PDA

View Full Version : Game released in Sweden, but can't play due to steam.

tomme25
25th Mar 2010, 13:23
Come on. What the hell is this crap?

Went down to my gamestop store and bought the game. Went home and was ready to install the game, then steam says I can't play because the game hasn't been released on steam yet (for my country) And it isn't released until tomorrow. So now I'm sitting here with a useless copy, until tomorrow.

This is so much bull**** I can't believe it.

First of all, europe have to wait a few extra days. I'm okay with that. Even though it seems strange, you know, swedish made game.

Then it is finally released, but I still can't play because steam hasn't got their **** togheter. Why even use steam? I knew this would screw up the Pc release.

I have an xbox also. I should have bought it for that instead and I didn't have to get this annoyed.

I know it might seem to be a minor thing to get all angry about. But consider that we in europe already have to wait a few extra days...

/Thomas

Stone Gargoyle
25th Mar 2010, 13:49
Join the club Thomas. Mr. Angry sat with boxed copy. UK.

morbug
25th Mar 2010, 13:56
Yeah, I agree. I got my copy in the mail and still, for some reason, steam tells me the game isn't released. Well I'm holding it in my hand so obviously it is. I just hate when publishers do things like this. The only thing they accomplish is to annoy their customers. This was the last time I ever bought a physical copy of a game that requires Steam.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 14:15
The launch day is the 26th in Europe.. so until then effectively the game is not released.. a lot of companies ship out the games early to ensure they get there for the day of release, but with Steam it means that if you get a day early you still have to wait until everyone else can play. Its just how it is am afraid. All Steam games are the same in that respect..

tomme25
25th Mar 2010, 14:31
The launch day is the 26th in Europe.. so until then effectively the game is not released.. a lot of companies ship out the games early to ensure they get there for the day of release, but with Steam it means that if you get a day early you still have to wait until everyone else can play. Its just how it is am afraid. All Steam games are the same in that respect..

I bought the game in a store. And they never release a game one day early. Several swedish websites that sells games says that the release date is today. Some do say 26th, but who can you trust? And I didn't even know that the game required steam.

http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=84065 today
http://www.game.se/acatalog/Just_Cause_2_360_Xbox_360.html today

After looking carefully on the box, I can see that it actually says it requires steam but it is so tiny, I have problems just making out the words.

Anyway, next release, please make sure that the game is released the same day steam is.

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 16:28
Got my copy today (UK) and it won't let me install something that I OWN, absolutely ridiculous.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 16:28
Think you can trust that the publisher of the game knows their own release date :)

Stores will unfortunately sometimes break date to ensure they get the sale over a bigger store (not always but does happen) and whereas obviously the consumer isnt to blame when stores do this, the fact steams online servers ensure everyone gets to play at same time means the stores are actually not helping the situation :(

Online stores like Play/Amazon etc will ship them aiming for them to arrive on the release date, but again sometimes this means the consumer can get them a day early. This cannot be helped and again users will have to wait until launch day (7.5 hours from now)

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 16:36
So it unlocks at midnight?

And that reminds me, I got Aliens VS Predator for the PC a day early which needed to be activated on Steam and that installed, played and ran fine, could even have a match online so what's up with this?

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 16:39
They probably activated it the day before, we just fixed a date and its been stuck to.

I know its annoying for consumers who get things early, but whats the point of having release dates if its not stuck to..

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 16:44
But it is unfair for the ones who paid for the game, have it and can't play it. If I bought the 360 or PS3 version I would be playing it right now so it's just the PC users that get singled out, hell even the pirates were playing it days ago but us legit owners can't play it? Feels like I'm being cheated out of it, release date or not, I have the game I should be able to play it.

Paddywak
25th Mar 2010, 16:48
... (7.5 hours from now)Steam says ... This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 3 hours.
Please, are you able to clarify if the game will unlock at midnight or not ?

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 16:48
Again i can only repeat, the official launch day is tomorrow in the EU.

So YES whilst its a bit unfair because you've gotten your game early, it is still EARLY.. launch day is launch day.. Users who pre-ordered the game on steam have to wait until midnight before they can install it.. its just one platform where control is afforded for this..

Its like xmas presents.. ya folks buy them well in advance of the actual xmas day (well cept some who buy them on xmas eve cos they dont know what to get and panic buy) but still u cannot open them until xmas day.. thats what launch day is SUPPOSED to be like..

Steam says ... This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 3 hours.
Please, are you able to clarify if the game will unlock at midnight or not ?

Will chase for you, but its definitely not 27 hours..

Stone Gargoyle
25th Mar 2010, 16:53
We understand deep down jaycw2309, and your words ring true no matter how much we glare at the box in front of us. We have it early sure, but that by no means gives us the right to go ape as the game officially is not yet released. It's just frustrating but hey one more day is one more day and I'd rather take that than wait another week or more.

It's almost there for the taking lads, just be patient. ;)

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 16:54
If it is 27 hours then that's just even more ridiculous...

It's almost there for the taking lads, just be patient. ;)

Inconceivable!

Paddywak
25th Mar 2010, 16:56
Will chase for you, but its definitely not 27 hours..he-he ... thanks for the heads up ... :)

Zenin
25th Mar 2010, 17:01
i shouldn't have to wait i have the disc in my hand, the guy working at steam who thought of this crap needs a serious slap.

there is no real benefit to anyone..seriously can you think of a VALID reason for this restriction..?

actully makes no sense whatsoever...:mad2:

Rexie
25th Mar 2010, 17:03
...How about uninstalling steam?

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 17:04
i shouldn't have to wait i have the disc in my hand, the guy working at steam who thought of this crap needs a serious slap.

there is no real benefit to anyone..seriously can you think of a VALID reason for this restriction..?

This.

...How about uninstalling steam?

You need to activate the key through Steam so nope, won't work.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 17:05

If you worked on this side of the fence you'd understand better, but as a gamer myself i totally agree its hard to see why, but believe me the amount of money spent on marketing campaigns etc all geared around a date means that we always try and get those dates hit for a reason..

If it was possible to ensure not a single copy was in consumers hands until actual date supposed to be then no one would have reason to complain but we cannot :(

Stone Gargoyle
25th Mar 2010, 17:07
If you are so desperate to play it just occupy yourself with the demo until Steam unlocks, that's what I'm doing. A release date is a release date. No point causing a ruck over it.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 17:16
Check the page now :)

Aeon09
25th Mar 2010, 17:26
Better than 27 that's for sure, got to keep myself busy until then.

snakeman65
25th Mar 2010, 17:43
Awesome, midnight it is! I was really upset that i'd have to wait until 8pm as I booked tomorrow off work to play it!

Paddywak
25th Mar 2010, 18:02
Check the page now :)Cool ... thank you !