PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid grounding sentinel?

PencileyePirate
14th Mar 2014, 23:28
In sharp dives (not the dive-bomb skill), usually attempting abduct, my Sentinel almost always grounds unintentionally -- despite any attempts to pull up sharply and level out flight. This typically leaves me in the middle of a party of 2 or more, dying before the take-off skill can even activate.

I feel like when not diving, I routinely fly lower than on these occasions I accidentally ground; my stomach practically skims the ground. Perhaps flying needs adjustment to prevent accidental landings? Or maybe I'm not doing it right?

Any advice to avoid grounding the Sentinel when diving for a grab would be helpful ...

Omhxyz
15th Mar 2014, 01:22
Are you sure you aren't taking damage? After the skill activation, taking 250 damage or more cancels the skill and lands you.

PencileyePirate
15th Mar 2014, 01:38
Is that new? It seems like it makes Sentinel useless.

Either way, at least some of the time, I'm not taking any hits until I'm on the ground.

SiD_Green
15th Mar 2014, 07:24
It's not new, but it seems there might be a bug that's causing lower damage to land you sometimes

PencileyePirate
15th Mar 2014, 09:31
Well, what I'm talking about is probably a separate issue; it happens only during steep dives when I'm pulling up at the last second. I can avoid it by pulling up a little earlier, but this has the effect of leaving my character higher above the ground than I'd like, and I sometimes miss the grab.

I can also level out my flight a little earlier, but this leaves me vulnerable for a few moments before the grab. I'd prefer a sharp, upside-down parabola motion, grabbing the enemy at the peak of the parabola, but this seems impossible with current mechanics.

PlagueMaster
15th Mar 2014, 09:44
The problem now is kidnap and abduct become chanelling skills, back on alpha you could use skill just before you take human in air, but now you must channel skill and then land on human, without practice it is not that simple. So now if you want to grab human, you must wait to your team initiate fight and never initiate as sentinel. Just fly from behind, and even if you land you can escape.

You grounding when you fly near ground or roof, try to land on "head" or "shoulders" of human, then fly to sky. And try not to fly near stairs, it is bug i suppouse, but I allways grounding when fly close to stairs, even if I don't touch them.

AnomalyXIII
15th Mar 2014, 10:25
I've had this problem before myself until I got used to how the Sentinel flies and looking in the direction I'm fly. It is possible to pull out of a sharp dive, when using abduct or not, but you have to give yourself a lot more room than you would rationally think. Pretty much if you don't remain at about head height (for a human) there's a chance the game will think you're trying to land. My only advice is to keep practicing and invest in the Take Off ability if it happens again. Take Off might be a bit of a damage loss, but you can't kill anyone if you're dead.

PencileyePirate
15th Mar 2014, 10:49
I've had this problem before myself until I got used to how the Sentinel flies and looking in the direction I'm fly. It is possible to pull out of a sharp dive, when using abduct or not, but you have to give yourself a lot more room than you would rationally think. Pretty much if you don't remain at about head height (for a human) there's a chance the game will think you're trying to land. My only advice is to keep practicing and invest in the Take Off ability if it happens again. Take Off might be a bit of a damage loss, but you can't kill anyone if you're dead.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out.

This is a separate issue, but recently I can't even get near a decent human team with Sent. Not sure if my opponents have gotten better or I've gotten worse, but I'm beginning to think Sent needs some sort of aerial defensive buff (or human aim assist needs a nerf.) Or maybe I'm just not using it right ... will keep practicing.

EDIT:

So yea ... I think my problem was mostly a lack of team play on vampires' part, then getting impatient and trying to be an initiator of attack (rather than playing a support role.) Your advice did help quite a bit with not grounding myself, so I'm now convinced it's just a matter of my technique.

I still wonder if Sent could use an aerial defensive buff, perhaps in the form of a new secondary skill (a complementary alternative for the evasive take-off and offensive dive-bomb skills.)

cmstache
15th Mar 2014, 15:07
I still think that echolocation should double as a defensive skill. Make it so that during the duration you can't be hit by any "non charged" arrows/bolts. Alchemists would remain unaffected, but it'd give some aerial cover while scouting or engaging, while losing damage or escape skills. I think with that 25 sec cooldown it's a fair trade-off.

XJadeDragoonX
15th Mar 2014, 22:17
Agreed. Echolocation is not viable unless it has another benefit. I use it pretty often in games where I play in a party tho

PencileyePirate
16th Mar 2014, 05:14
I still think that echolocation should double as a defensive skill. Make it so that during the duration you can't be hit by any "non charged" arrows/bolts. Alchemists would remain unaffected, but it'd give some aerial cover while scouting or engaging, while losing damage or escape skills. I think with that 25 sec cooldown it's a fair trade-off.

I agree with this ... (imo) it should also include immunity to the knockback (but not damage) on fully charged warbow shots.

SiD_Green
17th Mar 2014, 18:53
Doesn't it lower accuracy?

cmstache
17th Mar 2014, 20:17
It says that in the tooltip, but no one has been able to prove it. I've tested it real-time through voice-chat with people, and they didn't even know I activated the skill.

hirukaru
17th Mar 2014, 21:15
It says that in the tooltip, but no one has been able to prove it. I've tested it real-time through voice-chat with people, and they didn't even know I activated the skill.

You talking about Echo ?
yeah they still have to fix some things in it I guess to make that skill a decent for the suffering in DPS.
As you state your self you should or gain a X amount of immunity or the accuracy should be dropped (which does not happen, like we tested a long time before).

But we will see what they going to do about it. :flowers:

Hugbringer
18th Mar 2014, 17:46
When I'm diving, I visually try to just cover the human with my own body on the screen, if that helps with the visuals. Sometimes you do have to just ditch the dive though if it immediately looks bad when you start charging. Really focus on reacting quickly based on other vamps angle of attack.

If echolocation's aim debuff gets so severe though that if 4 sents with echolocation use it one after the other it would rob the humans ability to defend themselves effectively I think. I'd like it if had a burst disorient effect, like blindness does to vamps with a small spread increase afterwards. Would help the Sentinel personally and provide some area disruption even through walls and provide more teamwork options.

PencileyePirate
19th Mar 2014, 04:48
If echolocation's aim debuff gets so severe though that if 4 sents with echolocation use it one after the other it would rob the humans ability to defend themselves effectively I think.

I don't think this would be a problem as long as the time window on the effect is small enough to be used for escapes, but too short to be effective in battle. Also, it should not stack.