PDA

View Full Version : Lay-offs hit IO.

Bevacur
29th Mar 2010, 19:19
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178536

A shame really.

Will this effect the development for Dog Day's?

One of Seven
29th Mar 2010, 19:40
I feel for you IO guys.

dark_angel_7
29th Mar 2010, 19:47
Yeah I saw this last week. :(

Unfortunately this is the way video-games companies seem to be working right now. They hire loads all at once and when they don't need these people they get them to finish off bits an bobs of whatever they're working on and then make the redundant. It's not just Square Enix/Eidos (who have been constantly down-sizing their head count for some time now) but also other companies such as EA, Activision and more. Its a bad business practise and I hope it stops one day.

I hope these guys and gals find some news jobs ASAP or hopefully get re-hired by IOI one day in the future. Best of luck to them all. ;)

Will this effect the development for Dog Day's?

Nothing, usually these people are working on another game. IOI still has nearly 200 employees and they only have three games in development as far as we know of. With Dog Days have been in development for a number of years now (around 3-4 years by the time of its release) it should be safe.

Kent-45
29th Mar 2010, 20:06
I love how companies love to throw around words like "restructuring" and "organizational changes"

Funny how it's never the managers who get fired when times get tough. It's always the little guys.

Vulture
29th Mar 2010, 21:12
well it wont effect the develeopment of dog days but i'm very sad to hear that my favourite dev is hit by lay-offs.
its a bad sign that company might even get smaller if dog days wont be a success.

BeardedHoplite
29th Mar 2010, 22:17
Damn, that's a shame
But hey if IO (or any other favored game company for that matter) goes under you know they will be back with a majority of the former employees in a new company.

jtr7
30th Mar 2010, 00:13
If anything, it will affect morale. But maybe they can channel the fear and anger into the characters.

Brackstone17
30th Mar 2010, 00:47
My best wishes to anyone affected by this. I always get concerned when my favourite devs have lay-offs. First Blueside, then IO, this year isn't off to the best start with all these lay-offs at game companies.

One of Seven
30th Mar 2010, 01:26
Blueside had layoffs? Man, things are sucking for devs at the moment.

Bionicicide
30th Mar 2010, 10:20
200 is a lot for one title, 165 is still healthy since 100 is what I've been hearing for triple AAA titles. Maybe they were hired for menial tasks...

Bawabus
30th Mar 2010, 19:37
Hope those dudes find some work, but it seems like this is the nature of the business as it is right now (it sucks). You get a lot of people working for you while there's a heavy work load whose positions aren't guaranteed once their work is completed, and then you fire them when you don't need them anymore.

Nick@IO
31st Mar 2010, 08:15
200 is a lot for one title, 165 is still healthy since 100 is what I've been hearing for triple AAA titles. Maybe they were hired for menial tasks...

We're working on more than one title at IO :)

Bevacur
31st Mar 2010, 13:06
*cough* Hitman *cough*

Kent-45
31st Mar 2010, 13:40
Now what makes you think IOInteractive would be making a 5th installment to their best selling and most widely recognized series? Crazy talk sir. Crazy talk.

Bevacur
31st Mar 2010, 14:17
Now what makes you think IOInteractive would be making a 5th installment to their best selling and most widely recognized series? Crazy talk sir. Crazy talk.

I know! Someone slap me. I mean who the hell could think of making the 5th game to the widely acclaimed Hitman? The series that has generated millions.

Someone slap me! Am i insane?!

Vulture
31st Mar 2010, 15:25
IOI is currently working on 3 different projects: K&L:2,Hitman 5 and an unannounced 'new' sequel.

One of Seven
31st Mar 2010, 17:09
Here's hoping it's Freedom Fighters 2!

Acid_Burn
31st Mar 2010, 22:38
and an unannounced 'new' sequel.
Actually, it's not IO's sequel. While Crystal Dynamics are busy with Tomb Raider Series, Square Enix passed one interesting title from them to IO. More details this Friday ;)

[April Fools Joke]

Brackstone17
1st Apr 2010, 00:25
Very interesting, I didn't see that one coming. If I had to guess, I'd say the sequel could be Legacy of Kain, which would be very interesting as IO as the developer.

Also, I never realized IO had so many employees. I always thought they were a bit smaller.

Nick@IO
1st Apr 2010, 07:20
Actually, it's not IO's sequel. While Crystal Dynamics are busy with Tomb Raider Series, Square Enix passed one interesting title from them to IO. More details this Friday ;)

Eh, what?

dark_angel_7
1st Apr 2010, 07:47

I'm now confident you have spies at IO Interactive. :p Today IOI, tomorrow the world! :D

Anyway, this makes me interested for Friday and I cant wait to see what happens. I do get the feeling we'll see LoK stuff or maybe something else (another Gex?).

GrievousOdyssey
5th Jun 2010, 14:29
It was bound to happen , i was surprised last year when Pandemic Studio shut down while IO didn't loose a single staff member ...

It's still bad news but i'm glad IO is still standing ... rest in piece Pandemic ...