PDA

View Full Version : Just cause 2 HUGE Performance increase!

Elcrunchy
25th Mar 2010, 22:42
Hello!
I'd just like to say that Just cause 2 is an insane game! But i was suprised the performance sucked to bad no matter what i did ingame.

I have a 4gb, 32 win7, dual core 3ghz with GT240 newest drivers.

I know its not a UBER computer, but it still seemed weird with all the slowdowns.
But just now i found out why, maybe to some this don't work, but it made my game go from 20fps to 60+ fps! I'm not kidding and i run it at pretty high settings (low resolution 1023x768 but with aax4).

If you look in your process tab (ctrl+alt+delete) you most likely (not everybody) will see a processor or more named fahcore 78 or 82 or something. At me it said it took 50% of each cpu core, and thats alot!

On the internet everybody said it shouldnt affect at all because it would automatically stop using all the cpu power when you would enter a game etc, but for me it didn't. Dunno if it's my system setup or whatever but it ATE all my power.

I went to Computer/Local Disc C and found a folder named homefolder or some ****, i clicekd the uninstall exe in there and it went away. Now the GAME IS SMOOTH AS ****!!! XD

The area i start is usually pretty laggy, but now it was perfectly smooth.

So everybody go turn off that fahcore 78 or whatever it is ****, its not the game, its some bug or i dunno. :P

Thought the game was ****ty optimized, guess i was wrong!

Btw the game rocks, IM GONNA ENJOY IT TO THE FULLEST NOW!
Just wanted to tell everybody in case people don't know. :)

Edit: Lol at the smileys, i guess i better stop with all the swearing. :)

AMDFreak
25th Mar 2010, 22:47
heh sounds like you got bitten with some spyware/adware/peice of **** that shouldn't be there.

AUnjustCause
25th Mar 2010, 22:52
sense your post made none

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 22:57
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_fahcore

Elcrunchy
26th Mar 2010, 10:06
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_fahcore

Yeah i learned as much, except the cracked games part. I've had this fah_78 since i bought this pc, so i'm pretty sure it was the guys who assembled my pc that auto installed it with win7. (My pc is pretty new)

Helegad
26th Mar 2010, 10:19
FAH. Folding@Home. Helps cure cancer by folding protons and sending them off for analysis. It's an an ongoing project conducted by some scientific community. It takes priority of your CPU when it's folding, so yes, there will be slowdown.

People who play PC games should learn what is going on inside their box anyway, instead of just randomly turning off processes.

jaywalker2309
26th Mar 2010, 10:24
Same goes with SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence). This is a `run in background` program thats heavy on cpu usage (taking `idle` % of cpu but like all programs its not perfect in knowing when a machine is idle or not) AND it now supports CUDA too with nVidia users so taking graphics processors away from gaming..

Best to disable any background programs if not needed during gameplay

Arrowslinger
26th Mar 2010, 10:26
Yeah i learned as much, except the cracked games part. I've had this fah_78 since i bought this pc, so i'm pretty sure it was the guys who assembled my pc that auto installed it with win7. (My pc is pretty new)

It is also easy to miss, for example installing ATI drivers there is an option to install folding some may think this is just another cool driver option.

I have always stood by donate money to these causes and forget using my computers resources and life span.

Elcrunchy
26th Mar 2010, 16:35
It is also easy to miss, for example installing ATI drivers there is an option to install folding some may think this is just another cool driver option.

I have always stood by donate money to these causes and forget using my computers resources and life span.

Yeah, i mean i wanna help for sure! But not if it's gonna cost me my computer, if i wanted to help their research i'd just buy a cheap ass stationary from the stone ages and let it do its folding on that one. :P

sjaak327
26th Mar 2010, 17:18
Seriously, whilst background programs might have a big infuence on lower end systems, using the I7 it really doesn't have much influence, hell compiling a program using Visual Studio, that would completely bottleneck a dual core and last 40 minutes to compile, has no influence whatsoever on fps whilst in game. On games like GTAIV which are very CPU dependant, doing that and playing the game, still has zero effect on FPS. That's how powerfull the I7 is. Remember it's a quad core processor with HT enabled.

jaywalker2309
26th Mar 2010, 17:21
The i7 is a nice piece of kit but it does have limits ;) to say running programs in background has zero effect is a bit ambitious ;)

sjaak327
26th Mar 2010, 17:24
^ Yeah I know, but I used it as a figure of speech, like I said compiling a C++ program and running a game like GTAIV at the same time is fully possible, it wasn't on a dual core, as the CPU usage would go to 100% for 40 minutes on that processor :)

jaywalker2309
26th Mar 2010, 17:25
Windows 7 handles Multicore better then Vista, so just be upgrading OS would help too.. I dont have an i7 quad core, but i do have a dual core and a quad core, both running Win7 and both perform so much better then when they ran Vista..

Buttmunch
27th Mar 2010, 02:24
Seriously, whilst background programs might have a big infuence on lower end systems, using the I7 it really doesn't have much influence, hell compiling a program using Visual Studio, that would completely bottleneck a dual core and last 40 minutes to compile, has no influence whatsoever on fps whilst in game. On games like GTAIV which are very CPU dependant, doing that and playing the game, still has zero effect on FPS. That's how powerfull the I7 is. Remember it's a quad core processor with HT enabled.

No you are quite wrong. I've got 64 bit Win 7, 6 gigs ram, Nvidia GTX 285, and a I7 920. And GTA4 is hell on it. GTA4 is hell on everything. Infact I think I've just figured out how to screw up Just Cause 2, because all it does right now is go blue screen when I start it up. :mad2:

Edit: Nvm I had to get a new tv since Just Cause 2 demands a hdmi input or it just shows a blue screen. I also was a tad exaggerating on GTA4 it runs quite fine, but I have managed to crash it a few times...with a few mods.

sjaak327
27th Mar 2010, 08:23
^ GTAIV runs like a dream on my machine, I did talk about personal experience, so how could I be quite wrong ?

I run the game whilst compiling (a very CPU intensive operation), sometimes with a running VM as well no problem.

craig3000
27th Mar 2010, 11:55
The GT240 is not a strong card at all, the cpu and ram are fine though, lol no wondering it was lagging if your running folding at home, you must have installed it by accident with drivers or something