PDA

View Full Version : The rise of the Videogames medium.

Just_Cause_U_Luv_Me
28th Mar 2010, 10:14
Alright a wee discussion thread about the rise of our beloved medium and how it is now revered as 'mainstream'

It wasn't so long ago that playing games was somewhat of a guilty pleasure :rolleyes: but over the past what10 years? things have progressed into the mainstream market.

Why do you think this is-What are the defining moments in gaming history and where are we going in future?

I think personally games are becoming bigger in the mainstream because of sandbox games (we all know of the classics and the inspiration for the new ones showing up) i feel with sandbox games you have more freedom to do as you please (in most cases if not all) and that excites the human mind but not only freedom,in most cases there's strong narrative and engaging stories to get lost within and to me that's one factor of the rise of the video game.

Sure more linear games have strong narrative et al but having a strong story and then the freedom to shape that story or basically live it is what i believe is making gaming more and more the dominant medium.

Sorta like animation movies video games give the developer artistic free reign to tell a story be it politically motivated or just to have fun and there's much more you can get away with when it comes to video games. :D

I reckon the future will be all about sandbox games. I personally feel we are about to leave the linear world behind.......... but who knows right? & that is very exciting because unlike the Movie medium,there is no limits to how we tell our stories.

Error96_
28th Mar 2010, 23:40
I think it was the release of the first Sonic the Hedgehog game that really turned video games from a novelty to mainstreem. There were big evernts before that like tetris, pac-man, space invaders, Mario etc but Sonic 1 was the big one. The high quality of the graphics, level design and the brill iconic image of Sonic just pushed the video games industry so much further forward. From then on video games had wide appeal to both children and adults.

Both Mario and Sonic really pushed things forward on 2D games. The next big milestone was the 3D era. The first Tomb Raider was up there with the pioneers of 3D game and in particular the emersive nature of games like TR showed the realism that video games could be capable of.

After that it is harder to idenify particular games as being revolutionary and it became alot more down to the consoles. Where Sega initially dominated video games Sony with the PS1 took over and that pushed lots of new series forward. Perhaps the biggest game for getting a younger generation hooked to video games was Pokemon with it's addictive, strategic and endless gameplay.

Linearity will always have some place with things like the handheld consoles but in the full consoles think the bounderies will keep pushing forward.

Just_Cause_U_Luv_Me
29th Mar 2010, 01:56
I think it was the release of the first Sonic the Hedgehog game that really turned video games from a novelty to mainstreem. There were big evernts before that like tetris, pac-man, space invaders, Mario etc but Sonic 1 was the big one. The high quality of the graphics, level design and the brill iconic image of Sonic just pushed the video games industry so much further forward. From then on video games had wide appeal to both children and adults.

Both Mario and Sonic really pushed things forward on 2D games. The next big milestone was the 3D era. The first Tomb Raider was up there with the pioneers of 3D game and in particular the emersive nature of games like TR showed the realism that video games could be capable of.

After that it is harder to idenify particular games as being revolutionary and it became alot more down to the consoles. Where Sega initially dominated video games Sony with the PS1 took over and that pushed lots of new series forward. Perhaps the biggest game for getting a younger generation hooked to video games was Pokemon with it's addictive, strategic and endless gameplay.

Linearity will always have some place with things like the handheld consoles but in the full consoles think the bounderies will keep pushing forward.

Top post mate,you touched on many things from my own history with games. :thumb:

Sonic will always be revered as a great. Agree with the rest too but lets see how others view it-especially the younger generation.

cbrookf
4th Apr 2010, 00:16
i think open world is the way to go, but not sandbox...

ie: i had more fun with morrowind than gta, mercs 2, just cause 2, ect...

Just_Cause_U_Luv_Me
4th Apr 2010, 11:39
i think open world is the way to go, but not sandbox...

ie: i had more fun with morrowind than gta, mercs 2, just cause 2, ect... Yeah man,i think your onto something.

I'd not do away with sandbox games such as the JC's GTA's etcetera but i do feel games that are not sandbox games like the COD series or similar. (can't think of any other linear games) could be better as 'open world' in that you can get a bigger playing area and tackle objectives in differing ways each time.

I guess linearity won't ever go away though,given the fact many games rely on linearity to deliver very high graphic/detail levels..