PDA

View Full Version : Gamepads support? (logitech dual action doesnt work)

svincent
25th Mar 2010, 16:37
Hi, support this game pc gamepads or only xbox 360 controller?

compatible
25th Mar 2010, 16:43
Hi, support this game pc gamepads or only xbox 360 controller?

only xbox 360 controller

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 16:59
I recommend using a program like x-padder as a work-around.

svincent
25th Mar 2010, 18:00
i tried xpadder but i could only replace logitech dual action for keyboard...so turning with vehicle is as "smooth" as with keyboard

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 18:11
Oh, that's a shame =\
Um, I know theres other programs out there, I just can't remember what they're called >_>

Menthalion
25th Mar 2010, 19:35
XBox controller emulator to bind any device on, see here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1318336#post1318336)

AUnjustCause
25th Mar 2010, 19:36
full remapable controller support should have been in the keyboard/mouse controls are just well plain bad and poorly thought out

Deadman
25th Mar 2010, 19:38
Agreed =\

Menthalion
26th Mar 2010, 00:34
I agree as well, but at least its a workaround. The problem is the Xinput vs.DirectInput (http://www.google.nl/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput%23DirectInput_vs_XInput&usg=AFQjCNHYGwmni887Khpl2MfHdxPNEixZSw&ei=hv6rS4bFNNTi-QbGipCrDQ&sa=X&oi=section_link&resnum=1&ct=legacy&ved=0CA0QygQ)dilemma, where the newer XInput is technologically inferior, but more tailored to the 360 controller and easier to implement. So Avalanche made the mistake to implement XInput, because there's no work needed for a port.

So basically, if they wanted to make remapping happen, they should replace not only the code for the settings, but also the code for the input itself, which seems unlikely.

That said, I wish Avalanche had set different preferences for developing the PC version. The graphics were already pretty nice, and only higher res textures would have made the PC version better than consoles graphic wise. However, control wise the PC could also be superior, with analogue movement (DirectInput) combined with the higher aim fidelity (mouse) PC gamers demand. But now, PC default control (keys) combined with the already wonky vehicle physics is the worst option, severily limiting playability and therefore box / DLC revenue.

AMDFreak
26th Mar 2010, 00:36
why in the world would you take a controller over the precision of the mouse for gunplay?

Menthalion
26th Mar 2010, 00:52
why in the world would you take a controller over the precision of the mouse for gunplay?

Because movement control (keys) sucks compared to an analogue stick just as much as aiming with a stick sucks compared to a mouse ?

Especially with the vehicle physics modelling in the game, which is laughable compared to dedicated vehicle games, but might just be saved by other sandbox games also dropping the ball (SR2).

That said we could have had the best of both worlds, if only DirectInput was implemented and we could rebind controls. I have a G13 (keypad combined with thumbstick) where I could use the stick for analogue movement, could still aim with my trusty 2000dpi mouse and have four fingers left for the keypad.

In games where I can use such a scheme it feels just like the step between key aiming and mouselook.

AMDFreak
26th Mar 2010, 00:54
guess ill take better overall controls and sacrifice a bit of my aim... the xbox 360 controller emulator works and works great. My cordless rumblepad 2 is now a 360 controller (at least the game thinks it is)

crvic
26th Mar 2010, 12:17
guess ill take better overall controls and sacrifice a bit of my aim... the xbox 360 controller emulator works and works great. My cordless rumblepad 2 is now a 360 controller (at least the game thinks it is)

I am doing the same, with my Logitech Rumblepad 2, it works in almost every game and the screen shows xbox buttons instead of logitechs

AMDFreak
26th Mar 2010, 17:50
I am doing the same, with my Logitech Rumblepad 2, it works in almost every game and the screen shows xbox buttons instead of logitechs

yea but i can't get my vibration to work on my rumblepad... oh well