PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Performance

sjaak327
25th Mar 2010, 10:41
Hi people,

I seem to be having performance issues:

I7 920 at 3.2 Mhz (slight overclock)
6 GB Ram
GTX 260 1798 at 626 clock (slight overclock)
Windows 7 X64

Settings:

Resolution 1920x1080 (full screen)
Texture Detail High
Shadows Quality High
Anit-Aliasing 4x
Anisotropc 16x
Water Detail High
Objects Detail High
Decals On
Soft Particals On
V-sync Off
Hihg Res Shadows On
SSAO off
Point Light Specular Off
Bokeh Filter off
GPU Water Simulation On

Now I am getting anywhere between 30-20 fps, as in it never reaches higher then 30.

That seems to be a bit on the low side for such a system, by comparision, running GTAIV (not known as a highly optimized game) with settings maxed out, I get 55 fps with dips to 40.

Any ideas what setting I should change to get more higher fps.

By the way, the game seems to be running ok, it's just that the fps seems a bit low to me.

Thanks in advance.

Ventrex
25th Mar 2010, 11:14
Ye I'm also experiencing low fps issues with the same settings as you have (expect that GPU Water Simulation is off) and I'm using a better rig than yours.
I think this game definitely needs to be more optimized to work on the high end systems better.

ZombieSkydiver
25th Mar 2010, 12:52
This game may not be "overclock friendly". I'd set your CPU and gfx card back to their factory speeds and try that.

High res shadows and GPU water simulation are big performance droppers. Mess with your settings and keep running the benchmark until you find a config that works.

sjaak327
25th Mar 2010, 12:57
^ Thanks setting High res shadows off,(and GPU water simulation) indeed leads to a massive fps increase, gone up about 15 fps.

Edit: upgraded the drivers to 197.13, setting the high res shadows off as well as GPU water simulation, running benchmarks, the following results, the first comes in at 32.5 fps, the second at 44.52 and the third at 23.83, I guess I could try and stop the overclock on both CPU and GPU, or just life with it.

jaywalker2309
25th Mar 2010, 14:16
Have you tried not running 4x AA..? how much of an impact is that having on your fps

sjaak327
25th Mar 2010, 16:06
It is set to 4 x AA. Like I said, the game is definitely running smooth, but the FPS is as posted by benchmark, between 44 and 23.

I'm not complaining by the way, I'm simply loving this game to pieces, utter fun it is. Just thought with a machine like that, it should have a bit higher fps, but I decided to ignore it, as the game doesn't lag at all, and is fully playable.

compatible
25th Mar 2010, 18:46
why have you got 4x AA with 1080p res, it is just not needed when you go to 1080p or higher it will just kill your system , AA is only used to get rid of jagged edges at low rez, i also am using 1080p and it makes no difference in graphics quality with it on..

brannonsweet
26th Mar 2010, 00:25
Same here.
I'm a quad core i5/7 at 3ghz overclocket(2.6ghz) factory
BFG Nvidia gtx 260 OC with 896 MB ram
2560x1600 monitor (Native)
4 gig ram
Windows 7 64 bit.

Performance sucks, even with everything on medium, and all bells and whistles turned off. The game "optimal" settings is unplayable. I even loaded the new Nvidia drivers today that cam out a couple of days ago.

sjaak327
26th Mar 2010, 00:27
^ Thanks, that does make sense, the benchmarks are now:

1 = 44.51
2 = 54.59
3 = 30.53

These values are much more logical considering the hardware, thanks for helping me fine tune the game, much appreciated.

The game looks amazing in any case.

Edit: The ^ was referring to compatible's post.'

In any case the above benchmarks (1=The Dark Tower, 2=Desert Jungle and 3=Concrete jungle) were ran with these settings:

Texture Detail High
Shadows Quality High
Anit-Aliasing off
Anisotropc 16x
Water Detail High
Objects Detail High
Decals On
Soft Particals On
V-sync Off
Hihg Res Shadows Off
SSAO Off
Point Light Specular On
Bokeh Filter On
GPU Water Simulation Off

Maybe it would help you Brannonsweet, indeed the latest drivers 197.13 from Nvidea.

One final edit: I actually changed three things, have set water detal and object detail to very high, and enabled the high-res shadows, these three additional settings are loosing me only 3 fps in all three benchmarks, 1=41, 2=51 3=27, these are acceptable values for me. Seems that indeed the things that helped me: Updated drivers, No AA and the GPU Water simulation, the last one is tough on my system apparently.

AMDFreak
26th Mar 2010, 00:56
i've noticed a lot of games arnt fond of GPU overclocking. Even if it's stock OCed form the company. If all else fails try setting your GPU to stock settings from the GPU manufacturer. (Nvidia,ati)

brannonsweet
26th Mar 2010, 05:13
Thanks Sjaak and Amd Freak. I'll try both and report back.

brannonsweet
26th Mar 2010, 06:08
Before going furhter, I have to say that when I drop my screen resolution down to 1920x1080, the game runs silky smoothe for me. This is a issue for me as I have a 32" widescreen native 2560x1600 res. I understand that more video memory is required for higher resolutions, but even whan I drop all settings down to low in this game at 2560x1600, the performance id LAGGING. Something just isn't right. Ona possitive note. At least I can play at a lower (Non native- a bit fuzzier) resolution.

Texture Detail High
Shadows Quality High
Anit-Aliasing = 2x
Anisotropc 16x
Water Detail High
Objects Detail High
Decals On
Soft Particals On
V-sync Off (Huge frame rate killer)
Hihg Res Shadows Off
SSAO Off (Often a frame rate killer)
Point Light Specular On
Bokeh Filter On
GPU Water Simulation Off

RunningBare
26th Mar 2010, 06:24
Why are you using any AA at resolutions at or above 1920x1080?
btw, the GTX 260 is a good card I was using one myself a few days ago until I got my HD5870 but I think you give it a little too much credit expecting good performance at the resolutions you're using.

sjaak327
26th Mar 2010, 10:27
^ You might be right, allthough it does perform great on games like GTAIV, which is not exactly known as a high FPS game, allthough I guess that game depends on the CPU a lot.

Like I said a few post up, I'm happy now, in game fps ranges from 70 to 30, that's acceptable for me.