

The change that occurred in the latest patch is as follows:

Reaver
Shadow Bomb
- Clouded vision effect duration now depends on how long you were inside the Shadow Bomb

Most players tend to make it out in 0.5s and therefore the total duration is actually something slightly over 0.5s (perhaps around 0.8s)

While it is not as bad as it was in Alpha, it has gone back to feeling rather useless, as in the previous patch it actually had a lot of game-play added to it due to the length of the duration outside of the shroud even if it hit you slightly, but it did not feel annoying or overpowered, it felt like a good choice even compared to choking haze.
However now it has gone back to just blocking the Line of Sight of the vampire team.

Cheers.

RainaAudron
20th Mar 2014, 17:06
I agree, the Shadow Bomb is not as effective as before now so I´m using Choking haze again.

PencileyePirate
20th Mar 2014, 17:14
I think shadow bomb is how it should be, please leave it as is. The listed change was a huge improvement. It made no sense to be in the smoke for a split second and then end up blinded for significantly longer.

ThatsNotMyPirate
20th Mar 2014, 17:29
I have to agree with tube.

When Balancing the game I think everyone has to have the state of mine of "What makes interesting gameplay"

Now I see this from two sides.

1.People tend to go with Choking Haze because of that awesome DPS. The nerf to Shadow bomb just end up making it a weird skill. It's a skill that sometimes helps the human because it's hard for Vampires to see through also (if they aren't inside it.) And if a vampires are inside it, they are easy shots for humans.

2. That being said, I can't see how being tagged for a bit with it and not being able to see for that long ends up being unintersting gameplay.

So I have two ideas.

1: Revert the change, but the vision slowly clears up once out of the AOE, rather then it just staying on till it ends. That way it isn't so punishing, but still rewards players for landing a good bomb, and rewarding skilled players for getting out of the range in time. With this change it is also possible to make the bomb go off faster, but lower the AOE range so its more skill shot intensive and dodge skill intensive.(Skill base play is what makes MLG Games) (I believe vamps should still be able to see through it easier). Even if you miss your target it still is a zone CC.

Or

2. Revert the change, but humans Flash Bombs type skills clear the effect(the effect not the AOE zone), or clear it up once casted for that moment. (Vamps should still see past smoke bomb).

Why this change? Because it will force humans to make a choice, Do I use the bomb to clear the effect, or do I wait for the vampire to attack and hope I land it on him as well. (You may also want to lower the AOE for this flash bomb to land on vampires in this case, so it takes some skills to land a blind flash bomb. Also cooldown should be 25-30 if not already.)

Keep in mind I don't want the effect of "This skill counters this" cause that should never happen. The goal here is to make CHOICES. The "What do I do" Effect. "Do I clear the effect for my teammates? or do Do I wait to use it on a vampire?"

This change is good because like with vampires, they want at least 1 Smoke bomb for support.

Now the humans will want at least one flash bomb for support. This also makes smokebomb more useful, to try to clear out blinds skills(AKA Flash bombs) before going in (Also Blinding shot shouldn't clear this effect I think).

Tell me what you think of my ideas.

MasterFurbz
20th Mar 2014, 18:27
Some additional blindness to players caught in the intial explosion (could be radius based?) would be greatly beneficial to the skill. Most players dodgeroll as soon as they hear the clink. Current shadowbomb is pretty lackluster and is difficult to get any benefit out of against more experienced players.

PencileyePirate
20th Mar 2014, 21:49
Some additional blindness to players caught in the intial explosion (could be radius based?) would be greatly beneficial to the skill. Most players dodgeroll as soon as they hear the clink. Current shadowbomb is pretty lackluster and is difficult to get any benefit out of against more experienced players.

I think this would be a good compromise, as the initial blindness could be lengthened a little. I just don't want them to revert back to the previous implementation where time spent in the explosion didn't matter.

Tube_Reaver
20th Mar 2014, 22:13
I wouldn't mind some compromise, but it's current form is just too weak. Something in between the current and previous versions is good for me.

Boreaquis
20th Mar 2014, 22:20
I definitely think the previous version was a bit too much, but the current one seems fairly inconsequential. I quite like NotMyPirate's first suggestion.

cmstache
20th Mar 2014, 23:44
Make it similar to CH where there is a "minimum effect". Maybe 2-3 seconds if caught in the initial blast, and add time for "time in skill." I also think sunlight vial negating it would be nice. Vial desperately needs a buff.

Omhxyz
21st Mar 2014, 05:54
1-1.5 sec on initial blast would be nice, anything more is overkill tho. Sunlight vial idea is awesome, makes total sense.

ThatsNotMyPirate
22nd Mar 2014, 02:57
1-1.5 sec on initial blast would be nice, anything more is overkill tho. Sunlight vial idea is awesome, makes total sense.

Thank you. I think skill interaction makes classes more unique. Also highers the level cap of the game which pro players love to see.

cmstache
22nd Mar 2014, 03:03
It's actually "raises" the level. But, I agree. And I was thinking about a way of doing this this morning... (Details possibly to come in the future.)

DX2014
23rd Mar 2014, 12:50
I really like pirates first suggestion as it makes sense for smoke to clear and sight to return over time, rather than sticking fog in your face for a fixed duration.

The most useful thing I found with the smoke bomb was the tagging of enemy positions that come into contact with the smoke. That disappears far too quickly now, making the skill less worthy compared to the DPS of choking haze.

The idea of clearing darkness with light also makes perfect sense, though I feel that should be tested internally first to see what impact it has during matches.

HoneyMuffins
24th Mar 2014, 14:34
I agree, I used to use it when I first started playing but I saw no point in it, I couldn't hide in it, couldn't use it to any effect that benefited my team or myself greatly. Every Reaver I see uses Choking Haze, I rarely see Shadow bomb unless they probably haven't gotten Choking Haze yet. Love to see it used ingame and help the team.

ThatsNotMyPirate
24th Mar 2014, 15:10
Thanks Dex2014. I'm glad you all like my idea so much. I can only hope it is a change I get to see one day haha.