PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Another patch before Founders packs release?

PencileyePirate
19th Mar 2014, 11:14
Will there be another patch before the Founders packs release?

If so, would anyone from Psyonix discuss whether the next patch will address any of the following? The first bullet-point is particularly important. I honestly don't want to put any money into the game until these game-breaking problems have been addressed:

AFK'ers and leavers are a constant problem, creating unbalanced games. I don't know how, but this needs to be fixed.

Even with recent matchmaking fixes, it's not uncommon to sit in the lobby for 20 minutes before it fills.

I know NA/EU region select is already planned, but I think it should be implemented ASAP. High latency (>100ms) has become unplayable after vampire melee aim-assist was nerfed.

Implement server-browser or reconnect so players can re-join their previous game after a crash or disconnect.

The issues above cause of 99% of my frustration with Nosgoth, sometimes to the point of wanting to uninstall. If they were to disappear before Founders packs drop, I would be a very happy gamer.

Psyonix_Eric
19th Mar 2014, 18:03
Will there be another patch before the Founders packs release?

If so, would anyone from Psyonix discuss whether the next patch will address any of the following? The first bullet-point is particularly important. I honestly don't want to put any money into the game until these game-breaking problems have been addressed:

AFK'ers and leavers are a constant problem, creating unbalanced games. I don't know how, but this needs to be fixed.

This is going to unfortunately happen in any online game. There's nothing we can really do to prevent people from leaving a match if they either get accidentally disconnected or if they ragequit. Even if we implemented something where you physically could not exit a match (which we wouldn't) people would still Alt+F4 if they wanted to. The best solution we have is what we currently do which is to match people into a game already in progress when they try to search to fill that spot ASAP.

If memory serves me right we have an AFK kick that should go up with the next patch. I think it's 90 seconds.

Even with recent matchmaking fixes, it's not uncommon to sit in the lobby for 20 minutes before it fills.

We still have a small playerbase which is being remedied as Square invites new people. Once Founder's Packs go live and people are able to either invite themselves in or to recruit friends then this situation should be helped some.

I know NA/EU region select is already planned, but I think it should be implemented ASAP. High latency (>100ms) has become unplayable after vampire melee aim-assist was nerfed.

This is in currently. I've seen it in the latest build we're working off of and it's entirely optional.

Implement server-browser or reconnect so players can re-join their previous game after a crash or disconnect.

We have no plans currently to make a server browser, to my knowledge. Rejoining a previous game after a crash might be a possibility but then instead of filling that spot with someone immediately (to prevent the imbalance you mentioned earlier) you'd be stuck with a man down until that person reconnects. And what if that person doesn't want to come back? There's a lot of "what if"s in that situation.

The issues above cause of 99% of my frustration with Nosgoth, sometimes to the point of wanting to uninstall. If they were to disappear before Founders packs drop, I would be a very happy gamer.

Comments in-line.

Razaiim
19th Mar 2014, 18:33
To address Eric's point about rejoining a game after a crash:

My thought's on this would be: if a person is forcibly disconnected (or crashes), they do not have priority over other players, but when they try to join a match, the game does a quick check to see if the previous session is still a)running, and b)has a free spot, before trying the usual matchmaking process. That way, if they DC, and are able to get up and running in time, they can join the match again provided no one has claimed the slot.

WhiteFlameKyo
19th Mar 2014, 18:43
The best solution we have is what we currently do which is to match people into a game already in progress when they try to search to fill that spot ASAP.

There should be some kind of an exp bonus for people who join a match in progress. About twice a day I land in the last 1-3 minutes of the second round, which results only in wasting my time. I mean, sometimes I'm not even able to hit anyone before the time runs out.

PencileyePirate
19th Mar 2014, 18:53
First of all, thanks for the quick responses! Can I assume your response means there will [probably] be another patch before Founders packs drop?

This is going to unfortunately happen in any online game. There's nothing we can really do to prevent people from leaving a match if they either get accidentally disconnected or if they ragequit. Even if we implemented something where you physically could not exit a match (which we wouldn't) people would still Alt+F4 if they wanted to.

I was thinking more along the lines of an EXP or gold penalty for repeat offenders (detecting manual disconnects via the UI.)

If memory serves me right we have an AFK kick that should go up with the next patch. I think it's 90 seconds.

That's reasonable, but at the same time, a long time for a fast-paced game. Any chance of a warm-up mode + player ready system (not necessarily in the next patch, but somewhere down the line) to prevent people from killing AFKers and skewing scores during the grace period?

To address Eric's point about rejoining a game after a crash:

My thought's on this would be: if a person is forcibly disconnected (or crashes), they do not have priority over other players, but when they try to join a match, the game does a quick check to see if the previous session is still a)running, and b)has a free spot, before trying the usual matchmaking process. That way, if they DC, and are able to get up and running in time, they can join the match again provided no one has claimed the slot.

Agreed. The quick-reconnect feature should just alert the user if the slot has already been filled.

Psyonix_Eric
19th Mar 2014, 19:16
First of all, thanks for the quick responses! Can I assume your response means there will [probably] be another patch before Founders packs drop?
I'm honestly not entirely sure what the correlation is between the next patch and the Founder's Packs. They're almost two separate entities since the Founder's Pack content is complete but it's more of the backend systems that need to be finished before they go live.

I was thinking more along the lines of an EXP or gold penalty for repeat offenders (detecting manual disconnects via the UI.)
This is something we've talked about before because as Nosgoth players ourselves it's pretty annoying to have someone drop out on purpose. We haven't come up with a final solution on how we want to handle it but we haven't given up on the idea.

That's reasonable, but at the same time, a long time for a fast-paced game. Any chance of a warm-up mode + player ready system (not necessarily in the next patch, but somewhere down the line) to prevent people from killing AFKers and skewing scores during the grace period?
If 90 seconds ends up being too long it's easy to adjust. We'll keep an eye on it and on feedback we get once it's get out into the wild.

Agreed. The quick-reconnect feature should just alert the user if the slot has already been filled.
I have nothing to do with the matchmaking system (just a dumb ol' artist ;) ) but I think this is a good idea. I'll bring it up to the team and see what is possible.

k8Faust
19th Mar 2014, 21:43
This is something we've talked about before because as Nosgoth players ourselves it's pretty annoying to have someone drop out on purpose. We haven't come up with a final solution on how we want to handle it but we haven't given up on the idea.

What about black marks? Accruing X amount over X time period will give other players more right to play than a black-marked player. So, black-marked players must wait longer between leaving one match and joining another (abandonment cooldown), and joining a match places them in a black-marked queue (must wait X seconds to permanently join), wherein another player would be given the right to join if they attempt to do so before the queue expires. Black marks decay over time.

Furthermore, being autokicked for AFK could give black marks as well, but only half as many for leaving. This way, quitters who think they're being smart by just AFK'ing instead of simply leaving won't go unpunished.

PencileyePirate
20th Mar 2014, 06:56
@k8Faust, I'm not sure forcing those players to wait longer between leaving and rejoining would be best; to them, it's more of an inconvenience than a penalty. Although, I think you're onto something here.

Repeat offenders could be flagged (not visibly in UI, but by matchmaking system) and only put into lobbies with other known AFKers & leavers. I think there was a game that did this with cheaters to some effect. The repeat offender status would decay if the user stopped AFK'ing or leaving prematurely.

Boreaquis
20th Mar 2014, 22:11
All I want is the ability to queue up with my friends end up on the same team as them.

MarinePikachu
21st Mar 2014, 06:19
All I want is the ability to queue up with my friends end up on the same team as them.

same man. Dont have to worry about afkers and leavers then. All the afkers and leavers will have not made any friends on this game I assume so they will all be on the same team. I really hope next patch reenables the party system. With the community being upset with the recent patch that really messed some things up adding the party system would really make some people happy.

RazielOfNosgoth
21st Mar 2014, 15:33
In my humble opinion... (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=11252&p=91031#post91031) http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/images/icons/icon3.png