PDA

View Full Version : SENTINEL Suggested fix for damage threshold, skill cap, and the LONG, multiple tells

cmstache
15th Mar 2014, 02:39
Was thinking about the damage threshold for the grab at dinner. In an earlier post I noted how the cap just won't work with the amount of warning players get. Why don't you leave the charge with the grab in the game, but only make the sentinel screech when it's actually activated. This will fix MANY issues, gameplay-wise:

- First, I've had numerous times on raidcall the past couple of days where I was shot while charging the grab. They heard the first screech and assumed it should have dropped me. I had to explain to them that it wasn't actually activated. I've also seen people complain about the very same issue while knifing kidnappers. This will appease both the sentinels, who have control over whether they are seen or not, and the defending player who actually KNOWS if it's active or not, there would be no guessing whether it was the first or second screech.

-Second, it increases the skill cap. There were two things that made good sentinel players deadly in alpha. One was the ability to hide the tells until people couldn't react. This isn't as easy as it sounds considering he screeches on a steep dive as well as the activation and you can hear flight unless you manage to control the glide without screeching from a dive. The other was the steep dive after a kid/abd leaving a player vulnerable. The second issue is fixed. If a sentinel can circle around and land right to get the kill they've earned it now and no one can say otherwise. But, let the players hide the charge. You can't just instantly activate it like you used to, and if you go eve a little to far the grab isn't as forgiving and you WILL fly past them. Let the better players with charge/grab timing capitalize on that. Warning isn't nearly as important (not important enough to warrant 2-3 tells) since it's not as easy to kill 1v1 anymore. This will significantly increase the skill cap and stealth limits of the sentinel. You still can't use the fun "grab while hopping of the stairs" mechanic, so seems fair to me.

-Third, because you are back to 1 tell and not 3 the damage threshold might not have to be tweak near as much, if at all, since you're approach isn't announced 3 seconds from halfway across the map before you are actually there.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thoughts?

MasterShuriko
15th Mar 2014, 11:22
I approve this message

CoOkiedude
15th Mar 2014, 16:40
No thoughts, just do it. :D Honestly it also makes me unnecessarily nervous if there's 2 sentinels for example with all the wing-flap noises and the screeching. It creates too much of a psychological impact for no reason. And also what's with the wing-flapping being heard so loudly even if people are kind of far away from you? Weird. But I agree , again, on the tells. Make it less obvious.I'm not sure about making it so you only screech when it's activated because the activation time is now what? 1.5 seconds in total? So basically if you play your cards right they won't ever hear it...

I think the reaver is a perfect example of balance. You hear the growl so you know you can get pounced at any moment, but you don't know where they are. But even if you do get pounced , you don't feel cheated out of a reaction because there's the pounce sound too. So perhaps...screech when you start channeling the activation and then a different sound for when it's active? Or maybe no sound at all? Like, if you hear the screech you are alarmed but you start running when the screeching stops? How does that sound ?(pun not intended.)

cmstache
15th Mar 2014, 17:12
No thoughts, just do it. :D Honestly it also makes me unnecessarily nervous if there's 2 sentinels for example with all the wing-flap noises and the screeching. It creates too much of a psychological impact for no reason. And also what's with the wing-flapping being heard so loudly even if people are kind of far away from you? Weird. But I agree , again, on the tells. Make it less obvious.I'm not sure about making it so you only screech when it's activated because the activation time is now what? 1.5 seconds in total? So basically if you play your cards right they won't ever hear it...

That's a good thing if they don't hear it. As said, the punishment for them not hearing it isn't there anymore. My point was that the charge, while turning makes the distance hard to judge. If you wait too late you'll miss after the activation now. New/less skilled sentinel players will have to rely on activating it early, thus giving the tell to the defending player. This will only benefit the skilled players, not the unskilled ones. Which sounds good to me.

I think the reaver is a perfect example of balance. You hear the growl so you know you can get pounced at any moment, but you don't know where they are. But even if you do get pounced , you don't feel cheated out of a reaction because there's the pounce sound too. So perhaps...screech when you start channeling the activation and then a different sound for when it's active? Or maybe no sound at all? Like, if you hear the screech you are alarmed but you start running when the screeching stops? How does that sound ?(pun not intended.)

The problem with two tells is that it's just too long of a warning. It can't be done while in cover like the reaver. If you do, you can't see your target from around a building, thus more often than not missing and wasting your skill. I really don't see the need for the vast amount of warning that players get from a skill that no longer is chainable with other skills like it use to be.